Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

... "promises to take Holland America Line in a bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before"...

..."It's not that we're doing something completely different. It's just that we're doing it a little bit bigger," Ashford said....

Somehow those two statements do not add up. :rolleyes:

Oh. So they're going to announce its new shows that'll use the Kdam theater space, I'd guess in collaboration with a theater company (pick one of many greats ones in NYC).

Or a new cooking school/demo type agreement with a culinary school or major chef. Danny Meyers to HAL, please! (Yeah right ... )

Somehow those two statements do not add up. :rolleyes:

I agree. But hey, it's HAL. The PR people come up with a good tag line, and who cares if it matches reality. It doesn't have to be true, it just has to get your attention. And look at all these posts. It DID get our attention.

"It's about telling our story [of cruising in a classic style], in an exciting way."

"Telling our story?" Perhaps every passenger is going to get a pop-up book of the history of HAL?

I'm not sure HAL itself said those words. Might have just been an eager reporter that put them into HAL's mouth.

The first one was something other than HAL as the source. However while there's a lot about this announcement my sources aren't aware of, I have it on good authority that a couple of these changes are pretty huge

I've got an idea of what the announcement will absolutely NOT be:

"Holland America Line announced today that following the success of Cunards Princess Suites concept, the McKoningsdam Sky Deck will be refitted with a new concept: The Sky Promenade.

The Sky Promenade will feature a full ring of Suites circling the top passenger level. All Sky Promenade level suites will be both an outside stateroom, with a sliding door opening onto a second, top level teak wraparound deck, and also feature a veranda facing the open central area of the ship.

Each McSuite will overlook the Lido pool and have the ability to override the volume for all external PA announcements and entertainment. The verandas will also have a canvas covering that can be extended during inclement weather.

The Sky Promenade deck will be restricted to passengers who have booked Sky Promenade Suites, and teak loungers will be abundant.

The refit is expected to delay the launch of the McKoningsdam by at least 3 years."

Hahaha!

Edited by HALFans

IMHO HAL is long, long overdue for some major changes if they want to stop the downward slide.

HAL has been resting on yesteryear's laurels for too long.

But the words huge announcement and HAL seem incongruous in the same sentence.

Maybe they are announcing that they will move the fixed dining times forward by 15 minutes.

Edited by iancal

has been posted to CC yet

The announcement to the public isn't until Thursday. IF CC has been given the information in advance they would be under strict instruction for when it's allowed to be posted on the site.

Edited by InTheWASide

One message that Holland America, often perceived as a cruise line for older people, hopes to convey is that "it's less about age and more about attitude," Ashford said.

Uh, Mr. Asford, who are you trying to kid? Perceived? Hahahaha! All those electric scooters charging up every night in the elevator areas aren't part of the ship's artwork. ;)

IMHO HAL is long, long overdue for some major changes if they want to stop the downward slide.

HAL has been resting on yesteryear's laurels for too long.

But the words huge announcement and HAL seem incongruous in the same sentence.

Maybe they are announcing that they will move the fixed dining times forward by 15 minutes.

That's hilarious....but oh so true. I just disembarked a wonderful Oosterdam cruise, but I was constantly reminded how behind the times HAL really is.

And if the less they do what other cruise lines are doing I'll be happier! Everything HAL tries something the other cruises lines it just waters down a product that was what quite fine.

Maybe HAL is announcing a bumper car feature with a new twist.....cruisers use their own scooters.

Oh yes...there is a reason why HAL is perceived as a cruise line for older people (like me). You know what they say...perception is reality.

We recently sailed with RCL and while it was a very nice cruise I missed some of the things I have learned to expect when cruising HAL. I missed the lotion in my stateroom (only suites and above on RCL), I missed my chocolates on the bed along with the next day's activities at the end of the day, I missed the tiles, and the inexpensive but useful shopping bag. I missed the wonderful towel animals that get more complex each day. I missed the Cruise Log that I have learned to expect at the end of my cruise. I missed the helpful locations information and lectures. I missed the friendly and efficient stateroom attendants that I have gotten used to on HAL. I missed the peaceful promenade deck. I REALLY missed my stockholder OBC!

And I missed the Library full of wonderful books and resource information and the little NY Times newsletter keeping us up to date on world issues.

Edited by oaktreerb

Maybe HAL is announcing a bumper car feature with a new twist.....cruisers use their own scooters.

Oh yes...there is a reason why HAL is perceived as a cruise line for older people (like me). You know what they say...perception is reality.

Thanks for the laugh.

You had better be careful. You might come around the corner and one of those older grannies on a scooter might beat you to the next Lido line.

So called 'perception' is nonsense.

Perceived? Its got a stigma attached that its the Retirement Village. Whether rightly or wrongly.

In Australia, I find that HAL cruises ask for a large deposit. They have some nice itineraries. But the repeated comments of it being a lot of scooters on board and not so friendly deposit requirements leads me to look at other cruise lines.

Edited by icat2000

[/b]

You had better be careful. You might come around the corner and one of those older grannies on a scooter might beat you to the next Lido line.

So called 'perception' is nonsense.

I think he better be careful that one of these days, around the corner, is a scooter with any of our names on it. But for the Grace of God anyone may need one of those scooters to get from bed to bath. :eek: I am totally able bodied but so respect those who travel and cruise and get out and about despite their limitations and disabilities. I find no humor in anyone's disability.

JMO ....

Edited by sail7seas

I agree. Most of HAL's most recent changes have not been for the better as far as passenger comfort and care. So many things they changed and eliminated totally are morphing HAL into an altogether new product in so many ways. The day they start switching from (many) Dutch Captains and Indonesian/Filipino stewards will be devastating to HAL lovers.

IMO

(edited for space, red for emphasis)

The problem is they aren't morphing into anything new. New for HAL, maybe, but not new for the industry. The more they change, the more they become like all the rest.

The problem is they aren't morphing into anything new. New for HAL, maybe, but not new for the industry. The more they change, the more they become like all the rest.

It seems like most changes (all the lines I'm familiar with) are not for the best -- other than from the perspective of "corporate".

One exception which comes to mind is the addition of a suites only dining room (Luminae) on Celebrity. Likely in response to The Haven restaurant on NCL - but no matter the reason, it was nice to see.

Tom