Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

Thanks for a well-rounded thought process that you shared on the topic.

I don't travel solo so I'm sure my comments can come across not too far from "well you have SOMETHING so deal with it" but at the same time, the majority of those that ganged up on my comment in previous posts are on the other end of the spectrum, not too far from "but I expect the world and perfectly midship and the best locations and for it to be an identical price to lowest possible inside rate at the same time with no supplement" and that if precisely that doesn't get offered they almost seem to take offense to it... and that part truly baffles me... Not thrilled with a location/option...fine. Entitled to your own opinion... but those actually acting offended... REALLY?!

Your feedback I think helps to put everything into perspective. HAL is not setting out to target the solo traveler market so they don't really have an incentive or need to build huge unique complexes like the studios on newer Norwegian ships with special lounges, etc.

The fact they are offering anything, anywhere shows they are listening to feedback that guests and cruisers in general are giving. And for those that it works for great.

For those that it doesn't, there are 1300+ other rooms on Koningsdam.

And if none of THOSE work then Koningsdam clearly isn't the ship for that potential cruiser. :D

How about a happy medium?

Something in the middle of the very possible worst and the very possible best? There certainly can be a compromise of something reasonable being offered as other cruise lines have demonstrated.

I sailed solo in a Penthouse on NCL this summer. The fare was 200% so it is not a foreign concept to me.

No need to make anyone who disagrees be painted as unrealistic, unreasonable and to be quite so dismissive of someone else's needs and wishes. Lots of things you want probably mean nothing to some of us. Some of the things I want likely are of no import to some others but it is really okay to be respectful of their wishes.

As a solo traveler on many cruiselines over many years, I don't find HAL to be much better or worse than other mass market lines for solos. On the plus side, HAL crew and staff always seem pleasantly attuned to ensuring solos get noticed and served at bars, seated with others at dinner, etc.

There are pluses and minuses to solo cabins. People have asked for them so ships are beginning to provide them. But chances are good they will still be more expensive than the equivalent category "half of double" rate.

Smaller ships and lines seem to do a slightly better job of catering to solos. It is kind of ironic that I can sail on lines that are more upscale (due to lower or no single supplements) for nearly the same cost as on the mass market lines -- an exception being Oceania which rarely has solo-friendly pricing.

At any rate, I'm sure HAL will have no problem filling the few Koningsdam single cabins.

I travel solo. I'm now at the stage in life where I can take HAL's longer cruises. On the longer itineraries (a month or more) on the smaller ships (e.g. Prinsendam, Maasdam) I've met a lot of solo travelers. The friends I've made who sail on the World Cruises or other Grand Voyages are all solos. I sailed transatlantic R/T Ft. Lauderdale in 2011 on the Maasdam. The ship's capacity is approx. 1240 PAX. We sailed with 1100 passengers, and every cabin was booked. Over 100 cabins were occupied by solos.

How about a happy medium?

Something in the middle of the very possible worst and the very possible best? There certainly can be a compromise of something reasonable being offered as other cruise lines have demonstrated.

No need to make anyone who disagrees be painted as unrealistic, unreasonable and to be quite so dismissive of someone else's needs and wishes. Lots of things you want probably mean nothing to some of us. Some of the things I want likely are of no import to some others but it is really okay to be respectful of their wishes.

Likewise :rolleyes:

Not only did I praise that poster that I quoted as giving good perspective and middle ground but I already made basically the same point you did... so your subsequent lecture was way out of line

Edited by InTheWASide

Hi all!

Hey I just was on my IPad (Headliner) app for news. I always go to Travel and guess what popped up?

Boldly go where no man has gone before! Never done before in cruising!

A cruise line called STAR TREK cruises. Will be launching in 2017. based in Miami will go to Nassau,Bahamas, Etc. will all be themed with rooms and crew. A lot of originals from shows and movies will be on board.

I went to StarTrekthecruise.com! Read it.

Could it be this?

I have no idea,but it does say this is the first for any cruise ship in the industry.

I could not find what ship!

Who knows!

I would not go on it!

I would be scared I would be beamed up!!!

Denise:)

A cruise line called STAR TREK cruises. Will be launching in 2017. based in Miami will go to Nassau,Bahamas, Etc. will all be themed with rooms and crew. A lot of originals from shows and movies will be on board.

If every automatic door on the ship made the special 'swoosh' noise when opening and closing, I'd almost take the cruise just for that. ;)

Hi all!

Hey I just was on my IPad (Headliner) app for news. I always go to Travel and guess what popped up?

Could it be this?

I have no idea,but it does say this is the first for any cruise ship in the industry.

Who knows!

I would not go on it!

It's a charter on Norwegian Pearl, Shatner will be there and the prices are completely insane. It had caught my eye, I looked into it more... I could probably hire Shatner for a private gig on my next birthday for less money than a balcony room would cost :eek:

Hi all!

Could it be this?

Who knows!

I would not go on it!

The Star Trek cruise you're talking about is a 6-day cruise on the Norwegian Pearl in Jan. 9, 2017. It's just a themed cruise, there are hundreds of them per year.

It's a charter on Norwegian Pearl, Shatner will be there and the prices are completely insane. It had caught my eye, I looked into it more... I could probably hire Shatner for a private gig on my next birthday for less money than a balcony room would cost :eek:

Bummer!!!

I really thought I was like Woodward, and Bernstien!!

Oh well back to the drawing board!

PS it did say boldly going into a new direction!:)

If every automatic door on the ship made the special 'swoosh' noise when opening and closing, I'd almost take the cruise just for that. ;)

Be careful what you wish for. Have you ever seen the out-takes from the original series? They had a lot of trouble with the doors and the actors often walked into them! :eek:

Apparently, this cruise sold out quickly. Will they temporarily change the name of the NCL ship to the Norwegian Enterprise?

A Star Trek cruise? lol

I might have gone to see EVERY Star Trek movie on the first day of release, but I'm not going to be cooped up on a ship with Klingons for an entire week (they have an offensive odor after all)! ;)

Tom

And I bet the gagh isn't served live :eek: (so why bother) :rolleyes:

Are the prices for an outside with no balcony much better?

Would it be worth it to consider that style cabin?

Are the prices for an outside with no balcony much better?

Would it be worth it to consider that style cabin?

not really going to work suggestion wise, since the cruise is sold out (as posted above - post 211 I believe).

Edited by kazu

Hi all!

Could it be this?

Who knows!

I would not go on it!

I had been getting posts about this on facebook and it is one special cruise they offered and it is sold out already.

Thanks for a well-rounded thought process that you shared on the topic.

I don't travel solo so I'm sure my comments can come across not too far from "well you have SOMETHING so deal with it" but at the same time, the majority of those that ganged up on my comment in previous posts are on the other end of the spectrum, not too far from "but I expect the world and perfectly midship and the best locations and for it to be an identical price to lowest possible inside rate at the same time with no supplement" and that if precisely that doesn't get offered they almost seem to take offense to it... and that part truly baffles me... Not thrilled with a location/option...fine. Entitled to your own opinion... but those actually acting offended... REALLY?!

Hi, neighbors! I hope you didn't misconstrue my post as "acting offended"? I only meant that I would not choose to book a stateroom at that location on any ship. And anyway, the new build itself doesn't appeal to me due to its size. Whatever, I do sincerely apologize to you if the tone of my post appeared angry or disrespectful.

<off topic> According to your signature it appears that you'll be aboard Maasdam for the "Great Land Explorer" 14-day RT Seattle? I'll probably be booking that one (and happily paying the supplement, all the while wishing that I could earn commensurate Mariner points :) ) . Looking forward to meeting you.

Edited by Av8rix

Hi, neighbors! I hope you didn't misconstrue my post as "acting offended"? I only meant that I would not choose to book a stateroom at that location on any ship. And anyway, the new build itself doesn't appeal to me due to its size. Whatever, I do sincerely apologize to you if the tone of my post appeared angry or disrespectful.

<off topic> According to your signature it appears that you'll be aboard Maasdam for the "Great Land Explorer" 14-day RT Seattle? I'll probably be booking that one (and happily paying the supplement, all the while wishing that I could earn commensurate Mariner points :) ) . Looking forward to meeting you.

Hey there. Not all all. You're fine. But there are some that rant in a never ending fashion about something that based on cruise history wouldn't even be a contender anyway. My comment more focused on that situation.

As for the Maasdam we're actually just looking at the one day cruise. I'm not a big fan of the S class ships but it hasn't been to the west coast since I've been cruising and it's one of the few Hal ships I have never been on so we plan to remedy the situation [emoji2]

I love the look of that 14 day itinerary though. As many times as I've been to Alaska it's got ports I've never seen. Super jealous

Hey there. Not all all. You're fine. But there are some that rant in a never ending fashion about something that based on cruise history wouldn't even be a contender anyway. My comment more focused on that situation.

As for the Maasdam we're actually just looking at the one day cruise. I'm not a big fan of the S class ships but it hasn't been to the west coast since I've been cruising and it's one of the few Hal ships I have never been on so we plan to remedy the situation [emoji2]

I love the look of that 14 day itinerary though. As many times as I've been to Alaska it's got ports I've never seen. Super jealous

Re the 14 day itinerary. We did it this year. The off-the-beaten-track ports were so worth seeing. I don't think I will do it again, though. DH has no desire to go back to Alaska, and for the cost of the 14 day RT Seattle, I can do 2 b2b's solo. Of course that'd be budget onboard accommodation, but I am fine with that. :)

ahoy shipmates,

this big announcement could well be something to do with the new 'china fleet'. The carnival company has several ships from their various cruise lines heading east to find their fortunes in china. It would make sense to merge all those ships into one company and save a fortune in book work etc. Just a thought