UpGraded or Downgraded?

lenorjen

Booked 2 B2B cruises in a Promenade Window Cabin for 2 cruises Deck 8 Midship......just received Upgrade to Deck 2 Window last cabin at back of ship.......I am so upset...I did not want to change cabins between cruises and it it appears our old cabin is now re-booked to someone else....why can't they offer my so called upgrade to this new booking..this is not an upgrade in my opinion getting rid of a cabin that no one else would consider unless desperate...I am a Diamond Plus member ...where is the loyalty shown to me....I have made many attempts to sort this out ...but so far no help or resolving of this issue...it was 2 cruises to celebrate mu hubby's 70th birthday we are cruising with friends also on our original deck 8 ...now e are separated......not happy...

I would be upset too.....

Please keep in mind that your upgrade preferences on your profile on Royal Caribbean need to reflect your wishes. Unfortunately, there is no box to tick that states you would like to stay in the same cabin on a b2b. I had to call the Diamond Plus C&A desk and they noted it for me. They ticked the box that said "I would like an upgrade, but I have restrictions".

I hope that something can be done for you in this case - keep trying.

This is technically an upgrade going from an interior to a room with a window to the outside even though most would prefer the promenade cabin. This is why I mark "I do not want an upgrade" if I am happy with the current room. I just wish they had a "Contact me if you want to offer me an upgrade" option.

This is technically an upgrade going from an interior to a room with a window to the outside even though most would prefer the promenade cabin. This is why I mark "I do not want an upgrade" if I am happy with the current room. I just wish they had a "Contact me if you want to offer me an upgrade" option.

They do have that option, but it's not selectable via the website. You have to call C&A and ask them to set that option.

Just curious, what would be your stance if they had given you a Deck 6 balcony on just one leg? Seems to me the real problem is having to change rooms. This is why you need to check the no upgrade box when you absolutely want to keep the cabin you chose. Don't gamble on upgrades

Just curious, what would be your stance if they had given you a Deck 6 balcony on just one leg? Seems to me the real problem is having to change rooms. This is why you need to check the no upgrade box when you absolutely want to keep the cabin you chose. Don't gamble on upgrades

Agree...What RCI considers an "upgrade" may not be what we consider an upgrade....always best to not take that gamble especially on a B2B. I even prefer to keep my JS vs the chance to upgrade to a GS...no thanks. JMHO

I agree with others. The new cabin is clearly a higher category, thus an upgrade...unfortunately it was not a desired upgrade. Were your preferences marked "do not upgrade" or something else? Call and try to get back your precious cabin, then if you get it, Mark do not upgrade. good luck

I don't see this as not being fixable, RCCL can simply "upgrade" the people they put in your former cabin.

You would think it would be easy but once RCI decides something it's not easy to get it reversed.

Good luck OP. I hope you get this sorted out and get your stateroom back.

Bill

For me personally, I feel that promenade rooms are superior to oceanveiw rooms... If I were in a promenade, I'm not even sure whether I'd be "happy" with a balcony upgrade. Its very close, imo.

That said, I've done the B2B thing and changed rooms. Its not that bad. Rather than being disappointed that you were downgraded, try to think of it as an opportunity, since now you can experience both promenade and oceanveiw.

Unfortunately I did have the box ticked for an upgrade in my profile ...which I believe would be over 6 yrs ago when completed by hubby in the profile when we first joined ...this will be our 35th cruise ...so well and truly didn't even think about that aspect as it has never happened before now....my major objection is being moved between the two cruises ...have done this same 2 legs previously 3 times on the Voyager...so I am well aware of the inconvenience it brings....plus I have just got off the Voyager having been in a Promenade Cabin and have booked next year to Seattle in the exact same cabin number....really love it....what I do not understand is why they would upheaval a 27day voyage from Singapore to Sydney by splitting their cabin stay...only one thing comes to mind ...$$$$'s...so I will continue my saga with them but at this stage it appears they really don't care....so much for loyalty! thank you for all your comments

As your preference was marked to indicate you desired an upgrade, you likely will have to make the best of that upgrade. Not sure that are being uncaring or dissing loyalty by giving you what you asked for. You two made a small booboo and will learn something from it. Have a wonderful time.

I wish that there was a way to select our upgrade wishes cruise by cruise. Like many of you, I have multiple cruises books (6). While I may be happy with an upgrade on one cruise, there are others where we are booked in certain cabins/locations for a reason - to be near the grandbaby or friends. Those cruises I would not want an upgrade. Hate to say no to upgrades for all six cruises just to protect the one cruise where I need our cabin to stay the same.

I wish that there was a way to select our upgrade wishes cruise by cruise. Like many of you, I have multiple cruises books (6). While I may be happy with an upgrade on one cruise, there are others where we are booked in certain cabins/locations for a reason - to be near the grandbaby or friends. Those cruises I would not want an upgrade. Hate to say no to upgrades for all six cruises just to protect the one cruise where I need our cabin to stay the same.

I mentioned this to C&A years ago when the upgrade preferences were introduced. We also have several cruises booked, and some we want no changes and others we don't care.

I agree.

I feel really bad this happened to you..but if it is any consolation, I had NO idea this could happen. They didn't even ASK if you wanted an upgrade? They just moved you? Omg. Well, after reading all of the sage advice here, I immediately went to my profile and checked off NO UPGRADES.....So, I thank you all very much.

I spend a lot of time choosing our cabins and if this ever happened to me, I would FREAK.

Can they at least put you back in a promenade room on the same deck? I'd prefer a higher deck, even if it is not the exact same room.

I would keep watching and if a promenade room opens up, ask to be switched back.

Edited by marci22

I am sorry this happnd to you. I had to change cabins on my last b2B. It was not that bad. However, I agree there should be a preference listed that allows you to say you do not want an upgrade on a B2B if it causes you to move mid-cruise.

There is. It is under your C&A profile. It has many options. I would have never known about it had it not been for this discussion. :)

Unfortunately I did have the box ticked for an upgrade in my profile ...which I believe would be over 6 yrs ago when completed by hubby in the profile when we first joined ...this will be our 35th cruise ...so well and truly didn't even think about that aspect as it has never happened before now....my major objection is being moved between the two cruises ...have done this same 2 legs previously 3 times on the Voyager...so I am well aware of the inconvenience it brings....plus I have just got off the Voyager having been in a Promenade Cabin and have booked next year to Seattle in the exact same cabin number....really love it....what I do not understand is why they would upheaval a 27day voyage from Singapore to Sydney by splitting their cabin stay...only one thing comes to mind ...$$$$'s...so I will continue my saga with them but at this stage it appears they really don't care....so much for loyalty! thank you for all your comments

I'm an airline pilot. We "bid" seat position and aircraft type based on seniority. We put in a "standing bid." A friend of mine put in a bid for a different airplane and forgot about it over a few years. One day he found out he was slated to change airplanes and didn't even remember asking for it. We have a saying "bid what you want and want what you bid." The same goes with upgrades. "Ask for what you want and want what you ask for." I never have a request for upgrade as I put a lot of effort into cabin selection and usually don't see an upgrade to a different location worth the chance. As a veteran cruiser, you don't really have much of an excuse for not knowing your selected desires. I'm not unsympathetic to you, I learned the same way (not on a cruise, but at my job) that I need to keep things current. So it's the "school of hard knocks." I certainly understand your absolute disappointment. Call C & A. Maybe they can find a cabin that you can stay in for the b2b. If not, enjoy the cruise.

As for your comment "$$$$," yup. That's why they do it. They can usually sell the lower level cabins more than some of the upper level. So a Promenade is likely more "saleable" than the outside. So.. they upgrade someone who requests it, and sell their cabin. More cabins sold, more revenue. That is why they are in business.

Good luck with C & A. I have heard of these things being resolved. I'm sure they'll try if able.