anyone have a cruise cancelled? what did celebrity do?

seashell

There is another date listed for one of the jazz or blues cruise at 1/28/17. Currently the 10 days starts 1/21 and the 11 day starts 1/31/17 not sure if they are reverting back to 7 day cruises or what? Guess it is a waiting game now.

I'm booked on Summit 1/31/17 - 11 day Dutch Antilles - one of the cruises that would most likely be cancelled if all the Jazz Cruises sail as promoted. I had emailed Celebrity twice and finally got a call from Kara today. She apologized for the delay, told me that she can't speak for the validity of the Jazz Cruise promotions, only the information from Celebrity and she is seeing our cruise as a go.

If there were to be any changes, I was told my travel agent would be contacted immediately. I realize it's just more information to digest but wanted to pass it along.

I'm booked on Summit 1/31/17 - 11 day Dutch Antilles - one of the cruises that would most likely be cancelled if all the Jazz Cruises sail as promoted. I had emailed Celebrity twice and finally got a call from Kara today. She apologized for the delay, told me that she can't speak for the validity of the Jazz Cruise promotions, only the information from Celebrity and she is seeing our cruise as a go.

If there were to be any changes, I was told my travel agent would be contacted immediately. I realize it's just more information to digest but wanted to pass it along.

Also be sure to keep an eye on these boards, especially your roll call. Somehow, people on here are in the know and they post immediately when they have information. You will most likely find out if it is canceled on here before you will be contacted by your TA. That's just a guess but that is how I found out about my cruise when it was canceled.

Add me to the list of cruisers about to be cancelled. I booked a plan B cruise with Princess because I am not happy with how Celebrity is dealing with the situation and for now, giving my money to another line. Decided not even to do Royal either.

It just gets me that the sailings are all open to book as we speak when Celebrity knows they are going to cancel the cruise. To me, that just realing people in to try and keep them for a future cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Add me to the list of cruisers about to be cancelled. I booked a plan B cruise with Princess because I am not happy with how Celebrity is dealing with the situation and for now, giving my money to another line. Decided not even to do Royal either.

It just gets me that the sailings are all open to book as we speak when Celebrity knows they are going to cancel the cruise. To me, that just realing people in to try and keep them for a future cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know that learning that all the cruise lines does this will not make it right. I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. I booked a suite on HAL only to learn a few weeks later that it had been chartered. Well over a month later, HAL was still booking rooms on the chartered sailing.

that's the good thing in german laws... contracts are binding for both sides

oN the other hand, I loose my deposit completely if I'd like to cancel.

Had the case last year: booked a suite 18 months out, cruise line canceled the cruise - no idea why - case was at court - cruise line lost at court - I got much more $$$ than my deposit was (repayed as well)

We had been in the same situation. We had booked the MS Millennium out of Japan during Oct, 2016. We had noticed that although Celebrity still insisted that we were booked, the cruise was no longer listed. We began to hear rumors that Celebrity was in the process of chartering the boat out (they had done this many times before for cruises in Asia, and once the contract was signed, we would be notified and our cruise would then be cancelled. In that we book our air independently, this could have left us with air reservations to nowhere.

Because of this, we switched cruises.

Individuals do defend this practice, but I do feel that once any cruise lines accepts a deposit and reservation, they should not be permitted to charter it out. Cancel yes, but only if it is due to an act of god. At the very least, they should generously compensate the individuals that inconvenience.

We are booked on both of the affected sailings (1/21/2017 and 1/31/2017). I was hoping we could do a back-to-back. However, it was beginning to look like we would have to choose to do just one and were planning on the 1/31. Mute point now I guess. We really wanted to do the overnight in Aruba, so I have an itinerary on hold on the Eclipse.

My question is if I book the Eclipse now, can I still qualify for anything they might offer to compensate for the cancellations? We also prefer to cruise in February, we picked the January cruise(s) specifically because of the itineraries. I wonder if the February dates will be among the compensation choices.

:confused:When I visit the Celebrity site and type in Caribbean and dates January 2017-February 2017, very few sailings pop up. I am already booked on the 1/31/17 Summit cruise which most likely has been chartered (though they are still denying that - my TA called yesterday). Her Celebrity rep told her "a group of people interested in Jazz have booked a large no. of staterooms on Summit, and the inventory of rooms has been pulled for re-pricing." Seriously??????

I'm wondering if Celebrity is going to re-do many of the itineraries with different ships? That would be the best possible outcome for many of us, IMHO.

Your thoughts?

Edited by ninaslcpa

If you google Jazz cruise 2017, there appears to be two different groups. The Smooth jazz cruise, Summit, Jan. 21 and the Jazz cruise, Summit, Jan. 28. The latter stipulates Wait list only.

If they take another ship for our itineraries ( Jan 21 & 31), there will be other unhappy cruisers.

I don't have high hopes, but it would be the decent thing to offer us compensation that we could enjoy. Knowing Celebrity, they probably will have so many restrictions that many of us will not be able to take advantage of the offer!

:confused:When I visit the Celebrity site and type in Caribbean and dates January 2017-February 2017, very few sailings pop up. I am already booked on the 1/31/17 Summit cruise which most likely has been chartered (though they are still denying that - my TA called yesterday). Her Celebrity rep told her "a group of people interested in Jazz have booked a large no. of staterooms on Summit, and the inventory of rooms has been pulled for re-pricing." Seriously??????

I'm wondering if Celebrity is going to re-do many of the itineraries with different ships? That would be the best possible outcome for many of us, IMHO.

Your thoughts?

The chartering company advertises they only do FULL ship charters, so the X rep is engaged in "strategic misrepresentation".

if it is full ship charters they may be waiting to make sure they can fill it before they cancel us. I hope they make a commitment one way or the other soon. I was really looking forward to that itinerary. Thanks for everyone's comments. They have helped give me an idea of the possibilities. I guess we will be looking at other cruises. I just hope they tell us soon so we can plan.

I, too, am on the soon-to-be-cancelled January 2017 Summit Southern Caribbean trip. It amazes me that we have a contract and X feels they can cancel it in order to maximize revenue by booking a charter on those dates instead. It's at the very least lousy public relations/ customer service. They should book charters on trips not yet sold to the public. Do they really expect any loyalty when this is the way they treat their customers??

I believe that was the first time that ever happened to us too. You're right though - it's all about revenue for sure. I agree with what you said about maybe chartering a ship out in the distant future too before any public sales are mentioned - poor planning on their part for sure. We often hear they read comments on the CC board - honestly, who would even take the time to ready every single comment here. We fill out comments on-line but never heard back - ever - they're all that way - even Princess!

On the Silverseas forum there are people whose ports were cancelled after they were underway.

If the ports were cancelled to due something wrong with the ship or weather-related, I believe the cruise line owes those ports charges back to the passengers. Obviously, the cruise lines have the right to forego ports due to those types of situations and/or substitute another port.

I believe that was the first time that ever happened to us too. You're right though - it's all about revenue for sure. I agree with what you said about maybe chartering a ship out in the distant future too before any public sales are mentioned - poor planning on their part for sure. We often hear they read comments on the CC board - honestly, who would even take the time to ready every single comment here. We fill out comments on-line but never heard back - ever - they're all that way - even Princess!

The problem with that is if the charting company can't fill the ship, it gets released back. Since itineraries are released 2+years in advance in some cases, the chartering company would have to have full payments received prior to then. Non-refundable. How realistic is it to think that people will commit anywhere from 4-18k on a cruise 2 1/2 to 3 years before it sails?

I had to pay in full for my current Connie charter 7 months in advance. My 30% deposit was non-refundable 13 months in advance. And we're paying essentially rack rate with zero perks. The same cruise for 2017 (chartering the Carnival Miracle) I believe has to be paid in full, non-refundable, by 4/1/16. So nearly a year in advance. People are not going to commit non-refundable large sums of money much further out than that.

The cruse lines are not going to give up that revenue, either. If they can sell 75-80% of the berths at a discount with free drinks, gratuities, OBC and internet OR sell out the ship at rack rate with NO freebies except some OBC to displaced bookings, it's a no brainer.

I posted a comment on Celebrity's XX Page and got this reply:

Please be advised that the following Celebrity Summit sailings have been chartered and/or redeployed: January 14, 2017; January 21, 2017; January 31, 2017; February 11, 2017; February 18, 2017; February 25, 2017; March 4, 2017; March 11, 2017; March 18, 2017 and March 25, 2017. As a result these changes, please contact your travel agent or Celebrity directly to addresses compensation for your bookings on the impacted sailings.

So guess it's official!

I posted a comment on Celebrity's XX Page and got this reply:

Please be advised that the following Celebrity Summit sailings have been chartered and/or redeployed: January 14, 2017; January 21, 2017; January 31, 2017; February 11, 2017; February 18, 2017; February 25, 2017; March 4, 2017; March 11, 2017; March 18, 2017 and March 25, 2017. As a result these changes, please contact your travel agent or Celebrity directly to addresses compensation for your bookings on the impacted sailings.

So guess it's official!

Thanks for posting. My Jan 21st is gone, as well.

Between this, and now giving people permission to dress like skanks in the MDR, I'm about done with Celebrity.

Nina I read your reply so I called Celebrity today and they are still saying nothing has been cancelled, this is very frustrating, I have left a message for my celebrity travel agent to get in touch with me.

On our first Alaska cruise in 2003 the itinerary was a 9-day starting in San Diego and stopping in San Francisco before going on to Alaska. Our friends also booked this cruise with us in October for a May sailing. Air fare was purchased.

In January, our TA informed us that the cruise was now an 8-day starting in San Francisco. Celebrity refunded the cost of the one day cruise fare and paid the $150/pp change fee for the airlines.

Later on before our final payment, our TA informed us that the price had dropped $300 so we got that refund also. It was all handled very well by our TA.

Sue

Booked it the minute it was available.

Jan 31th 2017 11 Night San Juan, PR Carib / ABC's.

Aqua 1 cabin 1140 (best cabin on the ship for photography) & 123go.

Celebrity confirmed today it's a no go, 7 night Jazz Cruise instead.

$100 off our next cruise, must book by 11-20-2015 (10 days).

Celebrity spit in our face, not easy to forget.

CaptDave

Nina I read your reply so I called Celebrity today and they are still saying nothing has been cancelled, this is very frustrating, I have left a message for my celebrity travel agent to get in touch with me.

I spoke with my TA and also did a chat with Celebrity. Four optional sailings are offered, all on Equinox, dates 1/20, 1/30, 3/24 and 4/3 2017. Itineraries are not at all similar to what I had. $100 per stateroom for the "inconvenience" - if we do not take Celebrity up on this so-called "offer" by Nov. 20, we lose our perks.

VERY DISAPPOINTED - with how Celebrity treats its clientele.

Our TA called Celebrity yesterday and was told that the cruise is still on, they were just adjusting inventory. How do we ever believe what we are told in the future? Is it incompetence or just plain lying?