Tips for Excursion

ERIN123

Yes, another tipping question, but for excursions.

What is your "norm" for tipping on an excursion? Do you have a set amount, or do you usually figure out a percentage and tip that?

For me it depends on the tour and length of the tour.

If I am on tour that is no more then a few hours and they just take you to particular location and cut you loose, I may just give a few dollars. Now if guide, actually guides, I tip substantially more. A 2 day private tour we had in St Petersburg the guide worked her tail off. Just prior to arriving at the site she jumped out the van, got the tickets and arranged for us to skip the lines. Also gave very good detailed explanations of the sites. Also I took into account it was full 2 days. Similarly, on a post-Celebrity cruise tour we had in Rome (had a late flight out of Rome airport). The tour was a surprisingly small group and the guide they picked up when we arrived in the city of Rome. He did an outstanding job in about 4 or 5 hours of guiding through the Vatican and the Coliseum. Even though I seen both places several times before, I really enjoyed his presentation. I gave him a decent tip.

It really does depend on the tour. My norm is $5.00 for 2 people for 4 hours. So doing the math that would be .625 cent pp per hour. I normally only do excrusions through Celebrity. If I would hire a personnal driver it would be much more.

We generally tip $5 per person for +/- 4 hours and $7.50 per person for 6 to 8 hours. We also tip the driver, if applicable, a few dollars for less than 4 hours and $5 for longer excursions. Tipping the guide, of course, assumes they are competent and knowledgeable. We always tip the driver in any case.

For a half day we usually tip about $5 each and full day about $10 each.

There are variables of course, but that's about the normal.

Sometimes there is a separate driver and we usually give that person a couple dollars too.

This is a question with many possible answers. It would depend where the tour is. Downunder tipping is not expected or encouraged. If doing a ships tour where 18% is automatically added and is generally twice as much as a private tour I don't see the need to tip at all. The American culture of tipping everything that moves is in my view detrimental to the rest of the world as if an American is present so a tip is expected. What ever happened to doing a good job that one is paid for without the need to pay extra for the norm. WE have a private excursion in Athens next year where we have to pay 150 euros extra for a guide on top of the van hire. That equates to $US165 or over $US40 an hour. Do you think we need to pay that guide any more. I sure dont

Edited by Beanb41

On an excursion on Aruba, on my Panama Canal cruise, the "guide" was so snooty and unhelpful, I seriously thought about telling her that she should have tipped us! Needless to say, she didn't get much; I didn't give her anything.

Edited by Treven

Which cruise line was that on? :confused:

OK, we tend to do very few ships' tours, but have never had any tip automatically added.

JB :)

On Celebrity 18% gratuity is automatically added to everything and included in the "retail" price