We're taking the plunge - upgrading to a PH!

Leejnd4

Some of you have followed my threads as I've bellyached over what to do about our cabin. We are currently in a Veranda with one of the extended balconies (7009), but we are three ladies traveling sans husbands so we've had some concerns that the accommodations may be a wee bit too tight for our comfort.

We were hoping for an upsell, but I've been watching the O site and the number of PHs in the less expensive category have been dwindling. While there are several in PH3, there are only three left in PH2. We're now thinking the possibility of an upsell is unlikely, and we don't want to chance it.

So...we're taking the plunge! I just wrote my TA and asked her to move us up to a PH. I do wish we'd made this decision long ago - at this point the only PH2s remaining are right up in the bow, which means lots of movement. But we're all experienced cruisers and don't generally have an issue with motion sickness, so hopefully we'll be fine.

I spent untold hours viewing floor plans and photos of the Veranda cabins vs the PHs, and I have come to believe we'll be way more comfortable in the PH. Having the separate salon with a curtain certainly helps (for the one who will be on the sofa bed, which will not be me :p ). And having seating at the end of the bed, rather than ONLY the sofa bed, will be of great value too.

But even more important - we get a butler! Woohoo! This will be my first time cruising with a butler. It's something I've always wanted to do, but none of my prior cruisers offered the option within a price range that worked for my budget. With three of us sharing, this one does.

I'm open to suggestions on how best to make use of our butler! One thing I think will be of value is knowing that we can count on our butler to always have the sofa bed made up at night and put away during the day in a timely manner. (At least I'm assuming that!)

I'm also excited about being able to spend relaxing afternoons on the Spa deck. I'm going to be scuba diving most mornings, and in the afternoons I expect I'll spend lots of time on the ship...so that sounds lovely to me.

It may have taken us a while to get here, but...we did eventually. I just hope there are no glitches tomorrow and that my TA is able to take care of it quickly.

Good news, LeeAnne. Even though three women will still probably be somewhat crowded in a PH, it's better than a veranda! And the butler is a big plus. (I didn't think so when we first had the privilege of a butler but we've been converted!)

But I'm surprised that you say the only remaining PH2s are up in the bow ... those should be PH3s -- unless more cabins have been recategorized. PH1s should be midships, PH2s a little further out, and PH3s the farthest out.

But I haven't checked a current schematic ...

For the record, we've been far up front in the past, both in PH and VS, and even though I tend to be sensitive to motion, I haven't been unhappy there. In the Caribbean, you shouldn't have the possible problems that you might encounter in the North Sea!

Have a great cruise,

Mura

Having the separate salon with a curtain certainly helps (for the one who will be on the sofa bed, which will not be me ).

marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

Hopefully this will not be a deal breaker, but those interior curtains are just for show.

They are single panels of fabric.

LeeAnne

I can't recall which ship and when you are cruising.

You sound like we were only recently having our first PH on the Regatta and wondering how to best work with the butler.

They explain the workings well and don't be afraid to just ask questions.

The "downside" is that we are now hooked and have booked another PH on the Marina for Feb 16

Y'know, I remember reading elsewhere that the curtains don't do much. So you can't move them at all? Eh...oh well, that's a bummer but definitely not a deal breaker. Really, it's more about the seating/table at the end of the bed. In the Veranda room, when the sofa is made into a bed, we would have no place to sit!

Mura, thanks for the feedback on the PHs in the bow. The three that are showing available are 11000, 11001, 11003. Those are coming up as PH2s. PH3 is showing sold out. PH1's are more midship.

Keeping my fingers crossed that our TA is able to make it happen tomorrow.

As for getting spoiled...the truth is that this is probably going to be my last luxury cruise for a long time. Some of you have heard me mention my plans before: in a couple years my husband and I are planning on retiring, renting out our house, moving onto our 44-ft sailboat and cruising the Pacific for at least 5 years. So I'm kinda looking at this as my last big luxury trip. Soon enough I'll be cruising in FAR less luxurious digs. (Not that our boat isn't nice, but it's no Riviera, that's for sure!) :p

Edited by Leejnd4

Great move - congrats!

I know you will really enjoy the PH.

The best use of the butler, IMO, is to have breakfast or course by course dinner in your suite (from any specialty restaurant) when you feel like dining in your bathrobe & slippers instead of "going out" :D

I am so pleased you have been able to make this decision. You will not regret it, the veranda stateroom is way too small, with its restricted storage, for three ladies.

The walk in wardrobe alone makes this suite more acceptable; there will be ample hanging space for all. The larger bathroom and general space will mean you will not be falling over each other, or dare I say it, falling out!!!!

Re the butler making up the sofa bed. I don't think so! that is a task for your room steward and her/his assistant. Yes there are two of them preparing the suite for you each day. Not sure the curtain's not pulling will be much of a disadvantage, after all the two ladies in the single beds will not have any curtain.

I imagine you will have three reclining chairs on the balcony, and it will be a tight squeeze, but you will manage.

PS Try to see inside a balcony stateroom just to find out what you are missing. It will make the extra $$$ all the more acceptable!!! J

This year's cruise on O was our second with the Line. On the first cruise we had an extended balcony stateroom. This was fine even if we did have a whinge about the wardrobe doors and the safe that is set above my head!! We indulged in a Penthouse suite for our second cruise and I did not have a clue as to what I would do with a Butler.

This is what we did with Densan!! First he will show you round your accommodation and tell you all about the facilities. He then brought us tea that first afternoon. I drink mine with lemon and honey and every time we ordered tea, the honey and lemon came with it. We ordered early morning tea for each day. He did not bang on the door and make us let him in like on every other cruise, he came in silently, placed the tray on the table, and quietly left. Marvellous.

Every evening we had canapés delivered at 5pm. You have to fill out a form each morning with your choices. We had one evening dinner served course by course. We had this instead of our pre-booked speciality restaurant visit. So Densan reserved a "replacement" speciality dinner on another evening. We had two of my OH jackets pressed (for free). Just phone 02 and your Butler will appear like a Gene!!

The Dining table is quite small and might be a bit "friendly" for three, but I am sure with a little ingenuity you could make it work. You decide how your meal is delivered, and you do have to order everything from the same speciality menu you cannot mix and match. J

good thing we do not get a butler I would not want him entering without knocking :eek:

The times I have ordered room service they call & say they will be there in a few minute they do not bang on the door but knock quietly

We do not mind opening the door for them

I guess it is like having to sign for drinks it does not bother us :rolleyes:

YMMV

It may be a question of whether you are in a PH or higher. In a PH there is just one main room so as far as I recall our butler always knocked before entering. My husband was usually up already when he came in.

With an OC, VS and OS there is a separate bedroom and in those cases our experience was that our butler would knock on the door and then enter quietly to leave our breakfast.

Mura

It was only for the morning tea at 7.30am that Densan did not knock. Any other time of the day he did. (I did wonder if it wouldn't suit everyone, but it suited us as being woken by a knock on the door is not great and worse if you have to get out of bed to answer the door)

However, you only have to say, and the butler will do things the way that suits you best. J

Thanks for all the comments! We're all really excited about this, and pleased with our decision. I do feel a twinge of regret that we won't have the large balcony, but the pros far outweigh that one con, so I'll live with it. ;) I will see if we can get into Veranda to see what we escaped.

Appreciate all the feedback about how to best make use of our butler. Keep 'em coming! I would love to hear more stories about how you felt you got the best value out of this amazing perk.

The in-room breakfast is right up my alley. I do love a good breakfast, but prefer to eat it in my pjs! My roommates may want to go to the restaurant, but I will likely ask for my breakfast in the room every morning. I'm not fit for polite society until I've had my first cup of coffee. :p

The idea of in-room dining from a specialty restaurant is also intriguing! I know that getting reservations in the restaurants can be challenging...so if we discover we love one particular restaurant, and we can't get another reservation, we can just order from it for dining in our room, right?

In the midst of all this cruise planning and excitement, I'm dealing with a major annoyance - I have to have a second surgery on my shoulder tomorrow. Ugh! So I'm going to have to work hard at Physical Therapy to get my arm working right again so I can fully enjoy this cruise. Bad timing, I know, but...we never plan for these things, right? That's another reason why I decided to take the plunge and do the upgrade now, so I won't have to worry about it while I'm recovering.

the idea of in-room dining from a specialty restaurant is also intriguing! I know that getting reservations in the restaurants can be challenging...so if we discover we love one particular restaurant, and we can't get another reservation, we can just order from it for dining in our room, right?

right!!

Leeanne, DW and I feel that the ability to have breakfast delivered hot and on time at 7a is worth every penny of a butler cabin. We would never cruise any other way. Obviously butlers can do more, think arrange an Indian meal, snag extra specialty reservations; etc. Nothing matches the breakfast:D

Leeanne, DW and I feel that the ability to have breakfast delivered hot and on time at 7a is worth every penny of a butler cabin. We would never cruise any other way. Obviously butlers can do more, think arrange an Indian meal, snag extra specialty reservations; etc. Nothing matches the breakfast:D

We once had a land tour leaving 5 am. The butler was there at 4:15 delivering breakfast.. That sold us for future cruises.

I'm with ya on the breakfast! :)

WOOHOO! Just heard back from the TA - she got us 11003. Yeah...a leeeetle too close to the bow for my preference, but...we'll survive. :cool:

One of our party is also really excited about the free access to the Canyon Spa private terrace - can anyone share what that entails, and how to get the best value out of that perk? I expect I'll want to make use of the Thalassotherapy tub, given that I'll still be dealing with rehab for my shoulder.

First, it is lovely on the terrace. There are double cabanas and single cabanas. V comfortable. There are various drinks available on a trolley just outside the terrace and you serve yourself. (no alcohol) I was...slightly...disappointed that no other treats were available, like for instance on Princess' Posh terrace where you could have snack lunch and a glass of something, but that was a very small omission for me. The bubbly pool is very nice and quite large, you will like it.

Downside.... Sometimes the terrace is full up when you arrive there! You will have to test it out and see what is the best time to turn up. Obviously at the times when most guests are off the ship are best, but you can find this out by trial and error. We were able to make use of the delightful facility pretty often. I recommend this quiet retreat.

Once again... I am so pleased you have taken this upgrade!!!! J

Edited by Jay23

LeeAnne - I hope you provide us with a full report of your cruise (cabin/sleeping arrangements, food, your experience as a first time Oceania cruiser, etc.) -- whether it is live posts or a post-cruise report. In anticipation of my first Oceania cruise in June, I've enjoyed reading your posts, have learned lots from your questions and look forward to hearing how it all turns out. :)

LeeAnne - I hope you provide us with a full report of your cruise (cabin/sleeping arrangements, food, your experience as a first time Oceania cruiser, etc.) -- whether it is live posts or a post-cruise report. In anticipation of my first Oceania cruise in June, I've enjoyed reading your posts, have learned lots from your questions and look forward to hearing how it all turns out. :)

Ditto.

:) Oh don't worry, you will!

Some people in this forum probably remember me from the Crystal forum, where I made rather a splash by criticizing something Crystal Corporate did. :p I redeemed myself (mostly :o ) by posting a detailed chronicle of my Baltics cruise, with daily reports, port info and photos. I still get comments occasionally about that thread...and that was several years ago!

This cruise probably will not lend itself to so much port info, as these are pretty well-trampled islands that most people who've ever cruised have been to...but I happen to be an amateur underwater photographer, and I'll be diving at 5 of the 8 port stops. So you can be sure I'll post some of my better images in here after each dive. I will also be sure to chronicle my overall cruise experience and impressions of the ship.

Edited by Leejnd4

Also try the heated ceramic lounge chairs just before you enter/exit the spa Terrace (will be good for that shoulder ) ;)

i-R43tGvk-M.jpg

There is no shade up there to speak of

love the T-Pool nice & large

i-x6Njrhh-M.jpg

nice loungers

i-p6VsQ2m-M.jpg

Edited by LHT28