Splendor to China year round in 2018

jedi bobs

We've always wanted to do China but have hesitated due to DD's special gluten free needs. ?

I don't know what you mean by the 'special' part but a lot of chinese cusine is typically low in gluten when you omit noodles etc. Not only that but a wide vareity of street food/casual restuarants cook fresh in front of you so you can see whats going in. A friend of mine is a celiac and a veggie and she has just moved to Hong Kong...no problems and she cannot speak the lingo just yet.

Very good news that 2 ships I have had my eye on are heading Asia (my number 2 cruise desination at the moment). We almost booked the Sydney to Singapore Spirit cruise this August but very expensive flights knocked that on the head and we have been down about it ever since. This news cheers us up no end.

It was getting to the point where we were thinking Royal to do Asia but it seems that in the summer many ships get pulled from Asia.

I wonder if the Splendour will get 'Asiafied' instead of 'Ozziefied?'.

I don't know what you mean by the 'special' part but a lot of chinese cusine is typically low in gluten when you omit noodles etc. Not only that but a wide vareity of street food/casual restuarants cook fresh in front of you so you can see whats going in. A friend of mine is a celiac and a veggie and she has just moved to Hong Kong...no problems and she cannot speak the lingo just yet.

Very good news that 2 ships I have had my eye on are heading Asia (my number 2 cruise desination at the moment). We almost booked the Sydney to Singapore Spirit cruise this August but very expensive flights knocked that on the head and we have been down about it ever since. This news cheers us up no end.

It was getting to the point where we were thinking Royal to do Asia but it seems that in the summer many ships get pulled from Asia.

I wonder if the Splendour will get 'Asiafied' instead of 'Ozziefied?'.

DD is also autistic and diabetic. Traveling in other countries can be challenging at meal time. She is also very picky, ie no mixed veggies. And soy sauce has gluten. But she loves to travel and especially loves cruises. Cruises give me piece of mind at meal times regarding her.

DD is also autistic and diabetic. Traveling in other countries can be challenging at meal time. She is also very picky, ie no mixed veggies. And soy sauce has gluten. But she loves to travel and especially loves cruises. Cruises give me piece of mind at meal times regarding her.

Gotcha on the special part...that makes it trickier.

My friend asks for her meals seasoned with salt or shrimp paste instead of soy/oyster sauce and as shes really a pescatarian.

I think with four ships basically leaving the U.S. for Australia/China will force Carnival to keep all the Fantasy class ships around until 2020. We already have the Spirit year round in Australia & the Legend for 6 months. Now the Miracle in 2017 & Splendor in 2018 to China. I wonder if the Pride will do 7/6 months in Baltimore & 5/6 months in Tampa?? Carnival has 2 Vista-class ships being built, so I would imagine that order could double shortly so the Fantasy class ships can slowly start to be replaced by 2020.

Edited by toad455

I think with four ships basically leaving the U.S. for Australia/China will force Carnival to keep all the Fantasy class ships around until 2020. We already have the Spirit year round in Australia & the Legend for 6 months. Now the Miracle in 2017 & Splendor in 2018 to China. I wonder if the Pride will do 7/6 months in Baltimore & 5/6 months in Tampa?? Carnival has 2 Vista-class ships being built, so I would imagine that order could double shortly so the Fantasy class ships can slowly start to be replaced by 2020.

Interesting thoughts on the Pride splitting time between Tampa and Baltimore, makes sense. Not so sure on the logic to keep the fantasy class (although it may happen regardless). They are over saturated in the Caribbean market, so one could argue they could lose another two ships without much damage. Even though there is another Vista class ship in the works, it's a long way off and may not head to the Caribbean.......

Interesting thoughts on the Pride splitting time between Tampa and Baltimore, makes sense. Not so sure on the logic to keep the fantasy class (although it may happen regardless). They are over saturated in the Caribbean market, so one could argue they could lose another two ships without much damage. Even though there is another Vista class ship in the works, it's a long way off and may not head to the Caribbean.......

Just off the Pride this morning and the onboard PVP said that Pride is in Baltimore nearly-full time through 2018. It was the agreement they signed with the State and itineraries are already being put together, but not published.

I speculate that Splendor will head west to cover For Miracle in 2017, before heading to China as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if its one ship annually. Carnival might be just a little too "American-ized." A good test would be sending Valor over there, haha.

Just off the Pride this morning and the onboard PVP said that Pride is in Baltimore nearly-full time through 2018. It was the agreement they signed with the State and itineraries are already being put together, but not published.

Interesting, thanks. I assume nearly means except for the Carnival Journey cruises.

Interesting, thanks. I assume nearly means except for the Carnival Journey cruises.

I'm glad you can read between the lines :D. That's all she could tell me and that is also what I surmised. I also mentioned that stops in Key West from Baltimore might be nice since RCI does them, but she said it's not likely since it doesn't work in the CCL schedule.

I'm glad you can read between the lines :D. That's all she could tell me and that is also what I surmised. I also mentioned that stops in Key West from Baltimore might be nice since RCI does them, but she said it's not likely since it doesn't work in the CCL schedule.

There is a very limited slots for Key West and I am sure that Galveston and New Orleans use all of Carnival but I cannot argue with wanting it from Baltimore. I don't doubt what you heard and I am sure it hast to do with the fact they had to have a full year contract at Baltimore, but I doubt we would ever sail from there in the winter. Just to cool for at lest a day at the beginning and end of the cruise. That being said, we enjoyed sailing out of there on the Pride.

The Pride is going to be in Tampa in 2017 for a few months so I think that's what was meant by "nearly"

Edited by theriac

I speculate that Splendor will head west to cover For Miracle in 2017, before heading to China as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if its one ship annually. Carnival might be just a little too "American-ized." A good test would be sending Valor over there, haha.

The Splendor's Hotel Director at the diamond/plat party on the recent Norfolk-Bermuda cruise indicated that Splendor is being modified for the Asia/China market on its scheduled March 2016 (?) drydock - and that is why she is not getting the typical 2.0 makeover.

Japan,China et al are quite big on Americana in recent times so it would probably go down well...and shes a good size. :)

Glad to see I was correct about the Splendour's refit being tailored to its destination. Let the speculation begin on that.

A Guy's burgers would go down pretty well I think. A Bonsai sushi would not as Sushi in those parts is king.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh this is such exciting news. All we need now are the dates and routes. Please Carnival let there be some dates available in August and do not charter out your ships just to the Chinese, like some other lines do.

I think with 2 ships they will do what the Sunshine does in PC of 5-8 day sailing Roundtrip from Shanghai and then a 14 day one way from Singapore to either Shanghai or Tianjin. That's my guess how it will work out. Probably the splendor doing the 5-8 night and Miracle doing the longer sailing.

Eventually I feel it would be wiser to move a ship like the Victory or Triumph and bring the Miracle back to the US since we need Panamax ships here in certain ports.