Mid June Cruise

gottagoacruzn

Hi guys, have always cruised Alaska in Sept, and know what the weather is usually like and what to pack for in the ports and at sea, or the inside passage. Just came back from Alaska last month, on the Jewel Ots. This cruise that I'm going on, is mid June, from the 18th to the 25th. Here is the itinerary,

June 18th, cruise on the Amsterdam, roundtrip from Vancouver, leaving 5 p.m.

June 19th, cruise the inside passage.

June 20th, cruise Tracy Arm, 10 a.m. 10:30 a.m, at least that's what the brochure is sayin.

June 20th, Juneau, 1 p.m. 10 p.m.

June 21st, Skagway 7 a.m. 9 p.m.

June 22nd, Glacier Bay 7a.m. 4 p.m.

June 23rd, Ketchikan 10 a.m. 6 p.m.

June 24th, cruise inside passage.

June 25th, arrive Vancouver

Those of you might know the questions, I'm about to ask.:) Would there be any need for jacket, gloves, cap, sweatshirts, during the month of June, when cruising Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm? Might bring suntan lotion along, in case of sunburn. Since this cruise is during the longest day of the year, would one be able to see Campbell River, after leaving Vancouver, would there be a naturalist on board, and would the salmon be running, also bald eagles in abundance in the ports. Just thought of what time does it usually get dark up thar?

This cruise is goin to be a group cruise, and they really had to twist my arm to go,:eek: now if you can believe that...:rolleyes: The deposit has already been put down.

Edited by gottagoacruzn

June in coastal Alaska tends to be the driest month of the year but it still tends to be cool and can be wet so I would bring along all of my wet/cool weather gear. Yes, you will see Campbell River if only the lights of it and you will likely have daylight going thru Seymour Narrows either northbound or southbound. I don't believe there will be a naturalist aboard for that part of your cruise.....the real good news is that I will wave to you northbound about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge, I will be on the starboard side.:)

June in coastal Alaska tends to be the driest month of the year but it still tends to be cool and can be wet so I would bring along all of my wet/cool weather gear. Yes, you will see Campbell River if only the lights of it and you will likely have daylight going thru Seymour Narrows either northbound or southbound. I don't believe there will be a naturalist aboard for that part of your cruise.....the real good news is that I will wave to you northbound about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge, I will be on the starboard side.:)

Yes, when the Jewel Ots came into Vancouver on Sept 18th, I waved to you, but I guess you didn't see, oh well.

Hi guys, have always cruised Alaska in Sept, and know what the weather is usually like and what to pack for in the ports and at sea, or the inside passage. Just came back from Alaska last month, on the Jewel Ots. This cruise that I'm going on, is mid June, from the 18th to the 25th. Here is the itinerary,

June 20th, cruise Tracy Arm, 10 a.m. 10:30 a.m, at least that's what the brochure is sayin.

Those of you might know the questions, I'm about to ask.:) Would there be any need for jacket, gloves, cap, sweatshirts, during the month of June, when cruising Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm? Might bring suntan lotion along, in case of sunburn. Since this cruise is during the longest day of the year, would one be able to see Campbell River, after leaving Vancouver, would there be a naturalist on board, and would the salmon be running, also bald eagles in abundance in the ports. Just thought of what time does it usually get dark up thar?

This cruise is goin to be a group cruise, and they really had to twist my arm to go,:eek: now if you can believe that...:rolleyes: The deposit has already been put down.

Never been to Tracy Arm, but like Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay will create it's own weather because of all the ice and snow. I've had temps in the 80's in both Juneau and Skagway (not that far from Glacier Bay) and the temps were in the 40's and 50's in Glacier Bay. As Putterdude mentioned June has a tendency to be drier but you can have a wide variety of temps.

How much of Tracy do you want to see? Some may choose to get one of those mid-ship transfers to see more of the Arm and then rejoin the mothership in Juneau...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935

Yes bring all the clothes you mentioned.

You never know what the weather will be like and often just cruising Glacier Bay will require all the items you mentioned.

But, it's Alaska so what the weather will be like is anyone's guess.

Keith

I sailed this itinerary this year- again. :)

YES, you need that wide range of attire- all times during the cruise ship season- unless- you are ok with temps in the 60's and you will NOT be going outside, at all on the ship.

You will NOT be seeing any salmon running in Inside passage ports, you are too early. YES, HAL has a ship naturalist on board the entire sailing, also, Park Rangers and Alaska Geographic naturalists will be on board in Glacier Bay.

You will NOT get into Tracy Arm- unless you purchase the add on ship tour. So with a group- you probably should inform them of this- since it may impact budgets.

If you want to have Campbell River pointed out to you, I would strongly suggest, you have some type of GPS available. You very likely would be able to spot it, heading north. Stay out for Seymour Narrows as well. It may mean- giving this a priority over meals, and "shows". The HAL ships I have been on- it was pretty easy to find the ship naturalist the first day- (yep- I go looking for who, I'm sailing with) most often, in that front viewing upper lounge, but also perhaps outside- again, forward viewing the most likely. They WILL have some type of binoculars with them (as will any hard core passenger, like myself :) :) )

Take the same clothing that you would for any sailing. Even though you will be cruising during the longest days of the year it can still be very damp and cold along the coast. Coldest I have ever been was on the small boat at Tracey Arm that time of year. You need screen but not because of warmth, because of the amount of sun.

That time of year it will get dark around 2:00 a.m. and light around 4:00 a.m. and it never will get really dark.

I wonder how many ships leave on the same day. We will leaving the same day from Vancouver on the Star Princess.

The draft sked for the port of Vancouver shows the Amsterdam and the Star in port that day as well as the pocket cruiser, La Soleal which only holds about 265 pax.