New to Princess

kyrisong1

Hello all!

I am a seasoned cruiser who goes twice a year, mostly with Carnival. I am excited to be trying a beautiful Princess ship and have so many questions!

Hoping that some of you frequent Princess people could answer a few for me.

I will taking my sister on a 7 day on the Crown in February. I am reading all about the specialty restaraunts and the Chefs Table.

On Carnival I am able to sign up for all of these ahead of the cruise time, is there a way to do with with Princess or do we need to wait until we board? Also I'm reading about the Sanctuary, is it worth the extra money? And again is there a way to sign up for it ahead or do you do it once onboard?

Thanks so much for any help !

Carole

All that you are asking about are first come first served and so have to be done on board.

There are many threads re the Sanctuary. I love it in good weather and book for the week but the Itinerary is the key. If you are off the ship all day as I was last month on the Emerald it's not practical.

If it gets rained out you get a refund for that day or half day, depending on what you booked. You have to go to the Sanctuary as soon as you board to be sure of a place.

Hope this helps!

Norris

Hello all!

I am a seasoned cruiser who goes twice a year, mostly with Carnival. I am excited to be trying a beautiful Princess ship and have so many questions!

I will taking my sister on a 7 day on the Crown in February. I am reading all about the specialty restaraunts and the Chefs Table.

On Carnival I am able to sign up for all of these ahead of the cruise time, is there a way to do with with Princess or do we need to wait until we board? Also I'm reading about the Sanctuary, is it worth the extra money? And again is there a way to sign up for it ahead or do you do it once onboard?

Carole

Just off the Crown last month and it is a beautiful ship. We have sailed Carnival but now Princess is our line of choice. Hope you will like it too.

Restaurant reservations can be made once onboard by calling the dine line. We never use the sanctuary, but I understand it is popular and again can only be done once onboard. So if you decide to do that, just head there right away. "Worth it" is a matter of opinion and there are plenty of those to be had on these boards.

Edited by Musky Ike

Hello all!

Carole

We are going on the Crown for 14 days in January . Beautiful ship and well laid out . Get a balcony if can afford one . The fresh sea air can't be beat first thing in the morning or just before bed at night.

I should add that the odds of your getting the Sanctuary aren't really good. You should go as soon as you board the ship. Many people will have boarded before you and it could well be sold out by the time you get there.

As for the Chef's table, you should call the dine line as soon as you board. It's a lottery... You may make it, or not...

Good luck and have a fabulous cruise! The Crown is wonderful!

Food is free at the International Cafe. It's wonderful for a snack!

About the Chef's table, like previously mentioned it's a lottery and usually very popular. I applied on the dine line as soon as I got onboard and I got it (twice). Please know that if you get it, they will tell you that you must have closed toed shoes to participate since part of it is in the galley. I mention this because I went on the cruise without such shoes and when we got accepted for the Chef's Table and informed of this I didn't know what I was gonna do! So I wish I had known in advance. (At the end of the day, it was cancelled due to Noro outbreak). The other venues you should have no problem getting reservations if you call on day 1. Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome to Princess!

As the Chefs Table only seats a max of 12 people, to my understanding anyway, the earlier you can board your chances improve. They will take the first 12 folks that puts their name(s) in the pot. The only time I got in, I was in my cabin and on the DINE line by noon.

Once on the ship, call DINE Line for your specialty restaurants reservations.

Hope you'll like Crown Princess as much as we always have.

Yes, we've cruised on Carnival from time to time (Charleston is convenient for us) ... but WAY like Princess better.

LuLu

Hello all!

I will taking my sister on a 7 day on the Crown in February. I am reading all about the specialty restaurants and the Chefs Table.

Carole

Just to provide you with a little more info than you asked for:

Free Dining:

MDR's, Open each day for breakfast and dinner and lunch on boarding day and sea days; Room Service, 24/7 except there is a $3 charge for a room delivered pizza; International Cafe, 24/7; Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse on sea days; Cafe Caribe/Horizon Ct. Buffet, one section or another open 5am to midnight; Trident Grill, open 11am to 11pm; Pizza and soft ice cream, open 11am to 11pm.

Surcharge Dining:

Sabatini's & Crown Grill $25pp; Crab Shack, held some evenings in a closed off section of Cafe Caribe, $20/pp, Salty Dog Gastropub, evenings in the Wheelhouse bar, this is new, $19pp

Make all reservations on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant.

Chef's Table, Call the dine line right after boarding.

There is also the Ultimate balcony breakfast or dinner.

If you want to book The sanctuary go there right after boarding. You can book half days for $20, full days for $40 and if you book the entire 7 days it is $30/day.

One other thing I would like to mention, when you board you can go directly to your cabin, it will be ready. No first to the fun on Princess.

Just to provide you with a little more info than you asked for:

Free Dining:

MDR's, Open each day for breakfast and dinner and lunch on boarding day and sea days; Room Service, 24/7 except there is a $3 charge for a room delivered pizza; International Cafe, 24/7; Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse on sea days; Cafe Caribe/Horizon Ct. Buffet, one section or another open 5am to midnight; Trident Grill, open 11am to 11pm; Pizza and soft ice cream, open 11am to 11pm.

Surcharge Dining:

Sabatini's & Crown Grill $25pp; Crab Shack, held some evenings in a closed off section of Cafe Caribe, $20/pp, Salty Dog Gastropub, evenings in the Wheelhouse bar, this is new, $19pp

Make all reservations on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant.

Chef's Table, Call the dine line right after boarding.

There is also the Ultimate balcony breakfast or dinner.

If you want to book The sanctuary go there right after boarding. You can book half days for $20, full days for $40 and if you book the entire 7 days it is $30/day.

One other thing I would like to mention, when you board you can go directly to your cabin, it will be ready. No first to the fun on Princess.

Thanks so much, this is all so helpful!

More information you didn't ask for...

If anyone in your party is a veteran, send a copy of the DD214 to Princess and get $50-$250 OBC depending on length of cruise

Carnival Corp stock gets you the same

If you like Princess and plan to go again - buy a Future Cruise Deposit. A $100 future deposit will get you $15-$150 OBC depending on cabin type and length of cruise

All OBC is stackable, no restrictions (unless you are getting a special fare - which few do) and the veterans is refundable.

More information you didn't ask for...

If anyone in your party is a veteran, send a copy of the DD214 to Princess and get $50-$250 OBC depending on length of cruise

Carnival Corp stock gets you the same

If you like Princess and plan to go again - buy a Future Cruise Deposit. A $100 future deposit will get you $15-$150 OBC depending on cabin type and length of cruise

All OBC is stackable, no restrictions (unless you are getting a special fare - which few do) and the veterans is refundable.

If I buy a FCC and decide I don't want to use it, is it transferable?

Depending on the length of the cruise and the number of sea days, and the level of interest, there is a possibility of the Chef's Table being offered more than once.

If you like fish & chips, the Pub Lunch is a really good option on a sea day and is usually quite popular. There's no extra charge for this meal, only for beer or other alcoholic beverage or soft drink if you choose to order one.

re: Future Cruise Credits .... each one costs $100 and is good for 2 years. If not used for a booking within that time, it's not a 'use it or lose it' situation, as the $100 per FCC is credited back to your credit card. You can see that it's really a win-win proposition.

Edited by flamomo

Thanks-- can you just confirm something that I'm reading on the FCC form: if you do not book a specific cruise, the OBC would be for the FUTURE cruise, correct?

Even if you do book a specific cruise, the OBC will be for that cruise, not the one you are on.

As stated above, the OBC from the FCC is on the future cruise. The amount will depend on the length of that cruise:

OBC From FCC

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

If you like to read I find the deck above the covered pool on Star to be an excellent place to snag a lounger and read. I've even been known to "read with my eyes closed" on a lounger there a time or two. ;)