Celebrity cancels stops in Istanbul

With political instability, recent terrorism incidents and trouble at its borders, Istanbul has been cancelled as a port for Celebrity this year. What do Cruise Critic members speculate as to the possibility of returning to Istanbul in summer 2016? My cruise on Reflection is supposed to stop there overnight.

In my opinion -- and I realize offers will differ -- Celebrity is being overcautious in cancelling Istanbul. Many other lines continue to make calls there.

As to predicting the future, it's not possible. If there are continuing "events" (almost all of which do not target tourists and mostly in areas tourists can easily avoid), then I suppose Celebrity will continue to avoid Istanbul.

If Istanbul is important to you, why not consider one of the other lines that stop there?

With political instability, recent terrorism incidents and trouble at its borders, Istanbul has been cancelled as a port for Celebrity this year. What do Cruise Critic members speculate as to the possibility of returning to Istanbul in summer 2016? My cruise on Reflection is supposed to stop there overnight.

Celebrity is very cautious. We were on a Celebrity ship four years ago when Egypt was cancelled. We met people in other ports who docked there with Princess. They said they were never in any danger. The cancellation did not ruin our trip. Other interesting ports were added.

Istanbul is one of my favorite places. I hope the situation improves. Our next cruise stops at Izmir, the gate to Ephesus. Many people booked the cruise just to visit Ephesus. Many of the Syrian refugees are traveling to Izmir and boarding boats to other parts of Europe. I don't know if Kusadsi could be substituted or if they are experiencing some of the same difficulties.

It is true that other cruise ships are still visiting Istanbul, although Costa, as I understand it, has also canceled overnights there.

Much remains in flux. With Erdogan winning a majority it will be certainly interesting to see if the secular opposition, the Kurds or even ISIS will step up their opposition to him.

We were in Istanbul 2 weeks ago, but I think it is difficult to predict how events will play out.

In my opinion -- and I realize offers will differ -- Celebrity is being overcautious in cancelling Istanbul. Many other lines continue to make calls there.

As to predicting the future, it's not possible. If there are continuing "events" (almost all of which do not target tourists and mostly in areas tourists can easily avoid), then I suppose Celebrity will continue to avoid Istanbul.

If Istanbul is important to you, why not consider one of the other lines that stop there?

Over-reaction IMHO. I suspect they'll only change their policy when they realise that people are switching cruise lines to go where Celebrity won't take them. Homicide rates in New York remain far higher than Istanbul, yet X still sail out of Bayonne!

Stuart

In my opinion -- and I realize offers will differ -- Celebrity is being overcautious in cancelling Istanbul. Many other lines continue to make calls there. As to predicting the future, it's not possible. If there are continuing "events" (almost all of which do not target tourists and mostly in areas tourists can easily avoid), then I suppose Celebrity will continue to avoid Istanbul. If Istanbul is important to you, why not consider one of the other lines that stop there?

Sad to hear that Celebrity is now skipping Istanbul. Agree with the super-smart cruisemom42 that Celebrity is being very, very cautious. Maybe too much??!! It is hard to predict the future. For us, our Athens, Greek Isles and Turkish Coast first cruise finished in Istanbul and we had two full days there. It was super wonderful!! Below is one of my favorite visuals for this historic and charming city.

Clearly after the Russian airline incident over Egypt, things are getting more questionable in this area of the world. Let's hope for the best!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,278 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here was our first view of Istanbul in June 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you could really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest! Istanbul has such a wide variety of history, culture, architecture, people, food, charm, etc. It’s the total experience here that is so amazing.:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

In time we will find out whether Celebrity was being overly cautious. We were on the NCL Sprit just 10 days ago with stops in Istanbul, Kusadasi, and Athens with no problems. I will say we are glad we are home now after hearing about the Russian airliner incident over Egypt. This is a tumultuous time in Europe and especially in that region, so only time will tell. We had a marvelous time in Istanbul, Kusadasi, Ephesus, and Athens as well as everywhere else...this was 2nd time there for me, 3rd for my husband, and 1st for our adult daughter. We felt safe and welcome everywhere and I hope it stays that way.

If Istanbul is important to you, I'd start looking at other lines or perhaps visit it pre or post cruise. Our October Reflection cruise had Istanbul cancelled. We found out after final payment so there wasn't much anyone could do about it.

Other lines were still visiting Istanbul so it was frustrating; however, we enjoyed the ports that replaced Istanbul so not all was lost.

If Istanbul is important to you, I'd start looking at other lines or perhaps visit it pre or post cruise. Our October Reflection cruise had Istanbul cancelled. We found out after final payment so there wasn't much anyone could do about it.

Other lines were still visiting Istanbul so it was frustrating; however, we enjoyed the ports that replaced Istanbul so not all was lost.

What ports did Celebrity stop at to replace Istanbul?

In time we will find out whether Celebrity was being overly cautious. We were on the NCL Sprit just 10 days ago with stops in Istanbul, Kusadasi, and Athens with no problems. I will say we are glad we are home now after hearing about the Russian airliner incident over Egypt. This is a tumultuous time in Europe and especially in that region, so only time will tell. We had a marvelous time in Istanbul, Kusadasi, Ephesus, and Athens as well as everywhere else...this was 2nd time there for me, 3rd for my husband, and 1st for our adult daughter. We felt safe and welcome everywhere and I hope it stays that way.

Actually Egypt is not in Europe and nor is the main tourist area of Istanbul (Sultanahmet). I still think the most dangerous place in the world is possibly the US. A six year old boy being killed by the police would cause a major backlash in other countries, but appears to have passed as any other news incident. Imagine if that had happened in Turkey! There is danger the world over.

Edited by tring

Interesting comments here re: Turkey and relative dangers.

This is a column by Roger Cohen in the NYT. Whether or not you agree with his analysis, I do think that conditions are changing in Turkey.

Also, the investigation of the plane crash in Egypt, if it establishes a link to ISIS, in my view will be relevant.

Thus concern by Celebrity is not irrational.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/opinion/sunday/turkeys-troubling-isis-game.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=opinion-c-col-right-region&region=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

Clearly for those wishing to visit Istanbul there remain options.

Actually Egypt is not in Europe and nor is the main tourist area of Istanbul (Sultanahmet). I still think the most dangerous place in the world is possibly the US. A six year old boy being killed by the police would cause a major backlash in other countries, but appears to have passed as any other news incident. Imagine if that had happened in Turkey! There is danger the world over.

For accuracy, Sultanahmet is part of the European side of Istanbul. :o

I'm not sure I'd agree US is the "most" dangerous place, but I do find the obsessive concerns amongst US travelers about the very, very small chance of meeting up with danger abroad to be beyond all understanding....

Just back from Istanbul. IMHO Celebrity is overly cautious about canceling this port currently, especially since the election is over. On the other hand, if there are more terriost incidents there, then canceling makes sense.

For accuracy, Sultanahmet is part of the European side of Istanbul. :o

I'm not sure I'd agree US is the "most" dangerous place, but I do find the obsessive concerns amongst US travelers about the very, very small chance of meeting up with danger abroad to be beyond all understanding....

Yes, I realised my mistake just after my very hasty post, but did not have time to return at that stage. However, Egypt is definately not in Europe. I would not like to see Europe being looked upon as problematic, (as was implied in the post I quoted in #11), as many parts of Europe are extremely safe on a worldwide basis. It seems strange to me that Cruise Critic put many non European ports under 'Europe' yet do have different sections for other parts of Asia and Africa - perhaps that causes confusion for some people.

My badly worded post really meant to comment on the way the media treats news differently, depending on where it happened.

Sadly I do understand some people having concerns and I also feel very sorry for people who rely on the tourist sector for their livings in countries like Egypt and Tunisia. I suspect any country taking official action against terrorist factions will be likely targets for terrorist action for some time to come. I just do not understand the world as it is becoming.

Edited by tring

I just do not understand the world as it is becoming.

Sorry to be so "blunt", but it is not a question for what is the world "becoming". Much of "it" has been very historic and constant!! These issues have been going on and on and on for many, many centuries. Religious and "power" battles have happened in many parts of Europe, northern Africa, the Middle East, Asian-India sub-continent, etc. Remember the Crusades? Remember how big and vast was the Turkish Empire at one time?

Agree that Istanbul is so very special and spectacular because of these many variations and permutations on history, power/religious battles, etc. That is part of the charm and interest in traveling, learning more on these elements of history, religion, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,791 views for this posting.

Religious and "power" battles have happened in many parts of Europe, northern Africa, the Middle East, Asian-India sub-continent, etc.

You missed out America, Terry.

My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather sailed from New York to Yorktown and found the locals there to be rather ill-mannered and somewhat rebellious.

;)

JB :)

They added Rhodes and Crete. The Athens stop was turned into an overnight visit.

Rhodes was eh so-so……but we LOVE Crete. Been twice. Would love to go for a land trip someday. Overnight in Athens would be nice too……. but Istanbul is our second favorite city after Rome ….. but we have been 3 times for overnights so I am glad we went when we did.

I would concur with Cruisemom that Celebrity is being overcautious. Istanbul is not a risky stop. However, Egypt is too dangerous for now. I lived in the Middle East for five years and have been to Egypt twice. I would love to take DW there, but the risk is too great.

As far as the USA being the most dangerous country in the world, that an absurd statement. I have lived to Europe, the Middle East and of course the USA and traveled to 71 foreign countries. I could list all the countries with a high risk for travelers that would not include the USA, but just naming a few like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Lebanon, Somalia, most of sub-Saharan Africa is enough to refute your comment.

I find that the USA is generally as safe as the UK and northern Europe, as long as you avoid certain inner city areas of our large cities. Americans know where these areas are and avoid them, just as I am sure British people avoid some sections of London. The risky areas of the USA are not likely to attract foreign tourists and only in error would they enter.

As for the rare instance that our police shoot a child, this is extremely rare and doesn't merit your comment, which defames the police in our country.

Further, interjecting a semi-political comment is out of line.

This entire topic makes me fume! If one reads the newspapers or watches TV they could quickly believe that Turkey is a lawless place with violence everywhere, is anti-American/West, dangerous, etc. This could not be further from the truth. Most Turks are warm and friendly to Americans/Canadians, are terrific entreprenaurs, welcome visitors, etc. And as long as you avoid public demonstrations (which are actually infrequent) it is a relatively safe country.

But what gets me really annoyed is the reaction of the cruise lines...which sounds more politically driven then based on facts. Compare the action of cancelling cruises to Istanbul to how the cruise lines reacted to a 14 year old cruiser being shot and killed at Coki Beach (St Thomas, USVI). When violence occurs in places like St Thomas, St Croix, San Juan, etc. the cruise lines either do nothing or perhaps cancel a few tours (not cruises). But have an incident in certain countries (like Turkey) and they stop entire cruises! Why?

And for those who are doubting what I say we refer you to this CC story:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4151

As to St Thomas, this island has a real crime problem which has been ignored by the cruise lines for years. Here is the link to a Fodor's Forum discussion on the topic:

http://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/st-thomas-is-dangerous.cfm

Do DW and moi visit St Thomas? Absolutely, because we use common sense on the island and feel quite safe. Would we visit Istanbul? Absolutely (and have many times) and would happily be there tomorrow if it were possible.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We came and left on the Constellation in October. We felt completely safe. Fear-mongers whispered we should not stay in Taksim Square- we can recommend the Point Hotel there which is in an area of nice dining, taxi-cabs, and the 13TL airport bus. The Military Museum was epic and the A-Plus was lovely for dinner. The only hazard you will find are the taxis who can spot Americans and will attempt to brazenly over charge you and even ask for Euros. The key in Istanbul is to negotiate - smile, agree before getting in on a reasonable fare and pay it + tip. The advice to bring your hotel address in Turkish is sound- there are a lot of hotels and it is confusing. This has been a tourist area for thousands of years and there is respect for the law and hospitality you won't find anywhere else. For those keeping track- we did see exactly one apparent refugee in five days in Turkey- a guy holding a sign. In my large USA city, there are always homeless people begging with cardboard signs at major road intersections - I saw two yesterday.

There are few here on CC who have been more vocal then moi in support of visiting Turkey. We have often spoke of how much we enjoy the country, its people, and its virtually unlimited attractions for tourists. So it was with a very heavy heart, and complete shock, that we saw the outrageous conduct of the Turks at the Turkey-Greece Football (Soccer) match. Even President Erdogan (who was in attendance) seemed to have a shocked look on his face as thousands or Turkish fans booed during a moment of silence for the horrible events in France.

So, now I must admit to some confusion as to my own feelings about Turkey. We are not sure if this was an isolated incident of a bunch of Football hooligans, or if it reflects the underlying feelings of a majority of Turks. It it is the latter, then I think the Western world needs to reexamine our entire relationship with this country. When an active member of NATO starts to give vocal support to acts of ISIS terrorism against another NATO Ally (or anyone) perhaps we need to reassess whether Istanbul and Kusadasi should continue to attract cruise ships.

Although we want to believe that the events in that Football Arena were a single isolated reaction, the silence from the Turkish government has been deafening.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just received notification from Celebrity that our October cruise and all from April through October will be skipping Istanbul. the changes are as follows:

Overnight in Athens and stopping in Bodrum Turkey. They added Crete, Greece and took away a sea day. So we gained a port. I have never been to Istanbul and the reason was " this change made by brand leadership"

I hope everyone in my group understands and stays with the cruise.