Departure flight FLL--is this a reasonable schedule?

scrabble6

Hello! We're on the Silhouette in February 2016. Departing FLL on a Sunday morning. For those of you who are familiar with that port, etc: Is a 10:45 AM Delta flight too close for comfort?

Any disembarkation stories--good or bad--and advice would be appreciated as I make a decision. The 10:45 time is more affordable and gets us home hours earlier--a big bonus since we both have to be at work the next morning. But it wouldn't be worth it if we end our relaxing cruise stressed out and agitated. :)

THANKS for your comments!

If u are able to do self disembarkation u will be fine.

If not, you will probably be ok, but u might feel stressed.

Search for other threads with same question (there are MANY) and you will find all the helpful hints for FLL

Have a great cruise!

The port is very close to the airport, only about a 15 minute ride, but a 10:45 AM flight leaves little room for any hiccups. Last time we flew out after a cruise the security situation was a disaster at FLL, with very long lines. If you carry off your things and everything goes smoothly, you'll make it with time to spare. Another consideration is the port load for the day, which will probably be pretty heavy.

We made a 10:35 last Nov. Make sure you are in the first group to leave, carry your own luggage if possible, we didn't and it was fine.

There will be no time to linger over that one last breakfast in the MDR or stroll thru the buffet tho!:D

Oh, one thing to look into, we just went thru the TSA pre check and got our known traveler numbers.

No long lines at the airport! It is $85 for 5 years.

Edited by wallie5446

How much time do you need to be at the airport prior to departure? If two hours, then 9:45 could be tricky unless you can get off the ship early (i.e. take your own luggage off?)

If you are among a large crowd disembarking, then getting luggage, getting through customs and then getting a taxi could be time consuming, even though the airport is not far.

And all this depends on the ship being cleared at normal times. We have never had a delay in this regard, but I have read of it happening on these boards. e.g.I think that one ship was delayed for a couple of hours due to a power failure at the time of departure.

Personally, I would find the 10:45 time stressful, and would not do it.

Bill

For my last 3 cruises, flying home out of FLL, we've had departure times of 10:50, 11:00, and 11:05...all went fine. As others have mentioned, you will be best to do self embarkation, and in doing so, get in line on the ship for that EARLY! i.e. if your self embarkation assembly time is 7:45, arrive to your designated area to queue for walk off at least 30 min ahead of then. Good Luck!

Edited by llamasocks

I have done it in that amount of time, but the clog can be the Taxi Line, so be prepared for that. In my case, we were on Connie and were in port with Oasis, and both ships ran to the same single taxi line. It was 45 minutes wait to get a taxi. This was Jan 2014.

I ended up leaving the line and getting a shared van that was out looking for riders.

I would book it. Consider self carry if you can manage. Be off the ship by 8 at the latest. That gives you enough time for delays for cab or tsa line.

We never experienced two ships sharing one cab line in Port E. And we have cruised many times out of there.

Just be very careful that if you decide to join a shared shuttle that you are the LAST seats to fill. There are a couple services who don't prebook and you could sit a LONG time while the driver tries to recruit enough riders to fill all the seats.

Edited by eandj

We've made 10:10 flights many times out of FLL. We just self-disembark.

Whatever time they tell you to line up, get there nearly an hour ahead and line up your suitcases to hold your place in line. Take turns getting a muffin and coffee somewhere (Cafe al Bacio is open) and then walk off. If you're not on the deck that you need to be for disembarkation, catching an elevator might be difficult and crowded. Unless you're standing right next to it, just take your own stuff down or up the stairs. We do that in tandem.

If you do all that and there is no customs problem, you'll walk off, grab a taxi and be off.

Best not to arrange a shuttle or you'll have to wait for everyone to load on and off. An individual taxi is your best and fastest bet. You'll probably be at the airport before 8:30.

Usually works fine. However, on one cruise our disembarkation day in Fort Lauderdale was rainy and windy with thunderstorms. The dock workers wouldn't unload baggage until the weather cleared. We were told the thunderstorms were the reason for the delay. We had planned to be one of the first to disembark, walking off the ship with our luggage. It was 11 am when the first passengers were allowed off the ship. I know this is the exception, but weather is not foreseeable when planning flight times.

Another thing - if you travel enough, get the TSA pre-screen. It's about $85 for 5 years (I believe that's correct) and what a time and hassle saver!!!!!!

If your travels include international flights, you're better off spending the $100 for Global Entry, which includes PreCheck privileges as well.

How much time do you need to be at the airport prior to departure? If two hours, then 9:45 could be tricky unless you can get off the ship early (i.e. take your own luggage off?)

Two hours prior is for International flights, most domestics ask for 60 minutes. Some, like Jet Blue now promote 90 minutes.

We fly to BTV (Vermont) and I'd have no worries at all about a flight that early.

Print boarding pass on ship (or port the day before if possible)

Carry your own luggage

Make sure your on board account has been zeroed out the night before

Line up at least 30 minutes before first walk off should begin.

Make sure you know where the taxi line is

And, most important, no being pushy or rude to others because you have an early flight. :)

We are just off the Infinity on Nov. 5. We had a 10AM flight. We walked off at 7:15, the customs line was not very long, got in a taxi and was at the airport and was through security before 8AM. I heard that there was a long wait for taxis. Not true. There were at least 100 in line. We have done this several times and I wouldn't hesitate to take an early flight again,

Like everyone else has said, carry your own luggage off and you will have lots of time to get to your flight. We had the same time line as you back in April and we were at the airport about 9:15. Have a great cruise!

I would add a word of caution. No one can say you will make it for sure. Very likely? Yes. 100% guarantee--NO!. We had one cruise out of FLL where no one was allowed to even start disembarkation until after 9:30 due to a Customs issue. You can only imagine the tempers and pushing and shoving etc.. very doubtful you would have caught your flight that day. Stuff can and does happen. It happened to us so this is fact not theory. Rare but possible.

If you don't stress go with that flight. You should be OK but should is the key word. No one can guarantee that the ship won't arrive late or that there will not be any issues with immigration or that you won't be pulled over by customs.

For me I don't care for stress so I will book something closer to Noon because I just don't want to rush off the ship or worry.

But as I said plenty of people take a flight at that hour.

Keith

I'd risk it, (and I don't think its THAT much risk!), because there's NOTHING worse than sitting around, waiting......
Not sure if it applies to this poster, but.....

I find it so interesting how people that can spend days on a cruise sitting around a pool/beach/bar now find it terrible to sit in an airport.

Pick up a copy of "War and Peace" and make it your "airport waiting" book. Depending on how fast you read, it should take you through several cruise "waits".

And as for "nothing worse"....how does "trying to find alternate seats when you miss your flight, then waiting for THAT flight" compare? Just askin'.

I'd risk it, (and I don't think its THAT much risk!), because there's NOTHING worse than sitting around, waiting......

Nothing worse? What about missing your connection, and then sitting around for hours on a standby list, with no idea if you get on the next flight or the one after that or........ Meanwhile you have to keep moving to the next flight's boarding gate area, then the next one, to find out if you get cleared. At least when you KNOW you have a seat, albeit a few hours later, you can wait in one place and you can choose where that place is (ex. airline lounge, restaurant, an empty gate with lots of open seating, walking the concourse for exercise) instead of being held captive at a particular gate waiting to hear if your name is called.