January weather for Nassau and Freeport

trishnmike

We are taking a cruise to those locations at the end of January. Does anyone know about what the temperature should be? I'm wondering if I should schedule a beach excursion. Or is the water going to be too cold to go in?

The water will be chilly, the Bahamas are not far enough south but, the air temps should be in the 80's.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Winter weather in the Bahamas is similar to southern Florida so it varies from warm (low 80s) to chilly. As to the sea temps it is normally in the low to mid 70s that time of year which is fine for many folks.

Hank

Thanks Keith and Hlitner .... Well the husband will be glad since he hates sand in his toes. I'm going to have too find other things to do. Thinking about the rum tour in Florida.

Not so fast. I have been snorkeling in the Bahamas in Jan-Feb and it was near perfect. So you will just have to wait and see the weather trends right before your trip. Sand between the toes is still possible :).

Hank:confused:;)

Unfortunately you can't be certain.

It could be 70's/80's but once in awhile it gets very cold and that might be 50's. I've been there when it happened.

Best to check weather a few days before the cruise.

Keith

That happened to us one time. It was cold. But had a great time in Atlantis. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks Hank. I could live on the beach and one of the things I love about cruising. I'm going to wait like y'all said. And bring my snorkel gear just in case. You never know I may not mind a little cool water.

For those used to swimming off Cape Cod or Maine....low 70s is heaven :).

Hank

• 4 weeks later...