Will RCCL be next...

davekathy

It'll actually be a shame when they remove 'formal' nights. It's more of a shame that adults don't feel the need to dress 'properly' for an evening meal in a restaurant. We've seen people turn up for MDR late sitting in the very same clothes they went to the beach in that day! Probably not even bothering to wash let alone put clean clothes on.

Life doesn't always have to be lowered to the lowest level like it is, why not raise your standards, maybe then the cruise lines might respond to requests to make a bit more effort on formal nights if they think that the current tranch of low budget cruisers is worth making the effort for.

Rules are made for the benefit of the majority, if it says dress, then dress it should be, you know what the situation is when you book, what gives you the right to ignore those recommendations and put yourself above those that do. It could be made mandatory, they manage to do it with the muster drill

If you don't wish to dress, go to the buffet, ain't rocket science!

We manage to pack tuxes and extra jackets and trousers for evening meals and we fly from the UK. Those of you in the US have it easier and less of an excuse!

On our last Caribbean cruise our party of five, all dressed in black tie / evening dress were complimented on how handsome we looked by a couple of Texan ladies who said their husband's idea of dressing for dinner was to have sleeves and collars on their vests (wife-beaters) and putting their caps on forwards. It's usually the ladies that would like to dress up and the fellas that can't be bothered to make the effort. Shame on you chaps, give your lady a chance to shine.

I'll get off my soap box now

It'll actually be a shame when they remove 'formal' nights. It's more of a shame that adults don't feel the need to dress 'properly' for an evening meal in a restaurant. We've seen people turn up for MDR late sitting in the very same clothes they went to the beach in that day! Probably not even bothering to wash let alone put clean clothes on.

Life doesn't always have to be lowered to the lowest level like it is, why not raise your standards, maybe then the cruise lines might respond to requests to make a bit more effort on formal nights if they think that the current tranch of low budget cruisers is worth making the effort for.

Rules are made for the benefit of the majority, if it says dress, then dress it should be, you know what the situation is when you book, what gives you the right to ignore those recommendations and put yourself above those that do. It could be made mandatory, they manage to do it with the muster drill

If you don't wish to dress, go to the buffet, ain't rocket science!We manage to pack tuxes and extra jackets and trousers for evening meals and we fly from the UK. Those of you in the US have it easier and less of an excuse!

On our last Caribbean cruise our party of five, all dressed in black tie / evening dress were complimented on how handsome we looked by a couple of Texan ladies who said their husband's idea of dressing for dinner was to have sleeves and collars on their vests (wife-beaters) and putting their caps on forwards. It's usually the ladies that would like to dress up and the fellas that can't be bothered to make the effort. Shame on you chaps, give your lady a chance to shine.

I'll get off my soap box now

Apparently the "rule" is that there is no more formal night. That must be what the cruise line determined he majority want. As you said, "it ain't rocket science."

Edited by Ocean Boy

On our last Caribbean cruise our party of five, all dressed in black tie / evening dress were complimented on how handsome we looked by a couple of Texan ladies who said their husband's idea of dressing for dinner was to have sleeves and collars on their vests (wife-beaters) and putting their caps on forwards.

Sure that happened...

We haven't done what we would call "formal" for years! Always in a nice dress, sparkly shoes etc and hubby in dress shirt and dress pants. All the rest on vacation is overkill for us and we have never been turned away from the dining room. In fact, our waiters make a point every time to tell us to please don't miss formal dinner if we are not dressed formally. I see far more people dressed similarly than I see formal diners any more. I guess the masses have spoken and Royal has finally listened.

Royal need to make a decision Formal Night is in or out.

If it remains police the dress standards for formal night to be formal or just announce what Celebrity has done about no more formal nights.

I agree with this. I also agree that they need to make and stick to a decision on shorts in the dining room. On our Freedom Cruise over half the men had shorts on on non-formal nights. Personally, I see nothing wrong with wearing nice shorts to dinner but prefer to be a rule follower. However, why follow the rules if they are not going to be enforced. The problem is who is going to police this, your waiter who is trying to hold on to a tip? People would be lined up at guest services removing their tips if a waiter didn't serve them for wearing shorts or not wearing a tie on formal night. Would someone be on guard at the MDR before you went to your table and give you a once over and decide if you are formal enough on formal night? Maybe they could hire someone for these boards to be the judge.

I had two ladies come up to me in the CL on Enchantment and tell me I looked nice in my tux.

That I believe.

What I don't believe is other ladies carrying on about how their husbands wear wife beaters and consider formal turning their hat around. Sounds made up to me.

I agree with this. I also agree that they need to make and stick to a decision on shorts in the dining room. On our Freedom Cruise over half the men had shorts on on non-formal nights. Personally, I see nothing wrong with wearing nice shorts to dinner but prefer to be a rule follower. However, why follow the rules if they are not going to be enforced. The problem is who is going to police this, your waiter who is trying to hold on to a tip? People would be lined up at guest services removing their tips if a waiter didn't serve them for wearing shorts or not wearing a tie on formal night. Would someone be on guard at the MDR before you went to your table and give you a once over and decide if you are formal enough on formal night? Maybe they could hire someone for these boards to be the judge.

I also see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of flat-fronted shorts on casual nights. I guess the problem comes in when people then try to lax the dress code to cargo or sport shorts.

And about who should police the dress code... On my Alaska cruise in 2014, we had a (very strange) couple as our tablemates. They claimed they'd been on Royal before, but knew absolutely nothing about formal night. :rolleyes: They didn't come the first formal night. The night before the second formal night, when our assistant waiter asked if they'd be at dinner the next day, they stated that they wouldn't be there because they didn't have formal clothes. Well our waiter quickly told them not to worry, just come in your casual clothes. I wasn't a fan of that, but it is what it is.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Apparently the "rule" is that there is no more formal night. That must be what the cruise line determined he majority want. As you said, "it ain't rocket science."

Are you saying for sure that RCL has done away with formal night?

Sure that happened...

Sorry to be a disappointment but it did indeed happen as I described, you have a right to be sceptical but I have absolutely no reason to make stuff up.

Things like this happen to lots of people, bit like making a point of thanking people in military uniform, making way for a person in a wheelchair or opening doors for ladies. If you're approachable and smile people will talk to you.

I'm sure there's a lot of people that make an effort to dress and are disappointed in those that turn up for an evening meal in a nice restaurant dressed like they've just come from a park, ball game, football match or what have you.

If your son / daughter was getting married would you accept people turning up at church in shorts, flip flops and tee shirt, refusing to remove their cap?

Would you be happy to see them or would you expect a modicum of respect for etiquette?

Same thing applies to cruising - there are rules, recommendations and expectations.

As far as our cruise info states there are two formal nights on our seven night cruise therefore we will dress accordingly, it will be disappointing if our cruise mates decide to dress down but can understand as the embarkation port is in the US., where people think their right to disobey rules or bend them to their advantage is legendary.

The rules could be managed far better, some cruise lines have hosts/hostesses at the doors turning passengers away if they're not dressed correctly, the servers wouldn't then have carte blanche to tell the improperly attired otherwise. The daily news sheet that gives info also state the expected dress code for the day, why not read it and comply?

Forget the "casualfying" of culture and those darned millennials: We can wear a suit. It isn't beneath us. You know the pages of GQ aren't filled with guys wearing Hanes tanktops and cargos, right? The bigger issue is that there isn't anything about the MDR to justify wearing a suit over. At least Carnival on their formal nights still has prime rib and lobster for me to eat instead of carved roast beef or mahi.

The thread is ' will RCCL be next.......'

That implies that is isn't the case yet, one would normally read the whole thread or at least the title before making any comment......that's not rocket science either is it?

Forget the "casualfying" of culture and those darned millennials: We can wear a suit. It isn't beneath us. You know the pages of GQ aren't filled with guys wearing Hanes tanktops and cargos, right? The bigger issue is that there isn't anything about the MDR to justify wearing a suit over. At least Carnival on their formal nights still has prime rib and lobster for me to eat instead of carved roast beef or mahi.

Last time on RCCL two years ago, formal night was Steak and Lobster night and an enhanced menu for the second formal night lobster being one of the choices. Looking around the MDR on that occasion there was only one table of improperly dressed (jeans, tees and caps) everyone else was in tuxes, suits and jackets minimum for gentlemen) by the time we had drink orders taken the table of six were on their way out. Not sure if they jumped or were pushed but they left.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Maybe by the passengers 'dumbing down' formal nights the cruise line decided that it wasn't any point of putting as much effort in as the new level of cruiser would prefer more simple fare as befitting their simpler life style and expectations.

We chose RCCL because the ships are nice, itineraries and price good, always had excellent service in general but my wife really enjoys dressing up in the evening. We've sailed on RCCL, Princess, Cunard and MSC, even a few lines that have now gone. Dressing for the evening has always been the norm rather than the exception and it would be a shame if it went, bit like Disneyland without the mouse.

Edited by Oscarsgrandad

I am sorry, but please cc members, stop making assumptions about the way people dress and their supposed "simple life", "simple expectations", and low class. We are a family in the upper socioeconomic level, enjoy great food and pampering, BUT also are on vacation to relax and not stress over clothing choices - and REALLY not interested in dissecting what other people are wearing.

If we wanted to go on a vacation where we wanted everyone to know our income level...or wanted everyone to THINK we are a certain income level, we certainly would not be cruising on Royal Caribbean. We do so because we enjoy the ships, the flexibility, and the relaxed atmosphere.

I really wish some on here would get off their high horses and worry about themselves and not others. The CC board was always a fun place to go to get excited about cruising and plan upcoming cruises. Unfortunately threads like this sour that a bit.

I know I have a choice to read certain posts and not others. I subscribed to this thread because I was excited about the fact that formal night might be removed from RCCL and I wanted to see what is up. I will wait for formal news from RCCL and not be frustrated further.

Happy cruising.

Edited by Sun and Fun

Sorry to be a disappointment but it did indeed happen as I described, you have a right to be sceptical but I have absolutely no reason to make stuff up.

Things like this happen to lots of people, bit like making a point of thanking people in military uniform, making way for a person in a wheelchair or opening doors for ladies. If you're approachable and smile people will talk to you.

I'm sure there's a lot of people that make an effort to dress and are disappointed in those that turn up for an evening meal in a nice restaurant dressed like they've just come from a park, ball game, football match or what have you.

If your son / daughter was getting married would you accept people turning up at church in shorts, flip flops and tee shirt, refusing to remove their cap?

Would you be happy to see them or would you expect a modicum of respect for etiquette?

Same thing applies to cruising - there are rules, recommendations and expectations.

As far as our cruise info states there are two formal nights on our seven night cruise therefore we will dress accordingly, it will be disappointing if our cruise mates decide to dress down but can understand as the embarkation port is in the US., where people think their right to disobey rules or bend them to their advantage is legendary.

The rules could be managed far better, some cruise lines have hosts/hostesses at the doors turning passengers away if they're not dressed correctly, the servers wouldn't then have carte blanche to tell the improperly attired otherwise. The daily news sheet that gives info also state the expected dress code for the day, why not read it and comply?

I do like the wedding analogy

A wedding is something you go to to celebrate family or close friends; you have a personal bond to the party. It actually *IS* a one time special occasion.

Cruise ship formal night in the main dining room, not so much.

The thread is ' will RCCL be next.......'

That implies that is isn't the case yet, one would normally read the whole thread or at least the title before making any comment......that's not rocket science either is it?

I read the whole thread. I made a comment about Celebrity as it has traditionally been the more formal of the two lines and this seems to be a trend. Got a problem with it?

Edited by Ocean Boy

I'd be all for removing formal night in the MDR while still offering a venue for those that want a formal night. Wearing a tux? Well, what about a free dinner at Chops or other specialty restaurant? Maybe designate one of the MDR floors to strictly formal? There are plenty of reasonable solutions to this.

I'd be all for removing formal night in the MDR while still offering a venue for those that want a formal night. Wearing a tux? Well, what about a free dinner at Chops or other specialty restaurant? Maybe designate one of the MDR floors to strictly formal? There are plenty of reasonable solutions to this.

Free dinner at Chops? Not gonna happen. That would tick off everyone that paid for other nights. And RCI isn't about to shut out revenue for formal wearers.

One floor of MDR to be designated formal? Sounds reasonable. Definitely is workable, IMO. I don't see an issue with that.

I'm more interested in them allowing shorts on non-formal evenings. That's more likely to happen sooner rather than later.

(BTW, nothing about the food or the service there was special enough to warrant making Grande a "formal" dining venue either.)

This statements really nails why I think at least some people feel no obligation to dress up, including myself - (though I do "on principal")

My wife and I (and kids when we bring them) still dress up a bit for formal night in the MDR - wife wears a dress, I usually wear a shirt and tie (pants too of course :) ). But I don't bother packing a suit anymore. Dinner in the MDR on formal night is simply no longer a suit and tie affair