Will RCCL be next...

davekathy

Last time on RCCL two years ago, formal night was Steak and Lobster night and an enhanced menu for the second formal night lobster being one of the choices. Looking around the MDR on that occasion there was only one table of improperly dressed (jeans, tees and caps) everyone else was in tuxes, suits and jackets minimum for gentlemen) by the time we had drink orders taken the table of six were on their way out. Not sure if they jumped or were pushed but they left.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

I don't think the passengers "dumbing down" formal nights led cruise lines like Royal Caribbean to change their menus and use cheaper options in order to save money and increase per cap revenue. Expenses went up (like the price of beef for example), they didn't want to pass the cost on to passengers, so they nix'ed things. Same reason there aren't chocolate buffets any more.

We've sailed on RCCL, Princess, Cunard and MSC, even a few lines that have now gone. Dressing for the evening has always been the norm rather than the exception and it would be a shame if it went, bit like Disneyland without the mouse.

There's plenty of cruise lines that will fulfill your desires for a more formal experience at dinner. You just might pay more for the privilege of taking them than RCCL. Considering how little RCCL has changed their pricing in all these years, even after adjusting for inflation, it isn't surprising that we got to this point.

Edited by Godsonsafari

No, Celebrity has. As per the title of the thread, will RCI be far behind?

Thanks OB. Now, on to ignoring that smartypants guy from the UK with 88 posts total (LOL)....his answers to some people are a bit arrogant and condescending!

I am sorry, but please cc members, stop making assumptions about the way people dress and their supposed "simple life", "simple expectations", and low class. We are a family in the upper socioeconomic level, enjoy great food and pampering, BUT also are on vacation to relax and not stress over clothing choices - and REALLY not interested in dissecting what other people are wearing.

If we wanted to go on a vacation where we wanted everyone to know our income level...or wanted everyone to THINK we are a certain income level, we certainly would not be cruising on Royal Caribbean. We do so because we enjoy the ships, the flexibility, and the relaxed atmosphere.

I really wish some on here would get off their high horses and worry about themselves and not others. The CC board was always a fun place to go to get excited about cruising and plan upcoming cruises. Unfortunately threads like this sour that a bit.

I know I have a choice to read certain posts and not others. I subscribed to this thread because I was excited about the fact that formal night might be removed from RCCL and I wanted to see what is up. I will wait for formal news from RCCL and not be frustrated further.

Happy cruising.

You are the wind beneath our wings just for saying this.

I read the whole thread. I made a comment about Celebrity as it has traditionally been the more formal of the two lines and this seems to be a trend. Got a problem with it?

I think it's time we all ignore this "Oscargrandad" Austin Powers lookalike, hehehe. Your post was perfectly legit and much thanks for helping me out.

My spouse and I returned last week from the Anthem TA. We ate dinner one night in Grande, and were quite dressed up. The place was very crowded, BUT lots of guests were not wearing anything that remotely would qualify as formal attire or even very dressy attire. In particular, men were allowed in wearing open-collared, non-white, casual shirts, and permitted to borrow a jacket and then hang it off their chair. If that qualifies as formal attire, then the dress code is a joke, and RCI should just ditch it at Grande.

(BTW, nothing about the food or the service there was special enough to warrant making Grande a "formal" dining venue either.)

There was one report where the men only carried the loaner jacket to their chair. Once at the table, the waiter took the jacket back to the entrance where it was given to another gentleman. Obviously, there were far fewer men with jackets than those without.

FWIW, there is a poll on Celebrity boarding with three choices, do you like the change, do you hate the change, do you even care. It's running 2 to 1 in favor of the poll.

This poll is very interesting. I was told countless times by those who prefered formal nights that over 95% dressed up for formal nights proving that an overwhelming majority prefered formal dress. I pointed out that compliance is not necessarily proof of popularity.

On our last Caribbean cruise our party of five, all dressed in black tie / evening dress were complimented on how handsome we looked by a couple of Texan ladies who said their husband's idea of dressing for dinner was to have sleeves and collars on their vests (wife-beaters) and putting their caps on forwards.

About once a year I agree with LMaxwell.

But I'll take "THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPENED, EVEN VAGUELY LIKE THIS" for $1000, Alex.

On our Freedom Cruise over half the men had shorts on on non-formal nights.

I've been on quite a few cruises and have never seen anything close to a majority of men wearing shorts.

I've never even seen 5% of men wearing shorts and we have been on a bunch of short 3-4 night cruises where lax things seem MORE LAX.

This sounds like hyperbole. Are you sure?

Off topic for a moment. How the HECK do you keep your future cruises straight>>>LOL. I get confused with TWO booked at the same time. :)

I have a spreadsheet. It's main purpose is to position ourselves so we don't get a repeat on our Crystal Blocks. I think the number booked in advance was to try and make sure we got good early pricing.

I really wish some on here would get off their high horses and worry about themselves and not others.

Happy cruising.

There's so many high horses on both sides of this issue you need a shovel just to get through this thread. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read the whole thread. I made a comment about Celebrity as it has traditionally been the more formal of the two lines and this seems to be a trend. Got a problem with it?

Absolutely no problem whatsoever, but quoting from my post where no reference was made to Celebrity and using a tag line as a gentle dig could be misconstrued.

In response to Sunandfun: no assumptions over a persons economic situation were made, a simple life and expectation are not money related, neither do I dress because of my financial situation, I do because that is expected by the cruise line. A lot of you might not realise the cost of flights to get to the point of embarkation on top of the cost of the cruise and we aren't top earners unfortunately. A cruise to us is a major expense and not one undertaken lightly

For the benefit that have never bothered to read it or aren't able to because it's from the UK RCCL website:

There are three distinct types of evening on board: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Polo shirts and trousers for men, sundresses or trousers for women

Smart Casual: Jacket and shirt for men, dresses or trouser suits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

CruiseLength

Casual

SmartCasual

Formal

3 nights

4 nights 3

5 nights 3

6 nights 3

7 nights 4

8 nights 4

9 nights 5

10 nights 6

11 nights 7

12 nights* 8

2*

13 nights 9

14 nights 8

15 nights Remaining Casual

Note: *Some 12 night or longer European cruises may have three formal nights

The first and last night of your cruise are normally designated as casual dress. The first sea day after the day of departure is usually the first formal night.

Casual dining is available in the Windjammer every night of the cruise except the last. Your ship may also have other casual dining venues as well.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in adapting these easy guidelines for your children.

So, it's simply we comply with the cruise lines requests and why should everyone else choose to ignore it because it just doesn't suit you. That's true arrogance....'up yours Jack, I'm okay'

Comment was made that I only have 88 posts - obviously not as outspoken as some might think, definitely not one to comment on something I don't think to be that important. I'm pretty sure that you feel your 6 - 8 thousand posts makes you always correct, all knowing, non-judgemental and certainly everyone's friend.

I'll leave you in peace now , once you started with childish personal slights you lost the argument.

It's fine with me, I just wish they would enforce the no flip flops, shorts, ripped jeans, sweatpants rule more often. They need to keep some sort of regulations, or we might as well just go in our robes! :p

I agree because it is going to end up looking like Carnival in the dining rooms if they don't draw the line somewhere.

Rules are made for the benefit of the majority, if it says dress, then dress it should be, you know what the situation is when you book, what gives you the right to ignore those recommendations and put yourself above those that do. It could be made mandatory, they manage to do it with the muster drill

If you don't wish to dress, go to the buffet, ain't rocket science!

We manage to pack tuxes and extra jackets and trousers for evening meals and we fly from the UK. Those of you in the US have it easier and less of an excuse!

I'll get off my soap box now

Since you pointed out that "Rules are made for the benefit of the majority,..", I'll point out that, that approximately 30% of those responding to a poll on this subject on the Celebrity board, oppose this change. It appears the majority have spoken.

We drive to the port see no reason to pack formal wear.

As far as our cruise info states there are two formal nights on our seven night cruise therefore we will dress accordingly, it will be disappointing if our cruise mates decide to dress down but can understand as the embarkation port is in the US., where people think their right to disobey rules or bend them to their advantage is legendary.

We've always had this revolutionary tendency here in the United States. Perhaps, you may have heard of that even in the UK?

I'd be all for removing formal night in the MDR while still offering a venue for those that want a formal night. Wearing a tux? Well, what about a free dinner at Chops or other specialty restaurant? Maybe designate one of the MDR floors to strictly formal? There are plenty of reasonable solutions to this.

Those who prefer formal nights are always telling us who do not to dine in the Windjammer, so why not hold formal nights there?

I've been on quite a few cruises and have never seen anything close to a majority of men wearing shorts.

I've never even seen 5% of men wearing shorts and we have been on a bunch of short 3-4 night cruises where lax things seem MORE LAX.

This sounds like hyperbole. Are you sure?

Yes, it was a Freedom Cruise out of Port Canaveral to the Caribbean the last week of August in 95 degree weather and maybe that had something to do with it. I made hubby pack dockers for casual nights and the first true casual night he counted 20 men in shorts before we got to our table (about 10 tables in). I let him wear shorts on casual nights the rest of week - it wasn't worth fighting over during my vacation. His shorts were not basketball style or cargo shorts. They are shorts he would wear to a summer company picnic.

I wouldn't wear shorts even if they relaxed the rules but in fairness a pretty sundress works in the MDR on casual nights for women and they are easy to pack and comfortable. I also don't see a great deal of difference between women in capri style pants and men in shorts.

Those who prefer formal nights are always telling us who do not to dine in the Windjammer, so why not hold formal nights there?

We gave up on the MDR years ago and have most of our dinners in the Windjammer. We 'Jammer folks would have no problem with someone showing up in a tux. We are very accepting people.:)

Since you pointed out that "Rules are made for the benefit of the majority,..", I'll point out that, that approximately 30% of those responding to a poll on this subject on the Celebrity board, oppose this change. It appears the majority have spoken.

We drive to the port see no reason to pack formal wear.

You mentioned the "C" word. I got wacked for doing that.:eek::D

I wonder how many still "show respect for tradition" by flying and arriving at the ship wearing a suit? Women and children included.

When the airlines stopped showing respect for their passengers by cramming as many seats into their planes as they could possible fit......

When the airlines stopped showing respect for their passengers by cramming as many seats into their planes as they could possible fit......

I disagree. I've been flying commercial since the mid-70s when it was common to find most passengers dressed very nicely to include the majority of men in suits or coat and tie. The changes came with de-regulation of the airline industry which resulted in fares sufficiently low to entice a broader clientele. Instead of 90% professionals flying for business reasons and load factors of 60%, the average passengers became families flying with children and the load factors soared.

Yes, the airlines did cram many more seats into their aircraft but this was the result of de-regulation and not a cause. IOW, the lesson is, if you make something a mass market commodity, then you will get a mass market clientele. Restoring the old days to the cruise lines (including formal nights) is easily accomplished by increasing fares. The increased fares will result in a changed clientele.

We gave up on the MDR years ago and have most of our dinners in the Windjammer. We 'Jammer folks would have no problem with someone showing up in a tux. We are very accepting people.:)

Yes, I know I suggested holding formal nights in the Windjammer. To be honest, I was only kidding. My family and I love the Windjammer and would not want to lower standards to accommodate the formal wear crowd. Quite frankly, allowing the formal wear crowd into the Windjammer would ruin the ambiance my family loves.

Yes, I know I suggested holding formal nights in the Windjammer. To be honest, I was only kidding. My family and I love the Windjammer and would not want to lower standards to accommodate the formal wear crowd. Quite frankly, allowing the formal wear crowd into the Windjammer would ruin the ambiance my family loves.

I agree with you and we also love the ambience. The formal wear crowd would never have taken you up on your gracious offer anyway.;)