Multiple Summit Charters/Redeployments in early 2017

cruzeluver

If you are in the US, I believe you can transfer your booking to any booking that is similar, and then spend time looking for something and transfer to that. We call it a "holding" cruise.

I'm surprised at Celebrity's dealing with this.

Beth

Just booked a nice Eclipse cruise. It ended up costing us $1500 less plus no airfare now to San Juan. I like the 1A off hump cabins on S Class ships as opposed to the C1 aft we had on the summit so that accounted for the price difference.

We still kept our free gratuities, beverage package and $600 OBC. $300 of which was for an onboard booking bonus from our last Summit cruise. We also have the redeployment $100 OBC for a total of $700 now.

Since we booked the January 21 Summit cruise onboard our Summit cruise 10 months ago, we had the all inclusive 123go which priced much better than the new Go Best Pricing now. We were able to get $900 off the current Go Best price for the Eclipse with all of the same benefits as before just not the internet and upgraded beverage package. We don't need internet for 2 just 1 plus we don't drink that much so to pay $900 for internet and the upgraded beverage package just seemed nuts to us.

In the end it worked out well for us.

We are going to end up cancelling Summit I am sure. Our week is the one that is now chartered for the 5 night swinger cruise. We cannot cruise after the end of March. So, since we really want to go out of San Juan, we will just go back to Royal. With my balcony discount, it is quite a bit cheaper, but we will now have to buy the alcohol package.

It is what it is, we all want to cruise the southern route. We will have fun no matter what. I am just glad it all happened before I had air and everything else booked.

At the end of the day the only people they are held accountable to is the shareholder. At the end of the year that's who they need to make sure is happy.

Since we're not shareholders, we cancelled and will take our business elsewhere.

Very poorly handled, and bad behavior should not be rewarded with repeat business.

I am super bummed. I booked the cruise last February and deposited $1800 for a suite... So they've held my money for 9 months the screwed me out of a cruise that I was very excited to take. Bad customer relations. None of the other cruises offered are remotely interesting. The measly credit offered is insulting.

Hmmmmm, we're on the April 1st sailing, should I be worried?

Hi Whitshel,

I wouldnt be worried, especially as April 2017 is in the distance. With that said, I'd definitely keep this on your radar, and keep checking our forum, or with your TA - or Celebrity if you've booked direct.

While there's no further information at this point, I suspect we'll have additional details in the near future. Stay Tuned.

Run where? All the cruise lines do this.

For three months worth of cruises?

Azamara [a sister line] has chartered out advertised cruises for nearly that long -- and since they only have 2 ships the chances of finding a replacement were much smaller.

Thanks everyone for this info.

I love how we got the "important information regarding your upcoming cruise" email about formal nights (which had no actual dress code info).

I came here to get the scoop on that, and found this!

Had to call Celebrity and ASK. The agent rattled off lots of detailed info, and eventually emailed it to me after I insisted she do so.

I liked our itinerary with many ports in just a week (benefit of the san juan departure) including ports that those in our group hadn't been to like Dominica and Martinique, plus the USVI. They still offer this itinerary in April, but we wanted to go when it's coldest where we live in Jan or feb.

Only so many affordable crise lInes depart from san juan, (royal and Norwegian). No similar itineraris from them that I see. Kinda bummed but maybe it just wasn't meant to be!

Azamara [a sister line] has chartered out advertised cruises for nearly that long -- and since they only have 2 ships the chances of finding a replacement were much smaller.

You can be the Celebrity cheerleader. It was not your cruise taken away.

They were booking our sailings and taking money for the charters as well. They are getting top dollar for these charters and gave us $100 and a few sailings to pick from.

I realize it's good business money wise for Celebrity but it's how they treated the rest of us that bothers me.

I would have been much happier if they offered my deposit back and a certificate for a future cruise with some OBC and a percentage discount. Give me something I could use. What they did was a bait and switch.

They were booking our sailings and taking money for the charters as well. They are getting top dollar for these charters and gave us $100 and a few sailings to pick from.

I realize it's good business money wise for Celebrity but it's how they treated the rest of us that bothers me.

I would have been much happier if they offered my deposit back and a certificate for a future cruise with some OBC and a percentage discount. Give me something I could use. What they did was a bait and switch.

I agree. It happened to us a number of years ago. Problem was it was during Spring Break, and so due to school timing we had literally only one other option. And to make it worse, it was just a little over six months prior - thank goodness we had not booked our airfare had we wanted to cancel. For our trouble we also got $100 OBC (per stateroom!).

Just because a company CAN do something legally does not mean it should. Yes, they are answerable to stockholders first and foremost. But if they continue to treat their loyal customers this way they will start losing business and then their stockholders will not be very happy at all. Good customer service translates to good stock returns at the end of the day. The way they handled this and the p**poor options they offered, including only 10 days to make the switch is unacceptable. At the worst, they should be offering people to move to one of those other cruises at the same level of cabin at the same price they originally booked, keeping all perks as well. This chartering of so many cruises is getting out of hand IMHO

Edited by phoenix_dream

This is a black day for Celebrity.

Celebrity is not Comcast, a monopoly. I guess they think they are?

Celebrity, look at B&H & Aderama Camera of NYC. 100% honest with their customers, that's a fact. I spent a bit over $10,000 on new camera gear this summer for my Sept 2015 Infinity Panama Canal Cruise. You don't get charged a one penny till your item ships, never had a problem (not one).

Celebrity took my $450 deposit for a Aqua 1 11 Night Summit Cruise. When did they know it wasn't going? Was it ever going?

To take my money knowing in advance they were going to try to charter the Summit instead is bad business, possibly fraud. Celebrity held my money (they still have it) for about 9-10 months.

Lets say you ordered a special car with a big down payment. You car comes in but the dealer sells it to someone else who offered more. The dealer doesn't even tell you your car is not coming in hopes when you get anxious and pick a different car. The dealer keeps your money knowing what you ordered is never coming in this year (limited supply).

Celebrity NEVER contacted me about our 11 night cruise being canceled. I had to call them, I had to demand a refund. They knew our cruise was chartered for over a month now. Celebrity just wanted me to pick another cruise in the next 10 days, for which I get $100 (on a cruise that's gone up $1,000 each).

I have an extremely low regard for Celebrity right now.

CaptDave

I wasn't being a cheerleader, or justifying Celebrity's practice -- just pointing out that the threat to go elsewhere is futile because the "elsewheres" may do the same thing.

I wasn't being a cheerleader, or justifying Celebrity's practice -- just pointing out that the threat to go elsewhere is futile because the "elsewheres" may do the same thing.

So, we should continue to give our business to X after they screwed us over???

Ain't gonna happen.

I agree that other lines can do the same thing. But it seems that Celebrity does it at a far greater rate than any other line. And this time for almost 3 months. I was considering the Summit for this time frame. I really enjoyed our cruise on the Summit in March. I guess I will be looking for something else. We also have been looking at the Eclipse 14 day, but it makes me think I will wait.

I keep hearing that this is good business to charter. But if they keep doing this they better watch out because people will start going to other lines. Once you experience a cancelled cruise it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. And hearing about more and more of these charters, I for one am gun shy about booking with Celebrity. I have experienced a cancelled cruise with another line and don't want to go through that again. Our cancellation was with much less notice (only about 6 months), but at least we were allowed to book any other cruise of the same length that was being offered at the price we were booked at with additional OBC. There are probably many others who get cancelled that won't book with the cruise line that cancelled them. Especially if the line does it often, which increases you chances of having this happen.

So, we should continue to give our business to X after they screwed us over???

Ain't gonna happen.

I think what he was pointing out was that you might have to give up cruising all together if you leave a cruise company after getting "screwed over"...it might take a while, but they all do same thing and eventually you will run out of options.

It's all about the $$'s

I can understand being upset if it's 6 months out. But, these in discussion are a year and two or three months away. Frankly, I think it's generous that they're even offering $100 in this situation. No one has been able to book airfare so it's not like there are any nonrefundable costs yet. I'd be thankful that you know so far in advance that you have time to consider other options. Will it really take more than 10 days to determine what's available in the same timeframe?

I can understand being upset if it's 6 months out. But, these in discussion are a year and two or three months away. Frankly, I think it's generous that they're even offering $100 in this situation. No one has been able to book airfare so it's not like there are any nonrefundable costs yet. I'd be thankful that you know so far in advance that you have time to consider other options. Will it really take more than 10 days to determine what's available in the same timeframe?

Has it happened to you?

In my case it was a unique itinerary that hit my dream islands. I am limited in what time period I get off from work and for how long.

I don't get to be like many people here that cruise several times a year and whenever they want.

The options they gave me didn't work. In the mean time prices were going up and cabin selection was going down and they knew the ship was chartered.

I will get over it but have every right to be angry right now.

Just booked a nice Eclipse cruise. It ended up costing us $1500 less plus no airfare now to San Juan. I like the 1A off hump cabins on S Class ships as opposed to the C1 aft we had on the summit so that accounted for the price difference.

We still kept our free gratuities, beverage package and $600 OBC. $300 of which was for an onboard booking bonus from our last Summit cruise. We also have the redeployment $100 OBC for a total of $700 now.

Since we booked the January 21 Summit cruise onboard our Summit cruise 10 months ago, we had the all inclusive 123go which priced much better than the new Go Best Pricing now. We were able to get $900 off the current Go Best price for the Eclipse with all of the same benefits as before just not the internet and upgraded beverage package. We don't need internet for 2 just 1 plus we don't drink that much so to pay $900 for internet and the upgraded beverage package just seemed nuts to us.

In the end it worked out well for us.

So, if we decide to not go with one of the 4 options provided, how do they price the new sailing? We also have the all inclusive 123go plus $450 OBC.

I think what he was pointing out was that you might have to give up cruising all together if you leave a cruise company after getting "screwed over"...it might take a while, but they all do same thing and eventually you will run out of options.

It's all about the $$'s

So be it - I'll take my chances.

The alternative is to continue to give my business to a company that I feel mistreated me ( and many others), which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Sorry for all those pax that now have to make alternative arrangements. I would love to see statistics on which cruiseline is at the top of the list for chartering their ships. I have to concur with others, X do appear to be chartering more and more recently, especially considering the size of their fleet.

Sorry for all those pax that now have to make alternative arrangements. I would love to see statistics on which cruiseline is at the top of the list for chartering their ships. I have to concur with others, X do appear to be chartering more and more recently, especially considering the size of their fleet.

I don't even think it matters which cruise line charters out the most ships. What matters is how they treat the customers that have already booked. This is where Celebrity is not playing fair.

More generous offers with a little more flexibility would likely soften the blow.

Thankfully, I'm not on the list of cancelled people this time although I was just about to book for Feb. 2017 but I did have another Celebrity cruise cancelled so I totally get the frustration.

Booked on 2/11/17 Summit.

Was offered price protection on any Silhouette sailing between Jan 22 and March 26 2017 or Reflection sailing between Jan 21 and March 25.

Have already been on the Silhouette twice, one Eastern and one Western. Picked the Summit for unique itinerary and the chance to spend a few days in San Juan.

Decided to move the trip forward and do it in 2016. Same cabin category available. Rate booked for 2017: $1399 PP for a C2, included all inclusive 123GO plus on board booking OBC (booked onboard Silhouette in March of 15). Prevailing rate for Feb 13 2016 is $2449. $2100 total price difference for the same exact cruise. Celebrity will not budge on rate protection for this sailing.

Not happy at all, but also know there's nothing that can be done. I can complain about the lack of fairness and how much it sucks, but will just get my deposit back and move on to another cruise line. I know this can happen with any line, but perhaps someone else would handle it differently. I don't think asking for price protection on an identical sailing with wide availability was asking too much.

Edited by purrlinda

I don't even think it matters which cruise line charters out the most ships. What matters is how they treat the customers that have already booked. This is where Celebrity is not playing fair.

More generous offers with a little more flexibility would likely soften the blow.

Thankfully, I'm not on the list of cancelled people this time although I was just about to book for Feb. 2017 but I did have another Celebrity cruise cancelled so I totally get the frustration.

I actually do think it would make a difference if it was known because it would probably make potential cruisers look elsewhere if they thought there was a higher chance of their cruise being chartered. I know that I would think twice about reserving if a particular line was frequently chartering without giving sufficient compensation. We are led to believe, take this thread for example, that all cruiselines are equal in chartering and 'dropping' their pre booked reservations - we may find some are far worse than others ;).

My DH just got off the phone with Celebrity - We booked an extended cruise for Jan 31st 2017 on the Summit which is not gone. Booked Aqua deck 11 aft cabin - the offer is that we can book the Equinox for a cruise that will now cost us over $1000 more person for and additional 3 nights and we'll get $100 OBC, which must be booked before November 20th this year. Pitiful is my response - and this was suppose to be an Anniversary Cruise we were really looking forward to as it was more than 7 days, included the ABC islands in the cabin we wanted. Celebrity customer service was very short with him also. Very unhappy.
$85 more than you would get on Princess. Its such a long time away you have plenty time to source some alternative plans.