Passport card question

Lily815

Might as well use your BC and Dl...the passport card is the same thing. Doesn't help if you have to fly.

True. My brother lost his passport, and is looking to save a few bucks. So, he thought the card would be good just for cruising.

I have both the card and book. I got the passport card as I no longer drive so I use it as my ID at home. I've had no trouble using my passport card as my ID for cruises.

Edited by Treven

True. My brother lost his passport, and is looking to save a few bucks. So, he thought the card would be good just for cruising.

If he is looking to save then a birth certificate and government issued ID would do the trick for a closed loop cruise. He's already in the system since he's had a passport so if something happened that he needed to fly home the Consulate should be able to issue his documents faster.

If he is looking to save then a birth certificate and government issued ID would do the trick for a closed loop cruise. He's already in the system since he's had a passport so if something happened that he needed to fly home the Consulate should be able to issue his documents faster.

That's great. Thank you very much - I will let him know.

I have both the card and book. I got the passport card as I no longer drive so I use it as my ID at home. I've had no trouble using my passport card as my ID for cruises.

I use my passport card, which I keep in a carrier around my neck, for domestic air travel (I lost my drivers license once). For cruises, I use my passport.

What he should do, IMO, is to consider the cost of a passport as being amortized over the 10 year life span of the document. So the passport works out to $11 per year, or less than a dollar a month. Getting both the book and card at the same time is $14 per year, or a bit over a buck a month. Add in that they are rock-solid pieces of identification and you have little reason to skimp.

Just a bit of economic thought.

What he should do, IMO, is to consider the cost of a passport as being amortized over the 10 year life span of the document. So the passport works out to $11 per year, or less than a dollar a month. Getting both the book and card at the same time is $14 per year, or a bit over a buck a month. Add in that they are rock-solid pieces of identification and you have little reason to skimp.

Just a bit of economic thought.

That's great except they don't sell them that way, they want the entire cost up front. A new passport when you add up all of the fees costs around $150. If one is planning to fly to Europe in 5 years do they get the passport now or do they wait until the trip gets closer to get the passport? The traveler's travel needs and travel pattern is more important to consider than the cost of the passport. If someone has no plans to travel internationally in the foreseeable future it doesn't make sense for them to get a passport. I know that you think it's pennywise and pound foolish to take that approach but how much sense does it make to buy something that you don't need?

(I'm disappointed, you didn't point out that most premium/luxury lines require a passport of all passengers on all itineraries;), but I just did:)).

That's great except they don't sell them that way, they want the entire cost up front.
And it has a useful lifetime of 10 years.

This is part of why many people are behind the financial 8-ball. They don't look at the long term value proposition and only focus on short term costs and returns. Many many examples in the economic literature of the fallacy of economic decisions simply on lowest immediate cost. Yes, there are always considerations of cash-flow, but most folks could use some basic Econ 101 to improve how they make decisions. And viewing useful lifetime and amortizing assets is a way to start.

A new passport when you add up all of the fees costs around $150.
But the OP was describing replacing a lost passport, which doesn't have the additional application fees.

If one is planning to fly to Europe in 5 years do they get the passport now or do they wait until the trip gets closer to get the passport? The traveler's travel needs and travel pattern is more important to consider than the cost of the passport. If someone has no plans to travel internationally in the foreseeable future it doesn't make sense for them to get a passport. I know that you think it's pennywise and pound foolish to take that approach but how much sense does it make to buy something that you don't need?
For the knowledge that I have a piece of identification that proves my identity and citizenship, it's cheap. Driver's license - hardly any proof. Birth Certificate - unwieldy to be using a piece of paper, and without an integral photo there is some question as to its usefulness.

As for future travel plans....what if there's a great travel deal to come along but....oh gosh darn, it would require flying to another country. That Icelandair deal to see the Northern Lights. Dashed. How about $400 round-trip flights to Rio or $600 to Japan? yep, those are recent deals that you would have to say "Nope". Would I pay $11 to have the opportunity for that? Damned straight!!

(I'm disappointed, you didn't point out that most premium/luxury lines require a passport of all passengers on all itineraries;), but I just did:)).
If someone is trying to save the $110 for the passport, I doubt if they'll be on Seabourn soon. So it was moot.

And it has a useful lifetime of 10 years.

This is part of why many people are behind the financial 8-ball. They don't look at the long term value proposition and only focus on short term costs and returns. Many many examples in the economic literature of the fallacy of economic decisions simply on lowest immediate cost. Yes, there are always considerations of cash-flow, but most folks could use some basic Econ 101 to improve how they make decisions. And viewing useful lifetime and amortizing assets is a way to start.

But the OP was describing replacing a lost passport, which doesn't have the additional application fees.

For the knowledge that I have a piece of identification that proves my identity and citizenship, it's cheap. Driver's license - hardly any proof. Birth Certificate - unwieldy to be using a piece of paper, and without an integral photo there is some question as to its usefulness.

As for future travel plans....what if there's a great travel deal to come along but....oh gosh darn, it would require flying to another country. That Icelandair deal to see the Northern Lights. Dashed. How about $400 round-trip flights to Rio or $600 to Japan? yep, those are recent deals that you would have to say "Nope". Would I pay $11 to have the opportunity for that? Damned straight!!

If someone is trying to save the $110 for the passport, I doubt if they'll be on Seabourn soon. So it was moot.

Stocking up on food when it's on sale is a good idea to save money and many folks do it, but if one stocks up on food that will reach it's expiration date before you can eat it then it makes less sense. My son obtained a passport when he went off to college "just in case". He is now graduated with near $200k in student loan debt and unlikely to use that passport for anything except maybe driving up to Canada, which can be done with other documents.

Great deal comes along? Sure, if you have the money and the time to take advantage of it, and that is what keeps most people from just taking off on a whim. Everyone is different, everyone's travel needs are different and the documentation that they need is different. The fact remains that there alternatives available to use other than passports. The passport is king, yessiree, but sometimes one doesn't need a king to get the job done.

When we first started cruising we looked at the alternatives, the risks, and our foreseeable travel needs and decided to wait to obtain passports until we actually were able to plan a trip that required international flight. That happened this year when we flew to Germany and we are much more likely now to use the passports again and again before they expire since the kids are grown and we have more time and money for us. Had we purchased passports back then they'd only have 4 years left on them. Who wants a can of beans that are half way through its shelf life when a fresh can is available:)?

(And of course we are both debating an issue knowing that neither of us is likely to change each other's minds, but I think that it important for someone making this decision to consider all of the pros and cons in making that decision.)

That's incorrect. The process of replacing a lost or stolen passport is treated as a first time passport application. The application form, supporting documentation and fees required are the same as for a new passport.

Thank you for your assumption. My brother has a terminal illness and has exhausted his savings on medical treatments. He went from a high 6-figure salary to just about nothing now. This will be his last trip before he dies. So no, he won't be on Seabourn any time soon; however, he has had far more luxury in his short 42 years than most have had in a lifetime. In the end, none of it matters. Good people die, and jerks are still jerks.

Thank you for your assumption. My brother has a terminal illness and has exhausted his savings on medical treatments. He went from a high 6-figure salary to just about nothing now. This will be his last trip before he dies. So no, he won't be on Seabourn any time soon; however, he has had far more luxury in his short 42 years than most have had in a lifetime. In the end, none of it matters. Good people die, and jerks are still jerks.

I hope that your brother has a wonderful cruise.

Stocking up on food when it's on sale is a good idea to save money and many folks do it, but if one stocks up on food that will reach it's expiration date before you can eat it then it makes less sense. My son obtained a passport when he went off to college "just in case". He is now graduated with near $200k in student loan debt and unlikely to use that passport for anything except maybe driving up to Canada, which can be done with other documents.

Great deal comes along? Sure, if you have the money and the time to take advantage of it, and that is what keeps most people from just taking off on a whim. Everyone is different, everyone's travel needs are different and the documentation that they need is different. The fact remains that there alternatives available to use other than passports. The passport is king, yessiree, but sometimes one doesn't need a king to get the job done.

When we first started cruising we looked at the alternatives, the risks, and our foreseeable travel needs and decided to wait to obtain passports until we actually were able to plan a trip that required international flight. That happened this year when we flew to Germany and we are much more likely now to use the passports again and again before they expire since the kids are grown and we have more time and money for us. Had we purchased passports back then they'd only have 4 years left on them. Who wants a can of beans that are half way through its shelf life when a fresh can is available:)?

(And of course we are both debating an issue knowing that neither of us is likely to change each other's minds, but I think that it important for someone making this decision to consider all of the pros and cons in making that decision.)

With the understanding that your mind will not be changed about passports and that you are clearly someone who does one's best to think through financial decisions (even minor ones like a about $100/person for a ten year passport), how does a thoughtful financial plan allow the amassing of $200k in student loan debt (this assumes, hopefully erroneously, that you're talking about an undergraduate degree and not graduate professional school., e.g., medical/dental).

Nothing personal here. Rather, I am always curious about this issue having spent a professional lifetime in mostly executive service to universities where that kind of debt raises many questions about the failure of the campus, the state/federal government and/or the student's personal circumstances to plan/implement an efficacious support structure that minimizes post-graduation debt.

Sorry in advance for any possible thread hijacking.

With the understanding that your mind will not be changed about passports and that you are clearly someone who does one's best to think through financial decisions (even minor ones like a about $100/person for a ten year passport), how does a thoughtful financial plan allow the amassing of $200k in student loan debt (this assumes, hopefully erroneously, that you're talking about an undergraduate degree and not graduate professional school., e.g., medical/dental).

Nothing personal here. Rather, I am always curious about this issue having spent a professional lifetime in mostly executive service to universities where that kind of debt raises many questions about the failure of the campus, the state/federal government and/or the student's personal circumstances to plan/implement an efficacious support structure that minimizes post-graduation debt.

Sorry in advance for any possible thread hijacking.

It was his decision to go to a school that charges that knowing what financial aid he had available (and actually the $200k is the debt he and his new wife have total so his is less than that, probably closer to $160k). Unfortunately for him he went to college when my income spiked leaving him unqualified for much in financial aid. I am not sure what the answer is but tuition is certainly costly in many institutions. He has landed a good job as a government contractor and his wife is in management in retail so they aren't doing too badly.

In any event if someone does to decide to get a passport that they don't need it's unlikely to cause financial ruin;) but I do like to get my money's worth for what I purchase and that includes using something that has an expiration date well before it expires.