Booked Princess and doubting my decision

spyfytiffy

We have been on three Carnival cruises out of Galveston. We've gone on the Ecstasy the Magic and the Triumph. The magic was our favorite by far. Next year is our 10 year anniversary and we wanted to go to Eastern Caribbean instead of Western. We also wanted a more elegant cruise. So we booked the Valentines cruise on the Royal princess out of Ft Lauderdale. I am now starting to doubt Our decision after reading a lot of the reviews. I'm afraid we went from one end of the spectrum to the other. One thing that gets on her nerves about carnival is it is hard to find a spot without kids and a little wild at times. I guess that is why we liked the magic because it has the serenity deck. I have always wanted to go on princess but reading that the royal in regal princess are not like the other ships in princess. I am also wanting to feel the WOW factor this time. We are in our mid 30s and although we are looking for more of a relaxation cruise this time we still enjoy activities. I'm starting to think we should've went Royal Caribbean instead. For those who have been on all three liners please give me your insight.

Stop worrying....all of the mass market cruise lines are more alike than different....you'll be fine! There are just as many kids on RCI as Carnival....and if they aren't YOUR kids...ignore them! So easy to do!

Edited by cb at sea

We have been on three Carnival cruises out of Galveston. We've gone on the Ecstasy the Magic and the Triumph. The magic was our favorite by far. Next year is our 10 year anniversary and we wanted to go to Eastern Caribbean instead of Western. We also wanted a more elegant cruise. So we booked the Valentines cruise on the Royal princess out of Ft Lauderdale. I am now starting to doubt Our decision after reading a lot of the reviews. I'm afraid we went from one end of the spectrum to the other. One thing that gets on her nerves about carnival is it is hard to find a spot without kids and a little wild at times. I guess that is why we liked the magic because it has the serenity deck. I have always wanted to go on princess but reading that the royal in regal princess are not like the other ships in princess. I am also wanting to feel the WOW factor this time. We are in our mid 30s and although we are looking for more of a relaxation cruise this time we still enjoy activities. I'm starting to think we should've went Royal Caribbean instead. For those who have been on all three liners please give me your insight.

I don't really understand from your comment what you think the Royal Princess will be like and I can't compare it to other liners since we are Princess loyalists but I can tell you that the Royal Princess is visually stunning. We first cruised on it in December 2013 (7 day Eastern Caribbean) and again last month (20 day B2B Eastern and Southern Caribbean).

We found there were plenty of activities (but you won't find rock climbing, water slides, etc.) and really enjoyed the live music throughout the ship throughout the day - we heard some first rate musicians. If you like relaxation, one of the pools (Retreat Pool) and the entire surrounding area is adults only - and they enforce that. Alternatively check out the Sanctuary (lounges for $20 half day, $40 full day or if reserving the entire cruise $30 a day) for wonderful lounges and pampering (spa lunch delivered to your lounge for $3 order; free afternoon tea with scones, pastries and sandwiches; cold towels; cold water spray, etc.)

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

cb, the op is talking about Royal Princess, not Royal Caribbean.

To the op, go and have a good time. Some things will be disappointing like the tiny rooms but on the other hand, some things will impressive, like the live entertainment. Also, changing things up and cruising multiple lines is so much better than staying brand loyal. Trust me. :)

Regal was our first princess cruise last winter....loved the ship....more like celebrity than rc....a ship for grownups.....and I don't mean geezers....sophisticated,lovely areas to dine outside,an amazing buffet and, like another poster,music everywhere......really no faults to list except for the geezer who took out a flosser and flossed his teeth at the table in the mdr!!!.....we were with adult family for their first princess trip and we would all book again.....have a wonderful time!!.....one last thought....the balconies are narrow but not a deal breaker for me....

We did a similar Carnival to Celebrity switch due to a very good deal this summer and worried it wouldn't be 'us'. We are late twenties and like things lively but not a drunken brawl.

We ended up enjoying our cruise (not as much as Carnival) but the atmosphere was a little more sedate. However, our main comparison was when you removed small touches how similar things were...especially things like service and food. We feel (to use my favourite phrase) that main stream luxury lines are 'fur coat and no knickers' as they do a great job dressing things up but when you get down to the nitty gritty its very similar. I know people will disagree with me on that last comment but thats my experience.

I guess it depends on what your particular interests are. We've been on all three lines, would not hesitate to sail princess any time. My personal hesitation is Carnival for some of the reasons you've mentioned. You'll enjoy your Princess cruise. No worries.

The key is to go on the cruise with a positive attitude and to not compare the different lines during your cruise.

You are celebrating a special milestone so focus on that and all of the positives about the cruise and you can easily have a nice time.

Do post when you get back about your experience.

Keith

Its hard to see what your exact niche could be.

You found Carnival a little wild. You want any kids not to be underfoot and are looking for more of a relaxation cruise--but still want to feel a 'wow' factor.

You should not feel out of place on Royal Princess. Second week of February is before the peak of family vacations so kids should not be an issue. You will likely be among the youngest passengers on board but as it is Valentines week they will be others looking to celebrate similarly. Dining on Princess is far more elegant than on Royal Caribbean and I'm sure they will have a festive menu and atmosphere in the dining rooms on the 14th. And lots of activities for that week will have a 'romance' theme.

There is an adults-only pool deck on Royal Princess. You may want to consider splurging for the Sanctuary area on one of the sea days; if you want the 14th you will need to make that reservation as soon as you board. But as others have already pointed out, the best way to mark your special occasion is to celebrate together wherever you are, not where you might otherwise be.

There is an adults-only pool deck on Royal Princess. You may want to consider splurging for the Sanctuary area on one of the sea days; if you want the 14th you will need to make that reservation as soon as you board. But as others have already pointed out, the best way to mark your special occasion is to celebrate together wherever you are, not where you might otherwise be.

Adults only is just theory from what we saw. Not even the crew said anything to kids there.

Adults only is just theory from what we saw. Not even the crew said anything to kids there.

We never saw any kids in the Retreat area on 27 days of sailing but that wasn't during the summer/school breaks. Did you ask the crew to say something? We have on another Princess ship and they responded right away; given that not just the pool but that entire area is designated and hyped as adult only I can only hope that Royal Princess crew would act similarly.

We have sailed Carnival out of Galveston and also Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. We had a great time on both lines. They are actually more similar than you think. Yes, Princess is more refined and you will notice the population is a slightly older crowd, but we had a great time. You will notice some similarities with the entertainment on board as well as the way the ship operates during the day.

Just go in with a positive attitude and you'll be fine. Plus, I do think you will find more kid free areas and more quiet areas and that sounds wonderful!

Royal Princess is a stunning ship, visually beautiful, and with wonderful food options and staff who really are the consummate hosts.

The food in the buffet is superb and available all day. It is great to return from a trip ashore and to find all the options available whatever the time. We thought it was the best on any of the 43+ cruises we have been on and significantly better than Celebrity or Cunard. It cannot be compared to Carnival or even RCI, both of which we found lacking - although that doesn't stop us cruising with RCI as we just avoid the buffet.

Nobody can say if you will enjoy Princess. That is entirely personal. But Royal Princess has much to offer and we really enjoyed the adult only pool, despite it being a New Year cruise, it was never spoilt by children.

Hope you have a great time and really enjoy all that Royal Princess has to offer.

Edited by ellie1145

Most of our cruises have been with Princess and we began cruising them in our late thirties. We've also cruised Carnival, but prefer Princess. It's a quieter cruise (with the average age ratcheting up with the length of the cruise), but we always have found plenty to do.

As to the negative reviews, you'll find those for every line as so many people are much more likely to complain than to praise. I also feel there's been a huge uptick in complaints as a means of getting compensation from cruise lines, which is very unfortunate.

The food is much better on Princess, although of course that can be so subjective. :)

The food in the buffet is superb and available all day. It is great to return from a trip ashore and to find all the options available whatever the time. We thought it was the best on any of the 43+ cruises we have been on and significantly better than Celebrity or Cunard. It cannot be compared to Carnival or even RCI, both of which we found lacking - although that doesn't stop us cruising with RCI as we just avoid the buffet.

I think this is the strongest feature of this ship class. The buffet on Royal's sister ship, Regal, was the best cruise ship buffet I have ever seen....not only in terms of size and set-up, but also the selection.

I think this is the strongest feature of this ship class. The buffet on Royal's sister ship, Regal, was the best cruise ship buffet I have ever seen....not only in terms of size and set-up, but also the selection.

I do have to agree with that. I really could appreciate the fact that the food was not only available all day, but it was far better quality.

My husband and I still talk about the regal buffet.....a whole room for cheese!....it's own bakery with some delightful choices...almost nothing gelatinous like most other lines....we are doing rccl in feb to be with extended family and not thinking about the food at all...

thank you all for responding I feel better about my decision. Wow! I am starting to get excited! Carnivals food is always lacking except for the Magic's steak restaurant (that was awesome).I am a little bummed that I have to pay more for the sanctuary, but may try different alternatives. We got an great deal on a balcony and heard those are smaller, but again not too much of an issue. We loved the cove balcony on the magic.

We got an great deal on a balcony and heard those are smaller, but again not too much of an issue. We loved the cove balcony on the magic.

Smaller??!! That's an understatement. Before, I named Royal's best feature. Her worst feature is certainly her balconies.

ry%3D480

Smaller??!! That's an understatement. Before, I named Royal's best feature. Her worst feature is certainly her balconies.

ry%3D480

I would've got an ocean view but not available so was either inside or balcony. [emoji53] Definitely wouldn't have paid more than what I did. I wonder why they would design these like this.