Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

Hey! I resemble that remark!:p

(Don't make me come over there, take your best looking sheep and export your butt to Canada!

Wait, that's why I'm here! (Donald) ) :o

Animal+Cartoon_Sheep+Cartoon_Animals_Bird_Bird+Cartoon_Chick_Chickie_Sheep_Sheep_Cartoon_Illustratio.jpg

Canada is a gorgeous country, however I'm quite happy in Scotland thanks.

Although I wish there were more cruises available on the Eastern side of Canada in July/August as they remain on our wish list.

I voted "I don't care " because , wait for it , I don't care what others wear . I usually take a suit but might just take a jacket . Jettisoning a tie will be the next step down my personal road to slovenly attire . :D

Like many (most ?) of you , there isn't a single restaurant near me where one is obliged to dress up.

Gotta ask - If you don't care why are you reading/posting on this thread?

Gotta ask - If you don't care why are you reading/posting on this thread?
Please forgive me . I forgot that even though my opinion was a given option , one must be dogmatic . No it has to be black or white ! So dressing for my own sake (and even more for DW) and not anyone else is wrong . Not caring what others dress like is even worse . And the greatest sin of all is sharing this opinion here . Well then being Canadian I must apologize . Sorry .

Think everyone is entitled to vote in the poll and express an opinion. It might only be Celebrity that has decided to come out and state a change of ruling on dress code but you can bet this will filter across all the major cruise lines. It pretty much has already. Apart from a Cunard cruise when someone tried to enter without a jacket and tie I have yet to see anyone challenged when entering the MDR on a formal night. Nothing really has changed other than making passengers who do not want to wear a dark suit more comfortable in their choice. Ladies were never going to be an issue ... A cocktail dress has been acceptable for many years. On P&O they hold a 'black and white' formal evening and that lends itself to evening formal DJs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please forgive me . I forgot that even though my opinion was a given option , one must be dogmatic . No it has to be black or white ! So dressing for my own sake (and even more for DW) and not anyone else is wrong . Not caring what others dress like is even worse . And the greatest sin of all is sharing this opinion here . Well then being Canadian I must apologize . Sorry .

Great reply, although sarcasm will be lost on some folks on this thread.

Great reply, although sarcasm will be lost on some folks on this thread.

I can't believe how many respondents and views this poll has had.... :eek:

Certainly has rattled a few cages eh? :p

Edited by A Sixth?

Completely OT, but I admire your continued allegience to the Expos. You must be a true fan, sadly of which there were far too few of to keep them in Montreal. Do you root for the Nats?

Completely OT, but I admire your continued allegience to the Expos. You must be a true fan, sadly of which there were far too few of to keep them in Montreal. Do you root for the Nats?
Still OT - You never forget your first love and no I don't root for the Nats .

That would be like rooting for my first love's second love . :(

NOOOOOO. I can't vote on I-pad. One reason we love Celebrity is the one chance a year for DH to wear a tux and for me to wear a formal dress. I love the formal nights. I hope they don't stop, there are enough cruise lines that are casual and relaxed. Please keep the formal evenings.

I agree. We will be wearing our formal clothes.

Aw, who cares! My wife and I both get dressed for dinner, she with a nice sun dress and I with Cubvera shirt and dress pants. As for those who select to wear shorts, muscle shirts, (yes, we saw that), T-shirts, jeans with holes--we consider that entertainment, bring on the clowns!

• 3 weeks later...
People who don't travel a lot often use the whine that packing lite is dumb and that it means lite packers are "cheap" "unfashionable" and even "unhygienic" :mad:

We too love to travel and lugging bags around the streets of Europe onto trains, ferries and metros NOT!!!..... there is NO WAY I will ever pack one pair of socks more than I need.

edit: And another secret to lite is buy high end clothes meant to look good and travel.

I'm very late to this party. I voted yes. A Sixth, I've read lots of your posts on this topic and I'm in your camp. (and I too like Tilley clothes)

To those that lament this change; is it really that much of a change? With the advent of specialty restaurants and their less restrictive dress codes, and people heeding the request of the traditionalists to "eat in the buffet" instead of the dining room on formal nights, how elegant have the ships been, really? I get that you're disappointed with yet another cruise tradition falling by the wayside, but formal nights have been on the way out for a long time. Society is way less formal than it once was. And take it for what it's worth, but I am sympathetic to your disappointment. I'm just not in agreement with it in this instance. Regards.

People who don't travel a lot often use the whine that packing lite is dumb and that it means lite packers are "cheap" "unfashionable" and even "unhygienic" :mad:

We too love to travel and lugging bags around the streets of Europe onto trains, ferries and metros NOT!!!..... there is NO WAY I will ever pack one pair of socks more than I need.

Traveling light us definitely the way to go! We just returned from a 25-day land trip through Germany, France, Switzerland and Spain, leading into a 15-day TA home to the US. For the 40 days, we each packed ONE carry-on backpack style suitcase and a small camera bag or similar. Believe me, there was no room for a tux or formal in our luggage - even with many rounds of laundry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't say that I loved formal nights, but It was fun to get dressed up a few nights. I know I still can, but it isn't the same when you are the only one. Behavior does change with the way you are dressed, it's been shown time and again. It all started with them not enforcing Formal Night. You only had to dress for the MDR - none of the specialty restaurants - so you had a mixed dress code.

I will comment that I found it interesting on our last cruise to the Baltic just how many people really DID dress for formal night compared with both Caribbean and TAs. It was actually quite nice to see everyone in their gowns/cocktail dresses and the men in tuxes and nice suits.

Absolutely it's about time. I haven't dressed in formal attire in years and we are travelers who have learned the art of packing light with one carry on each. There is nothing wrong with Country Club Casual even on formal nights.

Marion

Even though I am opposed to the change, seems as if it will be here to stay. So Celebrity, PLEASE PLEASE ENFORCE the dress code. The last Shil cruise we were on last week, the code was plainly not being enforced. We saw people in the MDR in shorts and on formal night one man was dressed in formal attire with a baseball cap on his head as he ate his dinner. We could learn a few things from the British.