Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

THIS POLL NEEDS EXPANDING TO THE OTHER CRUISE LINE FORUMS TO GIVE A WIDER MEMBER VOTE.

There are quite a few discussion groups on other cruise line forums and yet only one poll.

Could you not just start a poll on one or more of the other boards if you feel there is a need? I can't see a lot of benefit, though, in having HAL or other lines' passengers voting on Celebrity's dress code.

I agree at the moment but for the poll to be of real value it should have larger numbers voting.

Think the cruise lines will jump in whichever way they feel is the most profitable. If they feel the majority are in favour of more elegant but casual attire that will lead the way forward to change. Now is the time for passengers to have their say.

However in the context of 22 million for 2014 CC statistics will represent a drop in the ocean anyway. Oooops no pun intended.

CLIA used the description 'Country Club' for the casual attire. Not sure that is any more helpful but in their survey only 20% voted for formal.

You will have to excuse my ignorance but what is a "a wife beater" shirt. I have been a member of Cruise Critic for 8 years and have seen it mentioned quite a few times. I believe it must be an American terminology as I am not aware of it in the UK. I'm pretty sure I don't own one lol! and will continue to wear my Dinner Suit at Evening Chic nights. Too much going on in the World to let myself be bothered if someone is wearing jeans.

I know others have answered your question with descriptive photos, but I wanted to point out that it is really an undergarment. I'm not sure when people began wearing them alone. My own father never wore this style of undershirt, but I remember my Grandfather and uncles did. I dislike seeing them worn in public as much as I dislike seeing men and women wearing "pajama bottoms" in public. I'm also positive anyone attempting to attend dinner in this attire will be turned away!

Poll seems pretty valid.

Sample size is big maybe 2-3 million, so 600-900 responses needed for a 95% confidence.

Formal gone. :cool:

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

I won't dispute your numbers but I will point out this is a poll of Cruse Critic members only. The results of a poll of all the cruising public might produce different results. I rather doubt those results would be more favorable for formal dining since I suspect cruise critic members tend to favor a more traditional cruising experience.

I won't dispute your numbers but I will point out this is a poll of Cruse Critic members only. The results of a poll of all the cruising public might produce different results. I rather doubt those results would be more favorable for formal dining since I suspect cruise critic members tend to favor a more traditional cruising experience.

Absolutely agree! :)

When talking with my work-mates about booking their first cruise they counter that idea of "formal night" keeps them doing it more than anything else.

The other things keeping them from going on a cruise, in no particular order, no unlimited beverages, too crowded, no time in port, have a set time to dine and getting sea-sick.

A small sampling there but probably typical.

men-sea_sickness-cruise-drunk-sick-sea_legs-jki0036l.png

Edited by A Sixth?

Yes, yes, yes, yes! I cruise to relax and be comfortable. Dressing up is not my idea of comfortable. Also, as a very light packer (one carry-on for all trips - no matter how long) I won't pack formal clothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Poll seems pretty valid.

Sample size is big maybe 2-3 million, so 600-900 responses needed for a 95% confidence.

Formal gone. :cool:

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Where to start? :eek: How about a little food for thought? There's 99% confidence level with only 7 respondents. You read that right: 99%! Of course the margin of error isn't stated. It's 50%, so basically a coin flip.

The population size is the big number for which you're trying to derive statistics. I have no idea where you got the 2-3 million figure though. (Is it a number from somewhere specific?) In 2011, there were 12.18 cruise passengers from North America, primarily the USA & Canada. There were 4.68 million passengers from Europe. The rest of the world accounted for 2.32 million pax. (Source: Statisca.)

The sample size is the number of people surveyed. There are going to be some obvious sampling bias issues with a poll like the one here. You can say that the poll, with 892 responses as I write this, has done a good job of reflecting the opinions of those people who responded, but there would have to be a bit of extra work in order to state that it's reflective of the cruising population at large. Unfortunately, that can't really be done because the CC poll function doesn't capture any of the extra data needed.

The confidence level or confidence interval tells you how confident you can be that your results are within the margin of error you're reporting for your survey. A 95% confidence level, without a stated margin of error, is meaningless. Back to my example: If you surveyed a mere 7 people, you'd have a confidence level of 99%. You'd have a margin of error of 50% (coin flip) but you'd be 99% confident that you had results within the margin of error. You'd need only 4 responses for 95% confidence. Without the margin of error, the confidence level tells you nada.

If you assume that the people responding to the survey were representative of all cruise passengers (which you can't but we have to start somewhere,) the current sample size of 892 gives you results with margin of error of +/- 3.279% at a 95% confidence level. Or, a margin of error of +/- 4.317% at a 99% confidence.

My guess though, is that the survey method is probably good for another 3-4%, and the question design, which is seriously leading, probably contributes additional error. The available responses should have been: Yes, No, and No Opinion. The "move forward" and "hate the idea" add-ons introduce bias. Poor question and response design can swing poll and survey results pretty far.

Ultimately, the results are such that even with the bias and other survey problems, it's pretty clear that the people on this board like the more casual option. (Before anyone throws a snit, survey bias is a technical thing and not a prejudice or some sort of character flaw.)

No offense intended, :) the name makes me picture a tall cowboy on a horse about to lasso something... stereotype I know :)

I"m from L.A, & yesterday it was freezing, (65 F) so we all pulled out our sweaters & scarves but still wore our rainbow sandals, so I guess some stereotypes are true :)

enjoy the waffles:)

65F and you're freezing. Give me strength! We were down to 32F overnight in Scotland with day temps not above 39F. You poor things.

The population size is the big number for which you're trying to derive statistics. I have no idea where you got the 2-3 million figure though. (Is it a number from somewhere specific?)

Don't fret too much.

The number was based on Celebrity fleet capacity of 5 Solstice and 4 Millie Class ships over a six month period. I was trying to be as big a population size to determine a redonkeyless number of respondents to keep it relevant.

Point is that as RocketMan275 said, the poll likely attracts more of the traditional formal crowd who have found Cruise Critic than the average Joe.

Edited by A Sixth?

Where to start? :eek: How about a little food for thought? There's 99% confidence level with only 7 respondents. You read that right: 99%! Of course the margin of error isn't stated. It's 50%, so basically a coin flip.

The population size is the big number for which you're trying to derive statistics. I have no idea where you got the 2-3 million figure though. (Is it a number from somewhere specific?) In 2011, there were 12.18 cruise passengers from North America, primarily the USA & Canada. There were 4.68 million passengers from Europe. The rest of the world accounted for 2.32 million pax. (Source: Statisca.)

The sample size is the number of people surveyed. There are going to be some obvious sampling bias issues with a poll like the one here. You can say that the poll, with 892 responses as I write this, has done a good job of reflecting the opinions of those people who responded, but there would have to be a bit of extra work in order to state that it's reflective of the cruising population at large. Unfortunately, that can't really be done because the CC poll function doesn't capture any of the extra data needed.

The confidence level or confidence interval tells you how confident you can be that your results are within the margin of error you're reporting for your survey. A 95% confidence level, without a stated margin of error, is meaningless. Back to my example: If you surveyed a mere 7 people, you'd have a confidence level of 99%. You'd have a margin of error of 50% (coin flip) but you'd be 99% confident that you had results within the margin of error. You'd need only 4 responses for 95% confidence. Without the margin of error, the confidence level tells you nada.

If you assume that the people responding to the survey were representative of all cruise passengers (which you can't but we have to start somewhere,) the current sample size of 892 gives you results with margin of error of +/- 3.279% at a 95% confidence level. Or, a margin of error of +/- 4.317% at a 99% confidence.

My guess though, is that the survey method is probably good for another 3-4%, and the question design, which is seriously leading, probably contributes additional error. The available responses should have been: Yes, No, and No Opinion. The "move forward" and "hate the idea" add-ons introduce bias. Poor question and response design can swing poll and survey results pretty far.

Ultimately, the results are such that even with the bias and other survey problems, it's pretty clear that the people on this board like the more casual option. (Before anyone throws a snit, survey bias is a technical thing and not a prejudice or some sort of character flaw.)

All those are important considerations but it's important to note that with all it's flaws this poll tracks very closely a Cruise Line Industry Association poll which found 70% prefer a casual elegant over a formal dress. (As referenced in this link)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48285588#post48285588

I think the most serious flaws of this Cruise Critic poll are, first, it's reliance upon self-selection among respondents, and, two, I'm fairly certain Cruise Critic members are somewhat biased towards the formal option than the cruising public in general.

Don't fret too much.

The number was based on Celebrity fleet capacity of 5 Solstice and 4 Millie Class ships over a six month period. I was trying to be as big a population size to determine a redonkeyless number of respondents to keep it relevant.

Point is that as RocketMan275 said, the poll likely attracts more of the traditional formal crowd who have found Cruise Critic than the average Joe.

Thanks. That explains a lot. :D At double occupancy, the Millennium & Solstice Class ships hold 23,082 passengers. For them to handle 2 million passengers, they'd have to turn over more than 86 times per year. For 3 million passengers, they'd need to churn about 130 times. I don't even think Carnival, with its 3 and 4 day cruises does that.

Of course, you could also get to the 2-3 million with an average of 3.3 to 5 passengers per room on 7 day cruises all year long.

This is an incredibly intelligent response. I am very impressed.

My family loves the new concept. They hated formal nights. We are starting to plan a cruise to celebrate a family member's big birthday with a cruise to Bermuda. We had been looking at several options..... Veendam, Anthem, Granduer, and Summit. Once we learned about the new evening chic, it was an easy decision.....Summit.

I belong to a couple of UK social media sites and while there is some support i think you'd find it the opposite of the poll done here. You Brits like to dress up ;)

Not all Brits! I would vote Yes but as I am using an iPad, I can't.

This is a great move by Celebrity, surprised as I would have thought Royal Caribbean would have been the first to make the change.

The lifestyles at home have also become way less formal than they once were.

Celebrity is simply changing with the times....

Agree!

Now this will date me.. I used to wear a dress and heals when flying. All the men were wearing suits! Of course, that's when you got a meal with real silverware and glass plates. I recall a lobster dinner on a flight form NY to Florida.

BUT... the fare was probably more than I pay now for the same route.

Yes.. times they are a-changing!

And personally, I'm happy for the change :p