Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

I am having a hard time understanding your comments.

I said we feel "more special" since we do feel special when we walk on to the ship but formal nights also gave us an extra special feel with champagne cocktail receptions, chocolate truffles, a better dinner menu in the MDR.

Unfotunately most of that is gone or will be going away now that formal nights are no more.

On another note for those who say we can still dress up. It's not the same if only a small percentage of the ship is dressed formally while the rest are in jeans.

For people that know how to dress chic, this will be nice. Unfortunatley, imo, not many "chic" people on the ship. Sorry! This leads me to believe that dark dressy jeans with a nice top, heels and jewelry for woman is not going to happen as much as X thinks. Jeans will happen...not sure what it will be put together with though. And as for men, same thing. What is so uncomfortable about putting on a pair of pants and a button down shirt for a man? I just don't get it. We are not eating in a hut on the beach or in your backyard. We are eating in a formal dining room. Not saying put on a tux, but I really do think people and their attire set the tone of the ship. I for one, will still bring some dresses (not gowns) and heels and nice jewelry and pocketbooks bc I feel good dressing up and looking nice. And from the compliments I receive, I think others enjoy seeing people dressed nicely and "put together".

If a restaurant in NYC says attire is Evening Chic, I would be confident people would understand this. On a ship with people from all places, not so much. X is putting faith in passengers and taking a big risk thinking they understand what they should be wearing.

Should be intersting to see in January when some passenegers enter the MDR and even Luminae in their faded Wrangler jeans.

YES I LOVE THE IDEA! Get dressed up if you want to but i'm not bringing a gown and it's easier for the hubs to not bring a suit. Formal nights we always booked specialty restaurants, they are too stuffy and stodgy for me. This isn't HS it's not prom. We are in our mid/late 30's. It specifically states no holes in jeans, no t-shirts. What's wrong with a polo, dark jeans, and loafers or jeans and some a cute top for a woman? I'm all for it!

You just hit the nail on the head "A polo shirt is smart casual" not Chic so all this will do is end up being the same as most nights in MDR smart casual. I am not for or against but would like defined dress evenings if they are going to happen, what worries me is WHO is going to police this as one persons ideas of Chic (like yours) is not the same as next persons (Mine). We shall see - Watch this space.

Why do you book Speciality if "they are too stuffy and stodgy for me".

Edited by snowyboy

For people that know how to dress chic, this will be nice. Unfortunatley, imo, not many "chic" people on the ship. Sorry! This leads me to believe that dark dressy jeans with a nice top, heels and jewelry for woman is not going to happen as much as X thinks. Jeans will happen...not sure what it will be put together with though. And as for men, same thing. What is so uncomfortable about putting on a pair of pants and a button down shirt for a man? I just don't get it. We are not eating in a hut on the beach or in your backyard. We are eating in a formal dining room. Not saying put on a tux, but I really do think people and their attire set the tone of the ship. I for one, will still bring some dresses (not gowns) and heels and nice jewelry and pocketbooks bc I feel good dressing up and looking nice. And from the compliments I receive, I think others enjoy seeing people dressed nicely and "put together".

If a restaurant in NYC says attire is Evening Chic, I would be confident people would understand this. On a ship with people from all places, not so much. X is putting faith in passengers and taking a big risk thinking they understand what they should be wearing.

Should be intersting to see in January when some passenegers enter the MDR and even Luminae in their faded Wrangler jeans.

We just got off the Summit on November 1. Faded Wranglers/Levis/Kirklands were already quite evident in the MDR on non-formal nights. Are these considered "chic?" I don't know. I will allow the the new chic fashion police to argue about what is chic and what is not. That should be interesting. What is chic today is "oh so ten minutes ago" tomorrow.

We are going to be on the Reflection on December 5, the first week of the new dress "suggestions." I let you know what we see.

We just got off the Summit on November 1. Faded Wranglers/Levis/Kirklands were already quite evident in the MDR on non-formal nights. Are these considered "chic?" I don't know. I will allow the the new chic fashion police to argue about what is chic and what is not. That should be interesting. What is chic today is "oh so ten minutes ago" tomorrow.

We are going to be on the Reflection on December 5, the first week of the new dress "suggestions." I let you know what we see.

Can't wait! :)

Take photos! (delete faces, of course)

:cool:To me, the change sucks. Part of the thrill of cruising is getting dressed up on formal night because we don't do that very often in real life. Standards have been lax on RCCL for years, and that was one reason we tried Celeb for out last two cruises. You will see shorts, T-shirts, ball caps soon enough. Why excellerate the change:cool:

Perhaps the poll should be asking, 'who will be wearing jeans to the MDR on Chic nights?'

Jeans or designer jeans?

I walked through the menswear department in John Lewis this lunch time, I did have a chuckle when walking past a pile of Levis jeans wondering how Celebrity would define them and those on offer from other manufacturers... :D

Edited by Mynki

Why excellerate the change:cool:

The polls suggest only about one person in four is against the change, so why not?

Those who don't like the idea of the change can dress as normal or, if they're genuinely that offended, and I doubt very few are in the real world, find another cruise line.

To summarize numerous threads and hundreds of posts:

This has nothing to do with what YOU wear and everything to do with what I wear.

Formal devotees can continue to dress at any level of formality that they choose. Of course there are dozens of posts that say, "well, that is not enough, because Celebrity has removed the "ambiance" of the evening" (meaning everyone dressed like you are). Unless I am forced to dress the way YOU want me to, the world is rapidly coming to an end.

Sorry, but Celebrity has made a corporate decision that they think best benefits the majority of cruisers (and this poll bears it out). I really don't want to pull the card that has been used for years here by the formalists when questioned as to why Celebrity didn't have a more relaxed code....namely, the retort to "find another cruise line that fits your needs."

Have always dressed to the code on our 25+ Celebrity cruises and happily will continue to dress that way i.e., (to the wonderful new code! After all, we should be honoring the wishes of the host);)

Perhaps the poll should be asking, 'who will be wearing jeans to the MDR on Chic nights?'

Hopefully, only those with good bods and with nicely-fitting jeans. And a gorgeous top! I don't think the label on the jeans matter, but the stunning top does. And high heels! (No, not on the guys!)

This is a young look. I don't think you will find many of a certain age wearing it! Unless they live at the gym!!!!

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Yes !!!!! Being farmers, hubby will have to pack his denim overalls and bring along a few sheafs of wheat to stick in his hair ( eye roll )

Umm, are you seriously saying that farmers would even consider dressing like that on a cruise? :confused:

Predicted evolution of formal night:

2016 - evening chic

2017 - evening chic mutates to smart casual

2018 - smart casual is gone as no one follows any guidelines (which are now just "suggested")

2019 - packing my baseball cap, wife beater, and shorts!

Nothing is enforced now, unfortunately. We have seen people let in the MDR with shorts at dinner time and without jackets on formal nights. We've also see some one at the martini bar in a Celebrity bathrobe (which you are not suppose to wear out of the cabin) in the evening before dinner. Nothing was done.

While I personally wouldn't wear a bathrobe outside of my cabin, I'm not aware of any Celebrity policy banning it. :confused:

2016 - evening chic

2018 - smart casual is gone as no one follows any guidelines (which are now just "suggested")

2020 - Waking up in Pennsylvania :D

2016 - evening chic

I told myself I'd avoid these threads, but here I go, lol:)

I literally don't know anyone who dresses in everyday life, let alone on a cruise ship in the manner that is described by some here... & I just can't imagine someone who owns a "wife beater" or "wrangler' jeans (who wears these, & where do they buy them??? It's a mystery, are they from Texas & actually need to wrangle something?) carefully purchasing their airfare to Europe, or Australia, or Dubai, or wherever, buying & planning their cruise, & their pre & post cruise hotels or apartments, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never personally experienced it. I think this is much ado about nothing, there hasn't been formal nights in Blu since late 2011 & people still present themselves quite nicely in there.... including plenty of tuxes, gowns & cocktail dresses if that's what you're into.

Happy Sails:)

I literally don't know anyone who dresses in everyday life, let alone on a cruise ship in the manner that is described by some here... & I just can't imagine someone who owns a "wife beater" or "wrangler' jeans (who wears these, & where do they buy them??? It's a mystery, are they from Texas & actually need to wrangle something?) carefully purchasing their airfare to Europe, or Australia, or Dubai, or wherever, buying & planning their cruise, & their pre & post cruise hotels or apartments, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never personally experienced it. I think this is much ado about nothing, there hasn't been formal nights in Blu since late 2011 & people still present themselves quite nicely in there.... including plenty of tuxes, gowns & cocktail dresses if that's what you're into.

While I don't actually own any, Wranglers are the 2nd most popular brand of jeans on the planet Earth in terms of sales. They fall behind Levis, which are in first place.

http://top101news.com/2015-2016-2017-2018/news/products/best-selling-jeans-brands-world-usa/

As long as everyone is so concerned about luggage weight, the wife beater, or tank top t-shirt will be popular. There are no sleeves or collar to add extra weight. The same holds true for Speedos and flip flops. ;)

Edited by POA1

YES!!!!!!! I Love your post! I do not believe the Celebrity passengers will all of a sudden lose all their style.

While I don't actually own any, Wranglers are the 2nd most popular brand of jeans on the planet Earth in terms of sales. They fall behind Levis, which are in first place.

http://top101news.com/2015-2016-2017-2018/news/products/best-selling-jeans-brands-world-usa/

As long as everyone is so concerned about luggage weight, the wife beater, or tank top t-shirt will be popular. There are no sleeves or collar to add extra weight. The same holds true for Speedos and flip flops. ;)

some of us are deep in our pavlovian response in anticipation.

Vive la frank n furter

You will have to excuse my ignorance but what is a "a wife beater" shirt. I have been a member of Cruise Critic for 8 years and have seen it mentioned quite a few times. I believe it must be an American terminology as I am not aware of it in the UK. I'm pretty sure I don't own one lol! and will continue to wear my Dinner Suit at Evening Chic nights. Too much going on in the World to let myself be bothered if someone is wearing jeans.