Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

This is great news. I love to dress up, and will continue to bring the sort of dresses that I would wear for formal night. My husband hates wearing his dinner jacket and will be delighted to leave it at home. So we are both happy.

I think it will be hard to see a difference apart from the way the menfolk are dressed. There is such a wide variation in what women consider formal wear that I am not anticipating a huge change. Hopefully everyone who wishes to wear formal wear will have the confidence to continue to do so, without needing everyone else to follow suit.

It's a positive step, in my opinion.

Over 900 responses in the poll... I don't recall any CC fun poll ( it's a vacation form and I do love it) that has ever come to this number on Celebrity's share of the board. :D:eek:

Edited by A Sixth?

I just hope "elegant chic" does not descend to "shabby chic" in the next few years.

Sad to say, I think "elegant chic" has already gone "shabby".

Last night on the Summit, they were still designating it as a "Formal" night, with the other planned for Thanksgiving evening.

I was amazed on how informally dressed the majority of the passengers were last night. I saw shorts and t-shirts, sandals and sneakers every where. I first thought we got the evening wrong until our waiter acknowledged our attire and welcomed us to the 1st formal night of the cruise. Felt totally out of place in my suit and tie, and slightly embarrassed to be so dressed up.

It seemed that most didn't care what they were wearing and only opted for what was comfortable for them. It kinda took the fun out of what used to be the centerpiece evenings of the cruise. Will be interesting to see what happens on Thanksgiving. I've already packed up the suit and tie and plan to dress down to what my fellow passengers demonstrated last night.

Sad to say, I think "elegant chic" has already gone "shabby".

Last night on the Summit, they were still designating it as a "Formal" night, with the other planned for Thanksgiving evening.

I was amazed on how informally dressed the majority of the passengers were last night. I saw shorts and t-shirts, sandals and sneakers every where. I first thought we got the evening wrong until our waiter acknowledged our attire and welcomed us to the 1st formal night of the cruise. Felt totally out of place in my suit and tie, and slightly embarrassed to be so dressed up.

It seemed that most didn't care what they were wearing and only opted for what was comfortable for them. It kinda took the fun out of what used to be the centerpiece evenings of the cruise. Will be interesting to see what happens on Thanksgiving. I've already packed up the suit and tie and plan to dress down to what my fellow passengers demonstrated last night.

I hope you post your thoughts after Thanksgiving. I wouldn't feel embarrassed if I was you though. You dressed smartly as is your right to do so. If this is what pax are wearing on a supposed Formal night, then who knows what they will be wearing once Evening Chic kicks in.

Over the years, seeing some peoples idea of "formal" has been disgusting.

Wearing cowboy hats, with plaid shirts does not cut it for me, while the rest of us followed the rules and, did dress in a tux, even cumberbund and, all.

I could never wait to run up to cabin, and, ditch the tux. Once, I ditched the tux, and, went to the theater for a Captains toast, and, I was not allowed inside. Ha...Taught me...but, I was out of that damn tux.

Careerwise, I wore a suit and, tie (uniform) for my 45 year career. I always had to have a tie on. 100 degrees outside, or, in a hot airplane cockpit, but, the rules were there. Ties on.... BUT.. then, I discovered "clip-on black ties". When I retired, I said: NO MORE TIES, OR, SUITS (Tux's). (Even clip-ons.)

As it turned out only on the ships...now, I am retiring them for good....

Only on cruise critic do so many people worry about what other people wear. Times have changed, don't get left behind.

True . But to be fair many people on CC also get uptight about what others dont tip -again not sure how that impinges on their boat trip but it seems to do so.

This new chic malarkey will allow many cruisists a bit of leeway in deciding what to wear. In my case the boss lady is in charge of our dress code so dinner suit will be necessary. If I see anyone in designer jeans my look will be an envious one rather than one of disdain [emoji32]

True . But to be fair many people on CC also get uptight about what others dont tip -again not sure how that impinges on their boat trip but it seems to do so.

Of course those who don't tip affects my cruise. It destroys the income and morale of hard working employees who work around 250 hours a month for $50 plus those tips. If just a few pax stiff the crew, it affects them and by extension us.

How would your demeanor be if you worked hard for someone who decided that they didn't feel your labors were worth any compensation?

Over 15,000 views for a poll.

WOW!:eek::D

And by this poll a landslide good decision by Celebrity. :cool:

And of course there are those who can not vote do to Cruise Critics inability to fix the bug that will not allow an iPad user to cast a vote let alone see the results.

Edited by Oville

And of course there are those who can not vote do to Cruise Critics inability to fix the bug that will not allow an iPad user to cast a vote let alone see the results.

Hi ... Using my iPad now. Just go to cruise critic web page instead of using an app. Google cruise critic and log in with your details. Select community and forums.

This is using the tapatalk app and there is no poll details shown or the option to vote. You need to go to cruise critic web page to do that and log in to community forums you will be asked to log in with your cc name and password. The poll will then allow you to vote just once. If you leave a comment it will show when you next use your app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope you post your thoughts after Thanksgiving. I wouldn't feel embarrassed if I was you though. You dressed smartly as is your right to do so. If this is what pax are wearing on a supposed Formal night, then who knows what they will be wearing once Evening Chic kicks in.

This is exactly what concerns those amongst us who do make an effort and treat our cruise as an opportunity to look good and dress well . Will this just become a free for all where no-one gives a toss about dress codes ? Clearly some already do . We are after all on a multi million dollar so called 4/5 star ' modern luxury ' cruise ship - apparently . Just how difficult is it to ditch the jeans , trainers , baseball caps and t- shirts for a couple of nights out of 14 ?

Clearly many now just see a cruise vacation as no different than say a bucket and spade week in Benidorm or a trailer holiday .

And I have read some comments that amaze me . Do people really book an Aqua cabin and pay hundreds of dollars extra just to avoid wearing a jacket ? Is wearing a collar and tie a form of medieval torture ?

I have no problem with evening chic or whatever fancy name is given to this new dress code as long as individuals do not totally spoil things and dress like slobs - all the time . And before anyone says it I do accept that I have no right to tell you how to dress on your ' vacation ' and I am not doing so .... the choice is yours !

Meanwhile my dress suit is neatly pressed along with my silk union jack bow tie in readiness for our cruise to the Baltic on the Eclipse next year . And the other 8 people in our party will similarly still adhere to the old formal code on the 2/3 appropriate nights .We will keep the faith ...

Obviously time will tell how this pans out and there are far more important things going on in the world at the moment than Celebrity dress codes .

I've only been on 6 celebrity cruises and all over the last 3 years so can only speak for this period of time...

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone in the main dining room or speciality restaurants to that matter in shorts/t-shirts/flip flops/trainers/scruffy jeans etc etc, I have noticed a decline in the amount of tuxes over that short period but still everyone to me seems to have not only made an effort but also looks nice & smart for dinner... Most of all generally everyone looks like they are having a great time [emoji4]

And I'm sure with the new code this will still be the same,

I'm also sure on cruises out of uk waters there will still be a higher number of formal dress Vs non uk water cruises as it does seem to be a thing a lot of uk cruisers want and is still very popular on uk lines...

[quote name=MR_T;48360013

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone in the main dining room or speciality restaurants to that matter in shorts/t-shirts/flip flops/trainers/scruffy jeans etc etc' date=' I have noticed a decline in the amount of tuxes over that short period but still everyone to me seems to have not only made an effort but also looks nice & smart for dinner... Most of all generally everyone looks like they are having a great time [emoji4]

And I'm sure with the new code this will still be the same,

Reflection's cruise 11/14. We were in Select at the balcony looking down and saw a couple of people in shorts on Formal night. One couple did sit down for only a few minutes and then left .... they did not return. Perhaps they felt out of place and went elsewhere. But they were let in and Formal was still the "official" dress code.

This is using the tapatalk app and there is no poll details shown or the option to vote. You need to go to cruise critic web page to do that and log in to community forums you will be asked to log in with your cc name and password. The poll will then allow you to vote just once. If you leave a comment it will show when you next use your app.

Are you able to change pages at the top on your IPad using this method?

Thanks.

This is exactly what concerns those amongst us who do make an effort and treat our cruise as an opportunity to look good and dress well . Will this just become a free for all where no-one gives a toss about dress codes ? Clearly some already do . We are after all on a multi million dollar so called 4/5 star ' modern luxury ' cruise ship - apparently . Just how difficult is it to ditch the jeans , trainers , baseball caps and t- shirts for a couple of nights out of 14 ?

Clearly many now just see a cruise vacation as no different than say a bucket and spade week in Benidorm or a trailer holiday .

And I have read some comments that amaze me . Do people really book an Aqua cabin and pay hundreds of dollars extra just to avoid wearing a jacket ? Is wearing a collar and tie a form of medieval torture ?

I have no problem with evening chic or whatever fancy name is given to this new dress code as long as individuals do not totally spoil things and dress like slobs - all the time . And before anyone says it I do accept that I have no right to tell you how to dress on your ' vacation ' and I am not doing so .... the choice is yours !

Meanwhile my dress suit is neatly pressed along with my silk union jack bow tie in readiness for our cruise to the Baltic on the Eclipse next year . And the other 8 people in our party will similarly still adhere to the old formal code on the 2/3 appropriate nights .We will keep the faith ...

Obviously time will tell how this pans out and there are far more important things going on in the world at the moment than Celebrity dress codes .

There are two distinctly different sets of values involved in this discussion. Those who like formal nights firmly believe the benefits of dressing up far outweigh the costs of doing so. Those who do not enjoy formal nights firmly believe the opposite on both counts. There is little reason to try to convince the other that they are wrong. Neither side will change their beliefs. Those on both sides, should understand and accept that others feel differently and it is useless to try to change that.

I'm happy that the cruise lines are going to a formal optional dress code. I believe that will allow those who like to dress up to do so. It will also allow those who do not wish to dress up to also enjoy the MDR. I do urge those who enjoy dressing up to go ahead. There is no reason for being embarrassed for being the best dressed at a table. Nor, is there any reason to be upset if someone joins you that has a different perspective.

Are you able to change pages at the top on your IPad using this method?

Thanks.

When you log into CC web site using the iPad the screen is exactly the same as the PC. Using tapatalk app you can go to any page of the discussion but you just see the posts not the overall page.

There are two distinctly different sets of values involved in this discussion. Those who like formal nights firmly believe the benefits of dressing up far outweigh the costs of doing so. Those who do not enjoy formal nights firmly believe the opposite on both counts. There is little reason to try to convince the other that they are wrong. Neither side will change their beliefs. Those on both sides, should understand and accept that others feel differently and it is useless to try to change that.

I'm happy that the cruise lines are going to a formal optional dress code. I believe that will allow those who like to dress up to do so. It will also allow those who do not wish to dress up to also enjoy the MDR. I do urge those who enjoy dressing up to go ahead. There is no reason for being embarrassed for being the best dressed at a table. Nor, is there any reason to be upset if someone joins you that has a different perspective.

Please accept my applause for your good common sense :)

What I cannot understand, is the view that the way someone dresses to dine on vacation (provided they respect the 'smart casual' that is requested in the dining rooms), affects the enjoyment of others! A total mystery to me.

When you log into CC web site using the iPad the screen is exactly the same as the PC. Using tapatalk app you can go to any page of the discussion but you just see the posts not the overall page.

And you can turn off the stickies in Tapatalk. :D

I could not vote using any of 3 iPads, none of which use an app to access Cruise Critic. I can vote using my iMac pro.

I also cannot change the page at the top using any of our iPads. The links are there, as are the options to vote & view poll results, but they do not work, and have not for many months.

Edited by richsea
added page change comment

The fault for seeing people dressed inappropriately in the dining rooms is squarely on Celebrity for letting them get away with it. If they simply policed it, then people would learn in short order what is allowed. This new code should give them the ammo they need to turn people away. It remains to be seen if they do it.

And my observation has been that it's only a tiny percentage who either completely ignore or are oblivious to the requested dress. We're not talking about hundreds of people in tank tops and flip flops surrounding one person in a tuxedo.

Edited by bEwAbG

Please accept my applause for your good common sense :)

What I cannot understand, is the view that the way someone dresses to dine on vacation (provided they respect the 'smart casual' that is requested in the dining rooms), affects the enjoyment of others! A total mystery to me.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain that to you.

I'm also sure on cruises out of uk waters there will still be a higher number of formal dress Vs non uk water cruises as it does seem to be a thing a lot of uk cruisers want and is still very popular on uk lines...

Cant beat the Brits [emoji41]. Long live Queen Victoria [emoji33]

Mind you we did invent the Dinner Suit so why not flaunt it [emoji33]

Edited by LA_Design