What to take off ship

puppypal7

You can't get off the ship without your ship's card.....and you should ALWAYS have ID...bring you DL....

Then, take what you need for what you're doing! If you're shopping, bring money! If you're swimming, bring towels!....just bring what you need. No need to carry more than necessary!

We usually do water excursions so we do S&S, credit card, cash, sunscreen, driver's license, camera (underwater and/or cell phone), towels and for DW, a change of clothes since she hates being in a wet bathing suit.

All in one backpack!

Edited by JennN

The whether to bring your passport question is much debated here. It depends on which you think the greater risk is: Missing the ship and needing the passport to fly home, or getting pickpocketed/mugged while on the island and having the passport stolen.

Yep, a matter of tradeoffs.

FWIW, I have color scans of our passports sitting on the cloud, accssible from anywhere, when we travel abroad. (I don't leave them there full time, just put them there when travelling). It can't hurt and it certainly could help.

http://www.oncallinternational.com/blog/keep-your-cool-what-to-do-if-your-passport-is-lost-or-stolen-while-traveling/

All the above and a camera. I take a thermos of water. At the end of the port stay I empty the water and buy a bottle of liquor and put it in the thermos.

Great, another Carnival smuggling suggestion. Guess what will happen soon, all bottles will need to be empty before boarding......But I think it's a great idea that you openly state this.

The whether to bring your passport question is much debated here. It depends on which you think the greater risk is: Missing the ship and needing the passport to fly home, or getting pickpocketed/mugged while on the island and having the passport stolen.

Love this! First sane explanation of the debate I've seen.

We waterproofed 2 heavy duty string packs & love them.

Usually 1 is plenty for 2 of us.

We bring our DL, passports, sign & sail card, the fun times bit with info about who to call for help in an emergency, etc... money, a hat, sunscreen & sunglasses, lip balm, a camera, cell phone & 2-3 bottles of water in insulated sleeves.

The water is more of an in case thing, we will buy ice cold water when available.

Anything else added is excursion specific.

Great, another Carnival smuggling suggestion. Guess what will happen soon, all bottles will need to be empty before boarding......But I think it's a great idea that you openly state this.

No worries...they are already only allowing unopened cans and sealed Carnival water bottles back onboard. Everything else has to be emptied out or dumped.

We make printed copies of the " info" page of our passports and take those copies with us when we get off the ship. It is all the info a consulate or embassy would need and it folds up really small so I can keep it in a tiny pouch I tuck inside my bra. Some money and the Sail and Sign cards fit too. No one will pickpocket that without me knowing about it! :D

Edited by Momis2

One reason people loose their passports and get them stolen, is because they use them so infrequently. I have mine with me ALL the time, in my bag. The people who think their "copies" are any help are misguided. They are worthless for you getting anywhere without having to go to Embassys. Yeah "put them in the safe", do you do that at home?

It's a valuable document- that I frequently use, FAR more valuable, when I need to show ID, NO address, is worth it's weight in gold in a lot of cases.

One reason people loose their passports and get them stolen, is because they use them so infrequently. I have mine with me ALL the time, in my bag. The people who think their "copies" are any help are misguided. They are worthless for you getting anywhere without having to go to Embassys. Yeah "put them in the safe", do you do that at home?

It's a valuable document- that I frequently use, FAR more valuable, when I need to show ID, NO address, is worth it's weight in gold in a lot of cases.

And that is the problem: "worth its weight in gold." Actually it's worth even more, which is why it is a primary target of pickpockets and scammers all over. No savvy traveler would ever carry a passport off a ship (unless required by a govt. authority). In fact, most premium and luxury lines, who generally require ALL passengers on ALL itineraries to carry a passport also require their surrender at embarkation (for all of the obvious reasons).

• 2 weeks later...
No savvy traveler would ever carry a passport off a ship (unless required by a govt. authority).

No disrespect meant. . . I know we all are entitled to our opinions, here is mine: First of all, I consider myself a VERY savvy traveller. In fact, I have travelled the world for both business and pleasure (mostly pleasure). I have flown around the globe several times over and set foot on every continent except Antartica. I mention this history not to brag, but to illustrate that I have a ton of experience travelling in other countries. I ALWAYS have my passport WITH ME when I am out of the country. Period. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. "Savvy [international] travellers" know that if you get stopped by local athorities for ANY reason, they will want to see an origianl document ... they will laugh if you try to present them with "a copy."

Of course you have to be careful with the document, and it IS vaulable - I typically wear these cool convertible travel pants from a company called "Scottevest" that have deep "pickpocket proof" pockets - I also have a convertible travel vest/jacket that has pickpocket proof pockets and RFID blocking pockets - I highly recomment these clothes, as they make travelling much easier not having to worry about losing things.

Just my two cents.

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

We are going to the csrribean and I wondered what everyone takes off ship to ports..as card towels blah blah

The two things that everyone over the age of 16 needs to take off teh ship are your ship card and a photo ID. Other items will depend on what you have planned, just like you were at a land based resort.

RecoveryDude;48372542]No disrespect meant. . . I know we all are entitled to our opinions, here is mine: First of all, I consider myself a VERY savvy traveller. In fact, I have travelled the world for both business and pleasure (mostly pleasure). I have flown around the globe several times over and set foot on every continent except Antartica. I mention this history not to brag, but to illustrate that I have a ton of experience travelling in other countries. I ALWAYS have my passport WITH ME when I am out of the country. Period. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. "Savvy [international] travellers" know that if you get stopped by local athorities for ANY reason, they will want to see an origianl document ... they will laugh if you try to present them with "a copy."

Of course you have to be careful with the document, and it IS vaulable - I typically wear these cool convertible travel pants from a company called "Scottevest" that have deep "pickpocket proof" pockets - I also have a convertible travel vest/jacket that has pickpocket proof pockets and RFID blocking pockets - I highly recomment these clothes, as they make travelling much easier not having to worry about losing things.

Just my two cents.

Jeff aka Recovery D

In the '70's we lived in Tehran, then were transferred to Malta. My company did not have an office in Malta, the American embassy allowed me to use their office equipment in order to send in my reports. No internet then:eek: just needed to use phone and maybe fax? not sure if that was then or later jobs. Our passports were very sought after in Tehran, and could be sold for about 10K which was a lot of money back then. We were transferred due to it being no longer safe for the families of oil employees to live in Tehran and the men could live anywhere as just flew to work on a rotation basis. I was maybe only the only working wife. No notice was given for the move and a lot of people got "caught" without passports. I observed all the red tape they went through to get a replacement. Thought it could not have been worth the 10K. Wouldn't you know it I lost my passport about 2 weeks before I needed to renew my visa. NO, I did not sell it, but was really dicey time proving that. No RFID then. When I got my replacement back, I sewed hidden pockets in all my clothes and carried it around 24/7. It IS a big deal not to have your passport handy in foreign countries and copies are a joke. And that little card they give you now only verifies you HAVE a passport. It sure won't get you on a plane if you have medical issues when you are in a port and need to fly home. I travel a lot now and use the more modern ways to conceal my passport but I definitely carry it with me. I will google the pants you mentioned as my husband almost gives me a heart attack with his cavalier way he carries his wallet. So, thanks for sharing your two cents.:)