Pants Required?

Quick question: Packing for Escape on Saturday ... what dining venues require pants? I only recall Le Bistro on the Getaway. Does the same hold true with the Escape? Thanks!

Er, um, if you don't want to wear pants while you dine, perhaps you should dine in your own cabin...?

:D

GeezerCouple

Quick question: Packing for Escape on Saturday ... what dining venues require pants? I only recall Le Bistro on the Getaway. Does the same hold true with the Escape? Thanks!

I believe the main dining room does not allow shorts for dinner either.

I'm all good with casual, but unless you lost your luggage, shorts at dinner in the MDR is for amateurs.

I object to the above comment!! Since I started wearing shorts in late 1969 when we moved to New Zealand I have worn longs on less that 50 occasions.

I do carry a suit, bought for the weddings of two daughters 6 years ago, and used it on our last cruise for two visits to restaurants that required it. The third daughter, married two years later, said "You are not to wear a suit for my wedding; my father does not wear a suit!!".

I wear the following; dress shorts made from the same material as my suit; a white shirt and tie; Scottish dress long hose and black leather shoes. I am smarter dressed than a large number of people who eat in the MDR.

Mike

GeezerCouple, really was that necessary. I think that was a perfectly logical question.

It may help if you realize that in some parts of the English-speaking world, "pants" = "underpants."

:D

And in American English--at least my corner of America--"pants" is the generic term for all types of men's cinched-around-the-waist lower-hemisphere garments, whether shorts or slacks (while "slacks" = "trousers" in much of the rest of the English-speaking world). So truly the most logical interpretation of the question "Pants Required?" is, "Is it permissible to go bottomless?" :D

Edited by fishywood

I just simply wear my Kilt and be done with it.

The maître-d of the Le Bistro on the NCL STAR brought my table a bottle of

wine - he was so impressed.

On cruises to Bermuda I have heard (read) that Bermuda Shorts are OK in all

restaurants - wouldn't want to offend anyone there - comments from those

that have cruised Bermuda ? Truth or Fiction or something out of the triangle ?

I just simply wear my Kilt and be done with it.

The maître-d of the Le Bistro on the NCL STAR brought my table a bottle of

wine - he was so impressed.

On cruises to Bermuda I have heard (read) that Bermuda Shorts are OK in all

restaurants - wouldn't want to offend anyone there - comments from those

that have cruised Bermuda ? Truth or Fiction or something out of the triangle ?

Yes, it is true as long as the shorts are paired with knee socks and a blazer. On our Bermuda cruise, I saw zero men on the ship who wore this ensemble. I did see many Bermudian bankers and businessmen walking around on the streets in Hamilton in this attire.

Incorrect.

Shorts are allowed in all dining rooms (including the aft Manhattan Room) except for Le Bistro and Bayamos.

When did I miss the change in dress code for the aft MDR to allow shorts? Now they are only banned in Le Bistro and Bayamo? This appears to come from the Freestyle Daily, wonder if the NCL website has changed. Very confusing.

Oddly enough, yesterday I saw a link from a well known TA here ( as sent to one of their NCL booked customers ) for information on Norwegian. There were some really off the wall statements like no shorts or jeans after 6:00 pm ( listed for MDRs and all specialties ) and LOL even the buffet! Also reservations REQUIRED for all specialties. It crossed my mind that perhaps NCL has a big change up their sleeves for dining. Either that or the TA got some really bad info. But I wouldn't want to start any more rumors;).

When did I miss the change in dress code for the aft MDR to allow shorts? Now they are only banned in Le Bistro and Bayamo? This appears to come from the Freestyle Daily, wonder if the NCL website has changed.

Don't know what the dress code on the TA was, but for this 3 day inaugural, the dress code is relaxed. The 3 day Sky cruises have a shorts everywhere policy.