Will I need Mexican money

yukoner and lady

Hi:

My husband and I are sailing on the Norwegian Jewel to Mexico over Christmas. Being Canadian, I will get some American money, but I wasn't sure if I would need Mexican money or if that is necessary. We are taking a couple of tours, and if we do shop, it would likely be in pretty touristy places.

I'd love to get some advice on this so I am not left having to convert money back to Canadian when we come home.

Thanks a bunch

You will not need money from Mexico.

We use USA dollars where cash is required or just makes sense (small purchases) and a credit card if at a store, restaurant, etc. For tips for tours through the ship we use USA currency.

We've never gotten Pesos on any of our visits to Mexico on cruises and have been fine.

Keith

Thanks for that. I was hoping that this was the case, because it makes everything more simple.

Now if there was just a way to make December 20 come faster. LOL

Do you have an sissors? Cut off the last two weeks of your November calendar. That will save you seven days. :D

Two MR cruises and we didn't bother to get pesos. Have ones, fives, tens in currency as suggested so you won't get a lot of change in the local currency (store owners will often try to give you pesos in change). One time, in our last port, hubby left the pesos as part of a tip when he bought a drink in a bar just to get rid of them.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so we have lived in Puerto Vallarta for the past 10 winters bus still have no clue to currency! But you do have to make some decisions based on your own spending patterns. Yes, the US Dollar is widely accepted in your ports. Sometimes a restaurant or shop will give you a half decent exchange rate and other times you will get badly screwed. So if you want to use US Dollars, do check on the current exchange rate (currently about 18 to 1) against the US dollar. The Loonie is not as good currently giving a little better than 12 to one (against the Peso). But none of this really matters as you need to check the currency rates at the time of your cruise (we suggest using XE.com).

As to what you need, you should ask your tour provider what they accept. Regarding personal shopping, you will always do best using Mexican Pesos. Just about everyone will also accept US Dollars...although some will give you a lousy exchange rate. As to Canadian Dollars, most places will accept the Loonie, and many others will not! But your exchange rate will usually be lousy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We usually use our credit card for purchases except small purchases. Anything substantial goes on the credit card. Buying at the small vendors on the street is where we use cash. We pay in U.S. dollars and we carry small bills. I still have a few pesos from our last visit.

We always use USD and get some Peso's back as change. The wife will give the change to some street person just before we board the ship to avoid bringing it home.

And, do not forget to negotiate the price with the shop owner. That's part of the fun of shopping.

Bob