what are some must try foods on the Ruby?

maui07

My mom and i just booked a last minute cruise on the Ruby in January and we haven't sailed Princess in years. Please tell me your favorite must haves as far as food is concerned. ha! I remember them having really good pizza, is it still the same NY style they used to have? Looking forward to reading your replies. Thanks in advance.

All of the food on the Ruby was delicious when I was on the ship in April, 2015. I personally enjoyed the burger, hot dog, bratwurst and fries at the outdoor grill. No matter where we ate or what we ate on the ship, we thought the food was wonderful.

I agree with above posts that the Fettuccini Alfredo and the cheesecake in the MDR are both excellent! I will add that the cronuts in the IC are quite good, but get them early in the AM as they often run out. I also like the chocolate layer cake served only by room service--I have never seen it anywhere else onboard a Princess ship. Very rich and very tasty!

And yes, they still serve a very good NY-style (thin crust) pizza onboard!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

Goat cheese souffle

Fontina Crepes

Pumpkin Rollatini (?) THIS!!! :-)

Norman Love Desserts, especially the raspberry one!

Pumpkin Rollitini or whatever it is called -vegetarian entree one night -absolutely amazing. A must try. It's small, I had as a side, should have had as my main. Delicious! The tempura vegetable entree is awesome too. Again, the vegetarian option, and I had it as a side to a fish course, it was delicious! Could have ate two of them -all veggies! Don't discount those vegetarian options if yore a meat eater, some of them are the best thing on the menu!

Creme Brule.

Grand Marnier soufflé.

Ham and cheese croissant at International Cafe

Enjoy!

Edited by reedprincess

Does Princess still serve the parmesan cheese basket? We LOOOOOOVED it on our last Princess cruise. Makes a good appetizer, too.

Yes they do, although it tends towards a little bit tougher and chewy. Still there though, for the full size fettuccine alfredo. Usually not given for the appetizer portion. Ask for it though.

I order the creme brulee quite often for desert.

Try the escargot - even if you have never had it before. Our last two cruises we were the only people who ordered the escargot at dinner. We were blown away that people didn't even want to try it. The whole "ewwwwwwww.... SNAILS......." thing was a bit weird. Give it a try. If you don't like it then don't eat it but don't eschew it without a try. It's pretty darn good stuff! We always have it when we sail.

I order the creme brulee quite often for desert.

Try the escargot - even if you have never had it before. Our last two cruises we were the only people who ordered the escargot at dinner. We were blown away that people didn't even want to try it. The whole "ewwwwwwww.... SNAILS......." thing was a bit weird. Give it a try. If you don't like it then don't eat it but don't eschew it without a try. It's pretty darn good stuff! We always have it when we sail.

I would try it if I could get past the idea of eating something that I enjoy stepping on. When I look down at the poor squished snail, all I can see is a gooey mess.

I'm looking forward to the Alfredo in the Parmesan basket, and I'm looking forward to some eggplant dishes as well.

I would try it if I could get past the idea of eating something that I enjoy stepping on. When I look down at the poor squished snail, all I can see is a gooey mess.

I'm looking forward to the Alfredo in the Parmesan basket, and I'm looking forward to some eggplant dishes as well.

After trying them you may stop stepping on them:)

I haven't found escargot on my last few cruises, I wonder it they just don't serve them in AT dining??

Edited by bigchid

Yes they do, although it tends towards a little bit tougher and chewy. Still there though, for the full size fettuccine alfredo. Usually not given for the appetizer portion. Ask for it though.

Last time we were on the Ruby, we did get the cheese basket with the appetizer portion, and we did ask for it.

Last time we were on the Ruby, we did get the cheese basket with the appetizer portion, and we did ask for it.

Same here. We always ask for an appetizer portion. It comes without the cheese basket when getting the appetizer portion.

LuLu

Oh yum! these things sound delish! I do remember the goat cheese dish being very good, Do they ever serve beef wellington or prime rib? or is that a thing of the past? Can you ask for the fettucini dish as an entree with say a chicken breast on top? And what is this cheese basket you speak of? Gosh, I shouldn't have read this thread before dinner. Thanks everyone. Is there anywhere I can look for the menus online?

If you are into steaks, check out the Crown Grill. Extra charge for the specialty restaurants, yet for about $25, you will have the equivalent to a $80-100 high end steak house meal. Excellent choice of meats, great service. They also have lobster tails for those in your group who are not meat eaters.

You can also check out the other specialty restaurant, Sabatini's. Many great choices there. The lobster 3 ways is very good. Artichoke souffle is excellent.

Both restaurants cook up your order right there in their own kitchens and the service is excellent.