Labadee: No tip, no chairs

Interesting. We didn't have to tip last time we were there two/three years ago. We'll see when we are there in two weeks if that changes.

Actually, when I was at Labadee for the first time just this past May, I got to the beach and, when the gentleman (a native) offered to get me a chair, I (truthfully) said "thank you, but I left all my cash on the ship. We can get it ourselves, but thanks again." His reply: "oh, no, no - I'll do it for you; this is my job."

It was very much appreciated, and, had I had money, I would've tipped- but his response indicated that the tip is not necessarily expected and, in any event, was definitely not a condition to him placing a chair for me.

M

I was in Haiti earlier this year on a missions trip. These people are desperate and poor-their ways are NOT our ways and we are on their turf so we need to be very flexable. Royal has been a great influence in the area. The poster who stated that Royal turns a blind eye is probably right.

Edited by harry0

I was a bit mortified, to tell you the truth. I wouldn't complain to RCI, though, as this guy has it much worse off than I do. I certainly would not want to be responsible for him losing his job, but on the other hand, does Royal Caribbean really want guys like this representing their brand?

No offense, Jacqueline, but this is an example of political correctness gone crazy.

This guy needed to be reported and if he loses his job... SO BE IT. Just because he has it worse than us, does not excuse poor behavior. An example needs to be set and that guy is just making it ok to alow a lower standard to be set.

Edited by Submariner

Interesting. We didn't have to tip last time we were there two/three years ago. We'll see when we are there in two weeks if that changes.

No one says you "have" to tip, but a couple of dollars does not affect my life style at all. A couple of dollars means A LOT to their lives.

I also have a friend that does mission work and the devastation to the Haitian people, is so sad.

No offense, Jacqueline, but this is an example of political correctness gone crazy.

This guy needed to be reported and if he loses his job... SO BE IT. Just because he has it worse than us, does not excuse poor behavior. An example needs to be set and that guy is just making it ok to alow a lower standard to be set.

I agree, there are probably 10 other polite people waiting for a job like his. He is taking advantage. I found the same issue when I went to rent a snorkel and mask for my kids. They went over with their sea passes thinking that was how one rented the equipment. The man was extremely rude to them (they were 17 and 14 at the time) my daughter was almost in tears. I took some cash over to see what was up, he wanted $70 per person to rent the equipment for an hour. I told him I thought that was a little high, he was really rude and walked away with the equipment, put it away and sat down with his friend. I feel like over the years, this behavior has become more and more frequent. I consider myself a good tipper and feel pretty in tune to the cultural differences when travelling. I used to feel that I would pay whatever they wanted because they have so little and its still usually less than we would pay at home, but there is no excuse for rudeness. That I won't accept or pay for.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I was in Haiti earlier this year on a missions trip. These people are desperate and poor-their ways are NOT our ways and we are on their turf so we need to be very flexable. Royal has been a great influence in the area. The poster who stated that Royal turns a blind eye is probably right.

Thanks for the reminder. I was a bit turned off because while nobody was rude to us on Barefoot Beach they were not friendly at all. I would say hello, nod, or smile and nothing. We tipped $10 just for him leading us to chairs that we already set up. He did give us some mats for no charge, so that was nice. I guess I did not understand why they were so quiet.

Tipping after they set up the chairs has been the tradition since the first time I went to Labadee, about twenty years ago. But you don't have to tip them. Its just a tradition. Passengers probably started it. I don't mind tipping them. I think that many passengers don't take cash with them, because they don't know. The chairs still get set out for them. The locals know they are not going to get a dollar from everyone. They will probably have a disappointed look if they don't get that dollar but that's the breaks because everyone does not know to bring some cash.

When in the Labadee compound you are on RCI's turf. They make the rules.

I would have tipped a few bucks, sure. That's why I was upfront and told him straight off that I didn't have the cash on me.

Maybe with the addition of " My husband has the cash and will be here in a few minutes"

Everyone knows they are working for tips. Well maybe not everyone. I think you may have stunned him too with your comment.

I think I might have just let him get the chairs and then told him that a nice tip would be here in a few minutes when my husband arrives.

I do not think I would report it either. Not sure what policy is but if I were running Royal Caribbean, I would be doing a 'mystery shopper' type check on each sailing, just to make sure standards, whatever they are, are being adhered to.

Your issue though is the first I have ever read about, thus hope it was isolated. Hope your day at the beach was great!

I have to say that I do agree with you. People here are looking at it from the point of view that these poor people need their jobs and I am sure they do. Americans really are a very sympathetic and empathetic people even though the rest of the world tends to overlook that quality in us. However, those employees should also be looking at it from the point of view that they need their jobs and act accordingly. And as you said, if they don't want to act accordingly then "SO BE IT."

Labadee, and the private stops, really are an extension of the ships. Why would behavior be tolerated by compound employees that would never be tolerated by an on board employee?

Am I missing something? Am I the only one that remembers that RCI at one time posed a notice (I Cant remember where) that Labadee Staff were employees of RCI and no tipping was necessary.

Really? I knew the bartenders and food servers were, but had no idea about this. Very interesting. If true, then I will have to renege my prior statement, as they should be trained and meet to a certain degree of politeness. I viewed the Haitian people as "not knowing any better" and was therefore making excuses for them. Mmmmmm.

I have NO IDEA what that means:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: A person who MAYBE makes 5% of your wage, and you somehow make this about "political correctness"?????? Truly ignorant and irrelevant. Nice that you can sit in your comfy home and pass judgement on people who you will never be able to identify with.

Am I missing something? Am I the only one that remembers that RCI at one time posed a notice (I Cant remember where) that Labadee Staff were employees of RCI and no tipping was necessary.

I don't recall ever seeing those signs but I'm not much interested in any sign that doesn't include 'Beach -->' in it. :o

Really? I knew the bartenders and food servers were, but had no idea about this. Very interesting. If true, then I will have to renege my prior statement, as they should be trained and meet to a certain degree of politeness. I viewed the Haitian people as "not knowing any better" and was therefore making excuses for them. Mmmmmm.
Look at the bottom of the map under "Lounge Chairs" labadeelinkmap.jpg

It was always printed on the map and I remember reading it elsewhere. We tip, but not because we are strong armed into it.

Sorry, but he was out of line and I probably would have said something. They are paid a wage and a very good one for where they are working from what I've heard. From everything I've ever read it's a very competitive process to get a job there.

Edited by BND

I gotta agree with Bouhunter. How is this "an example of political correctness gone crazy?" So some guy was rude. Gee.... that certainly wouldn't happen in a "non-Politically Correct" society? And would you really spend more than about 2 seconds thinking about this? And why would someone go through a massive effort to get some guy who makes his living $1 at a time setting up chairs fired? Do what the OP did. Ignore it and just ask if this is typical. The answer is no, at least in my experience, it isn't.

Wait, the chairs and umbrellas aren't set out and waiting for you?? Wow.

(My Caribbean/Bahamas experience is with Disney where Castaway Cay is flawlessly set with two chairs and two loungers per umbrella already set up nicely for you when you disembark. That's why it's shocking to me that they're not already done on the cruiseline's private island/beach area.)

#1 you not comparing apples to oranges. Castaway Cay is a private Bahaman island. To compare properly, you would mention RCCL's own Bahaman island CoCo Cay at which the chairs/umbrellas are set out and waiting just as Disney does it. Just saying.

#2 Labadee is part of Haiti, and has a large populace that RCCL helps subsidize by letting them do the loungers.

#1 you not comparing apples to oranges. Castaway Cay is a private Bahaman island. To compare properly, you would mention RCCL's own Bahaman island CoCo Cay at which the chairs/umbrellas are set out and waiting just as Disney does it. Just saying.

#2 Labadee is part of Haiti, and has a large populace that RCCL helps subsidize by letting them do the loungers.

Now I am totally confused.:confused: Sooooo they "don't" work for RCCL? They are Haitians? Not that it matters to me, I was just surprised that FLACRUISER99 said they were RCCL employees. I always thought they were Islanders. Have been there 3 times and going there again next year on the Anthem. Love it there.

The first time we were on Labadee, several years ago, there were lounges set up, no one directed us to lounges, and we didn't see anyone to tip. This was right away in the morning, so it wasn't as if they'd been set up for others before we got there.

This last time on Labadee, more recently, we were also off the ship early and the lounges were all stacked up with several local people waiting around to get you set up, and clearly tips were expected (and we did tip). There were also locals hanging around the restrooms ostensibly cleaning and restocking who looked to be expecting tips. A thread from a few months ago even reported odd behavior where the poster was watched by an attendant at the urinal who seemed to be looking for a tip, and became uncomfortable and left the restroom.

As for the original poster, I think she should have said nothing about not having tip money with her, and once her lounges were set up, she should have asked the person to come back for his tip once her husband was there.