luggage tags

trevpeg5359

just wondering if we should attach luggage tags (that we printed off computer)before we leave home from Canada, like princess suggests or wait till we are leaving from hotel just prior to cruise... any thoughts

We never used to but for the past year or 2 we have put them on when we leave home in case the luggage gets left behind/put on the wrong flight etc.

We attach ours in the morning before we cruise. We use clear plastic holders that are specifically made for cruise tags. They are available at our local AAA and cost about $4 for a set of two. I love them!

Edited by TracieABD

What is the best any to attach these.? ...being paper and all?

We made several extra copies of each of our luggage tags, then sort of home laminated them, using clear plastic packaging tape, hole-punched them using an office paper punch. We then packaged them with our cruise documentation and paperwork, along with enough smallish nylon tie-wraps, and then attached them to all our luggage, including carry-on, checked and any miscellaneous items (ie. CPAP, etc) at hotel on embarkation morning.

...VTX-Al

We made several extra copies of each of our luggage tags, then sort of home laminated them, using clear plastic packaging tape, hole-punched them using an office paper punch. We then packaged them with our cruise documentation and paperwork, along with enough smallish nylon tie-wraps, and then attached them to all our luggage, including carry-on, checked and any miscellaneous items (ie. CPAP, etc) at hotel on embarkation morning.

...VTX-Al

Me too. I don't see any reason to spend a lot of money on luggage tag holders. That packing tape is as strong if not stronger. It's a very good idea to also use the cruise line luggage tags on your carry on bags....amazes me how many folks I see not doing that....and then seeing bags on the lido deck that evening looking forlorn and lonely......:rolleyes:

Edited by PaperSniper4

At the airport near my home I've had them refuse to accept luggage with cruise tags in clear holders on it because it might be confusing. I don't think they look anything like the airline routing tags, but I don't even try anymore.

If I'm worried, I tuck a copy in a covered/closed luggage tag holder with my cell phone number written on it (which is all I ever put on my luggage tags anyway.

I tuck a copy of my itinerary inside the luggage, and attach the cruise tags when we are leaving for the pier. I also use the clear plastic holders with the metal loops.

We attach them at the hotel the morning we head out to the ship (don't want any additional tags confusing the luggage handler at the airport).

Funny you should say that, but true. On our August Disney cruise, I attached the tags before leaving home. At the luggage carousel, I got one piece but not the second. I found out later that the luggage handler saw the tag, knew there was a Disney ship leaving that day ( ours left the next day), and sent it to the ship. Fortunately, they must have discovered their error, because it was returned as we waited at the airport for our shuttle. My son in law took a walk to see if it was returned and THERE IT WAS! I will never put tags on before flying again!

just wondering if we should attach luggage tags (that we printed off computer)before we leave home from Canada, like princess suggests or wait till we are leaving from hotel just prior to cruise... any thoughts

Go ahead and put them on your bags before you get on the plane if you'd like. If they get torn off, the longshoremen clerks will be able to put new tags on your bags for you if they get torn off or damaged. They will have a ship's roster and can look up your room even if you've lost or misplaced your eBoarding pass.

Tom

Only a tiny bit off topic but you should also make copies of the inside page of your passport and put it in any bag that you might be taking off ship with you while in port. I prefer keeping my passport in the safe but I will have all the information needed if, for some reason, I cannot get back to the ship.

Funny you should say that, but true. On our August Disney cruise, I attached the tags before leaving home. At the luggage carousel, I got one piece but not the second. I found out later that the luggage handler saw the tag, knew there was a Disney ship leaving that day ( ours left the next day), and sent it to the ship. Fortunately, they must have discovered their error, because it was returned as we waited at the airport for our shuttle. My son in law took a walk to see if it was returned and THERE IT WAS! I will never put tags on before flying again!

Good that they caught it. DCL does tell you to put the tags on when you are leaving for the ship. If you are going directly from the airport to the ship using DCL transfers, you tag them before leaving your home airport. If you have an overnight hotel stay or are going to WDW before going to the ship, you apply the ship tags before getting on your transportation to the cruise terminal. 30+ DCL cruises and I have the system down.

What worries me is the paper Princess tags. They don't seem very sturdy (particularly compared to the DCL tags) I'll probably reinforce the back side with some duct tape and hope for the best. The airline tags will be more sturdy and if the Princess tags tear, they can be replaced.

Edited by moki'smommy

thanks , that is exactly what we are doing

Go to serendipity.com. They have luggage tags holders, specifically made for cruise luggage. $2.50 a piece. We've used them for EVER!! FYI don't request the 9 inch length to attach to luggage, WAY too long. Hope this helps..

Only a tiny bit off topic but you should also make copies of the inside page of your passport and put it in any bag that you might be taking off ship with you while in port. I prefer keeping my passport in the safe but I will have all the information needed if, for some reason, I cannot get back to the ship.

You had better hope that should you need your passport and don't have it that there is a US consulate/embassy nearby that is open. Otherwise the paper that the passport info is printed on is worthless.

No need to purchase tag holders, etc. Simply get one of those mini staplers. Before you head for the ship, staple the luggage tag around the three exposed edges.

As others have mentioned, do print additional copies of your flight and cruise itinerary and place them on one of the outside pockets of each piece of luggage. Just in case the tags placed around the handle rip or break off.

Do not place it inside the suitcase as it is normally locked.

You had better hope that should you need your passport and don't have it that there is a US consulate/embassy nearby that is open. Otherwise the paper that the passport info is printed on is worthless.

"Worthless" is probably too strong.......that copy of a passport has most of the information an embassy would need to issue a duplicate......and having just that copy has been very useful to me on several occasions while in Europe.....in the Caribbean I think one could get by with a library card. :cool:

What worries me is the paper Princess tags. They don't seem very sturdy (particularly compared to the DCL tags) .

If you fold the tags per the instructions they are stronger than the luggage tags Princess used to mail to you.

We fold them (per the instructions)' date=' punch a hole, and attach to the luggage using a plastic electrical tie. We always need a scissors to remove them.

Or, you can use the kit below suggested by Cruise Critic member chrysalis.

[img']http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/caribill/junk/Luggage%20tag%20kit%20by%20chrysalis_zpsuzt1rkvd.jpg[/img]

Or the following luggage tag kit is also available.

Tool%20chest_zpsvv2g4s7a.jpg

I've used the ones from favors by serendipity for years and they still look like new. I do prefer the 9" loops, I guess it depends on how thick the handles are on your luggage. They have a few other cruise accessories I use as well.

Edited by sasha'smom