Booking 20yr old Son alone

tlbutler33

... Am I to understand that if I call RCI I could officially put our kids in the other room on paper before we board?...

That is correct, call whoever booked your cruise and try to change if the kid's stateroom will be next to or across the hall from yours.

Be sure to confirm that there will be no re-pricing or loss of benefits when the switch is made.

Edited by clarea

If there is not a cabin directly across the hall just switch names on your reservation. Put him in your Grand suite in place of your wife and then have her book a solo cabin anywhere else on the ship. As an added bonus you get the double points instead of your son. Change rooms once on board.

Of course, whoever is not booked in the GS won't get a gold colored SeaPass card, if that is an issue.

There could also be a price change. I would not change names, I would just book your son in a nearby inside cabin.

That is correct, call whoever booked your cruise and try to change if the kid's stateroom will be next to or across the hall from yours.

Be sure to confirm that there will be no re-pricing or loss of benefits when the switch is made.

10-4

Thanks Bob.

I will do that and report back here. But I'm not in a particular rush since our cruise is still a ways away.

dp

Also, regardless of what is listed in your account for beds together / beds apart, all beds will likely be together when you board. Just let your stateroom attendant know to separate the kids' beds, and it will be done at the evening turndown, not a problem at all.

But yes, call and switch it now -- that way, everyone only has to carry one card, a combination of room key and account card. Otherwise, the people who switch will need one card for their room key and a second card for their ship ID/account card.

It's a little bewildering that "kids" as young as 16 in the UK and 17 in the US can enlist and fight for our freedom but a 20 year old can't stay in a cabin by him or herself for a week or two without some fancy footwork!

RCCL does allow it as long as you are part of a group that includes the parents or someone older, and they do not need to be across the hall either. All you need to do, is make the reservation by calling them, and have them link the reservations.

By the way, RCCL allows under 21 to book, if they are married or if they are in the military. They do not allow under 21 because they don't want the ship to be a college party. It's to protect their customers. So you statement about enlisted military, they recognize that they are a different group, and so they get that privilege.

You might also note that Carnival does not allow anyone under 25 for the same reasons. Many hotels in Florida, along the coast also have age restrictions and will only wave them for married, or military personnel. Since the companies are private companies, and they make the rules based on experiences with this age group.

RCCL does allow it as long as you are part of a group that includes the parents or someone older, and they do not need to be across the hall either. All you need to do, is make the reservation by calling them, and have them link the reservations.

By the way, RCCL allows under 21 to book, if they are married or if they are in the military. They do not allow under 21 because they don't want the ship to be a college party. It's to protect their customers. So you statement about enlisted military, they recognize that they are a different group, and so they get that privilege.

You might also note that Carnival does not allow anyone under 25 for the same reasons. Many hotels in Florida, along the coast also have age restrictions and will only wave them for married, or military personnel. Since the companies are private companies, and they make the rules based on experiences with this age group.

Do you know at what age Royal no longer requires children (under 21) to be booked in a room directly beside or directly across the hall from their parents?

If they do allow this then it must be over a certain age as they would not let me book my kids in a room that was across the hall but 1 door down.

We have three cabins reserved for our cruise in two weeks. One for my husband and I, another about 5 cabins down for our two 16 y/o and another in an entirely different part of the ship for our 20 and 21 y/o. We did not have any problems booking these rooms apart. I would rather have the 16 y/o right next to us, but that was not possible when we booked.

funnypost.gifhappy-smiley.gif

I'm following this thread cause we booked 2 side by side Balcony Rooms but not adjoining.

On the web site I booked my wife with my daughter(12) in one room and my son(17) with me. All this, and once we board we're planing to put my wife & I in one room and our kids in the other. Am I to understand that if I call RCI I could officially put our kids in the other room on paper before we board?

Then we could make sure the room/bed configurations could be made ahead of time.

dp

Note if you are taking wine onboard:

If you change it and you & your wife are in the same cabin you can only take 2 bottles of wine onboard

leave it how it is and you can take 4 bottles of wine onboard (2 per cabin with someone over 21)

We have three cabins reserved for our cruise in two weeks. One for my husband and I, another about 5 cabins down for our two 16 y/o and another in an entirely different part of the ship for our 20 and 21 y/o. We did not have any problems booking these rooms apart. I would rather have the 16 y/o right next to us, but that was not possible when we booked.

Thanks for the update about the 16YO's not having to be beside the adult cabin. That will make cabin selection easier in a few more years.

On the Adventure last week we booked 3 cabins on the Oasis for next year.

One for DW and I, an adjoining one for the in-laws, and an inside for the kids.

The inside is directly across the hall from our adjoining cabins.

While going through the booking with the NextCruise agent, he asked about the age of the oldest 'kid' in the room.

The ages are 17, 17 and 23. He commented that he could not book the room unless there was someone in it 21 or older but we were okay since one is 23.

I'm not saying the OP can't get their son in a cabin, just pointing out another RCCL inconsistency and how you may get a different answer depending on who you ask.

You were going along pretty well until you stated the bold. That is wrong! Edited by SeaUs

Onboard Policies

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif

Print This Page

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309#8A3D5k8usxrhx4tD.99

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

You were going along pretty well until you stated the bold. That is wrong!

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative or guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

For both exceptions below, bookings should be carefully documented.

Documentation should be e-mailed prior to the cruise to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or hand-carried to embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Exception: Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation must be submitted.

Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Exception: Qualified Military Personnel

Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their guests) of 18 – 20 years of age

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544

Onboard Policies

image: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/img/ico/cor_print_icon.gif

Print This Page

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309#8A3D5k8usxrhx4tD.99

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

Like many of their policies posted on their website it is not what is practiced in reality. We have never been made to have connecting staterooms.

Like many of their policies posted on their website it is not what is practiced in reality. We have never been made to have connecting staterooms.

Nonetheless, it is the posted policy. Stating what is in the policy does not make someone "wrong".

Edited by Cuizer2

OP: You are suite guests, and Royal Caribbean should be glad to take your call and accommodate your needs.

That is what any normal person would think. However, after speaking with Royal Caribbean's shore side customer disservice, one might come away with a slightly different impression.

No, it doesn't make it wrong, however people are looking for accurate information and that is not always what is in the policy.

Actually, the policy IS the accurate information. Just because some people don't enforce the rules there is no guarantee that they won't be enforced for someone else. You could have 20 people here say they got away with breaking the rules and when you try, the rules are enforced so stating the policy is the only right thing to do.

Actually, the policy IS the accurate information. Just because some people don't enforce the rules there is no guarantee that they won't be enforced for someone else. You could have 20 people here say they got away with breaking the rules and when you try, the rules are enforced so stating the policy is the only right thing to do.

And you know that is the policy how?

There is one thing that many know for certain and that is not to count on Royals IT department keeping their website up to date and current with its policies.

I suppose that since the website still says in certain sections that a corkage fee will get charged than many people are breaking the rules for drinking their own wine on board without paying the fee.

How is it breaking the rules when you call Royal and they are the ones that tell you their policy (that is different from what is posted on the website) and how you need to book. I have never read a post on here that Royal has ever made anyone book cabins that are connecting. It has always been (in the 4 years that we have been cruising with children) as long as the cabins are side by side or directly across the hall the children can be booked in the room without the need for an adult over 21 being booked in with them.

I did find it interesting that someone who had older kids was able to book them in a room by themselves that was a few cabins away. That was new to me as I had not experienced that nor read of any other posts about older kids.

And you know that is the policy how?

There is one thing that many know for certain and that is not to count on Royals IT department keeping their website up to date and current with its policies.

I suppose that since the website still says in certain sections that a corkage fee will get charged than many people are breaking the rules for drinking their own wine on board without paying the fee.

How is it breaking the rules when you call Royal and they are the ones that tell you their policy (that is different from what is posted on the website) and how you need to book. I have never read a post on here that Royal has ever made anyone book cabins that are connecting. It has always been (in the 4 years that we have been cruising with children) as long as the cabins are side by side or directly across the hall the children can be booked in the room without the need for an adult over 21 being booked in with them.

I did find it interesting that someone who had older kids was able to book them in a room by themselves that was a few cabins away. That was new to me as I had not experienced that nor read of any other posts about older kids.

I never stated which policy is the correct one (the one on the website or the one told verbally to you by customer service), I simply stated that the policy, in writing, is the only thing that matters.....not what you are told from places like this board and such. Also, what is told to you from RCCL customer service is really immaterial as well unless they will provide proof, in writing (via email). So if you are told something that is different from what is listed on the website, have them email it to you and then you will have the policy in hand and can act on that written policy.

USS Abraham Lincoln, CVN-72. First, it was a joke (hence the big grin smiley face). Second, you do have a private bunk with a privacy curtain.......think of it as the world's smallest private cabin. ;)

Spent a week n the U.S.S. Lincoln myself in 2007. My son's a Hornet Pilot and I was lucky enough to do a Tiger Cruise (I'm retired Coast Guard Pilot). Kept asking him where the Pina Coladas on the Lido Deck were. He just rolled his eyes. [emoji3]. Actually a fantastic experience. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. And I loved the private bunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

When I booked two cabins for my family which is myself, my sister, my daughter (18), my son (15) and my niece (18), they made me put myself, my sister and my niece in one room and my daughter and son in the other room. These are connecting rooms so the internal door will be open. Now we will have to switch on the ship and get extra cabin keys. Why wouldn't they let my niece be booked with my kids? It would be so much easier if things were straight before we got on the ship.

It's a little bewildering that "kids" as young as 16 in the UK and 17 in the US can enlist and fight for our freedom but a 20 year old can't stay in a cabin by him or herself for a week or two without some fancy footwork!

Yes, but I imagine its for good reason. If 19 and 20 year olds weren't more likely to damage the cabin and wreak havoc on the ship, I'm sure the cruise lines would be more than happy to take their money.