Booking 20yr old Son alone

tlbutler33

We have an upcoming cruise in January that our son was originally not able to go on. Well of course now, he is able. My wife and I are booked in a Grand Suite and paid in full. (final payment date is passed). Being that he is only 20, is there any possible way to book him into his own room by himself???? There are a few available virtual balcony rooms across the hall. Would I be able to book him in one of those??? Thanks for any suggestions.

We have an upcoming cruise in January that our son was originally not able to go on. Well of course now, he is able. My wife and I are booked in a Grand Suite and paid in full. (final payment date is passed). Being that he is only 20, is there any possible way to book him into his own room by himself???? There are a few available virtual balcony rooms across the hall. Would I be able to book him in one of those??? Thanks for any suggestions.

Royal will let you book guest(s) under 21 in their own stateroom if it is across the hall or next to your room. However, the website will not allow this, you have to call to book this way.

If there is not a cabin directly across the hall just switch names on your reservation. Put him in your Grand suite in place of your wife and then have her book a solo cabin anywhere else on the ship. As an added bonus you get the double points instead of your son. Change rooms once on board.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

If there is not a cabin directly across the hall just switch names on your reservation. Put him in your Grand suite in place of your wife and then have her book a solo cabin anywhere else on the ship. As an added bonus you get the double points instead of your son. Change rooms once on board.

Of course, whoever is not booked in the GS won't get a gold colored SeaPass card, if that is an issue.

Of course, whoever is not booked in the GS won't get a gold colored SeaPass card, if that is an issue.

Good point. That could definitely be an issue.

You would think that Royal would relax the requirements for the adjoining or directly across from once the kids hit a certain age.

in the late nineties, when The legend of the Seas was brand new, we did a cruise.

My daughter was 20 years old at that time, and like the OP mentioned, she had issues meeting other Lesiban's.

It was great to see the "Friends of Dorothy" group which meets up on the ships.

My daughter met lots of new friends, both Male and Female, and she really enjoyed herself.

Looking back, I was nervous at the time, but feel a lot better at my decision making.

Its best that Your Son gets his own cabin, it will give him independence and confidence.

Can I do that even though we are past the final payment date??

Don't do the name switch. Name changes on many cruises lines after final payment is the same as cancelling the cruise . Penalties might be involved.

Don't do the name switch. Name changes on many cruises lines after final payment is the same as cancelling the cruise . Penalties might be involved.

I believe on Royal as long as one name remains the same the other can be switched up until a few days before sailing without penalty. Of course, TAs may do their own thing.

To the OP, look to see if there is a cabin close by to put your son in. To me always best to have everyone in the proper cabin before sailing, alleviates having to make switches once onboard. If there are no cabins close enough for the cruise lines rules, switch one of your names to other cabin, but do realize you may be impacting your suite benefits. Nobody can tell you what to do, only the options you have and you need to decide what works best for you. Call the cruise line and make sure what you would like to do is workable and it will not impact your sailing before making any changes.

It's a little bewildering that "kids" as young as 16 in the UK and 17 in the US can enlist and fight for our freedom but a 20 year old can't stay in a cabin by him or herself for a week or two without some fancy footwork!

Sure they can. Join the Navy! :D

That aside, it's the difference between laws and a private business' rules.

in the late nineties, when The legend of the Seas was brand new, we did a cruise.

My daughter was 20 years old at that time, and like the OP mentioned, she had issues meeting other Lesiban's.

My daughter met lots of new friends, both Male and Female, and she really enjoyed herself.

Looking back, I was nervous at the time, but feel a lot better at my decision making.

Its best that Your Son gets his own cabin, it will give him independence and confidence.

Just where in the OP was it mentioned that the OP's son had issues meeting lesbians???? :rolleyes:

Apparently you've never been on a Navy ship. No "cabins to yourself" there. :)

USS Abraham Lincoln, CVN-72. First, it was a joke (hence the big grin smiley face). Second, you do have a private bunk with a privacy curtain.......think of it as the world's smallest private cabin. ;)

Edited by Who Cares?

Being in a GS, she will already be receiving double points. By moving to a solo, she will lose the other suite benefits.

Don't move either parent out of the GS -- they'll lose the gold card and suite benefits.

Instead, call and book your son in a nearby cabin -- it's done all the time by parents for kids traveling with them.

The only time you'd have trouble booking the 20yo into his own cabin is if he were going on the trip all by himself, with no other / older responsible party involved.

Don't move either parent out of the GS -- they'll lose the gold card and suite benefits.

Instead, call and book your son in a nearby cabin -- it's done all the time by parents for kids traveling with them.

The only time you'd have trouble booking the 20yo into his own cabin is if he were going on the trip all by himself, with no other / older responsible party involved.

Booking the 20yo in a cabin by himself could be an issue this close to sailing if there are no cabins directly adjacent or directly across from the parents. I have not heard of anyone reporting that Royal will vary from this policy based on age.

Name changes are allowed up to 24 hours prior to sailing as long as one of the original names on the reservation remains. The cruise will not be repriced because of a name change.

Booking the 20yo in a cabin by himself could be an issue this close to sailing if there are no cabins directly adjacent or directly across from the parents. I have not heard of anyone reporting that Royal will vary from this policy based on age.

Except for the fact that the OP already said this:

So it's a non-issue.

Book the cabin. Enjoy the cruise. Life goes on.

It's a little bewildering that "kids" as young as 16 in the UK and 17 in the US can enlist and fight for our freedom but a 20 year old can't stay in a cabin by him or herself for a week or two without some fancy footwork!

If you've ever worked college campus security, you'd find your bewilderment is misplaced. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'll take Posts That Came From Outer Space for $1000, Alex.

Where did the OP mention their son was a lesbian and having trouble meeting other lesbians?

Now that is being real silly poncho.

her son can not be a Lesbian. Only girls can be Lesbians.

I've been one my entire life. Only dig chicks. HAHAHAHAHA

ETA: but really, where did the OP say that their son had a problem meeting people?

Edited by poncho1973

I'll take Posts That Came From Outer Space for $1000, Alex.

funnypost.gifhappy-smiley.gif

I'm following this thread cause we booked 2 side by side Balcony Rooms but not adjoining.

On the web site I booked my wife with my daughter(12) in one room and my son(17) with me. All this, and once we board we're planing to put my wife & I in one room and our kids in the other. Am I to understand that if I call RCI I could officially put our kids in the other room on paper before we board?

Then we could make sure the room/bed configurations could be made ahead of time.

dp

Edited by dpostman