Nice jeans for dinner in MDR?

tbmrt

I was surprised to read this today regarding "designer jeans/jeans that don't have holes, rips or tears".

Did policy change?

I thought all jeans were forbidden in the MDR period.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, tank tops, caps and poolwear are not allowed in the main or specialty restaurants. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed during evening hours. As long as jeans don't have holes, rips or tears, they are permitted in the main dining room any night of the cruise.

There is such a thing as too casual though. While designer-looking jeans will be acceptable, ripped jeans will not;

Jeans have been allowed for several years actually, just no holes or rips.

That's why this policy change isn't really more than a change in name.

Formal night even only needed a jacket for men in the past, no tie was even required. So now the jacket requirement is gone in lieu of sweaters and collared shirts is really the big change.

And of course formal wear is still allowed.

This is my thought on jeans. If you want to wear jeans in a MDR then go on a cheaper cruise line. I work hard to save money to enjoy my cruise and buy nice clothes so I can dress nicely each night and have a fine dining experience. When you wear jeans, you are just ruining it.

No bashing, these are my opinions.

This is my thought on jeans. If you want to wear jeans in a MDR then go on a cheaper cruise line. I work hard to save money to enjoy my cruise and buy nice clothes so I can dress nicely each night and have a fine dining experience. When you wear jeans, you are just ruining it.

I do not wear jeans in the MDR, in fact I do not bring them on a cruise. However, the policy has been in place for the last several years on non formal nights. Now, it is acceptable all nights. I do not see how we can tell someone that they should cruise on a different line if they are following the Celebrity rules?

You don't have the right to tell anyone where to go on vacation or what to wear. If you want to get dressed up and don't want to see anyone in jeans, the only place I can imagine for you is your own home.

I have seen cruisers in the MDRs on Celebrity wearing nice jeans and they look great. I have also seen cruisers wearing jeans who looked like they were on their way to the hardware store --- no tears or rips in them, however. I have no problem at all with the first group, but wish the second group would stick to the buffet. I guess we can only hope to rely on passengers to police themselves.

You don't have the right to tell anyone where to go on vacation or what to wear. If you want to get dressed up and don't want to see anyone in jeans, the only place I can imagine for you is your own home.

Thanks to all. I thought this was a safe environment to have constructive discussion. I politely asked for no bashing and what do I get? Bashing.

So is the reflection of our PC world these days.....

Thanks to all. I thought this was a safe environment to have constructive discussion. I politely asked for no bashing and what do I get? Bashing.

if that's what you truly thought of cruise critic I doubt you've read many dress code threads on here...

As for YOUR opinion that's fine but surely to make such a statement you can't really be that surprised by the replies you have recieved or will receive... as far as I know you are not the sole owner of celebrity cruises and have no right whatsoever to say what you did...

For you're information we also work very hard for our holiday and most years I buy a couple of pairs of jeans just for the cruise... Im fitting in perfectly with the celebrity dress code so why should I ignore that and follow your request... Maybe you should cruise exclusively with Cunard where jeans are not CURRENTLY part of the dress code on any nights... Maybe your fit in more over there! 😏

Times are a changin....and while it might not be our personal preference it is the way it is! The trend to informal has swept the entire cruise industry and even some of the most expensive ultra-luxury lines no longer have formal nights of strict dress codes. About the only exception we have encountered was on a Queen Mary 2 crossing where they actually enforced a tough formal dress code on 3 of 6 nights in the MDR and the Ballroom (for evening entertainment/dancing). Not sure if the "Queen" is now relaxing that code.

As for those of us who still like to dress-up now and then....you can still have your dressy night. Nothing wrong with being the best dressed on the ship :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Sorry OP, the way it tend to go around here. You asked if the policy permitted jeans on non-formal nights and several correctly answered your question that they are.

Other than Cunard, who still does not allow them? Those truly bothered by the presence of jeans in the mdr don't have many choices left. This does not include me, by the way.

I'm thinking it changed about 2 years ago now. I wear Polo Jeans (blue or off white every night in Blu or MDR on all nights but formal nights.

Actually changed about seven years ago at the same time Celebrity changed from three evening dress codes to two. At that time the word jeans was removed from the forbidden list.

AGREE!

People complain that the Cruise Experience is going down hill, , we are helping to drag it down!

Quite frankly that is your problem, if I decide to wear jeans which I have only done on an Alaska cruise, I am within my rights according to Celebrity and I pay the same fare.

"Constructive discussion"? You might want to reread your first post.

I find it perplexing that some people are still surprised (and in some cases turned off) by people wearing jeans. Fine dining is a hobby of mine; been to nearly 50 different Michelin starred restaurants in the US (venues in Chicago, NYC and San Francisco). In the vast majority of them it is quite common to see both men and women dressed in designer jeans. In large cities in the US this style of dress is considered quite trendy and people can look very stylish attired in this manner. I am dining at a Michelin starred venue this weekend and will be sporting jeans and a sport coat.

Agree that nobody has the right to tell anyone else where to go on vacation or how to dress. You make your own choices. I guess nobody could do anything if I decided not to shower for a month or two before the cruise either.

There are however some bounds of common decency and guidelines we all need to follow in order to have society work. I always wear clothing to go to WalMart or McDs. Shoes, shirt and pants. Always cleaned and my hair either newly cut or combed. OK so far? Taking my wife out to a nice dinner I either wear black jeans (not faded), shoes with socks and a nice shirt. If the restaurant is upscale I wear a sports-coat and tie.

The last is all X has required for the last 10 years or more. I have a tux and tails. They are even fun to wear once in a while; but I do not want to deal with packing them for airplane travel. But, why is it not reasonable to ask people - even on vacation - to look a bit sharp? That one mystifies me.

For me, it's not so much the jeans, as there are many nice pairs of well fitting jeans, that look good with a dress shirt. I would be more concerned with people disregarding a dress code entirely. I don't know what Celebrity thinks "Evening Chic" means, but it bears a striking resemblance to Smart Casual to me. I've always worn suits/tuxes on formal nights, and on the Smart Casual nights, pants or jeans, along with a collared shirt, sometimes a blazer. I just think that some people are going to look at this more relaxed dress code, and you'll start to see very little effort in people's dinner wear. Yes, I know that I shouldn't let what people wear affect my vacation, and it won't. But I just remember the days when people used to appreciate getting dressed up. Just my 0.02

For me, it's not so much the jeans, as there are many nice pairs of well fitting jeans, that look good with a dress shirt. I would be more concerned with people disregarding a dress code entirely. I don't know what Celebrity thinks "Evening Chic" means, but it bears a striking resemblance to Smart Casual to me. I've always worn suits/tuxes on formal nights, and on the Smart Casual nights, pants or jeans, along with a collared shirt, sometimes a blazer. I just think that some people are going to look at this more relaxed dress code, and you'll start to see very little effort in people's dinner wear. Yes, I know that I shouldn't let what people wear affect my vacation, and it won't. But I just remember the days when people used to appreciate getting dressed up. Just my 0.02

Completely agree!

Agree that nobody has the right to tell anyone else where to go on vacation or how to dress. You make your own choices. I guess nobody could do anything if I decided not to shower for a month or two before the cruise either.

There are however some bounds of common decency and guidelines we all need to follow in order to have society work. I always wear clothing to go to WalMart or McDs. Shoes, shirt and pants. Always cleaned and my hair either newly cut or combed. OK so far? Taking my wife out to a nice dinner I either wear black jeans (not faded), shoes with socks and a nice shirt. If the restaurant is upscale I wear a sports-coat and tie.

The last is all X has required for the last 10 years or more. I have a tux and tails. They are even fun to wear once in a while; but I do not want to deal with packing them for airplane travel. But, why is it not reasonable to ask people - even on vacation - to look a bit sharp? That one mystifies me.

I don't think that the issue is one of asking people to look "sharp", but one of trying to decide what in fact does look sharp. Such a subjective issue, particularly when one person in a pair of designer jeans may look far "sharper" than another wearing a tux.

I've never taken jeans on a cruise, don't own designer jeans and will probably continue to wear a jacket and tie with my dress slacks. But as Celebrity approves of jeans, no passenger should tell those who like to wear jeans to go elsewhere.

I don't think that the issue is one of asking people to look "sharp", but one of trying to decide what in fact does look sharp. Such a subjective issue, particularly when one person in a pair of designer jeans may look far "sharper" than another wearing a tux.

I've never taken jeans on a cruise, don't own designer jeans and will probably continue to wear a jacket and tie with my dress slacks. But as Celebrity approves of jeans, no passenger should tell those who like to wear jeans to go elsewhere.

You hit the nail on the head! Today's "sharp" can include jeans is many fine dinning restaurants on land and with Celebrity while sailing.