General lens question

PurpleHays

I'm pretty much a new photographer. I've had cameras for years, but never really explored what I could do with them. I started with a Minolta Maxxim and went with a Sony A37 to switch my lens over. For lenses, I have a 28-80, 18-55, and a 75-200 telephoto. I almost always have the wrong lens on for whatever I want to shoot in a hurry.

I told DH that I was saving to get a lens with a better range that would fit in most of the shooting I want to do when we travel. I went to our local camera shop yesterday and they showed my an 18-135/F3.5-5.6 lens. It's Sony brand. Do any of you have an opinion on this lens or one similar? Will it be a good "walk around" lens?

I told DH that I was saving to get a lens with a better range that would fit in most of the shooting I want to do when we travel. I went to our local camera shop yesterday and they showed my an 18-135/F3.5-5.6 lens. It's Sony brand. Do any of you have an opinion on this lens or one similar? Will it be a good "walk around" lens?

Although not having a Sony SLR, I have a Nikon D7100 with an 18-140mm lens that seems to be fairly close to what you are considering. Have been super happy with that lens in giving me so many more good options and potentials. Had previously mainly used an 18-55mm and that was good. BUT, having the added flexibility to go out to 140mm was wonderful.

From early last year doing Australia and New Zealand as documented below in my live/blog, that 18-140mm lens work exactly for about 95% of my needs. I also had along a 10-20 mm wide angle and a 55-300 mm for longer needs. Used those other lenses a few time, but, overall, it was this basic 18-140mm that was the "work-horse". If you are shooting RAW, you've also got the added flexibility to crop in and enlarge more distant things and have great results.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,511 views for this posting.

I have a Canon 18 - 200 and a Tamron 18 - 270. I have had good results with each. When I cruise I find that either one of these covers over 95% of what I need. I very rarely change lenses. Like you I do not like to be caught in a situation where I have to change lenses on the fly.

Terry,

Do you find you use your 10-20mm much indoors (cathedrals, museums, etc.). I'm considering getting a wide angle since it seems I use 18mm indoors a lot and often it seems like wider would be better.

Edited by clueless2

There is a website dedicated to Sony mount lens, Dyxum.com you can you up pretty much find every lens out there and find out if it is what you are looking for. Just because it is a Sony lens does not make it the best lens in that range. Another great site to get info is dpreview.com and look for Sony A forum. Good luck in your search.

John

I have a Canon 18 - 200 and a Tamron 18 - 270. I have had good results with each. When I cruise I find that either one of these covers over 95% of what I need. I very rarely change lenses. Like you I do not like to be caught in a situation where I have to change lenses on the fly.

My wife uses a Tamron 18-270 on her Nikon 5100 camera and loves it. She never changes lens anymore since she gets wonderful results on every cruise under different types of situations.

She takes tons of pictures for her website and carries that camera and lens everywhere. The other lenses stay at home.

Terry, Do you find you use your 10-20mm much indoors (cathedrals, museums, etc.). I'm considering getting a wide angle since it seems I use 18mm indoors a lot and often it seems like wider would be better.

YES!! You summarize very well that need/value for having a 10-20mm zoom along during your travels. I do not use it that much, but when you are in the right situation, it works well and makes an important different. Below are a few examples as proof or "evidence". Appreciate your very good follow-up point/question.

That 10-20mm works well as it does not get too distorted and/or having that "fish-eye" look.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,678 views for these postings.

This is Old St. Paul's church in Wellington, New Zealand. It is the former cathedral in the Diocese of Wellington for the Anglican Church. As an example of 19th-century Gothic Revival architecture, they adapted to colonial conditions and materials. It is at 34 Mulgrave Street, close to the New Zealand Parliament. Its construction was completed in June 1866. It is constructed from native NZ timbers. The interior has been likened to the upturned hull of an Elizabethan galleon with its exposed curving trusses and roof sacking. The flags displayed in the nave include the Royal Navy, NZ Merchant Navy and US Marine Corps. My wife is in yellow walking down the center aisle as she absorb the building details.:

WellingtonA9_zpse247f172.jpg

While at Cape Kidnappers near Napier, NZ, we arranged a private, three-course, gourmet lunch at the exclusive resort here that overlooked both the Pacific Ocean and the famed golf course ranked as the 22nd best in the world. Here are members of our 14-person, Central Ohio group enjoying this scenic and dramatic setting and the beautiful weather this day. I used my 10-20mm wide-angle lens to capture this shot.:

NapCapKidGannets115_zps0061777a.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

I've had an 18-250mm lens as my 'kit' lens since my first DSLR, and still use it to this day. Nothing approaches the convenience of this lens for all-around general purpose shooting and it's a great option when I don't want to be switching lenses or bringing a lot of lenses with me in some places. I have over 30 lenses, and am a lens freak - I often bring and change lenses on two different camera bodies and shoot with primes and specific focal ranges for certain situations, and yet there are times when I love being able to stick the 18-250mm on there and shoot darn near anything in a pinch. I bought all my DSLRs as body-only, so the 18-250mm works as my kit lens and default lens.

they showed my an 18-135/F3.5-5.6 lens. It's Sony brand.

Dave Pierce posted this a few days ago on the (Sony) A6000 section for the Sony 18mm-105mm zoom.

"DXO tested the 18-105 recently:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-...ractive-option

"It might not have the Zeiss badge, but the Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS has good center sharpness throughout the whole zoom range, and that includes the initial aperture where zooms like this are usually poor, and particularly so at the longer end of the range. The downside is that it’s not as well corrected in other areas as the Sony Zeiss E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, with which it is often compared. It still wouldn’t be an easy choice, even taking into account the $400 premium for the Zeiss. However the longer reach of the Sony is attractive, and for video users especially, the power zoom option may just swing it."

SLRGear did too:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...ct/1637/cat/83"

'

YES!! You summarize very well that need/value for having a 10-20mm zoom along during your travels. I do not use it that much, but when you are in the right situation, it works well and makes an important different. Below are a few examples as proof or "evidence". Appreciate your very good follow-up point/question.

That 10-20mm works well as it does not get too distorted and/or having that "fish-eye" look.

Thanks for the info and pics. I need to decide between the Nikon or one of the Tokinas. The Tokinas are faster (2.8) so I'm leaning that way.

Thanks for the info and pics. I need to decide between the Nikon or one of the Tokinas. The Tokinas are faster (2.8) so I'm leaning that way.

My 10-20mm wide angle lens is not from Nikon. It is from Sigma. Officially, it is a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX. Well designed and built. Has worked very well. Nikon does a good job with their lenses, but in some cases, it is not always worth it for the Nikon name and/or quality. Nice to have lots of good options to consider.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,726 views for this posting.

My 10-20mm wide angle lens is not from Nikon. It is from Sigma. Officially, it is a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX. Well designed and built. Has worked very well. Nikon does a good job with their lenses, but in some cases, it is not always worth it for the Nikon name and/or quality. Nice to have lots of good options to consider.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,726 views for this posting.

I had that exact same lens as well (actually still have it, it is just sitting on the bedroom shelf these days) when I had my D7000. I thought it was fine from about 14/15-20. I didn't like the distortion at the very wide end much. I also found myself not even using it much. Found myself using my 18-105 the most on my D7000. Now that I went to a D610 the 24mm is just about the sweet spot for me. (first the 24-85 "kit" lens and now that i picked up a 24-120 last month on sale). Sometimes a tiny bit of distortion at the wide end (nothing a simple click of the mouse in LR wont take care of) but just about perfect for me. I have my eye on that new 20mm f1.8 as my next target though...small and fast for some astrophotrography. :D

Hey Guys I think the poster is looking for an Sony/Minolta a-mount lens, Nikon and Cannon lens are great but it doesn't help the question. :)

John

I do have a Sony and need an A-mount, but welcome any opinions on the telephoto range I was looking for. I just kinda skimmed over the other lens discussion. I specifically wanted to know if an 18-135 zoom was a good general purpose lens.

Dave Pierce posted this a few days ago on the (Sony) A6000 section for the Sony 18mm-105mm zoom.

"DXO tested the 18-105 recently:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-...ractive-option

"It might not have the Zeiss badge, but the Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS has good center sharpness throughout the whole zoom range, and that includes the initial aperture where zooms like this are usually poor, and particularly so at the longer end of the range. The downside is that it’s not as well corrected in other areas as the Sony Zeiss E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, with which it is often compared. It still wouldn’t be an easy choice, even taking into account the $400 premium for the Zeiss. However the longer reach of the Sony is attractive, and for video users especially, the power zoom option may just swing it."

SLRGear did too:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showprodu...ct/1637/cat/83"

'

That's a sweet lens IMHO.

My favorite walk around lens for my Sony a55 was a sony 18-250. I've heard the tamron 18-270 (a-mount) is even better, but have not use it myself. I don't know about you, but I almost always wish I could zoom in more, so I don't think I'd care for a shorter lens for everyday use.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a website dedicated to Sony mount lens, Dyxum.com you can you up pretty much find every lens out there and find out if it is what you are looking for. Just because it is a Sony lens does not make it the best lens in that range. Another great site to get info is dpreview.com and look for Sony A forum. Good luck in your search.

John

+1

I have been using a Sony A500 since 2010 but also have an A57 and A100. I've been buying and selling A-mount lenses and cameras the past few years trying to find what's best for me. I'm basically a vacation photographer as I only take about 2000 pics a year. Through all my recent cruises and travels I've narrowed my travelling kit to the Minolta 50mm f1.7, and a Tamron 18-270mm. I use the 50mm onboard ship and in situations where no flash photography is allowed and the 18-270 everywhere else.

I hate changing lenses in public. The only exception was my recent whale watching trip in Maui which I boarded the ship with a Minolta 75-300mm. It is the equivilent of a 110-450mm on the Sony.

If you want to travel light, get the Tamron 18-270. It's $375-$450 new but can find it in the $200-$300 range used.

My very first travel kit was the Sony 18-55mm kit lens and an old Tamron 28-300mm (42-450 on Sony) that I found used for $130. It met my needs most of the time but was not quite wide enough. DW would use her iPhone in those situations.

I just want to take some good photos and document my travels to look back on. I do not take photography seriously as a hobby. I do take the camera out about a month before the trip and practice in situations that I may encounter. I practised a lot on moving harbour seals and seagulls before getting my "breaching humpback" shot in Maui.:)

Edited by lamchops