Beware You Will Be Trapped in Pan American Port

Garavar

My girlfriend and I arrived 11 am at San Juan (Pan American) to Board the Adventure of the Seas.

We dropped off our bags, went inside to check in, got our sea pass cards AND NOW WE CAN'T LEAVE.

Our intention was to check in, and take a taxi to old San Juan and enjoy the day. However, instead we are stuck in a very crowded terminal. Mass of people everywhere and there is no exit door to leave.

We have tried to go out front security doors but instead they tell us we have to wait until a big garage door opens to the ship's ramps.

It has been an hour and 10 minutes since we have been trapped in here. Poor customer service on Royal's part.

Future travelers beware, do not check in if you want to leave. Just dump luggage and go.

I'm sure it is a security reason, to keep passengers safe.

I am sure it is but, having this many people standing shoulder to shoulder is also a security risk.

AND a health risk, no sanatizing stations, people coughing all over the place. Yum

We have always been able to get off of the ship at the Pan Am pier and go into Old San Juan but we have never tried doing it before we actually got onto the ship. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Maybe there were passengers from the previous cruise still picking up luggage (that is where the exit is) and they didn't want people from the departure area possibly getting into the arrival area and bypassing passport control and customs or folks like the OP mixing in with people who needed to be processed?

Edited by Ocean Boy

My girlfriend and I arrived 11 am at San Juan (Pan American) to Board the Adventure of the Seas.

We dropped off our bags, went inside to check in, got our sea pass cards AND NOW WE CAN'T LEAVE.

Our intention was to check in, and take a taxi to old San Juan and enjoy the day. However, instead we are stuck in a very crowded terminal. Mass of people everywhere and there is no exit door to leave.

We have tried to go out front security doors but instead they tell us we have to wait until a big garage door opens to the ship's ramps.

It has been an hour and 10 minutes since we have been trapped in here. Poor customer service on Royal's part.

Future travelers beware, do not check in if you want to leave. Just dump luggage and go.

Sorry...but agree you should have just dropped off your luggage and NOT entered the terminal doors...no reason to have done this....you could have easily checked in later when the crowds had already boarded the ship ;)

Sorry...but agree you should have just dropped off your luggage and NOT entered the terminal doors...no reason to have done this....you could have easily checked in later when the crowds had already boarded the ship ;)

Yep it was my mistake, so posting for people to know in thenfuture, don't go through the door

Did senior management of RCI advise you it was their policy? Or, by chance might it be a Port Authority restriction??

RCI DOES NOT own the pier, no cruise line does, they are all at the whim of local authority.

Confirm where blame belongs before posting a potentially inaccurate piece of information.

We were there in June, got there around 12, dumped everything except small backpacks, checked in, ate lunch and left with no problem through the area where you pick up your luggage. Maybe you can't leave until a little later?

I'll bet boarding had started by that time, so the "garage door" was open.

Yep it was my mistake, so posting for people to know in thenfuture, don't go through the door

Once you go thru the doors you have to wait until boarding is allowed and then you may exit. Its always been this policy our four trips these past years. Not sure who instructed you otherwise. Have a great time.

Thanks for the information... We are there in January. [emoji41][emoji41]

Confirm where blame belongs before posting a potentially inaccurate piece of information.

Please point to the portion of the post where I blamed anyone. I did say it was poor customer service on Royal's part only because the Royal Personel had no idea, they asked 3-4 different people, and I got different answers.

And to everyone telling me to not be mad, I am cruising. Please point where I mentioned I was mad at anyone RCL included?

To the contrary, I admitted it was MY MISTAKE in the thread and merely posted to warn others who might accidently do the same.

Edited by Garavar

Please point to the portion of the post where I blamed anyone. I did say it was poor customer service on Royal's part only because the Royal Personel had no idea, they asked 3-4 different people, and I got different answers.

And to everyone telling me to not be mad, I am cruising. Please point where I mentioned I was mad at anyone RCL included?

To the contrary, I admitted it was MY MISTAKE in the thread and merely posted to warn others who might accidently do the same.

Your motives for posting were well intentioned. Some of us get it. Now if I ever get to the pier before boarding begins I will know what to expect.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We were getting off the ship at 10:35 and the baggage/customs terminal was still packed. Took us almost 2 hours to disembark and so it's possible that they kept it closed as the shop was not cleared.

There were many that got on and off the previous Saturday. Could be that the boat was sold out and crowded.

Good luck, hopefully you are off having fun. My advice to you next Saturday is to get off super early or super late as the customs lines were horrible.

We were getting off the ship at 10:35 and the baggage/customs terminal was still packed. Took us almost 2 hours to disembark and so it's possible that they kept it closed as the shop was not cleared.

There were many that got on and off the previous Saturday. Could be that the boat was sold out and crowded.

Good luck, hopefully you are off having fun. My advice to you next Saturday is to get off super early or super late as the customs lines were horrible.

Thanks for the advise. Do you know if they had a global entry line or suite line?