Pier check in for large family

Innkeepers

My husband and I (Elite plus) are traveling with 8 other first time adult cruisers (some elderly and inexperienced travelers) next week. We were wondering since we are the "group leaders" what is the best way to check in everyone without getting separated? Should we get in the regular line with first time cruisers or is it allowed for me to haul my group with me to the Elite Plus line?

One of the travelers could use a transport wheelchair if her pride allows it. She would rather struggle than ask for help.

Thanks for the advice.

My husband and I (Elite plus) are traveling with 8 other first time adult cruisers (some elderly and inexperienced travelers) next week. We were wondering since we are the "group leaders" what is the best way to check in everyone without getting separated? Should we get in the regular line with first time cruisers or is it allowed for me to haul my group with me to the Elite Plus line?

One of the travelers could use a transport wheelchair if her pride allows it. She would rather struggle than ask for help.

Thanks for the advice.

On a recent cruise DH was in a wheelchair (temporarily). The attendant pushed him right up to a special line and we bypassed even the Elite plus and suite people. I think you could all go together as a group through the wheelchair line.

If you are departing out of any of the Florida ports, there are usually lots of people waiting for wheelchairs (these only take them on board. Once there, they take the wheelchair back for the next person). So, you may want to factor in this delay. At Port Everglades, they try to do put people in wheelchairs in order of arrival to the pier (obviously they have a limited supply of wheelchairs and porters to push them). If someone in your group needs a wheelchair on board, it's best to bring your own as, once again, cruise ships don't have them available for everyone who might need one for the entirety of a cruise.

They usually look at your paperwork for the lines, so I don't think you can bring a group of non-Elite+ into that line. You, of course, can go into their line.

Hope your group has a great trip!

Thanks for the advice.

There is no problem with everyone going to the Elite Plus line with you. However as you probably know, often some of the other lines are shorter, I would just go to one with everyone.

It's better to go in the line with everyone else (including your wheelchair passenger) to keep the entire group together.

Request the wheelchair ahead of time. A note will be made on that person's account to that effect and one will be provided just for the embarkation and debarkation only. If one is needed for the cruise, you can rent one at: http://cruiseshipassist.com/ or http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

It may be too late already, but I would recommend you do something totally else. It seems that you are fostering a sense of dependency that not only is going to run you ragged but also interferes with the others' exploration and discovery. So, what I recommend is that you tell the others that you'll meet them onboard. Brief them on the process and turn them loose. With your cell phone number to call if in trouble. You send your spouse ahead, you yourself hang back to be more readily available if needed. But let these adult persons act like adults and find their way just like other first-timers have done. I would expect you will all be happier.

When we boarded our last cruise, the representative noted our elite status, observed that we were with 4 non-elite traveling companions and directed us all to the elite line.

We wouldn't have asked that they be allowed this since all were experienced cruisers who could easily navigate the check-in process themselves, but were pleased that they could join us.

It may be too late already, but I would recommend you do something totally else. It seems that you are fostering a sense of dependency that not only is going to run you ragged but also interferes with the others' exploration and discovery. So, what I recommend is that you tell the others that you'll meet them onboard. Brief them on the process and turn them loose. With your cell phone number to call if in trouble. You send your spouse ahead, you yourself hang back to be more readily available if needed. But let these adult persons act like adults and find their way just like other first-timers have done. I would expect you will all be happier.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with this plan. These are "elderly and inexperienced travelers". I see disaster written all over it.

Just all stay together in the Elite Plus line and have a great cruise!

Don't worry about being in the elite plus line...all lines can service everyone. Just talk to the person directing traffic and take everyone to the same line...whichever one they suggest....they may even have a line for groups.

You really won't have any problem....enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck as we normally sail with just the two of us. I might just need a vacation after the family cruise. :)

I PROMISE you that you will feel like you need a vacation after this one. Despite all your best intentions, unless these people are very independent types, you will end up being tour guide for even the most mundane of issues. It's exhausting and frustrating. I have been there for fewer than eight people so best of luck.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with this plan. These are "elderly and inexperienced travelers". I see disaster written all over it.

Just all stay together in the Elite Plus line and have a great cruise!

Oh. I guess the OP (and you) are among those who use "elderly" as a synonym for "incompetent". Nevertheless, establishing and maintaining a dependency relationship is a recipe for trouble for both the "I'll do it for you" and the "oh please take care of me" sides of the story. Obviously there is no universal answer, it depends on how incompetent the elderly actually are, but the best path for all concerned is to avoid constant caregiving when it is not needed.

But then I could never understand "helicopter parents" either, and that is just the other end of the age spectrum.

I like the idea, but we like taking the boarding photo as a group. We have waited at the photo area for our group to all get through the check in process.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling