Checked luggage inspection by Carnival

iceberg1116

With the crazyness of the California shooting and other mass shootings this year, does anyone know if Carnival checks the checked luggage for contraband seriously? It is just a concern that my wife had brought up last night.

Edited by iceberg1116

With the crazyness of the California shooting and other mass shootings this year, does anyone know if Carnival checks the checked luggage for contraband seriously? It is just a concern that my wife had brought up last night.

Yes.

People get called to the naughty room to open bags all the time.

Lock your bags, so they'll have to call you to open your stuff, IF they think they see something. They shouldn't just "go through" your things

Hmmm..(wheels turning in my head)..Never been called to the naughty room before..wonder what it looks like? ;)

I'll tell you what..After reading some of the posts here and on John Heald's fb, I think any "coward terrorists" that even attempt to mess with upwards of 3000+ cruiser's on their hard earned, much anticipated vacation..well lets just say I think they would have their hands full.

Has anybody read people's reaction when JH has asked about shutting down the ice cream machine after 9pm? I have and it was not pretty! You just do not mess with "cruisers"!..especially "Carnival Cruisers"!

Edited by Lil2Angelic

I have a small clutch with a handle that you fit your fingers through, which looks like rings on your fingers. Unfortunately it looks like brass knuckles under X-ray. They caught it before I boarded and my card beeped as I was boarding. Security came and got me and I had to unlock my suitcase and carry it on.

Imagine the looks I got as I walked with a security guy pass the boarding passengers.

I was shocked when the security guy told me on almost every cruise they find bullets in checked luggage. So they do check pretty closely.

I was on the Sensation in Port Canaveral probably 10 years ago. I went to Bealls and purchased a rolling cooler bag for our sodas. I checked it with a 12 pack of soda. some water, and other items but it was pretty heavy. So we get on the ship have lunch, roam around and then head to our cabin about 230 and the phone is ringing. I was told to go to deck three and meet security. I have no idea why. I went alone I don't remember what my husband was doing at the time but he didn't know about it. So I get to deck three and they say come with me and not very nice. We get off the ship and go to the luggage screening area. It was a long walk. They say to me that I can't bring the cooler on board. Too big. I can however empty the contents and carry them back. Well they were nice enough to give me one white trash bag. I load everything into the trash bag and basically kissed my new bag goodbye since I didn't have a car at the port to put it into and they do not hold items. So now I am carrying about 40 pounds of stuff (OK maybe wasn't 40 but I know it was a lot) back to the ship and get back on and then back to the room.

The trash bag has almost stretched to the breaking point by this time and I am so glad to have made it back to the room. I find my husband in the room and tell him my story and he thinks it is funny. I have not lived it down to this day.

Oh, but something even funnier is the couple that we travel with had a hard time getting through security because the guy had put a butter packet in his shirt pocket at breakfast and the metal in the wrapper kept setting off the alarms. When they finally found it, the butter was all melted and had stained his shirt. We HAD to buy that embarkment picture because you can see the stain on his shirt.

So to the OP point about security, I do believe they check things pretty closely.

All checked luggage goes through scanners.

We've seen police with dogs walk around the crates of provisions that are waiting to be loaded onto the ship.

I have a small clutch with a handle that you fit your fingers through, which looks like rings on your fingers. Unfortunately it looks like brass knuckles under X-ray. They caught it before I boarded and my card beeped as I was boarding. Security came and got me and I had to unlock my suitcase and carry it on.

Imagine the looks I got as I walked with a security guy pass the boarding passengers.

I was shocked when the security guy told me on almost every cruise they find bullets in checked luggage. So they do check pretty closely.

I have a clutch like that and had it in my carryon on one of my flights and was pulled aside and lectured that I was lucky they are going to let me take it but don't put it in my carryon in the future because it will get confiscated. I WAS going to bring it on the ship next week but after seeing this post I think I won't!

Edited by avenger71

First off it's a port thing, not a Carnival thing. In some ports we've been sniffed by bomb and drug dogs during embark, either going into the terminal or just stepping onto the ship itself. This wasn't a Carnival cruise but Princess both times.