NYC ?'s

Bases5

We are sailing out of NYC next Sept.

Our flight gets in around 11 am the day before the cruise.

We would like to see some attractions

Our Bucket list is ESB, Central Park, Rockefeller Center 9-11 memorial and ride the subway.

1 Is this doable starting at noon? If so what order would you do them

2 Where would be the best location to stay with the above bucket list.

3 Will most hotels in NYC offer a place to store your luggage, Seem's most check in times are PM

4 Is there any must see attractions we should try to include.

5 Is learning the transportation system really hard or is there good mapping.

6 could you give some Food recommendations for dinner near the hotel location you suggest.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Edited by Bases5

Our Bucket list is ESB, Central Park, Rockefeller Center 9-11 memorial and ride the subway.

3 Will most hotels in NYC offer a place to store your luggage, Seem's most check in times are PM

6 could you give some Food recommendations for dinner near the hotel location you suggest.

For starters which airport are you flying into? What is your exact date? What cruise line are you sailing? What is your hotel budget?

For starters which airport are you flying into? What is your exact date? What cruise line are you sailing? What is your hotel budget?

LaGuardia airport.

Carnival Cruise line

Flying in on 16th of sept 2016 sailing on the 17th

Budget does matter for a hotel but i know thing are expensive in NY I'm thinking staying around or under $300

Edited by Bases5

LaGuardia airport.

Carnival Cruise line

Flying in on 16th of sept 2016 sailing on the 17th

Budget does matter for a hotel but i know thing are expensive in NY I'm thinking staying around or under $300

That is super high season in NYC. Fashion Week and the United Nations General Assembly opening. You need to book a hotel ASAP. Hotel prices are insane.

The Salisbury is in the $300 range. It is a little less prepaid on aa.com. It's a good location to get to Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and Times Square as well as the Cruiseport. The nearby subway will take you to the Empire State as well as downtown to the 911 Memorial.

by time you get out of the airport and into transportation- you'll be lucky to be at your midtown hotel by 1p. Yes, hotels have luggage storage for their guests. Tip.

Are you looking to take the tour of Rockerfeller Center, take top of the Rock? of which you can see the Empire State Building? The 911 museum- is 3/4 hours, plus grounds time for at least a brief look. If you want to go up the EBS, you are going to need to consider the express fees, or go late in their admission time. Otherwise be well prepared for long lines and waits. Depending where you stay, it's an easy subway ride to Central Park.

I like staying near Herald Square. I like the La Quinta, and the Wingate by Penn Station. Have gotten good rates at both.

The LaQuinta would be below the $300 budget, so that's a really good choice. It's right by the Empire State, so doing that at 8 am on Sat morning would be possible before checking into the cruise. The 911 area is open late, so that could be an evening activity and Central Park and Rockefeller Center could be done in the afternoon daylight. It all depends how much you want to cram in.

Book a hotel, prioritize what you want to do (i.e. see the EOS or go up the EOS), and post back for timing suggestions and directions.

One of the most expensive hotel weeks in NYC and little more than a half day to explore! Tall order for recommendations.

IMO anything less than $300 (remember the hotel taxes too), will be a disappointment on all fronts. Stretch that budget to $400/night and you may find a decent property during that week. If you've got frequent traveler points with any major hotel chain- now's the time to use them. Also, check out Jetsetter.com for flash sales (remembering, however, that you're looking a week that defines "high season").

As for restaurants, cross reference trip advisor, yelp and open table reviews for places near your chosen hotel. One of my favorite trendy places is Frankie's Sputino downtown (though I prefer their Brooklyn place). Like Paella? Try Soccarat. If you're with several family members, Carmine's just off Times Square is a great traditional NY Italian-American "Sunday Gravy" place (but always very busy) that serves family portions. There's many very good spots in Manhattan but many lousy ones too. Just do the research.

Regarding your tourism site preferences: IMO - undoable (in any order) in a single afternoon- too popular and far apart. The best way to do Manhattan is by neighborhood over several days. Want Central Park? Mix that with the Met and Natural History Museums. Want 30 Rock? Add MOMA and a Broadway matinee.

There used to be a wonderful travel guide series called ACCESS which discussed cities by neighborhood including hotels, attractions and food. Don't know if they still publish.

NY (like Rome, London, Washington) cannot be done justice in a day.

1 With a flight landing at 11, I think it is unlikely that you will be able to collect your luggage, get a cab to the hotel, check-in, and store your luggage in one hour.

You'll want to see Central Park during the day; it can take days to visit the whole Park; look at their website to decide what you want to see.

Do you want to walk by Rockefeller Center, take a tour, or go up to Top of the Rock? The last is best at sunset.

The 9/11 Memorial is open from 7:30 AM-9PM, so you could do that in the evening or early the morning of your cruise. If you only want to see the Memorial (and not the Museum), you could easily do that in less than an hour.

ESB is open until 2 AM, so you could do that after dinner, even if you prefer a late dinner.

2. Given that the sights you have selected are quite spread out (5ish miles from 9/11 to the Southern end of CP), the subway is your best bet for getting around and it doesn't really matter where in Manhattan your hotel is located. One option is to bid on Priceline; sometimes, we've had good luck with that in NYC and sometimes not. Book something you can cancel now, and look at Priceline closer to your trip.

3. Every hotel I've ever stayed at has afternoon check-in and will store luggage.

4 It will be a stretch to visit everything on your list without adding anything else.

5. Both the MTA website and google maps work well for route planning. It's not hard to use and people are willing to help. After you've planned your time, get a pay-per-ride metrocard and load it with the amount you need. Up to 4 people can use one card. The person holding the card swipes it before each of the other people goes thru the turnstile, then swipes for him/herself last and goes thru.

6. I like http://www.meupages.com for restaurant searches by location, cuisine, price and to read menus & reviews. For us to make recommendations, knowing your cuisine likes/dislikes and budget would be helpful.

1 With a flight landing at 11, I think it is unlikely that you will be able to collect your luggage, get a cab to the hotel, check-in, and store your luggage in one hour.

You'll want to see Central Park during the day; it can take days to visit the whole Park; look at their website to decide what you want to see.

Do you want to walk by Rockefeller Center, take a tour, or go up to Top of the Rock? The last is best at sunset.

The 9/11 Memorial is open from 7:30 AM-9PM, so you could do that in the evening or early the morning of your cruise. If you only want to see the Memorial (and not the Museum), you could easily do that in less than an hour.

ESB is open until 2 AM, so you could do that after dinner, even if you prefer a late dinner.

2. Given that the sights you have selected are quite spread out (5ish miles from 9/11 to the Southern end of CP), the subway is your best bet for getting around and it doesn't really matter where in Manhattan your hotel is located. One option is to bid on Priceline; sometimes, we've had good luck with that in NYC and sometimes not. Book something you can cancel now, and look at Priceline closer to your trip.

3. Every hotel I've ever stayed at has afternoon check-in and will store luggage.

4 It will be a stretch to visit everything on your list without adding anything else.

5. Both the MTA website and google maps work well for route planning. It's not hard to use and people are willing to help. After you've planned your time, get a pay-per-ride metrocard and load it with the amount you need. Up to 4 people can use one card. The person holding the card swipes it before each of the other people goes thru the turnstile, then swipes for him/herself last and goes thru.

6. I like http://www.meupages.com for restaurant searches by location, cuisine, price and to read menus & reviews. For us to make recommendations, knowing your cuisine likes/dislikes and budget would be helpful.

Thank You everyone for your help.

DW and I talked after reading your post and decided

we would rather come to NYC and stay several days to

better enjoy what it has to offer.

After all we are on vacation to relax from the hassle of life.

So I think we are leaning on just doing the ESB and a nice dinner.

With that said would we be better off staying closer to the airport where

rates might be better or is that a bad idea.

Glad to see you've seen the light. So, let me suggest 30 Rock instead of ESB. Tall enough for the overall effect. Close to MOMA and Times Square. With the right research, you'll find a good hotel (for example, if you've got certain credit cards issued by Chase - e.g. United Explorer Visa, check out "The Luxury Collection.") There's an occasional bargain to be found among these properties. In fact, right now, the 4 star Blakeley (nearby in the 50s and usually hundreds more) can be booked for about $350/night (cancellable) during that expensive week. Dinner choices from Le Bernardin ($$$$) to Carnegie Deli ($$) (with Carmine's in the middle are within walking distance. Short cab ride to the pier. Add a night and pick up half price show tix at TKTS.

If you're focusing on the ESB, then LaQuinta will fill the bill. It's on 32nd St between 5th and 6th, so it's right by the ESB as well as Herald Square (Macy's). It's under $300.

I'm not keen on recommending hotels near LaGuardia if you are also going into the city. Hotels with a free airport shuttle are not likely to be near the subway, so you would be spending extra cab fare to get to transportation. If you get a hotel near the subway, you will have to pay to get there from the airport. Either way you will be adding to the "hassle of life". I'd spend that extra cab fare money on a hotel in Manhattan.

I just wanted to thank you all again for the info

I think you have saved me lots of $$$ and best of all

will make both trips better.

When would you recommend making a trip to NYC both cost wise and weather wise.

I was wondering if there was any NY base forums like CC is to cruising?

Edited by Bases5

Hotel prices are the biggie in NYC. Weekday hotel prices are higher because of business travel. I've seen really good prices over Labor Day Weekend, particularly on the downtown hotels, because many New Yorkers clear out for the holiday. No matter where you stay, you are probably going to want to go somewhere else, so there is really no "best" location. Most New Yorkers use the subway, the bus, and walk to get around. Cabs are an option of course, but they can be pricey.

Trip Advisor has lots of New York info.

Second Avenue Deli (which despite the name is on 33rd between 3rd and Lex) is within easy walking distance of the ESB and gets a decent New York deli experience, doesn't it?

Agree on 2nd Ave Deli, just took my brother (re-planted Native NY'er that misses Jewish Deli in Boise but he like the Islanders, I guess now that they play in Brooklyn it's ok) there. Quieter then Carnegie was. And I walked from Macy's so further than ESB well the subway stop just south of Macy's without problem.

FWIW

Cost wise, Jan/Feb are good times to go. (I seem to be getting email from Hilton about everyday with good rates just about begging me to come). Weather wise I like sept/oct the best..BUT it is also more expensive. Basically if you want "cheap" it is middle of winter.

I'm the LaQuinta (Herald Square) stayer. :) With the extra days- a cost saving option is to consider using Free Tours by Foot, their Food Tours, can be a "meal" with the samples. :) I've never paid more than $10 for the food. Of course you tip the guide (don't be cheap), but these options can be very reasonable to fit in multiple in depth options. I highly recommend them. http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

The tour cost savings, could up the hotel budget some. :) :)

I live an hour north of NYC and visit frequently. One birthday, my son got a suite on hotel.com right near Times Square, where all the action is. You can group your activities by uptown, downtown. The only downtown u mentioned is the 9/11 museum. Take time to see the Statue of Liberty, great views on a cheap Staten Island Ferry while downtown. For dinner, I recommend any restaurant in Little Italy on Mulberry Street.

Your midtown activities are good, though New Roc was a great suggestion, but please don't miss Broadway!!! On 47th street, you can go to TKTS and get a half price, same day ticket. And the museums are awesome.

In sum, Midtown has the attractions, downtown has Wall St, 9/11, Little Italy. I'd say a minimum of 3-4 days to do the city justice....enjoy!

Edited by mrobstad

• 2 weeks later...

We think we might book the Kitano

66 park ave.

Is this a OK location.

Looks like it's walking distance to ESB and Time's Sq

Is there any restaurants close by?

I have another post asking about cabs and flying in day of

I'm a mess, sorry Titer tottering a lot.

my latest thought is just hanging out the first day and going to time's sq

Then doing the ESB the morning of the cruise.

side note: If we ask the hotel to hold our luggage,

what would be an Ok tip.

How to you tip taxi drivers, 20% of the fair?

66 park ave.

Is this a OK location.

Is there any restaurants close by?

I have another post asking about cabs and flying in day of

I'm a mess, sorry Titer tottering a lot.

my latest thought is just hanging out the first day and going to time's sq

Then doing the ESB the morning of the cruise.

side note: If we ask the hotel to hold our luggage,

what would be an Ok tip.

How to you tip taxi drivers, 20% of the fair?

I assume this means your other threads asking about taxi vs cruise line shuttle are no longer relevant because you're flying in the day before your cruise.

The neighborhood is very nice. I can't comment on specific restaurants in the area as I haven't eaten in the area in decades.

15 to 20% of the taxi fare is an appropriate tip.

66 park ave.

Is this a OK location.

An excellent location. I've only been inside once (for tea, some years ago), but walk past it frequently. Just a few minutes' walk from 5th Avenue & the Empire State Building as well as the Morgan, Grand Central Station, etc.

There are a gazillion restaurants within a half-mile radius--especially on the cross streets as well as on Lexington & on Third Ave, etc. Everything from the standard fast-food chains and local delis, diners, & pubs to high-end French restaurants, and just about any sort of ethnic cuisine you can think of (and many that you can't).

(The Kitano of course is a Japanese boutique hotel and has a fine Japanese restaurant.)