New Beds!

Working 2 Cruise

I just received the Captain Circle Magazine. New Beds, created by Dr. Michael Breus, the Sleep Doctor, and designed by Candice Olson of HGTV, will be rolled out fleetwide through 2018.

Great news indeed! However, I wish Princess would roll this out faster!

I keep seeing mattress commercials on TV where the mattress manufacturers say everyone should replace their mattress every 8 years. It the people selling the mattresses say they should be replaced in 8 years, then I figure the mattress should be good for 12-16 years. My mattress at home is 12 years old and I certainly have no complaint with it or intention to replace it yet. But then I also drive an 11 year old pickup truck with no intention to get a new one.

I think mattresses are like food. What is considered good by some will be bad in the opinion of others. Maybe the answer is a Sleep Number bed where the individual can adjust the firmness to suit him or herself. I can't imagine a cruise ship providing those types of beds.

I think mattresses are like food. What is considered good by some will be bad in the opinion of others. Maybe the answer is a Sleep Number bed where the individual can adjust the firmness to suit him or herself. I can't imagine a cruise ship providing those types of beds.

I used to have a Sleep Number bed and hated it - so you are right, we are all different but I don't think this bed (Sleep Number) will make everyone happy.

Radisson hotels had Sleep Number beds in all of their rooms at one time but have since replaced many of them out with a higher quality mattress and because they had complaints on the Sleep Number mattresses.

Edited by Coral

I used to have a Sleep Number bed and hated it - so you are right, we are all different but I don't think this bed (Sleep Number) will make everyone happy.

Radisson hotels had Sleep Number beds in all of their rooms at one time but have since replaced many of them out with a higher quality mattress and because they had complaints on the Sleep Number mattresses.

Agree wholeheartedly about Radisson Sleep Number beds - have experienced these and they are awful! Half the time they don't work and we would much prefer a normal pillow topped mattress.

I have to say the mattresses on Cunard's QE and QV were SO comfortable we wanted to bring them home, and we intend buying one of these beds next time we change our mattresses.

Beds on Royal Princess seemed fine so glad to hear they are upgrading throughout the fleet, even if it will be a slow process.

I hated the one I had at the Radisson also. I don't think I got any sleep that night.

So very glad to hear this news! It's always been the one hold-back for us when looking a potential cruises. When sleeping on theirs, I was reminded of the fairy tale, and this "Princess" could never get comfortable- felt like lots of "peas."

The new beds are sorely needed ( pun intended ). So are new pillows. Meanwhile, your travel agent can special request a pillow top mattress topper for you. It is free and makes all the difference.

Edited by cvpends

The new beds are sorely needed ( pun intended ). So are new pillows. Meanwhile, your travel agent can special request a pillow top mattress topper for you. It is free and makes all the difference.

We were on the Royal Princess for 20 days in October and the pillows were very comfortable (the best of any cruise we've been on). My DH, who is very particular about his pillow, liked them so much that he went to passenger services and asked who made them. The first answer was "we get them from the warehouse." Well that wasn't very helpful :D so they offered to check with the Hotel Manager. The next morning we had a message on our cabin phone giving us the name of the company. Turns out it is an Italian company (Matermoll) but thanks to the internet DH found a distributor in the US. Within a week of our return from the cruise he had his new pillow.

I have never really had an issue with the old Princess beds. I will say that the beds on the Royal were very, very comfy!

I also never had a problem with the old beds, comfortable on my three cruises. We must have been just lucky though, for so many were uncomfortable.

Oh don't get me started on pillows. They get lumpier every time we sail. :(

Oh don't get me started on pillows. They get lumpier every time we sail. :(

I actually found an alternative to those golf ball filled pillows: I request both feather pillows and extra pillows. I get four nice feather pillows now. Those regular ones are atrocious!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

We were on the Royal Princess for 20 days in October and the pillows were very comfortable (the best of any cruise we've been on).

That is nice to know, in case I ever sail that ship. I am sure the Regal Princess has lovely beds also. But we are talking about the beds on the older ships here. Ruby, Crown, Star, Golden, Sapphire, etc. all have horrific beds and pillows.

Edited by cvpends

That is nice to know, in case I ever sail that ship. I am sure the Regal Princess has lovely beds also. But we are talking about the beds on the older ships here. Ruby, Crown, Star, Golden, Sapphire, etc. all have horrific beds and pillows.

I have no doubt that some cruisers have problems with the bedding since I read faithfully read the postings on this forum but I have problems with comments like "all have horrific beds and pillows." Such a sweeping generalization just isn't true. We were on 4 Ruby cruises in 2014 and had no problems with the beds -- they were comfortable pillow tops in 3 mini-suites and 1 full suite. Actually we haven't had a bad bed since the pillowtops were introduced and that includes 1 cruise on the Sapphire, 1 on the Coral, 1 on the Caribbean, 4 on the Ruby and 3 on the Royal.

Now the pillows were no where near as nice as on the Royal (hence my husband's reaction :p). Yes, the Royal bed was fine.

Edited by capriccio