Anytime dining

kwahl1

Not sure why I'm asking. We are not on any of these ship. I was noticing in on of the email I received, pushing the different dining options and venues on our upcoming Princess Grand cruise. Anytime Dining explained and then I notice this N/A statement at the end "Not available on Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess (while in Australia), Ocean Princess or Pacific Princess. Not available on Diamond Princess while in Japan."

Is this personality thing with the Aussies and Japanese? Do theses nationalities require set times for dinner? Do these nationalities require the same eight people at the table to eat dinner? Y'all can come on my cruise and eat whenever you want, with whoever you want or just with your spouse if you want.

Just a strange restriction I thought. Won't affect who we sit on the Grand.:rolleyes:

Not sure why I'm asking. We are not on any of these ship. I was noticing in on of the email I received, pushing the different dining options and venues on our upcoming Princess Grand cruise. Anytime Dining explained and then I notice this N/A statement at the end "Not available on Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and Sea Princess (while in Australia), Ocean Princess or Pacific Princess. Not available on Diamond Princess while in Japan."

Is this personality thing with the Aussies and Japanese? Do theses nationalities require set times for dinner? Do these nationalities require the same eight people at the table to eat dinner? Y'all can come on my cruise and eat whenever you want, with whoever you want or just with your spouse if you want.

Just a strange restriction I thought. Won't affect who we sit on the Grand.:rolleyes:

I believe the Sun/Dawn/Sea/Ocean/Pacific don't have the room for AT dining.

Diamond is probably the culture/market.

Is this personality thing with the Aussies and Japanese? Do theses nationalities require set times for dinner?

It will be interesting to see what happens when Emerald goes to Australia.

It has to do anytime, as there are not enough seats to seat everyone

in two seatings.

Maybe it has more to do with the fact that the Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess (at least, I don't know about the others) only have 2 dining rooms?

On my short Golden Princess cruise out of Sydney I found quite a queue for ATD at 8pm, no queue at all at 6pm. At 6pm the dining room had mostly either very old people or families with little kids. So I'm not sure the early dining theory stacks up, not in warmer weather anyway when all the Aussies I know would rather be out on deck with a beer while it's still light.

Having seen and loved the flexibility of ATD, the lack of it is probably the thing I'm least looking forward to on my upcoming Sun cruise.

I believe the Sun/Dawn/Sea/Ocean/Pacific don't have the room for AT dining.
My first experience with Anytime Dining with Princess was on the Dawn Princess when it was still sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. One of the dining rooms (don't remember which one) was converted to Anytime. They took tables for 4 and put a divider in the middle of the table to turn them into "tables for 2". It was quite funny to see.

Maybe it has more to do with the fact that the Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess (at least, I don't know about the others) only have 2 dining rooms?
The Coral and Island Princess also have only 2 dining rooms, and they have Anytime Dining. Half of one dining room is set up for Anytime at 5:30PM. The other half is used for the other early traditional seating. At 7:30PM, the entire dining room becomes Anytime.

With the two small Princess boats there is really only one main dining room so Princess can only do the one type - fixed time sittings.

With SUN, SEA & DAWN they have two main dining rooms and when in Europe or US they offered fixed time dining in one, and anytime dining in the other.

In Australian waters it is not Australians, rather a lazy Princess Australia who are just too lazy to offer both dining options. Some claim the ships are not suitable, BUT there was no problem before these hand me downs were fobbed off to down under, so it is bs and Princess being too lazy .

With the two small Princess boats there is really only one main dining room so Princess can only do the one type - fixed time sittings.

With SUN, SEA & DAWN they have two main dining rooms and when in Europe or US they offered fixed time dining in one, and anytime dining in the other.

In Australian waters it is not Australians, rather a lazy Princess Australia who are just too lazy to offer both dining options. Some claim the ships are not suitable, BUT there was no problem before these hand me downs were fobbed off to down under, so it is bs and Princess being too lazy .

I cannot think of any other reason why so perhaps it is a Princess call like you say.

Lazy sound 'bout right. But what's up with the Japan cruising? Hmmm

Its nothing to do with dining preferences of Australians, its just Princess Australia being LAZY .

I am not sure if they are lazy as the waiters and such still have to serve just as many passengers with two traditional sittings as with the two TDs and the Anytime dining. That said, I have no idea what the reason would be.

Its a $$$ decision.

Yep. Nothing cultural about that!

Yes, and for the Japanese cruises the majority would likely be Japanese.

Sure. And Australian culture and Japanese culture have little common ground. Not a cultural decision at all.

Edited by Pushka

Anytime worked just fine on the Dawn on the San Francisco to Sydney repo in 2008. This is the major reason we don't really sail on the Aussie Princess ships. Except for a quickie in February to make Elite. Detest traditional dining.