Summit accident in Tortola 2 pass. killed

dkjretired

Our family group of three adults and three six-year old children took a Celebrity Reflection excursion on November 24th from the port in St. Thomas to Magen's Bay beach in an open air bus with no seat belts, shoulder harnesses, and no guardrails on one side of the bus over steep, curvy roads where passengers had to hang on going around corners to avoid being tossed out. Fortunately it was uneventful, but I would not do it again. We were not informed of this mode of transportation prior to the excursion. It is surprising that Celebrity would take such risks with their passengers.

I read it WAS NOT one of their excursions, Had to be either a group of people who got together to go to the beach and tour, Or just people filling the van ... so horrible to have to read about something like this happening.

Right, I knew it was Monroe, are you in Monmouth or Middlesex counties. Wasn't that group a B'nai Brith or something similar.

Don, we are in Middlesex county. Monroe Township sits in the corner of the county, One town over you are in Mercer county and go in the other direction and you will be in Monmouth county. It was a B'nai Brith sponsored trip but any faith could go with them. Four of our best friends were on that trip. It hurt us so much to know that a few days before we were all hugging and wishing them a great trip. Celebrity did a lot for the people in that group that stayed on the ship until the cruise was over. No one had a bad thing to say about Celebrity. I pray that the families of this tragedy have the same treatment from Celebrity.

Pat

Wow, you never know.

We will be on the Summit in May 2016 to Bermuda.

CaptDave

There is always a risk taking some of these excursions. The roads on some of these volcanic islands are narrow and steep in places. Even in Bermuda, the roads are so narrow. We take the excursions and buses, but close our eyes at times.

Human error - It's not the road. I've seen pick-up truck modified to look like safari vehicle (approved by whom?) with half the lug nut missing from the bald front tire (have picture from our 2013 trip to Tortola to prove this).

I have not heard the cause yet (will not for a while I"m sure) but these are accidents waiting to happen.

Sad for the families.

And here is probably the worst accident off a Celebrity ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=319121&highlight=chile+passengers+killed

If my memory serves me properly this was an independent excursion not associated with the cruise line. Most of those killed were from the Monmouth County, NJ area where I lived at the time.

Yes I remember that one well; I was on the ship :( It was indeed an independent excursion.

CANE GARDEN BAY, Tortola, VI - Police moments ago confirmed that this morning’s December 6, 2015 accident at Cane Garden Bay, a story first and accurately reported by Virgin Islands News Online, resulted in two deaths and 18 injured.

The accident, involving a tour bus, took place in the vicinity of Round Hill.

“Police are confirming a lone-vehicle traffic collision late this morning involving a tour bus while the bus was descending the Cane Garden Bay Hill. Of the 20 passengers aboard, 18 were taken to Peebles Hospital for treatment; two were pronounced dead at the scene. The driver was uninjured,” said a press release from the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF).

It said that Police, BVI Fire and Rescue and medical personnel all attended the scene. It said too that members of the BVI Tourist Board and cruise ship personnel were also in attendance both at the scene and at the hospital to provide needed assistance to passengers.

“Police have also assigned a Police Liaison Officer to work along with the cruise line, the Tourist Board and families while investigations are ongoing,” said the release.

The Police confirmed that all 20 passengers were visitors aboard the cruise ship Celebrity Summit.

“The cause of the collision is still under investigation therefore the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force is asking persons to be respectful with their comments and postings as relatives are being notified and investigations are ongoing,” the release said.

See previous article published on December 6, 2015:

Bus transporting tourists crashes in CGB, two killed, several injured

CANE GARDEN BAY, Tortola, VI- (Post Time: 12:15pm) At least two persons were said to have been killed and several others injured as a bus transporting tourists to Cane Garden Bay beach ended up in an accident along Cane Garden Bay Hill around 11:30am today, December 6, 2015.

According to reports, the bus lost control along the area near Round Hill.

It is not clear how exactly the accident occurred along the steep and wet roadway.

Police Information Officer Diane Drayton has confirmed that two persons have died as a result of the accident.

Medical personnel, fire officers and police are on the scene.

More details to follow shortly.

800x_8_800x_i_IMG20151206WA0004.jpg

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/update-police-confirm-2-dead-18-injured-in-cgb-tourist-bus-accident

Edited by RSWBADGER

And here is probably the worst accident off a Celebrity ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=319121&highlight=chile+passengers+killed

If my memory serves me properly this was an independent excursion not associated with the cruise line. Most of those killed were from the Monmouth County, NJ area where I lived at the time.

I remember that horrible accident as well. Two family friends were killed. It is never far from my thoughts when I book any excursions on a cruise.

My thoughts are with all of the families affected by this recent tragedy.

Celebrity Cruises said two of its passengers on the Celebrity Summit were killed in Tortola, British Virgin Islands, on Dec. 6 in a bus accident that also injured 16 other people, two critically.

“Our ship’s captain and others have gone to the hospital in order to respond to this terrible incident, and our response is being coordinated with local officials and our Miami headquarters,” Celebrity said in a statement.

According to cruise line, the passengers did not purchase the tour from Celebrity Cruises.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Tourists-killed-in-bus-crash-in-British-Virgin-Islands

Edited by RSWBADGER

I also offer my condolences to the families of those who were killed and to the remaining passengers who were injured a speedy recovery. So sad for people to be enjoying a holiday and for something tragic like this to happen, and so close to Christmas. I enjoy life to the fullest with my beloved family and friends, this has been my motto for years and will continue to be -- you just don't know what life has in store for you every time you step out your front door.

Wishing a speedy recovery to those who were injured and heartfelt condolences to the families of those who were killed in this tragic accident.

I'm surprised by the photo above, I assumed it rolled over or went into a ravine.

Prayers to all involved.

I would suspect it did not have seatbelts other than the driver or people were not wearing them. The damage to the vehicle is not apparent from the photo so as you mention it may have rolled over and people were thrown inside the van. I am sure we will learn soon enough and if that is the case tours may be required to have seat belts in the future.

We will be on the Summit in January and usually take the open buses over to Cane Bay. The road is very steep and not sure if we go there this year. It doesn't look like this was one of the open bus. So sad. Our thoughts are with all the injured and families of the two who lost their lives

Ontario Cruiser

It doesn't matter if it was a ship's tour or not. Celebrity excursions have had accidents too so people aren't any safer on their excusions. Ontario Cruiser

True!

However, had it been a Celebrity excursion the ambulance-chasing lawyers would be drooling already ;)

True!

However, had it been a Celebrity excursion the ambulance-chasing lawyers would be drooling already ;)

Already done, post #8 has the link, he had a message out within about an hour in which he mentioned he represented Summit passengers in the past. Very subtile advertising that has been done in the past.

Edited by dkjretired

Dead tourists identified as Americans; 14 released from hospital

While disclosing that the two female tourists killed in the tour bus accident on Sunday have been identified as American citizens, the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) has said that of the18 passengers who were immediately hospitalized after the accident, 14 have since been discharged.

Meanwhile, the police also noted that two of the remaining four injured passengers are still admitted at Peebles Hospital, while the other two have been flown overseas for treatment.

“Fourteen of the passengers taken to Peebles Hospital following (Sunday) morning’s tour bus collision were released and – except the families of the deceased and injured – all re-boarded the cruise ship which has since left the territory for its next destination,” said Police Information Officer, Diane Drayton in a press release yesterday afternoon.

While commenting on the four tourists who were still hospitalized, she said two of them were expected to be released yesterday.

“Four passengers – three females and one male – had been detained in Peebles Hospital. Two of the females were flown overseas for further treatment (and) the other two (patients) are expected to be released from hospital today.”

Deceased are Americans

Shedding light on the two females who lost their lives, she said they are both Americans citizens, ages 53 and 67. Drayton stated, however, that their names are still being withheld at this time.

“The two who died as a result of injuries sustained in the collision were also females ages 53 and 67 and both were Americans. The names of the deceased are not being released at this time.”

As far as investigations into the crash is concerned, she added that investigators have since removed the tour bus from the accident scene in Cane Garden Bay and secured it in preparation for inspection.

In the meantime, it is reported that a total of 20 tourists were traveling in the ill-fated bus on Sunday when the accident occurred around 11:am.

The tourists were all passengers on the cruise ship Celebrity Summit which was anchored at the cruise pier in Road Town at the time.

http://bvinews.com/new/dead-tourists-identified-as-americans-14-released-from-hospital/