Extending C&A Benefit to Significant Other

SelectSys

Children are allowed in the CL. You have to accompany him, though.

Very true. We are suite cruisers, but honestly don't take him there. I was focusing on the D lounge though as the discussion has been mainly based upon the D lounge.

We had almost a hundred pinnacle members on our last cruise, and about 900 diamond and up. Getting a diamond plus status with significant other doesn't bother me. But if they split up, the significant t other status should revert to whatever it would be based on cruise history. So he/she can't give diamond status to his significant other until he's earned it himself

No need to exaggerate.

:)

Royal had the chance to resolve this issue back in 2011 when their changed the way that points where awarded, simple by saying everyone has to earn their C&A levels in their own right.

I think I’m right in saying that to be D you had to complete ten cruises Royal at the time awards 1 point for a 7- 10 day cruise but if you did a 3 day cruise you still got 1 point this was a major complaint by a lot for people that took the longer cruise.

Royal allowed everyone that had reached the D level to remain at D but reset their points to the amount of nights that they had spent at sea so that someone taking 10, 3 night cruise would only have 30 points meaning that reaching D+ was a lot further away then someone taking 10, 7 night cruises.

As to the OP spouse / SO being automatically being the same status is it right IMO no everyone should earn the right by cruising the required number of nights at sea but until Royal change the rules that it has in place people will continue to exploit the loophole that Royal has created. In regards to children cruising with their parents the parents are paying the price as if it was an adult I have no problem with that.

Are the D lounges become over crowded yes and the 3 drinks on the card has not solved the issue, will Royal make more changes in a attempt to solve the issue at some point IMO yes it will, what these changes will be no one knows, some changes to benefits for being D / D+ have already taken place and most are not for the better.

Status will only be extended to children or significant others, not sisters.

Actually, any family member with the same address receives the same status. This happened with my MIL when I enrolled her. Also, my son linked his fiance (same address) while on a cruise, and she received the benefits immediately.

Are the D lounges become over crowded yes and the 3 drinks on the card has not solved the issue, will Royal make more changes in a attempt to solve the issue at some point IMO yes it will, what these changes will be no one knows, some changes to benefits for being D / D+ have already taken place and most are not for the better.

If we finally reach to the point that there are already so many D's (since D's are constantly growing but the lounges aren't) and RCCL has to finally take action, which do action you think is more acceptable:

Kick out all D's from the D lounge and only give us 3 free drinks (similar to the Celebrity model - Elites no longer have access to Michael's Club and they just are given 3 free drink coupons instead of Elite cocktail reception if there are too many elites on that sailing)

OR

De-congest the D lounge by removing those who just inherited the status from their parents. (but retain the spouse) So the children status' will be based their actual number of points earned when they reach 18. (this will actually encourage them to take more cruises to reach Diamond in their own right)

Whether we like it or not, it will come to this soon.. so which of the 2 do you think is more fair to all members?

Edited by roquejo

If we finally reach to the point that there are already so many D's (since D's are constantly growing but the lounges aren't) and RCCL has to finally take action, which do action you think is more acceptable:

Kick out all D's from the D lounge and only give us 3 free drinks (similar to the Celebrity model - Elites no longer have access to Michael's Club and they just are given 3 free drink coupons instead of Elite cocktail reception if there are too many elites on that sailing)

OR

De-congest the D lounge by removing those who just inherited the status from their parents. (but retain the spouse) So the children status' will be based their actual number of points earned when they reach 18. (this will actually encourage them to take more cruises to reach Diamond in their own right)

Whether we like it or not, it will come to this soon.. so which of the 2 do you think is more fair to all members?

IMO Royal should go one step further and anyone that has inherited their C&A status should have it re-evaluated and their status re-assigned to the number of nights that they have sailed, people will always look for ways the bend or even break rules, sign someone up to C&A say that their live at your address and BINGO they will receive the status that they IMO are not entitled to.

... Royal allowed everyone that had reached the D level to remain at D but reset their points to the amount of nights that they had spent at sea ...

This is not how the conversion to points was done. Royal did not look at the nights at sea at all. They only used cruise credits to do the conversion:

If credits were 1-4, points = credits * 7 + 1

If credits were 5-7, points = credits * 7 + 3

If credits were > 7, points = credits * 7 + 13

RCCL won't want to pay the overhead to have their systems changed to re-examine grandfathered members. They will most likely change the points required to make D and D+, and limit access to the lounges. Right now they are making suites only lounges on new and "revitalized" ships. This frees up the CL for D/D+ members. No programming; just tweak the policy, covert space during drydock, re-purpose existing space, and Voila!, you've got a "refurbished" upper tier program.

Edited by pcur

Actually, any family member with the same address receives the same status. This happened with my MIL when I enrolled her. Also, my son linked his fiance (same address) while on a cruise, and she received the benefits immediately.

Your son and his fiancé living at the same address would fall under the significant other rule. Great that your MIL was able to share your status but that would be an exception and not the norm.

RCCL won't want to pay the overhead to have their systems changed to re-examine grandfathered members. They will most likely change the points required to make D and D+, and limit access to the lounges. Right now they are making suites only lounges on new and "revitalized" ships. This frees up the CL for D/D+ members. No programming; just tweak the policy, covert space during drydock, re-purpose existing space, and Voila!, you've got a "refurbished" upper tier program.

It would probably be easier just to change the benefits. Associated with certain point levels than it would be to change the level at which one attains D and D+. At the end of the day it will be the same result...it will take you longer to earn certain benefits.

I am in Information Technology by profession, and you don't need programming or revitalized ships to do this.

A senior IT staff just need to run a few database queries (or commands) to update their records.

First select all diamond members and above whose points are less than 80 who are not native Celebrity's captain's club elite members or Azama's Le Club Voyage Discoverer members or above.

Then from those records update their statuses corresponding to their real points level.

Viola!!! This will remove all Diamond and up members who got their status not from points except those by reciprocity from Celebrity and Azamara.

It is that easy and can be done in less than an hour.

Edited by roquejo

Your son and his fiancé living at the same address would fall under the significant other rule. Great that your MIL was able to share your status but that would be an exception and not the norm.

It was a strange deal. I went online and used the link to enroll other family members. She had been one one cruise with us already, and I thought she might like the Gold bennies. We always use our address as her mailing address, so she doesn't get confused with junk mail (plus keeps the scammy stuff away from her). At 92 her judgement isn't all that great. Even with her correct birthday, I guess the same last name and address triggered the D+ status. She had a wonderful last cruise, since she is not able to go now.

I am in Information Technology by profession, and you don't need programming or revitalized ships to do this.

A senior IT staff just need to run a few database queries (or commands) to update their records.

First select all diamond members and above whose points are less than 80 who are not native Celebrity's captain's club elite members or Azama's Le Club Voyage Discoverer members or above.

Then from those records update their statuses corresponding to their real points level.

Viola!!! This will remove all Diamond and up members who got their status not from points except those by reciprocity from Celebrity and Azamara.

It is that easy and can be done in less than an hour.

As a retired IT Project Manager, I know it's a simple fix. However, RCCL is notorious for not funding projects that won't make them money. C&A is at the bottom of the queue. It took months just to get the amenity lists reloaded, and THAT'S a 1 minute task. The lists didn't change; they just had it at the bottom of the Change Request queue after someone forgot to upload them.

The ship revitalizing is happening anyway, so I figure they will piggyback the upper tier shuffle at that time. They are already doing it on the newly commissioned ships.

Edited by pcur

Are you kidding? A simple review of their members database by an outside firm is much cheaper and less hassle than changing the entire points system plus overhauling their existing plus quite expensive ships.

To put it in perspective, Royal had 5 million cruisers in 2014. Delta had 130 million flight passengers. If they can re-haul their club access (assuming that only 10% of Delta flight passengers used or had access to the sky clubs; even then that's a small figure and still double the royal passengers) then RCI can easily do the same.

Edited by cruisevv

Are you kidding? A simple review of their members database by an outside firm is much cheaper and less hassle than changing the entire points system plus overhauling their existing plus quite expensive ships.

To put it in perspective, Royal had 5 million cruisers in 2014. Delta had 130 million flight passengers. If they can re-haul their club access (assuming that only 10% of Delta flight passengers used or had access to the sky clubs; even then that's a small figure and still double the royal passengers) then RCI can easily do the same.

Well, actually, no I'm not kidding. As I've stated twice in this fairly short thread, and apologies for redundancy RCCL IS ALREADY MODIFYING THEIR SHIPS WITH SUITE-ONLY LOUNGES (with Pinnacles included,I think).

So, instead of paying anybody to do any non-revenue producing database work, or system updates, the EXISTING Concierge and Diamond Lounges can be reassigned (and possibly reSIGNED) to accommodate existing upper tier levels.

It was a strange deal. I went online and used the link to enroll other family members. She had been one one cruise with us already, and I thought she might like the Gold bennies. We always use our address as her mailing address, so she doesn't get confused with junk mail (plus keeps the scammy stuff away from her). At 92 her judgement isn't all that great. Even with her correct birthday, I guess the same last name and address triggered the D+ status. She had a wonderful last cruise, since she is not able to go now.

I would agree that it's the same address. We enrolled my mom , same last name , same e mail but different address and she didn't get linked.

Well, actually, no I'm not kidding. As I've stated twice in this fairly short thread, and apologies for redundancy RCCL IS ALREADY MODIFYING THEIR SHIPS WITH SUITE-ONLY LOUNGES (with Pinnacles included,I think).

So, instead of paying anybody to do any non-revenue producing database work, or system updates, the EXISTING Concierge and Diamond Lounges can be reassigned (and possibly reSIGNED) to accommodate existing upper tier levels.

This is patterned after Celebrity where Michael's Club is only for suite guests and Zeniths.

But RCCL still has the Diamond lounges for D/D+ unlike Celebrity where Elite and Elite+ has no lounge and is only limited to 3 drink coupons a day for Elite heavy sailings like TA.

Note that RCCL is going for the Suite lounge, Diamond Lounge setup on ships like Oasis classes that usual sails Diamond heavy markets like TA, US and Europe.

Other markets where RCCL leads like in Asia still retains the old concierge lounge for D+'s and suites and Diamond lounge for D's. One reason is these new markets are still new so very few Diamonds, the 2nd is these markets really don't drink (mostly hot water/tea but gambles a lot), so Diamond lounge, as well as the ship's bars are almost empty... one incentive to sail Asia for D members is the lounge is really quiet, exclusive and private, plus you get special attention from the concierge since you are so few...

Edited by roquejo

Just let the people who run Royal continue to do so.. They are keeping their shareholders happy and at the end of the day that is what matters [emoji12]Everything else is just a reaction to fluctuating markets. If and when the cruise market slows again you loyalty freaks will get the attention you so desperately desire, until then you are not and will not be the main attraction. They understand THEIR customer very well and tier/market accordingly regardless of these opinion boards which are hardly peer insights. But then again, everyone likes to play CEO.

Edited by CaribSailor

I do have to weigh in here with my two cents on something of the opposite side of the coin....

When I married my now ex-husband, I was already a C&A member and had earned my status all by myself by cruising. When we married, he inherited my Diamond status even though he had never stepped foot on a ship. Which at the time, I was grateful for.

However, when we divorced and I called C&A to remove him from my household, I was told that he would retain his Diamond status even though he had only sailed himself approx 28 nights. I was told that in order for him to achieve Diamond + he'd have to reach that status with his own cruising point.

It irked me (and honestly still does today, years later and even though I'm happily married to someone else) that he retained a status earned only by his affiliation with me even after that affiliation ended.

On a second note, my current husband and I are taking our son on his very first cruise this month. I was told by C&A that he cannot sign up for C&A until he has completed this cruise and that he will not reap any of the Diamond benefits on this cruise but that he will be linked with the status for his next cruises as long as he is still in our household. Once he moves out of the household, he will go to the status that he has actually earned.

... On a second note, my current husband and I are taking our son on his very first cruise this month. I was told by C&A that he cannot sign up for C&A until he has completed this cruise and that he will not reap any of the Diamond benefits on this cruise but that he will be linked with the status for his next cruises as long as he is still in our household. Once he moves out of the household, he will go to the status that he has actually earned.

Unless the policy has had a major change lately, this is not how it works. Once the child reaches the age of 18, they retain the level that the parents had on the child's 18th birthday.

This is patterned after Celebrity where Michael's Club is only for suite guests and Zeniths.

But RCCL still has the Diamond lounges for D/D+ unlike Celebrity where Elite and Elite+ has no lounge and is only limited to 3 drink coupons a day for Elite heavy sailings like TA.

Note that RCCL is going for the Suite lounge, Diamond Lounge setup on ships like Oasis classes that usual sails Diamond heavy markets like TA, US and Europe.

Other markets where RCCL leads like in Asia still retains the old concierge lounge for D+'s and suites and Diamond lounge for D's. One reason is these new markets are still new so very few Diamonds, the 2nd is these markets really don't drink (mostly hot water/tea but gambles a lot), so Diamond lounge, as well as the ship's bars are almost empty... one incentive to sail Asia for D members is the lounge is really quiet, exclusive and private, plus you get special attention from the concierge since you are so few...

Interesting information. Makes sense.

On a second note, my current husband and I are taking our son on his very first cruise this month. I was told by C&A that he cannot sign up for C&A until he has completed this cruise and that he will not reap any of the Diamond benefits on this cruise but that he will be linked with the status for his next cruises as long as he is still in our household. Once he moves out of the household, he will go to the status that he has actually earned.[/quote]

Unless the policy has had a major change lately, this is not how it works. Once the child reaches the age of 18, they retain the level that the parents had on the child's 18th birthday.

I think a better explanation (OMG I am helpting Bob:eek:) is that the DS will maintain his status (up to Diamond Plus) that he has from his parents up until the age 18. The DS will drop to his actual sailing points at 18 (for example 45) but maintain the D+ label. He then has to continue to earn his points cruise by cruise until he surpases his "gifted" level from mom and dad.

I hope I explained that clearly.:)

I will take Royal's way of calculating points anyday over Princess. People can take 3-4 days cruises and get the same points as I did taking a 14 day cruise. To me that isn't fair. It would cost me way too much in travel to go take a bunch of 3-4 day cruises to get status quicker and I am done with Princess anyway except for Alaska.

Agreed.

I don't understand how parents are getting the same status just because of an address. My son lives with me but is not my same status. (He is status earned as of 18th bday)

I think a better explanation (OMG I am helpting Bob:eek:) is that the DS will maintain his status (up to Diamond Plus) that he has from his parents up until the age 18. The DS will drop to his actual sailing points at 18 (for example 45) but maintain the D+ label. He then has to continue to earn his points cruise by cruise until he surpases his "gifted" level from mom and dad.

I hope I explained that clearly.:)

Yes, the other poster should not say the status will drop, but the points will "drop" (revert to points actually earned).

Edited by marci22