Shore Excursions - Rush to Book?

gemz

The online Shore Excursion site shows the number of available spots and I prefer to book the excursions when I'm on the cruise rather than pre-book and have problems cancelling it should something come up. Does Princess set aside more spots for passengers who prefer to book when on the ship? In the past I've always booked on the ship and I only need 2 spots and it isn't like I need 10 spots.

Whenever booking Princess tours I do it as soon as possible which locks in the lowest price (have seen substantial price increases closer to sailing or during a cruise) and Princess has a great cancellation policy. You have until about 36 hours before tours to cancel without penalty (except for limited expensive tours such as flightseeing to Antarctica or tours to Machu Piccchu).

The online Shore Excursion site shows the number of available spots and I prefer to book the excursions when I'm on the cruise rather than pre-book and have problems cancelling it should something come up. Does Princess set aside more spots for passengers who prefer to book when on the ship? In the past I've always booked on the ship and I only need 2 spots and it isn't like I need 10 spots.

If there is an excursion we are interested in, we will book pre-cruise, as most times it will be full by the time we board the ship. If we decide we really wanted something different it is really easy to turn in the excursion tickets once onboard. No problems cancelling them if done soon once onboard.

If there is an excursion we are interested in, we will book pre-cruise, as most times it will be full by the time we board the ship. If we decide we really wanted something different it is really easy to turn in the excursion tickets once onboard. No problems cancelling them if done soon once onboard.

As long as the excursion isn't on the first sea day, they normally only allow a refund on cancellation with 24 hours notice. For some excursions you need even longer than the 24 hours.

The popular tours are often sold out and can have a long waiting list well before the ship sails. I have heard of people finding that a particular tour is sold out very quickly after they become available.

I strongly advise you to book what you want. It is very easy to cancel on board and get a full credit. You are not charged for the tours when you book. After the cruise starts the cost of the tours you have booked will be debited to your on-board account, payable at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

If you think it through some shore excursions may easily be expanded by the cruise line by adding an extra coach etc. eg. Rome on your own, however other excursions will have a definite maximum number of people due to the facility having a limited capacity. eg. Dune Buggies or Horses. If you think the latter is applicable I should book those immediately.

Regards John

I agree with others -- there is no downside to pre-booking any excursion you may be interested in. Why chance not getting the choice you want by waiting? You don't have to pay in advance (currently anyway) and it's easy to cancel if you change your mind. Plus as someone else mentioned, sometimes the prices go up, and by booking early, you lock in your price. We have an excursion booked for an upcoming cruise that has gone up $15 per person since we booked.

Plus, why spend precious vacation time standing in the shore excursion line?? I have better things to do:)

Lastly, I like to know what excursions I'm doing so I can pack accordingly. If we're going on a snorkel trip, I pack gear. If we're going off-roading, I bring appropriate clothing and gloves. You get the picture.

I agree with others -- there is no downside to pre-booking any excursion you may be interested in. Why chance not getting the choice you want by waiting? You don't have to pay in advance (currently anyway) and it's easy to cancel if you change your mind. Plus as someone else mentioned, sometimes the prices go up, and by booking early, you lock in your price. We have an excursion booked for an upcoming cruise that has gone up $15 per person since we booked.

Plus, why spend precious vacation time standing in the shore excursion line?? I have better things to do:)

Lastly, I like to know what excursions I'm doing so I can pack accordingly. If we're going on a snorkel trip, I pack gear. If we're going off-roading, I bring appropriate clothing and gloves. You get the picture.

Good points, as mentioned you can opt to pay once on board Unlike some other cruise lines where you need to pay at the time of booking.:D

We also have seen shorex prices increase after we booked them online. Princess will honor the price when it is booked so we have saved some $$.

This is a win situation for the pax. You can book ahead of time locking in the price and then pay for it once on board. If you change your mind (and we have), it is easy to cancel the reservation by simply dropping the coupons that were in your stateroom when you boarded in the appropriate slot at the shorex desk. Up until perhaps a few days before you actually sail, you can go online to your cruise account and cancel any reservations. Princess makes it very easy. We always book usually as soon as it opens.

How far in advance does Princess generally open up shore excursion bookings? We're doing a TA in October 2016.

Thank you,

Laurie

This is my first cruise on Princess, so I don't know if it's typical, but for my July 2016 Alaska cruise, the excursions are already open and booking. It also said that I had to pay in advance or my reservation would not be honored. I wanted to use some of my OBC, so I looked pretty carefully, plus I have seen a couple of other threads mentioning they ran into the same thing. I still have one item to book and when I click it says "Reservations not made until payment is received"

I am actually doing 2 excursions that are not Princess and one that is- since the one through Princess is the one I promised my son, I didn't want to risk it selling out, so went ahead and booked.

This is my first cruise on Princess, so I don't know if it's typical, but for my July 2016 Alaska cruise, the excursions are already open and booking. It also said that I had to pay in advance or my reservation would not be honored. I wanted to use some of my OBC, so I looked pretty carefully, plus I have seen a couple of other threads mentioning they ran into the same thing. I still have one item to book and when I click it says "Reservations not made until payment is received"

I am actually doing 2 excursions that are not Princess and one that is- since the one through Princess is the one I promised my son, I didn't want to risk it selling out, so went ahead and booked.

It's been reported here on CC that Princess is doing a trial program of requiring pre-payment of shore excursions on *some* Alaska cruises. We are hoping it doesn't become permanent -- up until now the cancellation policy has been a perk of Princess. As you stated, if they change the policy, the use of OBC for excursions will go away:(

if they change the policy, the use of OBC for excursions will go away:(

Thats too bad. :(

And if they require prepayment & we're unable to use OBC unless we wait until boarding the ship (less availability & many times higher cost) that will be a factor we'll consider when deciding whether Princess is still our best cruise option.