Shorter cruise attire

De Colores

This is our first short 4 day cruise over Christmas. We have always done 7-10 day cruise and have no idea what to pack. What is the typical attire. Are there any formal nights? I was thinking business attire for Christmas day and casual-dressy attire for the other 3 nights. Would love some imput.

Thanks..

This is our first short 4 day cruise over Christmas. We have always done 7-10 day cruise and have no idea what to pack. What is the typical attire. Are there any formal nights? I was thinking business attire for Christmas day and casual-dressy attire for the other 3 nights. Would love some imput.

Thanks..

You're already over-packed and over-dressed. On the 3-4 night cruises (known as booze cruises) everyone will be wearing just shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops. Many will be wearing their beach cover-up so they don't have to change into and out of their bathing suit all the time. There is 1 formal night and hardly anybody dresses for it. Mostly the older distinguished gentlemen will be in suits or a **gasp** tux. Be still my beating heart...have to look hard to find Bond, James Bond on formal night on the short cruises.

Thank you for your imput. I won't be wearing my beach coverup to dinner but this cruise is a de-compress trip for sure. We plan to rest but will plan to pack dress slacks/nice tops. I will wear a nice dress for Christmas night. Definitely no Tux for this trip. We are limited on time and just needed a short break.

Thank you

I won't be wearing my beach coverup to dinner but this cruise is a de-compress trip for sure. We plan to rest but will plan to pack dress slacks/nice tops. I will wear a nice dress for Christmas night. Definitely no Tux for this trip. We are limited on time and just needed a short break.

Sounds phenomenal. Have a great time and Merry Christmas. :)

Just got back from 5 day cruise on the IOS. Had first seating. Did not see one tux on formal night in our DR. Some suits, some jackets and just collared shirts

Very, very informal dress.

Alot of the women were very dressed, but they like to do that

Thanks for the post. I think Hubby will do the jacket but no tie, def not the tux. Iam even rethinking the dress i had planned

We will be on the 12/24-12/28 cruise. Just a quick break. We live in SW Florida so it is easy for us to get to, no kids home this year, we had them at Thanksgiving so a perfect time to escape.

Thank you for the information.

Home Lines MV Atlantic 2/86, Sitmar Fairsky 2/88, Carnival Holiday 2/89, RCCL Nordic Empress 6/91, Explorer of the Seas 2/01, Brilliance OTS 4/18/03, Navigator OTS 4/24/04, Mariner OTS 4/24/05 Mariner OTS 2/5/06, Freedom OTS 4/22/07, Liberty OTS 2/28/09, Celebrity Equinox 12/4/09, Celebrity Solstice 04/18/10, Liberty OTS 11/7/10, Celebrity Equinox 2/18/11, Celebrity Equinox 3/16/12, Reflection of the Seas 11/14

There is no "Reflection of the Seas". ;)

Last year on the Majesty of the Seas a group of twens was rejected on formal night. They wore sports clothes (complete basketball outfit - shorts, sleeveless shirts, caps). The next night (casual) one of the girls wanted to enter the dining room in a cover-up - but that one was a net type where you were able to see everything. She had to redress too.

There were many groups and first timers on that cruise and some groups had their group outfits which in some cases I personally would regard as a costume but not as a casual dinner outfit. Anyway they never had a problem.

steamboats

Hi Mary,

I am taking my 4 adult children plus 1 fiance on this same Christmas cruise. Having lived in Tampa when they were growing up, we're flying into Tampa on Monday to see friends before driving to PC to board the ship on Thursday. I see you not only live in Ft. Myers (my parents retired to Naples), but also Dover. We are in Vermont every summer & one of my sons now lives in Worcester. Have you joined the Roll Call?

Susan

Thanks for the post. I think Hubby will do the jacket but no tie, def not the tux. Iam even rethinking the dress i had planned

We will be on the 12/24-12/28 cruise. Just a quick break. We live in SW Florida so it is easy for us to get to, no kids home this year, we had them at Thanksgiving so a perfect time to escape.

Thank you for the information.

I just don't get it. Why is bringing a tux any different than a jacket and a tie? You will be wearing pants, correct? :eek:

Yes he will have pants on:rolleyes:...don't want to be over dressed..although I have been on many cruises. This trip is all about chilling and destressing. It is a short trip but so glad I have my balcony to wake up to.

I think being Christmas it will be a little more festive than a typical short cruise. I also really don't see a Christmas cruise as destressing. Probably the most stressful time of the year. Watch out for the kiddos

I am thinking it will be less kids as most families wont' want to take their kids on a cruise and bring presents. I am thinking it will be a older crowd. I am hoping I am correct. We sailed Celebrity at Thanksgiving last year and never again due to too many kids. i have kids and love kids but not at this stage..unless they are my own!!!

I am thinking it will be less kids as most families wont' want to take their kids on a cruise and bring presents. I am thinking it will be a older crowd. I am hoping I am correct. We sailed Celebrity at Thanksgiving last year and never again due to too many kids. i have kids and love kids but not at this stage..unless they are my own!!!

You're in for a big surprise. What ship is it?

We are sailing the Independence of the Seas 12/24-12/28. If there are kids i will deal with them. We sailed Celebrity over Thanksgiving last year and it was too much with so many kids and nothing for them to do. RCCL has programs and activities, Celebrity does not cater to kids so they were bored and took over every public room looking for something to do. I have grown kids and cruised with kids for many years. I never let them run the hallways. This trip will let us know if we ever do a holiday cruise again.

You're in for a big surprise. What ship is it?

Ain't that the truth.

We are sailing the Independence of the Seas 12/24-12/28. If there are kids i will deal with them. We sailed Celebrity over Thanksgiving last year and it was too much with so many kids and nothing for them to do. RCCL has programs and activities, Celebrity does not cater to kids so they were bored and took over every public room looking for something to do. I have grown kids and cruised with kids for many years. I never let them run the hallways. This trip will let us know if we ever do a holiday cruise again.

Well good luck. I think the NYE cruise would have less kids.

Have fun