Celebrity Eclipse live observations, 12/13

perditax

Claudia B,

I didn't receive a comment card on Eclipse in July, but I have had them in the past.

They're different now. You can get as many as you need at Guest Relations. I just make it a point now. It means so much. I am kind of a nerd about it - I write some detailed mini review of the person and say good things about them and their work, in specific terms, not just a general "he is good." So if we don't get one to the room I go down and get one.

On our last night in Luminae the sommelier Maggie (who is terrific) came up to us and said because of the nice things I wrote about her she got an extra day off.

For people who work as hard as the crew does, that means a lot and I'm happy to give well-deserving people a little *happy*.

I was on the cruise before you, I was ea sick the last day, will have to check for bonine next time in the US, not available in Canada. Next time for fancy water ask for perrier :p

Bonine is available free anytime from Guest Relations.

Monday 12/13 (sea day)

Day 1 was a little weird for me. It felt like a long, long day (not a bad thing on vacation) and I spent a lot of it writing or walking around the ship, and I’m not sure now I can put things in any kind of order. Especially since I haven’t had caffeine yet. :)

I started the day with room service tea and a croissant. I don’t normally do this because I never know what time I’m going to wake up, and being an insomniac sleep is a luxury. (That said, I always sleep well on cruise ships.) But it was nice having it delivered. The croissants are tiny, by the way, so you’ll want to ask for two. Then I went up to the Sky Lounge to write. I believe I was there until about ten, but ultimately there was a lot of through traffic (it had been deserted yesterday). I use ‘open’ headphones, which means that someone standing close enough would be able to hear some sound leakage, so I packed up and headed to the buffet for a real breakfast. This involved eggs benedict and some “English” breakfast meats (sausage and streaky bacon). I should mention that I can’t eat a lot of carbs because my body would like to regain the 75lbs I lost quite a few years ago, so naturally they are what I beeline for when I’m vacation, so I also had another croissant. I walked around some more after that, and determined that the Solarium was already packed (it and the pool deck would remain that way for the rest of the day, including full hot tubs in the Solarium. So no swimming for me yesterday). I was midship right around the time the roll call cabin crawl started, and even though I had been considering not doing it (I’m shy but also an introvert (which means I’m okay with being shy)), I joined up with them at the last minute. It was interesting seeing some of the other room classes, and they seemed like a nice bunch.

Oh, I also picked up a cafe latte and some bottled water to go at Cafe Al Bacio beforehand. The crawl took about an hour, and I did a lot of walking and stair-climbing, so it was nice to pretend I was burning off all the croissants. Shopping district was very active. Afterwards, I tried to find a different place for writing. The Spa Veranda was deserted, and I think this will be my new backup location, but I didn’t have my laptop with me, and ultimately I spent some time writing in the stateroom. I tried the solarium again in early/mid afternoon, still packed, no way for me to get anywhere near the pool, but the temperature in the solarium was very nice, and I settled on a lounger and watched some television on my iPad. (Oh, I should mention that I had gone to the Solarium intending to lounge and edit the stuff I’d written earlier in the room, but this was the part where the internet finally let me down, and I couldn’t get iPad online at all (so I couldn’t get to my files on dropbox etc). Should have used a wired means of transfer before I left the room.)

(We just docked at Maya Chan. In a while I’ll go down and explore the port. I’m still new enough to cruising that this is a novelty, but my expectations aren’t high.)

Brief tangent: All the crew have been very nice/helpful. Yesterday morning I discovered that a shirt I had rinsed out and hung up to dry in the shower had leaked black dye all over the shower and stained it (meaning it wouldn’t just wipe away). This was a CK t-shirt from Belk; I mention this only because the amount of dye leakage was pretty insane. I’d even washed the shirt at home beforehand (happily, with darks). Maybe something about the ship water? Anyway, I FREAKED OUT, picturing being charged to remodel the shower or something. Then I called Housekeeping and apologetically explained, whereupon I was reassured they had a special cleaner and not to worry about it, so I’m guessing this has happened before. I left an extra tip in the room. They left me a note saying to have a nice day. The shower was like new when I got back.

I also had a good time with two UK crew members at Guest Services when I went to go and admit that I had finally, for the first time, lost my room card. (I was congratulated. Then they told me at least one person had already lost their card before they ever made it onto the ship.) One of them wanted to know all about my Apple Watch, and the other patiently replaced my card while the two of us nerded out over gadgetry for a while. (There was no one in line behind me.)

At 3:30 I went to ‘tea’ at Oceanview. Donuts, pastries, scones and clotted cream. I did have some tea (fields and select). More ship walking. I know I have things very out of order here, and I’m still not really awake. The ship did feel quite full/busy (which makes sense, of course). I would say it felt a little more crowded than the Getaway did on sea days—I think because there are WAAAY more entertainments/activities on GA and people spread out a lot more.

At some point I decided I was going to hang out in the room and write, and then later order room service for dinner. Let me pause and say I can’t figure out any way to find any menus (including room service). There is no room service menu in my room, or if there is it’s very well hidden. The TV system shows some room service menus, but they also say “Menu not available at this time”. I ended up going to take pictures of the menus at the MDR and Blu earlier when trying to decide where to dine. This isn’t a big deal to me, because as I’ve said before I like walking the ship, but it seems very inconvenient of those with limited mobility. Am I overlooking some easy way to see the menus? Spoiled by the apps and info screens on NCL/DCL.

The upshot of all this is … I ended up eating dinner at the buffet anyway. And I finally put my finger on what bugs me about the buffet—there aren’t a lot of proteins that aren’t cooked up into a curry or casserole or something. Dinner is usually when I am craving a steak or some roasted chicken or something, after a day full of bread. They had a few things cooked at the grill station, but they looked very sad and dried out. (And indeed a pork chop I got was very sad and dried out.) There was a roast beef, but no one was manning the carving station at that time and I have the patience of a toddler. Sushi ended up being the winner. The sushi in my (landlocked) town is terrible, so the bar was pretty low, but I enjoyed it. There was nigiri and various rolls, none of the deep-fried stuff that is ubiquitous where I live. I assume it would be naive to think they were using fresh fish, but the rice seemed cooked right (or cooked way righter than it is in my town) and there were a lot of options, plus ginger, soy, chopsticks, wasabi, etc.

Oh—last night was Chic night. I saw a lot of people dressed nicely enough, including what I consider to be ‘formal’ (although no fancy tuxes), to make me feel a bit guilty for having left the room in my white shorts, sandals, top and light sweater. Even in the buffet everyone was dressed WAY up, as compared to the other lines I have been on. I saw only a few other saddies like me in shorts. I really hadn’t expected this in the buffet, and I DID bring dresses and jewelry, and had I been going to any sit-down that night I would have worn them. I still felt bad. I took the forum’s advice and went to cafe al bacio for dessert to go (german chocolate cake, very good) then slunk back to my room to write.

So: for those worried about declining standards—I saw lots of floor length or sparkly gowns, even in the buffet, I saw a lot of men looking either smart or like their significant others had at least talked them into it, and those of us who hadn’t been paying attention stood out like sore thumbs, even in the buffet or the cafe.

I think by tonight I will be ready to go back to Blu, or possibly the MDR after I look at the menus. Oh, side note, I didn’t realize it until it was too late, but in my embarkation papers I had a 50% off coupon for Tuscan Grill (The Italian Stakehouse), good for that night only. Oops! But yeah, the buffet isn’t doing it for me aside from my croissant addiction and the occasional cheese plate. Oh, and breakfast yesterday was good, mostly due to the ready availability of proteins that hadn’t been made into a stew or curry.

I mentioned in my first entry a lack of ‘wow’ factor with the ship, and I didn’t mean to put anyone off with that. The ship is pretty and elegant. But the Disney Dream just gleams, and I feel the Getaway has much better flow. And yes, I do like the LED chandeliers and such on the Getaway. The Eclipse is … pretty but sedate. I know some people consider the NCL ships to be tacky, but look at some interior shots of, for example, the Getaway atrium sometime. It’s gorgeous. And I’m saying this as a person who currently won’t book NCL because they are addicted to bait and switch. Just giving some context for my statement. NCL’s atrium also has a cigarette smoke problem.

Another tangent, yesterday I was given a shopping bag by my room steward. This is a packable canvas bag with a pouch, meant to be taken shopping on port days I guess. It is sturdier than the clothy bag. Does anyone know if I’m supposed to keep this? She also offered to bring me a beach towel (I don’t need one), so that was nice.

Today: check out the port complex and possibly majahual, but likely saving foot stamina for Cozumel. I am hoping to be able to swim on the ship later, if enough people debark for Costa Maya.

Edited by perditax

Since you are in Aqua, why aren't you enjoying breakfast in BLU? We never go to buffet as it is to crowded and we enjoy being served. BLU is known for its wonderful breakfast menu. We do room service every morning when we cruise as we enjoy quiet of balcony (weather permitting).

Have read your entire post and find you quite interesting. Hope you love Celebrity as much as we do. We have 13 Celebrity cruises to date and 2 more in February 2016, and yes we are Elite+ but won't scream it out.

Happy sails to you.

At the front of the ship in the spa area is the Relaxation Room. Big loungers and soft spa type music, and wonderful citrus-infused water you can drink. Windows are wonderful. They use the room on occasion for people awaiting their spa treatments, but anyone can go in there and sit and relax, read, sleep, do needlework, whatever. On our last TA I spent many hours in the Relaxation Room. It'd be a nice place to write.

There should be a blue folder in your cabin with hang tag things with a menu. If you don't see what you like, just write it in. If you want two eggs, don't put a 2, however. You'll get two plates of eggs! You have to kind of work the "code" on room service. We get it on every single port day.

Not sure where daily/nightly menus are posted besides the door outside the actual restaurant. They can show you the next day's menus at dinner.

Your cabin attendants and whoever was so nice and good to you about the color in your shower ---- PLEASE fill out one of those cards and mention them by name! Say some good things about them and they will be compensated in some way with internet time, some time off, as it goes in their file and helps to encourage them. And in turn they become even BETTER employees. If the card isn't in your room, get one at Guest Relations. I do this always on about day 3 of a cruise and then on the last day. Believe me, they really DO get benefits, immediately. I have had crew (that I mentioned on those cards) come to me specifically and tell me and thank me. Well and also additional tips at the end to those who have gone out of their way isn't a bad idea either...

Keep having a great cruise. We've never done buffet for dinner - actually on a two week cruise we might have two meals in the buffet, that's it. But it surprises me that people were that dressed up. One certainly doesn't have to be, but I guess in keeping with the general ambiance of the ship.... we always eat in Blu or Luminae or specialties which have always been smart casual, but we do dress a bit more on (what used to be) formal nights (now chic nights - ?) just to keep with the ambiance.

Talk to the maitre d' at Tuscan and ask for a discount. You'll get one. Might not be 50% but who knows it might. Tell them you didn't take advantage of it and you're a solo traveler.

Just a reminder that Relaxation Room is NOT open to everyone unless spa attendants are lax.

It is reserved for AQ class guests and spa patrons...not sure abt suite guests....AQ perks are diluted enough these days and space in the lounge is limited......

There are other many other nice spots for quiet relaxation...top lounge, solarium, the atrium in daytime...etc.

Edited by hcat

Snit13, I am a somewhat quick eater with a short attention span, and I frequently don't have a big appetite for breakfast till about 10:30 (and sometimes not till later than that). I've read that Blu breakfast is very nice, but I'm afraid it would be lost on me. If they ran breakfast just a bit later I would definitely try it, though.

Oceania Riviera is in port next to us today, no other ships. I did a quick run through the Costa Maya port area, thoughts later. For now I'm going to see about swimming.

PS, if you get hot tea at cafe al bacio to "dine in", make sure they give you two tea bags. I have a large pot of very weak tea in front of me right now due to a single lonely tea bag.

Edit: oh wow, I see earlier I claimed we docked at "maya chan". Obviously we did not. Told you I wasn't awake!

Edited by perditax

Perditax,

Great to hear that you are having a good time. Enjoy your partial "ship day" in port. Those are our favorite days.

If you have dinner in the OV again they will grill you a fish in that same area. I am sure they will freshly grill you anything you wish if you ask. Of course I do not mean they will grill something fresh, but they will grill what they have for you. It is not uncommon for me to see shorts in the OV in the evening. I wonder if the people in the "formal" wear just stopped in to have Sushi? I do this occasionally, but I am more of a Chic guy. For some reason we do not really enjoy dinner in the OV Cafe, but we do enjoy breakfast and lunch outside aft.

As mentioned if you are up early enough you might want to try Blu one day for breakfast. It is a good "change of pace" especially on a rainy day.

Have you noticed that since the resent firmware update the battery life has improved significantly? I notice around 75% battery life when I charge mine each night. I might try getting two days out of each charge one of these days.

Hope you are enjoying your day and congratulations on your weight lose and ability to keep it off. I do love that English bacon when I cruise.

Haha, today is the day, against all logic, other people have decided to hang out in the 'spa balcony'. This is the deck 11, and on deck plans it says "spa balcony". There is something else called the Relaxation Room on deck 12, but I haven't been up there. I'm not sure what the difference is, but for the Deck 11 one, you can sneak up the starboard side stateroom corridor and get into the spa balcony (with the wicker lounges) without having to pass the guardians at the gate who would like to sell you stuff.

Naturally people have chosen to sit right next to me while I type, but I brought along my IEMs (earbuds) so I can at least listen to music while I write.

Oh, the Solarium was pretty empty, so I got in some good swimming time. Just can't seem to zig when everyone else zags for writing. I find nice abandoned spots--when I don't have my laptop with me. (I'm not suggesting other people shouldn't be allowed on the ship, by the way, and I do have a perfectly nice stateroom.)

Enjoying your writing even though I'm a covered up grey hair lady on a scooter. BTW, I would never pull a I am Elite or I need to be admitted to MC. I just enjoy being on the water and watching people.

Have a great cruise and continue the writing.

I am also enjoying the posters observations as a Celebrity Newbie. You get that Elitist attutide on most cruise lines by some guests of all ages. Perhaps the lady passenger "assumed" that she would have a drink package- she may have taken another perk instead. It is such fun growing. However the alternative stinks! LOL

Edited by Cruise a holic

Some hints for you :

The room steward will bring cheese and crackers instead of the canapes if you ask. I like having that little snack as I get dressed for dinner.

Also, if you don't like the prolonged dinners just tell your waiter when you sit down. They really do want to please.

Also try the Aqua Spa Cafe for lunch. There's a different hot item each day. You have to order it from the attendants behind the counter.

I am the one who asked about the GoPro. It's a really small camera and I remember them having them for sale at the photo gallery just above Celebrity Central.

The one I wanted is the new Hero 4.

It's about an inch or so (really tiny).

]

bg-hand-camera-845d8d3cd765001f0762f468766684f4.png

What you're after then is a Hero 4 Session.

Some updates. I may be more coherent now.

I have only been in two port towns prior to today, St. Thomas and Nassau. I’m a shopper, not a beach-er (mostly), so when I saw St. Thomas described as some sort of shopping mecca, I was excited. Then I found out that you could buy three things there: 1) diamonds, 2) cigarettes, 3) booze. I don’t need any of these things. I even got a cab downtown. To a street full of diamond stores. (See my NCL Getaway TR if you want.) And then Nassau … we basically couldn’t get back on the ship fast enough.

So I wasn’t expecting much from Costa Maya, especially since I understand the whole port complex was purpose-built for the cruiselines. But I was kind of pleasantly surprised; lots of little knickknacks, carved figurines, some very inexpensive jewelry like stone and beaded anklets/bracelets ($2 USD), luchador masks, sombreros, hand-painted tree ornaments, wind chimes, etc. (And jewelry stores, of course.) I know it’s still basically tchotchkes, or a word like that, but at least it’s something different to look at besides tanzanite, liquor and t-shirts. The sales folks were somewhat pushy, but not super pushy, and at least one of the stores was busy enough that I could browse unmolested. That said, I’ve heard the prices there are still way jacked up, and I plan to go into downtown San Miguel tomorrow and hit Los Cincos Soles, so I saved my shopping energy for that. Also, there seemed to be a public wifi signal in Costa Maya, but it didn’t work. Overall, the port area wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting, and if I was the kind of person who just wanted to sit in a pool all day with a swim up bar, I would have been fine just staying there at the port. Oh, there’s also a little drugstore there. I bought a bottle of a prescription med (tramadol), for science. (Before you get judgey, or even if you do, I have a scrip, and this stuff is super weak. It was more a matter of intellectual curiosity.) I expected it to be fake, quite honestly, especially because the cashier gave me this WEIRD ENORMOUS CREEPY GRIN when I took out my U.S. cash, but when I got online and googled the name, pill design and manufacturer, it seems to be a legit Mexican pharma company, and the bottle was sealed. If I die from taking them, I will report back.

Overall: Out of my very limited experience, Costa Maya has been the most likely port to actually wring some bucks from me, which gives me hope that Cozumel will be fun shopping and eating times tomorrow.

Speaking of eating: ugh, my body is in full-on carb mode. In normal life, I usually eat two meals a day, pretty heavy on protein/fats/veggies. It only took 48 hours, but my body is now convinced I need wheat every two hours. Croissants this morning, apple turnover at Cafe al Bacio later, a OV lunch that, to be fair, did include some proteins (roasted chicken, a fish that purported to be hake, and some flank steak that was unfortunately the kind of meat that has been injected with saline and preservatives before it’s ever cooked, so it didn’t taste like much but MSG). And some potato salad, which was good. And then I stopped by the OV ice cream bar. Okay, I’m going to be honest here, the ice cream was a letdown. I got a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of praline, and both had a texture that was like ‘ice milk’, if you’re old enough to remember that, meaning icey/crystally, not creamy like premium ice cream. Maybe it was just a bad day.

Wrote a while from the spa veranda thingie on Deck 11, but it became clear that the couple who had set up camp right next to me (even though I was at the far end of an otherwise empty room) were not going to budge all afternoon, and since it was dead silent I assumed my typing became annoying, and after an hour I left. The wife glared at me on the way out. Okay then. Back to the stateroom, more writing there, real headphones cranked way up, view of ocean. I know I mention writing a lot, but if I’m being honest this trip hasn’t been as productive for me as my first cruise (on NCL), in which I got out about 30% of one of the books I’m working on. (I’m unpublished, for what it’s worth, and I’ve just begun querying agents, but I’m realistic to know I will most likely have to self-publish in e-book format.) Just one of those things, sometimes the inspiration strikes and sometimes it doesn’t. When I’m not WRITING writing, I’m editing/organizing notes/timelines/etc.

Today the ship, while in port, has experienced a kind of movement that is new to me. I think what’s happening is that choppy waves are hitting the ship kind of hard, broadside, as we are parallel to the shore. Ish. It feels like airplane turbulence, and sometimes it’s quite jarring and noisy. But where turbulence on an airplane freaks me out, this made me want to go to sleep. I almost took a nap at around four, but instead I got up to have teatime at OV. This turned into a little bit of an adventure—1.5 of the two drinks stations are roped off. Not sure what’s happening, seem like a lot of broken coffee machines or something? So you can only get to one very small bit of one drinks station. It quickly became clear that assembling my tea would be a challenge (lots of people queued up), so I went back to Cafe al Bacio for tea to go. (The premium NA package has definitely been worth it to me.) There’s a barista there who is a little snippy; his only words to me were “What do you want?”. He’s usually more or less like this. The bar staff in general are really not into the eye contact. Probably because people are always screaming about being Elite, or insisting on being given two drinks with one card (I’ve heard the latter literally EVERY time I’ve gone to a normal bar-bar for a bottle of water. “My wife is back in the room, no I don’t have her card”). I don’t know. It’s no big deal, as long as I can get my beverage. Oh, so then I went back to OV because I had already seen the scones there. I had some (honey raisin), and there was also some chocolate mousse. The texture was more like whipped cream, meaning it wasn’t real chocolate mousse, but the flavor was super intensely chocolate, not like the ‘pots de creme’ on day one. Thumbs up. I don’t even want to add up all the carbs so far. Needless to say I’m taking the stairs a lot.

I have a semi-plan of taking a shower when I finish writing this, and trying to be at Blu for opening to see if I can get the same corner table I had on night one. I probably shouldn’t have had the tea snacks.

Oh, Solarium is really nice, even when it’s crowded. The weather is beautiful, not too hot, and the solarium is even borderline cool (especially near the spa entrances). I saw a lot of people just plain sleeping there yesterday afternoon, in the shade, covered up with towels.

For those who have asked about entertainment, I’m sorry but I really haven’t been paying much attention. There’s still the essentially schizophrenic mix of DJs, followed by a lady with a violin, that kind of thing. The live music I do hear does not beckon me closer … and I am a fan of live music. I think I mentioned a whole elevator full of us cracking up at an … interesting … rendition of All Night Long coming from the atrium. I think there’s a production show called Rock City, but I recall looking at youtube videos of it before I left, and it looked pretty … terrifying. And I LIKE trashy rock music. I did go to hear Jim Kennedy speak, but I had a hard time paying attention. No insult to the gentleman, but he himself admitted his presentation material was pretty out of date, and the information he was presenting was extremely remedial, in terms of astronomy. (i.e., explaining that our galaxy is the Milky Way, describing the fact that a billion is a million times a thousand, that stars are balls of burning gas, etc.) Again, no offense is intended, just setting realistic expectations, especially if you’ve been somewhere like Kennedy Space Center or the Smithsonian recently. He seemed like a nice guy, and he enjoyed talking about his family and his history with the cruise line.

I have to re-iterate the disclaimer that I am no NCL cheerleader and right now they do not get my business, but the entertainment on the Getaway was extremely polished and varied, and well-scheduled. If you’re looking for high-energy, professional live entertainment, that’s your line, at least on the new ships. Sail X for other things. Okay, I admit I’m not sure for what. It’s … nice, but the line doesn’t seem to do one particular thing any better than the other two lines I’ve been on. DCL’s service level blows away that of X, at least on my sailings, NCL blows away the entertainment, and the food has been about the same on all lines, with DCL having better croissants and NCL getting a slight edge for a more varied buffet (plus the complimentary Flamingo Grill Cuban venue). I guess X is still ‘classier’, even on this 5-day sailing, so if your aim is a quiet cruise and not having to see too many people with tattoos, this is the one. Also, I believe I have seen a total of three children. Hopefully I don’t summon norwegianwood into the thread with that statement.

Also, there’s grass.

BTW: I'm pretty sure Beyond the Podium guest speaker Jim Kennedy is on board with you. He's a former Director of the Kennedy Space Center, and his talks are just wonderful.

Second the thoughts about Jim Kennedy. He has so many great stories to share.

Enjoy your cruise.

Dear Perditax,

Thank you for your most enjoyable point of view and sharing your trip with us. as a gambler, the casino is all the entertainment we need. By the way, it's the best environment to learn any of the games if one is interested. The dealers are very nice and happy to explain.

Enjoy your trip!

Dear Perditax,

Thank you for your most enjoyable point of view and sharing your trip with us. as a gambler, the casino is all the entertainment we need. By the way, it's the best environment to learn any of the games if one is interested. The dealers are very nice and happy to explain.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks!

I feed the slot machines a few dollars now and then, but I notice they are much crueler than on land.

I've only recently made the mental shift to understanding gambling as a "hobby" (where the losses are the price of having the hobby, like any other hobby has costs). I'm sure this seems obvious but I never "got" it before I started cruising and observed all the people who cruise to gamble. I know from a little reading that if I was smart I'd learn best practices for playing blackjack and give that a try rather than the slots. I think I'd be terrible at poker, or so my significant other tells me. Apparently I'm a bit reactionary. >.>

Chamima, if you're still around, today's daily planner features a shopping insert that has space dedicated to the GoPro Hero 4, says $399.99 in the Photo Gallery. Next time I'm wandering I'll ask if they actually have them.

Edit: it says GoPro hero 4 silver edition. It's not tiny and it doesn't say "session".

Also, not sure if I've seen this mentioned, but there's also an ad that you can gift Internet minutes to your favorite crew member, and that celebrity will kick in an additional 25% extra minutes to them. Apparently this is done in the I lounge.

Edited by perditax