Celebrity Eclipse live observations, 12/13

perditax

yea...the elite thing was funny....if the bartender had looked around and asked if anyone else was elite....probably 60% of the people near by would have raised there hand...lol

Great report.

That poor Elite soul. Did they do nothing for her? Imagine not getting her free drink. She probably forgot that the free Elite drinks (limited selection) are only offered 5PM - 7PM and never on embarkation day. I wonder if Guest Services were able to console her, maybe with a $300 OBC? I feel sorry for her SR attendant. If only people like that knew what entertainment they provide!

Keep up the great writing, giving us all chuckles.

Sorry if you mentioned it before, but who is the present cruise director and activities manager? Going in Feb on the Eclipse and just curious. Is Sue Henning gone now? Have seen her the last two years we have been on the ship.

Also have you seen any decent entertainment in the theater?

Thanks, Joe

Second the thoughts about Jim Kennedy. He has so many great stories to share.

Enjoy your cruise.

Third the thoughts re Jim Kennedy; lots of great stories and a very unassuming man. As a follower of space-related stuff he made my cruise a few years ago when we sat down for a 30 minute chat together.

Sorry if you mentioned it before, but who is the present cruise director and activities manager? Going in Feb on the Eclipse and just curious. Is Sue Henning gone now? Have seen her the last two years we have been on the ship.

Also have you seen any decent entertainment in the theater?

Thanks, Joe

Sue Denning is on vacation at the moment and when she returns mid January, she is going to Mille.

Edited by upwarduk

I'm not sure who the cruise director is; day one announcements were done by someone who sounded very new to public speaking. Otherwise a British sounding gentleman handled the safety drill, and no other announcements really except "gangway on deck 2".

Just a reminder that Relaxation Room is NOT open to everyone unless spa attendants are lax.

It is reserved for AQ class guests and spa patrons...not sure abt suite guests....AQ perks are diluted enough these days and space in the lounge is limited......

There are other many other nice spots for quiet relaxation...top lounge, solarium, the atrium in daytime...etc.

That is correct, however, the OP is sailing Aqua so is perfectly entitled to use this area. I agree, it is a lovely quiet space with wonderful views.

To the OP, this is located on Deck 11 right under the Spa Veranda. I've never seen more than a couple of people in there at any one time so might be a good writing spot for you.

That is correct, however, the OP is sailing Aqua so is perfectly entitled to use this area. I agree, it is a lovely quiet space with wonderful views.

To the OP, this is located on Deck 11 right under the Spa Veranda. I've never seen more than a couple of people in there at any one time so might be a good writing spot for you.

I understood that OP is AQ , but another post said it was open to everyone and that was the reason for my post..

Sometimes it can be full on the orig S class ships and sometimes folks not always quiet! But we really appreciate AQ access to the space..

Sorry I haven't been updating, but it's because I've been having a nice time. I just wanted to mention that I'm checking out Rock City, and they mention that people are ENCOURAGED to record the show and share it on social media. I guess that explains how I saw bits on YouTube. This may be old news but I thought it was interesting.

--

Okay, I think I have fallen too far behind to catch up with journalling, so instead you’re going to get a recounting of my frustrating morning (mostly no one’s fault, just one of those days) and some analysis of Rock City.

I had BIG PLANS this morning for getting up and enjoying a pot of tea and some croissants at Cafe al Bacio. I was there by 8am. What I hadn’t counted on was the blinding, glaring sunlight. I have an eye condition that makes my eyes light sensitive. No one to blame here but the sun. Usually I order at the counter, whether I am dining in or not, and they either give me the stuff (if to go) or have someone bring it to me. But no, this morning was the morning that they wouldn’t let me order at the counter to dine in, they wanted me to sit down and wait for someone to come take my order. I looked around. There was no one taking orders. I sat down for a bit. No one came to take my order. I left. It was within Blu hours, so I figured I could easily get some tea and a croissant there.

Okay, so there are two kinds of croissants you might encounter on cruises (I know none of them likely have anything to do with real croissants). There are the flaky croissants that have a crisp, buttery exterior … and there are the ones that are just bread shaped like croissants. I’ve encountered both on board and it’s totally random. I’d seen through the case that Bacio had the croissant ones. Sadly, Blu had the “bread in a croissant shape” ones. I also begged the waitress to bring me a pot of tea. When she looked confused, I asked for a pot of hot water and two tea bags. She agreed. Instead she brought me a small metal pot with hot water and one tea bag. And tea cups are incredibly tiny. So I had my bread roll shaped like a croissant and my weak tea by the thimbleful. And got out of there pretty fast.

I can be a bit … stubborn, so I went back to Bacio, and asked for an English Breakfast tea *to go*, and a croissant. I got them. I sat down. TAKE THAT. (I should mention that at neither time was Bacio remotely full. Again with the blinding sunlight.)

Then I decided I was going to find somewhere to write. It was still early, figured there should be plenty of good places. Went back to room, got laptop. Went to deck 11 relaxation room. Nope, already plenty of people in there. It also had the blinding sunlight and glare off the water. Okay, Sky lounge? Half of Sky lounge is full of blinding sunlight. The side with the comfy couches. Again, no one to blame here but the sun.

So on to Rock City.

My credentials:

—30 years of attending rock concerts and generally being a music fanatic

—Have not been to Broadway, but have seen many Broadway South touring productions

—Attended production shows on NCL Getaway

—Attended several Cirque du Soleil performances

Due to a chance conversation at lunch yesterday with another cruiser, I decided I was being too hard on the shipboard entertainment, especially given that I hadn’t really seen much of it, and I decided to attend the 7pm show of Rock City. I was in a good mood and I went in with a reasonably good attitude. Richard Spacey did a five minute warmup that was reasonably entertaining.

Summary: The show is a plot-free song-and-dance number with a few costume changes and some circus-type acts thrown in more or less at random (gymnasts, pole work, one aerialist/silk guy). On balance, the female singers are stronger than the male singers. The ‘lead’ male singer seems like a weird choice for a rock show, as he has a voice that sounds like a woman’s when you close your eyes. I mean, there is precedent, Frankie Valli or even singers like Geddy Lee or Claudio Sanchez, but it was still a little odd. The dancing/choreography was pretty … perfunctory, but I was probably spoiled by seeing Burn the Floor on Getaway (those dancers were TIGHT) and a Broadway South production of Chicago in the last couple of years.

I decided to take notes on the set list. I guess skip if you don’t want to be spoiled:

Intro from “Live and Let Die”

Sweet Child of Mine/Paradise City (I enjoyed the GNR stuff)

Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers) — this is where the weakness of the male vocalists became apparent. There was some interesting gymnastic stuff being done by a couple here, though.

Song I didn’t recognize — something about “Don’t Stop Me Now”

My Generation (The Who)

Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) — Okay, this was a huge misfire. This song is still not ready for this kind of stage production (unless you are Baz Lurhman), especially not with your male performers wearing ‘hammer’ pants and using prop Flying V guitars. Someone in another thread said of Rock City, Angus Young would be rolling over in his grave, but I think it’s probably Kurt Cobain getting the short end of the stick here.

Call Me (Blondie)

One (U2)

Walk This Way (Aerosmith) — Strange costume change for the boys here, into something like purple kilts with exposed midriffs, and football shoulder pads. It was … interesting, I’ll give it that. They wore them for most of the rest of the show.

Song I didn’t recognize “Edge of Glory”?

Highway to Hell (AC/DC) — They had the girls sing this one, and it was a good choice, they nailed it. This was also when some older members of the audience decided they’d had enough and got up to leave.

Song I didn’t quite recognize — something about “you have a boyfriend who looks like a girlfriend”. I know I’ve heard it before.

Mashup: Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics) with Seven Nation Army (White Stripes). This was actually a pretty inspired choice; it’s a good mashup if done correctly, and I was surprised to see them trying it. The problem is, they came in with the synth of Sweet Dreams, and I actually heard an older lady near me say “Oooh, I know this one!” with evident delight. But then they went into the lyrics/melody of Seven Nation Army, and she became obviously confused/disappointed (didn’t recognize it). Most of the song was Seven Nation Army, with a bit of Sweet Dreams only coming in at the end (to cheers). They should have balanced it the opposite way (which I’ve seen done really well recently on YouTube, but I’ll never be able to find it on this connection). I would be surprised if most of the crowd demographic knew Seven Nation Army.

Any Way You Want It (Journey)

Some other song I didn’t recognize, the note I have is “Do you know what’s fighting for”, I suspect I missed a word there

Big finish: Living on a Prayer (Bon Jovi)

Throughout these songs, there was some haphazard choreography, and the aforementioned circus acts. At one point they had a guy and a gal doing pole dancing (I know there’s another term for this when it’s done by gymnasts/circus performers, but I can’t recall it), and they were very much out of sync throughout.

So … I have to give it a C, not something I would see again. It was an interesting idea, but it felt like it was trying to please everyone (generationally speaking) while pleasing no one. Older folks were not amused by the heavy metal antics (see: exodus during AC/DC), grouchy generation X types like myself were unamused by the torturing of Nirvana (though I really do give them credit for that mashup towards the end), and I have no idea what Millennials would have made of the show. They might have actually appreciated it in an ironic sort of way. :)

Summary of what I’ve been doing since I last updated regularly: Enjoyed Cozumel quite a bit (except for aggressive shop barkers—Los Cincos Soles, both downtown and at Intl Pier, are the only ones who don’t do this, so they got my money. This phenomenon is so weird—so many empty shops, both at the port and downtown, and I would see so many people like myself glance in hopefully, but then veer away when a barker approached them for the hard sell. Someone should tell those guys that modern shoppers want to browse without someone breathing down their necks, they would do a lot more business. If I was running a port shop, I would put up a sign that said “No hard sell, just come in!”). Lots of pool time yesterday (and hot tub time). Ongoing dining angst. I wanted to dine at the MDR last night, but during lunch another solo cruiser told me her dinner at Moonlight had taken two hours. Can’t, just can’t. Blu menu didn’t look appealing. Did the buffet. It’s fine. My steward (Maria) continues to be fantastic, and I love my room and the location (deck 11 aft, so not under anything but other rooms). Fellow cruisers are generally well-behaved, have witnessed no more elite meltdowns. I have tripled my slot machine cash ($5 > $15) but I expect to lose it at some point today. I bought some charm bracelets in the shopping district during a sale last night, the first time any cruise ship has gotten any jewelry money from me, so well played X.

Today is a sea day, and the last day of the cruise. I hope to spend some time writing (not sure where, I’m in an uncomfortable chair in sky lounge at the moment, may have to fall back to the room), get in a last swim at the Solarium (and maybe a nap), then start the packing process.

Edited by Host Andy
Removed reply to deleted quote - OP's comments untouched

I can be a bit … stubborn, so I went back to Bacio, and asked for an English Breakfast tea *to go*, and a croissant. I got them. I sat down. TAKE THAT. (I should mention that at neither time was Bacio remotely full. Again with the blinding sunlight.)

Did the same hahaha

We've given up on the production shows on cruises so I understand your frustration. (Although, to tell you the truth Rock City actually sounded better than what we've seen in the past).

We also can't stand the hard sell vendors and run the other way. We ended up buying all of our souvenirs last year (in Belize, I think) from a little shop that had a sign out front something like "All we have is junk you don't really need". Really nice couple owned it.

If you still have time give Blu another chance and try ordering off the menu. If it's reasonable and they have it they'll make it. For example , I love Pasta Arrabiatta. It's basically a spicy tomato sauce so they made it for me.

Edited by chamima

Chamima, I think I missed telling about another nice dinner I had at Blu--waiter remembered me from the first night, remembered my drink preference, commented on absence on night 2, and for some reason brought me another bowl of French fries with my NY strip. I've mentally started referring to them as Shame Fries (I discreetly watched video on my phone through that dinner). No I don't really think he meant anything by it, but no one else seemed to be getting French fries. I was even dressed up! I can't imagine where he was producing these piping hot fries from, either. Kids menu?

The chocolate cake at Blu was very good, with layers of Dulce de leche.

I'm at lunch buffet now-SLAMMED. I guess this is a special lunch, lots of carved meats and also fish and chips. I think we're still on a decidedly British menu. Not complaining. Also growing fond of shipboard Sacher torte.

I'll bet anything the waiter liked fries so he thought you might like them also.

Most of them try SO HARD to please.

The waiter's name wasn't by any chance Vinod was it?

We've had him for the last 2 years and he actually cried when we left last year.

For those of you who are in the MDR on Deck 3? There is now only 1 entrance on the right side since the new Suite Dining room was finished. For those who have tables in the MDR on the left side of the MDR, you have to weave between tables, passengers and waiters to get to your table. This could be very hard for those who have a walking disability. They really need to make some type of an aisle to get to the left side of the MDR.

Good to here Vinod is still on Eclipse...if you see him again could you ask if he will be on in March.....Art & Cindy would love to enjoy his style again...additionally if you could find out hostess name...enjoying your posts

For those of you who are in the MDR on Deck 3? There is now only 1 entrance on the right side since the new Suite Dining room was finished. For those who have tables in the MDR on the left side of the MDR, you have to weave between tables, passengers and waiters to get to your table. This could be very hard for those who have a walking disability. They really need to make some type of an aisle to get to the left side of the MDR.

It seems mad that they didnt build the suite dining room on Deck 4 where there are far less people trying to enter the restaurant.

It seems mad that they didnt build the suite dining room on Deck 4 where there are far less people trying to enter the restaurant.

Totally agree. However, why didn't they provide clear access for those who are seated on the left side of the MDR? That is a complete BO BO!

PS, if you get hot tea at cafe al bacio to "dine in", make sure they give you two tea bags. I have a large pot of very weak tea in front of me right now due to a single lonely tea bag.

Perditax,

Enjoying your honest appraisal. Please tell me they still offer Tea Forte. We thoroughly enjoyed hot Tea Forte several times whilst on an Alaska cruise this summer.

Also a little surprised by the lack of private and available space. Rarely a problem for us. I so agree about the music. I am also a Gen Xer and like most music genres and LOVE live music. On our last cruise, this summer, we were lucky to have Sean Golden (a great guitarist who sings) onboard. He was the only bright spot in a pretty dismal live music lineup. We found ourselves searching the program for his act every day - like groupies.

Also concur about the buffet - if you are willing to wait, the pasta and stir fry stations are quite good - but waiting without someone to hold a table for you is probably quite difficult. Even with a couple, unless you're willing to split the same plate you won't be able to eat together. You can always take it back to your room...

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

PJ

Perditax,

Enjoying your honest appraisal. Please tell me they still offer Tea Forte. We thoroughly enjoyed hot Tea Forte several times whilst on an Alaska cruise this summer.

Also a little surprised by the lack of private and available space. Rarely a problem for us. I so agree about the music. I am also a Gen Xer and like most music genres and LOVE live music. On our last cruise, this summer, we were lucky to have Sean Golden (a great guitarist who sings) onboard. He was the only bright spot in a pretty dismal live music lineup. We found ourselves searching the program for his act every day - like groupies.

Also concur about the buffet - if you are willing to wait, the pasta and stir fry stations are quite good - but waiting without someone to hold a table for you is probably quite difficult. Even with a couple, unless you're willing to split the same plate you won't be able to eat together. You can always take it back to your room...

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

PJ

We also loved tea forte and i was able to purchase on line. we also got the tea pots so the leaf shows and tea bag holders A nice reminder of our celebrity cruises!

Hi Everyone,

I rarely reply to comments about deleted posts, but I'd like to share some thoughts....

First off, there's nothing that annoys me more, than when someone makes a snarky or rude comments, on "Live From" threads, especially as our members are taking valuable time from their cruise, to share insights with us. Trust me, I know - as it's happened to me a few times.

The "Quote Reply" feature is generally very helpful, but it can also be problematic.

As I've recommended in the past, it's prudent to be extremely careful when using the "Quote Reply" feature - especially when you feel the quoted reply contains comments which might be deleted. When this happens, we have no other choice than to delete the problematic post, in addition to your post, as it contains a reference to the deleted post. If in doubt ? I highly recommend not using "Quote Reply".

In other words, your post might be fine, but using the quoted post, causes us to delete your post as well.

I reviewed the post in question, and felt it was important to this thread. To make our members happy, I've removed the snarky quoted comment, and reinstated Perditax's post in it's entirety. My sincere apologies to member Perditax, and our community for any disappointment.

I hope this resolves the matter. Please do not reply to this post. Thanks very much for your understanding and participation.

Edited by Host Andy

My thought on the performance of Rock City I saw the week before was they should delete Walk this Way. No one does it like Steve Tyler.

I found the smoke smell was shocking in many areas of the ship. Also odd sort of smokey smell coming off the carpet in the casino. I have not experienced this on any other Celebrity ship before. I also thought they must be smoking inside it was so pervasive.

I was on deck 11 too, and our internet was horrible. Much worse than the previous two weeks. My hats off to you for being able to pull off a live thread.

It's fun reading others experiences, especially in Blu.

Andy,

Thank you for your explanation on the Rock City post. It makes total sense now and I appreciate your candor. I have found you in the past to be a very good steward of the forums you monitor as well as a valuable contributor.

Thank you also for restoring the post.

Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) Pick which you prefer. :)

Steve