Wheelhouse Bar on the Crown

dag144

We just returned from a one week cruise on the Crown. We had been on the ship in late Sept./ early Oct. for a 10 day cruise. At that time the Wheelhouse was being reading for its debut as a restaurant serving small plates to make up a dinner. We were excited to try this last week.

Alas, the concept was so unpopular on this cruise that the dinning areas were mostly empty. At best 30% or so of the tables were occupied at worst maybe two or three. We had drinks at the bar which was never crowded. We always got two seats at the bar.

This is sad because the Wheelhouse (which seems to have attracted fewer drinkers in recent years) is more like a corridor from the theater to the atrium. Conclusion, Princess should get help from the fellow on Spike's Bar Rescue program or heads should roll.

There are lots of post of pics of the new concept and the menu, so I just thought that I would give you my impression,

We just returned from a one week cruise on the Crown. We had been on the ship in late Sept./ early Oct. for a 10 day cruise. At that time the Wheelhouse was being reading for its debut as a restaurant serving small plates to make up a dinner. We were excited to try this last week.

Alas, the concept was so unpopular on this cruise that the dinning areas were mostly empty. At best 30% or so of the tables were occupied at worst maybe two or three. We had drinks at the bar which was never crowded. We always got two seats at the bar.

This is sad because the Wheelhouse (which seems to have attracted fewer drinkers in recent years) is more like a corridor from the theater to the atrium. Conclusion, Princess should get help from the fellow on Spike's Bar Rescue program or heads should roll.

There are lots of post of pics of the new concept and the menu, so I just thought that I would give you my impression,

Was there still a live band and dancing in the evening starting around 8pm? Do they still have the Free Pub Lunch on some sea days?

Was there still a live band and dancing in the evening starting around 8pm? Do they still have the Free Pub Lunch on some sea days?

Free Pub Lunch was offered on one of the two sea days in the Crown Grill.

No live band in the Wheelhouse on 10/10/15 voyage, just a acoustical guitarist.

In my opinion, they need to rethink/remove the Salty Dog from the Wheelhouse and return it to a dance venue.

Don't mean to hijack - but noticed on the Regal last month that the Wheelhouse was under-used, staff kind of lost - big change from last year when they had a live jazz band

The Salty Dog "upgrade" (sic) to Wheelhouse is only currently planned for Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess. When I was on Ruby last year the Wheelhouse was elbow-to-elbow for the afternoon BOGO and stayed nearly that crowded for the remainder of the evening. Most nights either a guitar/vocal duo or solo guitarist played there; hopefully they will offer something similar to draw those interested to another venue.

The Wheelhouse does get crowded from 3 to 4 pm with bargain prices, but it sure died down after that. Princess needs to get assistance from Spike Network's Bar Rescue program people. Could be the Bar Rescue at Sea!

I was on the Crown 11/28 - 12/5 and agree with the OP about the Wheelhouse and the change addition of the Salty Dog. We tried it, and while the food was OK, it was nothing special. Plus, it is very uncomfortable with the only seating options being high tables and bar stools.

Over a seven day period, the Wheelhouse was dead. The acoustical guitar player was too sleepy for what used to be a fun venue.

Prediction (or wishful thinking): Days are numbered for Salty Dog.

I was on the Crown 11/28 - 12/5 and agree with the OP about the Wheelhouse and the change addition of the Salty Dog. We tried it, and while the food was OK, it was nothing special. Plus, it is very uncomfortable with the only seating options being high tables and bar stools.

Over a seven day period, the Wheelhouse was dead. The acoustical guitar player was too sleepy for what used to be a fun venue.

Prediction (or wishful thinking): Days are numbered for Salty Dog.

And what's with the stark white tables? IMO, it just doesn't look inviting.

Wheelhouse has always had a fair amount of people in it and now it seems that the only use it gets is the happy hour. My DH and I walked in after a show let out one evening and the poor entertainer was singing with not one person in there to listen.

We felt so bad for him.

Not sure where they are getting these people in the corporate office coming up with these supposed new ideas for venues onboard to stay competitive. Probably the same place they got the idea to remodel the Island/Coral. They are all dud ideas. imo :mad:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The Salty Dog "upgrade" (sic) to Wheelhouse is only currently planned for Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess. When I was on Ruby last year the Wheelhouse was elbow-to-elbow for the afternoon BOGO and stayed nearly that crowded for the remainder of the evening. Most nights either a guitar/vocal duo or solo guitarist played there; hopefully they will offer something similar to draw those interested to another venue.
That really sucks. The Wheelhouse bar is the only consistent place where we found dancing while on a cruise. Any other venue gets pre-empted for games and dancing take s back seat.

PRINCESS CRUISES - WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST PEOPLE LIKE US WHO THINK DANCING MAKES A CRUISE?

• 7 months later...

We loved the wheelhouse for dancing, in fact we pick our cruises based on the dance venues. Feb 2016 we were on the emerald and the salty dog was a complete failure, no one was eating in there. Cruisers were not able to sit and relax in the comfortable seats we use to have. fortunately, there was a small band which played every night after 8:00 we are currently trying to pick a cruise for next year on the crown but have read on cruise critiic that the wheelhouse is only having a guitarist for music. If anyone has been on the crown or emerald or ruby recently, please let us know if they are all the same salty dog (half the room salty dog and the other half relaxing seats) and what type of music each one has. This is how we will decide whether to book this cruise. Thanks for any information you can give us about the wheelhouses on these three ships

In my experience the popularity of the Wheelhouse has been dependent on the entertainment. On one cruise, there was the WORST EVER acoustic singer who literally sang the worst, most depressing songs ever, and he sang them over and over. On another cruise, there was a freaking fantastic jazz quartet, they played about every night and drew a huge crowd. So maybe it has less to do with the installation of an eating venue and a lack of truly good music. I agree with others, I like to see the wheelhouse lively with great music and people enjoying themselves. But I would also like to try the Salty Dog sometime, as I'm into stuff like that (any and all alternative eating venues, even for a fee). Maybe there could be a balance of both?

I cant wait to try the Salty Dog! Love the new age "gastropub" concept. The menu looks incredible, makes my mouth water looking at it online. I am hopeful for my Crown Princess 10Sept Alaska sailing :cool:

Myself and the friends i was with kicked ourselves hard for not going earlier in the cruise, we waited until 2nd to last night. We thought it was great and, as usual, far too much food - thinking about it if we had gone earlier in the cruise we would have eaten there far too many times and would have needed to be hoisted off the ship by crane. (Was on Emerald Princess)

Thought it was great. We ate there 3 times on a 15 days cruise. Never disappointed. We like sitting at a high top eating in a pub like atmosphere, not for MDR type of meal. I hope they keep it. It was busy most nights on our cruise. Its a great change from the old. Princess was getting to be the same old thing every cruise, I think its great they are stepping out and trying things. We also ate at Share twice and it also was great.

Hi All

While on Emerald every night at least one table was in use at Salty Dog,

can not recall if they every made it two, so plenty of scope to take away

99.9% of the tables and put a dance floor in

yours Shogun

Not sure where they are getting these people in the corporate office coming up with these supposed new ideas for venues onboard to stay competitive. Probably the same place they got the idea to remodel the Island/Coral. They are all dud ideas. imo :mad:

+1

Thank God they didn't pull the trigger on the Coral

Srpilo

While on Emerald every night at least one table was in use at Salty Dog,

can not recall if they every made it two, so plenty of scope to take away

99.9% of the tables and put a dance floor in

yours Shogun

Noticed that too on Emerald last May on about 4 nights while at the bar.

On one cruise, there was the WORST EVER acoustic singer who literally sang the worst, most depressing songs ever, and he sang them over and over.

I think we had him on Golden in April. We nicknamed him "Mr Whiney". Sometimes he was in the lower Atrium and sometimes in the Wheelhouse Bar. We avoided him where possible. :D