Medications

travelhelp

Last year on our 21 day Caribbean cruise, we both came down with a terrible cough that lasted through the the better part of the trip and developed into bronchitis which also lasted for quite a few weeks after. I understand this is quite common. Have any of you gotten prescriptions from your doctor ahead of time and if so, do you fill it or wait until you need it in a port. That goes for cough medicine too. We tried over the counter to no avail, obviously. Also, the shop Doctor ruled out flu and whatever medicine she prescribed didn't help at all.

Last year on our 21 day Caribbean cruise, we both came down with a terrible cough that lasted through the the better part of the trip and developed into bronchitis which also lasted for quite a few weeks after. I understand this is quite common. Have any of you gotten prescriptions from your doctor ahead of time and if so, do you fill it or wait until you need it in a port. That goes for cough medicine too. We tried over the counter to no avail, obviously. Also, the shop Doctor ruled out flu and whatever medicine she prescribed didn't help at all.

My doctor won't give any prescriptions for something like that .

I developed Pneumonia after a cruise this year to Alaska . I was given the medicine in case the pneumonia would respond to it.

The cough could be Viral or bacterial. One doesn't respond to antibiotics the other does.

My dentist gave me a repeat prescription for antibiotics and Tylenol 3 in case of problems on long cruises.

Never asked my doctor, but I doubt it if she would consider any antibiotics without a proper diagnosis.

The ship has what you need, just have travel medical insurance to pay for it!

The US is quite different from Canada in medical issues, so it is possible that you could get what you want beforehand. If so, I would purchase at home.

Have to be very careful with antibiotics, though, as Kamloops50 wisely noted.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Most importantly you must of course follow your own doctors orders regarding what to take with you and a flu shot. Definitely fill any prescriptions at home. I have had 3 episodes of what you describe, so I pack cough med, decongestant and antibiotic always. One onboard doc actually called it "ship cough" and said it was throughout ship including crew. I still get checked by ship doc though.

My dentist gave me a repeat prescription for antibiotics and Tylenol 3 in case of problems on long cruises.

Never asked my doctor, but I doubt it if she would consider any antibiotics without a proper diagnosis.

The ship has what you need, just have travel medical insurance to pay for it!

The US is quite different from Canada in medical issues, so it is possible that you could get what you want beforehand. If so, I would purchase at home.

Have to be very careful with antibiotics, though, as Kamloops50 wisely noted.

It must be different. There is no way my dr would give me a prescription for anbiotics. It's way too easy to build up immunity to antibiotics from taking them when you don't need them.

Depending on where we're going, we frequently see our HMO's "travel medicine" section a few weeks before departure to get any vaccinations we may need, to anticipate what medical problems might occur, and (often, depending on where we're headed) to get a script for ciprofloxacin to overcome e. coli problems.

I'm not so sure a pharmacy in BVI or Barbados or Dominica etc would fill a Rx written in U.S. Someone else might have that answer.

My doctor does not willy-nilly hand out Rx for antibiotics without obvious need, however, always takes into consideration the medical history of each patient and at what risk they could be if certain relatively common cruise ship illness should appear for that specific patient.

Edited by sail7seas

Our family doctor knows that I get Bronchitis on nearly every cruise -- my immune system has weaken the last few years. I fought bronchitis for 4 1/2 months from the end of Nov 2014 into this year.

So he gives us both prescription for Z Packs and codeine cough medicine. And I get them filled before we leave on a cruise.

I would never take a chance that they couldn't be filled in a port.

It's common to get the "Cruise Crud" on cruises which are usually just Upper Respiratory Infections (IRIs) that can affect different people in different ways. The best thing is to ask your physician (not your dentist!) what you should do if you get one of these. They often give you a cough that lasts and lasts. The only thing we routinely bring is Mucinex DM (in the states) which is the strongest cough suppressant we can take. (On one cruise the doctor's office ran out of cough meds.)

Other people may be subject to catching pneumonia or other complications so their physicians need to let them know what to do.

The "crud" is spread by vapor (coughing, sneezes, etc.) as well as lingering on "stuff" so it will spread rapidly. I've now vowed to not go to the movie theater on cruises, since invariably I'm sitting next to someone who spends the entire time coughing or blowing their nose, etc...in two days...I've got it.

Taking an antibiotic is NOT the first thing to do...viruses do NOT RESPOND TO ANTIBIOTICS! If you take an antibiotic and it's not needed, you are making yourself more prone to having antibiotic-resistant bacteria...not a good thing!

Please don't self-medicate on a cruise. The doctor is there for a reason...and often the nurse will be able to help you for which there is no charge.

(Bacteriologist and wife of MD)

It must be different. There is no way my dr would give me a prescription for anbiotics. It's way too easy to build up immunity to antibiotics from taking them when you don't need them.

I agree completely.

After one cruise with DH getting a toothache 2 days before disembarkation, we now have a supply of antibiotics and Tylenol 3 from our dentist for this specific problem.

Would not use an antibiotic otherwise without seeing an MD.

Strongly recommend you get your script filled before you leave home. Medications can be different in some countries or you may not be able to get what you need if you try to fill the script in a port. Worked for many years in the drug industry on a global basis so have 1st hand knowledge.

My MD provides prophylactic meds for me for a variety of reasons. Fully agree that viruses do not respond to antibiotics but I do have secondary issues just like KK so bring my trusty Z-paks on every cruise along with cough suppressants.

There is a new pneumonia vaccine recommended in the US for people over 50 or at risk, and I took that this year. We're planning a cruise/tour to Slovenia and Croatia next year, and the CDC recommends taking a travelers' diarrhea antibiotic with us to be used if necessary. I know from past experience that my PCP will write the prescription for me because she knows I won't take it unless medically necessary.

In the past I have had problems with colds "going to my chest" so I take decongestants the first few days of a cold, and take Afrin nose spray along to use an hour or so before my flights. You don't want to overuse either one of those. Using saline nose spray every day also keeps me healthier.

There is a new pneumonia vaccine recommended in the US for people over 50 or at risk, and I took that this year. We're planning a cruise/tour to Slovenia and Croatia next year, and the CDC recommends taking a travelers' diarrhea antibiotic with us to be used if necessary. I know from past experience that my PCP will write the prescription for me because she knows I won't take it unless medically necessary.

In the past I have had problems with colds "going to my chest" so I take decongestants the first few days of a cold, and take Afrin nose spray along to use an hour or so before my flights. You don't want to overuse either one of those. Using saline nose spray every day also keeps me healthier.

Your better take travelers diarrhea medicine before you go. We call it Duke old in Canada. It is also advertised in the US on TV. It takes three weeks to become effective. The time you take it, is two doses taken a month apart. After you take a single booster as required every 6 months. If you don't take a booster within 2 years. You have to take two doses again a month apart. We use it even when training in Canada or United States.

We also have taken that shot as well your annual flu shot.

Edited by Kamloops50

Our family doctor knows that I get Bronchitis on nearly every cruise -- my immune system has weaken the last few years. I fought bronchitis for 4 1/2 months from the end of Nov 2014 into this year.

So he gives us both prescription for Z Packs and codeine cough medicine. And I get them filled before we leave on a cruise.

I would never take a chance that they couldn't be filled in a port.

FYI - Ship cough - You can buy cough syrup with codeine w/o a prescription in Canada (and Tylenol #1). As soon as I think I'm coming down with something I take a Tylenol #1 and Cepacol throat drops. Works almost every time.

My primary care physician has several patients who take long cruises. He puts together a set of scripts to have filled before we leave. I'm taking along prescriptions for two different antibiotics as well as medication for vertigo and pain relief. He knows which of his patients he can trust to use these responsibly.

I am prone to bronchitis so when we cruise I have a 10 day supply of Amoxicillin if I need it.

After a cruise where I needed cough syrup and was appalled at the price aboard ship I bring some every cruise. I also bring cough drops, aspirin, Imodium, Alka Seltzer, bacitracin, and bandaids plus a few other OTC items I might need.

Before every cruise my late husband and I would see either our primary doctor or our pulmonologist and have a brief exam to make sure we were okay for travel. Since both of us had asthma and/or COPD the doctor would give each of us a new prescription for antibiotics, cough syrup and an additional antihistamine. (different meds for each of us). We always got the prescriptions filled at home shortly before our travel date. It seems that we always needed all of the medications.