New Cancellation Rules

SuiteCruiser

Oceania and Regent have always had final payment at 90 days, 120 to 150 for special circumstances, and the 180 day around-the-world cruise on which I'm leaving Jan 4 had final payment at 6 months before the cruise (along with 20% deposit). NCL is a walk in the park.

I'm confused....if name changes count as cancellations....can we still change the names of cabin guests up to the time we make final payment (with no penalties or other changes)? When I booked our next cruise, we used filler names to hold spots in the cabin. Those names will be changed before our cruise, and before final payment. That won't effect the reservation, right?

Oceania and Regent have always had final payment at 90 days, 120 to 150 for special circumstances, and the 180 day around-the-world cruise on which I'm leaving Jan 4 had final payment at 6 months before the cruise (along with 20% deposit). NCL is a walk in the park.

Thanks for making the connection;).

New cancellation dates and fees as of January 1, 2016, for our convenience...

www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Our PCC brought that to our attention when we first made inquiries into cruising on NCL. But we first did a dummy booking of our 4 day Sky cruise (one of their Penthouse Suite) to the Bahamas for November 2016 to verify the $0 cancellation fee for that time frame.

I'm confused....if name changes count as cancellations....can we still change the names of cabin guests up to the time we make final payment (with no penalties or other changes)? When I booked our next cruise, we used filler names to hold spots in the cabin. Those names will be changed before our cruise, and before final payment. That won't effect the reservation, right?

I'm wondering if it means that you would have to pay whatever the fair is when you do the change & lose the fair you had at the time you originally booked, and maybe lose your promo's.

I'm wondering if it means that you would have to pay whatever the fair is when you do the change & lose the fair you had at the time you originally booked, and maybe lose your promo's.

We would simply cancel at that point. We have a great fare and decent promos....I would rather not go, than go and feel screwed. That would be a terrible way to begin a vacation.

We would simply cancel at that point. We have a great fare and decent promos....I would rather not go, than go and feel screwed. That would be a terrible way to begin a vacation.

Yes that would be a bummer. I hope I am wrong, but there have been some unpleasant changes lately, so who knows

There is no indication that NCL is going to change its handling of name changes. Currently, as long as one of the original passengers remains on the booking, the other passenger or passengers' name(s) can be changed with no fee, and with no other consequences for the booking (booking date, fare, promos, etc.).

Unfortunately, this is not stated anywhere in writing. All they say is that "name changes are cancellations", and as I said above, they have been saying the same thing for years and years. So there is always the possibility that they will suddenly decide to apply that rule strictly when you ask to do your name change. But as far as I can remember, they have let people change some of the names on their bookings without making them cancel and rebook, and I am pretty confident it will be the same in your case.

There is no indication that NCL is going to change its handling of name changes. Currently, as long as one of the original passengers remains on the booking, the other passenger or passengers' name(s) can be changed with no fee, and with no other consequences for the booking (booking date, fare, promos, etc.).

Unfortunately, this is not stated anywhere in writing. All they say is that "name changes are cancellations", and as I said above, they have been saying the same thing for years and years. So there is always the possibility that they will suddenly decide to apply that rule strictly when you ask to do your name change. But as far as I can remember, they have let people change some of the names on their bookings without making them cancel and rebook, and I am pretty confident it will be the same in your case.

Thank you. I'll assume status quo and make the changes once we are positive who will actually be in the cabin with us. It was a deal I couldn't pass up, so I just used random names to hold the guest spots (figured we wouldn't have much trouble getting a couple of friends to go). My wife and I are set as Guest1 and Guest2, which is where the fare is charged. Everyone else was under the family and friends sale free offer (so only my wife and I are charged for the Guest fare).

Thank you. I'll assume status quo and make the changes once we are positive who will actually be in the cabin with us. It was a deal I couldn't pass up, so I just used random names to hold the guest spots (figured we wouldn't have much trouble getting a couple of friends to go). My wife and I are set as Guest1 and Guest2, which is where the fare is charged. Everyone else was under the family and friends sale free offer (so only my wife and I are charged for the Guest fare).

I was just reading yesterday on a social media site we aren't allowed to reference here on CC.

A Travel Agent had a cruise booked for himself and someone else. He had not reached final payment and was going to change name. he was informed that there was a charge. It was a few hundred dollars. He said basically it was repriced at current rates. So, yes they man now be following this part of their policy

I agree especially if they are now going to enforce the "no name change" rule. :eek:

Mike

That is not new, it has always been there and never enforced. Why would anyone think that they are going to change that now? They haven't given any indication that that will happen. Much to do about nothing.

If you are referring to the statements about "name changes" and "name substitutions", those were already in the previous policy (I don't know why they feel the need to say the same thing twice, as usual NCL's legal team seems to place a very low priority on proof-reading ;)). It is not a change in policy.

In the past, people have always reported being able to make name changes of the kind you described for free, despite what the policy says.

Yes, the Payment Schedule will also change on January 1, 2016. Final payment will be at 75 days for short cruises, 90 days for longer cruises, and 120 for holiday sailings.

I don't see any changes to the payment/cancellation policies for Haven/suite bookings. The biggest change seems to be for holiday sailings, which now apply the stricter Haven/suite rules to all stateroom categories. :(

Name change and name substitution are different things. Name change is when the same person is cruising yet their name changes an example being a name change as a result of a wedding. A substitution is when a different person cruises than the person originally booked. Not redundant at all.

This change is one of those "who really cares" issues. How often do you book a cruise and have to cancel in the first place? Secondly for those who buy the cruise insurance this is a total non issue at all. Pick your battles people... :eek:

This change is one of those "who really cares" issues. How often do you book a cruise and have to cancel in the first place? Secondly for those who buy the cruise insurance this is a total non issue at all. Pick your battles people... :eek:

Exactly. People get to excited about non significant changes and think it's a life altering moment.

Exactly. People get to excited about non significant changes and think it's a life altering moment.

Shocking that you think this is a positive. How about people having to pay their balance off a whole month earlier than they expected? That's a big change, lots of people actually budget for their trips, and lots of people take more than one a year. Just because your annual Haven trip isn't affected, doesn't mean you need to talk down to those who travel more frequently in lower cabins.

Shocking that you think this is a positive. How about people having to pay their balance off a whole month earlier than they expected? That's a big change, lots of people actually budget for their trips, and lots of people take more than one a year.

That won't be happening. As you know, the cancellation policy changes apply to new bookings made after Jan 1, 2016. The cancellation terms will and final payment dates will not be "unexpected".

It may be a whole month earlier compared to past bookings, sure. But how relevant is that?