No salt for me please. Has anyone had issues with this?

Rainbowfalls

I am trying to cut back on my sodium intake, especially on trips just because I get horrible swelling. I really dislike salt added to my food and rarely if ever use it when I cook (taste preference that way).

Anyways I know one of the ways I was getting a lot of salt added to my diet was through the cruise food and I was wondering if anyone else has been able to request or get help with not having salt added to their food or getting a modified meal without much sodium?

Is this something I would have to contact special needs for or could I just talk to the servers in the main dining room?

Any help or past experiences would be appreciated.

To request a special diet---

See the Maitre D just after embark. A hostess will take your order for that evening. At dinner a hostess or your waiter will take the next day's MDR order. They will take your order for all meals offered in the MDR--breakfast, lunch, brunch, dinner. If you have ATD they will give your order slip to your waiter. We've never had an issue with special diets.

Thank you all!!

I have been trying to cut back on carbs as well just because my mother has had issues with diabetes and I know how genetic that can be. Carbs are a ton harder for me though cause I have a huge sweet tooth lol, but so far I am doing a lot better then I did a couple of weeks ago, salt is just easier for me because I do not like it to begin with. So far the typical swelling I get from standing 8+ hours a day has gotten better with what I am doing but I dont want to get on this cruise and ruin all the good I have done.

Thank you again everyone for this I really appreciate it, I dont worry so much now about what I will be eating and hopefully with contacting special needs and getting that going I can relax a bit :)

Carbs really arent all sweet. Breads, rice, pasta, etc, arent sweet. Good luck. Im glad I opened this sice didnt think I could tequest special diet of low salt. Inwould live that and may look i to hhis tomorrow at work. We sail Indy over NYE. I really watch what I eat and work out six times a week and staying away from carbs on a cruise while still exercising always helps. I never requested low salt diet. For me, its still staying away from carbs. I dont watch my alcohol though on a cruise, a girls got to live lol

Edited by js

I am just like you when it comes to salt. Get a couple of cases of the bottled water (2.99) and get out on the track each morning. I have done well avoiding salt on the ships, know your foods and what foods start out higher naturally with sodium. Water is really the best way to flush it out.

Carbs really arent all sweet. Breads, rice, pasta, etc, arent sweet. Good luck. Im glad I opened this sice didnt think I could tequest special diet of low salt. Inwould live that and may look i to hhis tomorrow at work. We sail Indy over NYE. I really watch what I eat and work out six times a week and staying away from carbs on a cruise while still exercising always helps. I never requested low salt diet. For me, its still staying away from carbs. I dont watch my alcohol though on a cruise, a girls got to live lol

lol I wish carbs were just sweets as well :( I looove pasta I could eat it all the time and bread...omg bread :(. luckily for me I can't drink much without a ton of pain so I do avoid that mostly it's just food. Beautiful glorious food is my downfall

You may also wish to pre-order some bottled water to your cabin - see here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2288409

I already did two cases since it was so cheap, better to get it through them then carry it on lol. Water though I have to force myself to drink, I don't know if I am the only one but water is just gross. No matter how it's made or bottled it's always had a weird taste to me:confused:

I am just like you when it comes to salt. Get a couple of cases of the bottled water (2.99) and get out on the track each morning. I have done well avoiding salt on the ships, know your foods and what foods start out higher naturally with sodium. Water is really the best way to flush it out.

I wish there was a list posted of the nutritional values and ingredients for carnival food. I know though after reading it I wouldn't wanna eat anything lol and I am sure a lot would be in that same boat... so guess it's better they don't. My sister already plans on walking the track each morning, she's lost over 50 pounds so far and is freaking out about gaining weight so I know I can just walk with her, it'll give me motivation to since walking alone is boring :p

I am trying to cut back on my sodium intake, especially on trips just because I get horrible swelling. I really dislike salt added to my food and rarely if ever use it when I cook (taste preference that way).

Anyways I know one of the ways I was getting a lot of salt added to my diet was through the cruise food and I was wondering if anyone else has been able to request or get help with not having salt added to their food or getting a modified meal without much sodium?

Is this something I would have to contact special needs for or could I just talk to the servers in the main dining room?

Any help or past experiences would be appreciated.

One way to minimize swelling is to walk less. You swell because you are using muscles a lot more than usual and the body heals them by getting more fluid to them. If you feel like salt is the issue just drink more water to flush it out.

One way to minimize swelling is to walk less. You swell because you are using muscles a lot more than usual and the body heals them by getting more fluid to them. If you feel like salt is the issue just drink more water to flush it out.

Never heard that one before. I am sorry but I must disagree with you on the walking.

I already did two cases since it was so cheap, better to get it through them then carry it on lol. Water though I have to force myself to drink, I don't know if I am the only one but water is just gross. No matter how it's made or bottled it's always had a weird taste to me:confused:

Pour it over ice and add lemon. Some will suggest those flavoring packets but I don't like them.