Jumping ship to MCS due to price

urc12

When MSC first appeared in the North America cruise market years ago , it was not well reviewed .

Now with their new ships and more NA itineraries . catering to NA guests , it seems to have turned around .

More bang for the buck also.

Take this opportunity if you are unhappy with RCI pricing to try this and other cruise lines . You owe RCI nothing .

Edited by MCC retired

My family and I have enjoyed many Royal cruises but the pricing for this summer is forcing us to jump ship and give the MSC Divina a try. We booked a suite (11010) which is 421 Sq feet with a 130sq ft. balcony. Our price includes alcohol packages for my wife and I as well as a spa treatment as well as a bunch of other suite perks. The Divina looks to be a gorgeous ship. We are paying $4228 for the 4 of us for the week. The total deposit was $200

By comparison, the GS on the Freedom out of Port Canaveral the same week would be $11966. The suites are roughly the same size and the itineraries are similar. Drink package and spa treatment extra. I could book and inside quad on the Freedom for $4349.

I have loved all my Royal cruises, but I am going to try something else until their pricing comes back to earth

That is a nice amount of things you are getting! We have thought about the Divina for the future because of its itinerary and the great packages the TAs are offering.

Can see the balcony in the pic, in their scheme of things what 'kind' of balcony category was this?

It is a standard balcony room. We had the same last September. Price was something like $600 pp.

Not sure if Divina has smaller balcony with only a chair, Poesia had both

It is a standard balcony room. We had the same last September. Price was something like $600 pp.

Not sure if Divina has smaller balcony with only a chair, Poesia had both

Thanks, will try an MSC cruise it's still a cruise and DW wants to go to Turks and Caicos the Divina has some itineraries that do.

Will still book an Oasis Class or Quantum Class for the whole family in '18 but the wife and I can double up by going on an extra in '17

Thanks, will try an MSC cruise it's still a cruise and DW wants to go to Turks and Caicos the Divina has some itineraries that do.

Will still book an Oasis Class or Quantum Class for the whole family in '18 but the wife and I can double up by going on an extra in '17

I'm planning to do similar. I've already had in mind to book Allure for 2017, although I'm on the fence about it. I'll try MSC either right after it, or instead if I decide not to go Allure.

Edited by emory2001

For $600 pp for a balcony I could make due with one chair.

In March 2014 my parents were on that ship; they paid $249 pp for a balcony. it was some mega blowout sale. they loved it, but getting specifics or photos from them is not their strong suit. It is costing me way more than 249, but way less than anything RCI.

For $600 pp for a balcony I could make due with one chair.

^^^^^This^^^

The only thing with sales-whether its RCL or MSC or NCL the restrictions that apply to a specific sale takes some of the wheeling/dealing out of the equation. With the 2for1 balcony sale you can't justify looking at an upgrade to yacht club because it is 60% more

Can see the balcony in the pic, in their scheme of things what 'kind' of balcony category was this?

Hi There,

This particular balcony was HUGE with plenty of furniture. The Divina does have some cabins with some smaller balconys!

Here is a pic!

IMG_3853.jpg

Also here is a tour of the cabin on my youtube page, I took this video.

Edited by skyking

I am glad the OP created this thread. I am pretty brand loyal but that does not prevent me from trying other cruise lines (as can be evidenced by my signature). I am planning to book the May 2018 MSC Seaside cruise to give the line a try. I reach Diamond on RCCL after my March cruise so will wait for the loyalty match until after that cruise.

What will matter to me more than the price is what the clientele is like. I don't like a loud crowd - but I do like some activity.

I am glad the OP created this thread. I am pretty brand loyal but that does not prevent me from trying other cruise lines (as can be evidenced by my signature). I am planning to book the May 2018 MSC Seaside cruise to give the line a try. I reach Diamond on RCCL after my March cruise so will wait for the loyalty match until after that cruise.

What will matter to me more than the price is what the clientele is like. I don't like a loud crowd - but I do like some activity.

On the sailing I was on there were only 1100 Americans. I thought it was wonderful, lots of European fashion, both by the pool and at night. The one thing I noticed is the Europeans like to get the party started very late, disco started around midnight or so, and also lots of fancy clothes on formal night. It was a blast!

Tim

I also loved our experience cruising with Europeans here. Very friendly. One thing I noticed, if there is an empty chair at the table by the pool they would invite you to use it if they notice you are looking. :)

Another positive thing... even though kids are sailing free, not too many kids on Divina sailing. It is probably expensive to bring them overseas.

Thank you Lisa,

I took some flak at first but I am glad that the post has been helpful. I appreciate the info that is being shared and my family is also excited about trying something new.

Many of us seem to be at least considering a change due to the current RCCL pricing.

On the sailing I was on there were only 1100 Americans. I thought it was wonderful, lots of European fashion, both by the pool and at night. The one thing I noticed is the Europeans like to get the party started very late, disco started around midnight or so, and also lots of fancy clothes on formal night. It was a blast!

Tim

I would love being on a ship with a lot of Europeans aboard. One reason I enjoy interacting with the crew on the ships is because of the diversity of nationalities that I encounter. This would be great with passengers as well. One of the reasons that I have always looked forward to sailing out of San Juan is because the Latino population there brings a different vibe to the ship from that found on Florida departures.

The more that I read this thread the more enticing MSC is sounding.

I didn't really get that. I figured Diamond + would be Black, Diamond would be Gold. I hope someone shares what they actually received. Thanks!

Read this post.....

When I found out about the MSC status match I went and signed up for the black card.

We made diamond on RCI a few cruises ago in 2007 and don't see ourselves ever making Diamond Plus (besides there is no real benefit).

And now even Diamond status is nearly worthless with Royal Caribbean's new pricing and their refusal to combine both the $300 obc (which everyone gets) with the diamond discount.