Another packing list question- Alaska

If you want to go really light, pack half the clothes you need & use the laundry/dry cleaning service. That's what DH does and he travels for 10-days in a small roll aboard. I still tend to have the 49.5 pound massive bag.

But for Alaska, you could limit some of the double packing for weather changes by getting the convertible pants and shirts (pants with legs that zip off to create shorts, shirts with long sleeves that zip off to short sleeves). That type of stuff tends to be lightweight enough that you can drip dry - so you could probably take enough for just 2 days and wash something in the sink every evening. (Again, I could never do this, but some can!)

Do plan on layers - not a massive heavy jacket, but instead a short sleeved t, long sleeved shirt, sweater and waterproof windbreaker. Limit shoes (but bring 2 pairs because Alaska can be wet!). We found that people tended to dress more casually at night, so I didn't need a bunch of dressy dresses - just one black dress and several scarves.

Hope this helps!

We went on HAL in 2011 and even that older crowd dressed less formal at night. We also only had a light mist on 2 of the 14 days and 70-80F days. I left my light weight parka in the luggage and bought an inexpensive lightly lined windbreaker in Ketchikan. I brought along very light weight water resistant pull on pants that didn't take up much space and never used them. Glad I had them though as every other person I know who has cruised Alaska has gotten drenched. I totally agree with whoever told me that if I needed something I could buy it right near the port in Ketchikan and they do not up the prices. So, yes, layers, jeans, long sleeve crew Ts, cotton or light wool sweaters, shorts and at least one short sleeve polo and you can layer it under a sweater on a cold night if needed. Oh, that Avon sunscreen with bug repellent in it. Yes, big mosquitos!

I beyond over packed for Alaska. I mean brought home 3 evening outfits unworn over packed!

Even my dress shoes I could've swapped out for the ballet flats I usually wear on the plane. When it came to sneakers I brought 2 pairs--really would've been fine with only one.

Jeans can worn more than once, most days I did a pair with a tee and one of the 3 cardigans I bought. I have a light weight Eddie Bauer anorak which integrates with a fleece vest, that combination was perfect.

I also had the 80 degree day which for me was just a short sleeve shirt, jeans, and flip flops. The one thing I under packed was yoga pants and a day pack. I only had one pair of yoga pants, definitely should've packed 2 for sea days. The land sea tour said one bag with you and 1 to move. I ended up with a small tote bag purchased en route--I never really wanted a backpack but needed something bigger than my wallet bag when off ship.

Edited by pezhead

As much as I enjoy Formal Night, just skipping that would make packing so much easier. Layering over short sleeve shirts and using sweats for PJs and an extra outfit might reduce volume. Tacky I know but AK cruises are informal. I would not cut back on a second pair of sneakers. I've been drenched on some AK excursions.

Thank you all soooo much. This is excellent information! I would have never thought about insect repellent and bug bites drive me insane. The wet shoe advise will be put to good use and we will be bring water resistant light layers instead of bulky coats for sure. Thank you so much for all of this!

1. Skip formal nights; that eliminates a whole lot of extra stuff. Eat in the buffet or another casual dining venue those nights

2. Take advantage of the ship's laundry so you only have to pack enough for 4 days or so max.

3. Dress in layers, and choose solid colors that mix and match.

4. Keep in mind that things like jeans, dressier pants worn only a few hours in the evening, sweaters and sweatshirts can be worn multiple times before they need to be laundered.

5. Pare down toiletries to only what you truly NEED. Ex. You may have a 7 step skincare process at home but you can probably manage a week with just 2-3 steps and thus have much less to pack. Likewise, skip a lot of the "just in case" OTC meds and other items. You aren't leaving the civilized world, and will be able to purchase anything you might happen to have a sudden need for when you are in port.

With all that in mind, and having done an Alaska cruise I'd suggest something along these lines:

For daytime, take 2 pairs of jeans and 1 pair of shorts (just in case of really warm temps). Take 2-3 short sleeve shirts and 2 long sleeve shirts. Add a lightweight sweater, a fleece and a waterproof windbreaker and layer those as necessary. We found temps ranged from mild to chilly. Sometimes just a long-sleeve t-shirt was ok by mid afternoon; other times I wanted 3 layers. For travel days, choose from among the above items; that reduces the amount you actually have to pack. Find 1 pair of really good walking shoes or sneakers and wear those on travel day. Throw in a swimsuit if you plan to use the hot tubs.

For evenings, take 2 basic, neutral bottoms. I'd select either 2 pair of black pants (different styles), or a black skirt and black pants, and then one pair of black evening shoes (pumps, sandals, whatever your preference is). Then add 3-4 nice tops that go with either. You can likely wear them twice (if they are only for evenings) without needing to launder, or send them with other things to be cleaned mid-cruise. Add 1 cardigan or pashmina if you think you'll be chilly.

You should be able to fit all of that in a carry on sized suitcase and maybe a backpack that fits under the seat. Use the backpack as a day bag when in port. You can pack a small clutch to use as a bag onboard in the evenings.

Edited by waterbug123

I have been to Alaska 4 times, most recently in May of this year.

As usual, we all have different opinions about what clothes to bring

and how to pack.

I enjoy the formal nights and those clothes did not take up any

extra space (as opposed to any other clothes).....a long black skirt

in a jersey material folds up to nothing with a pretty knit top worked

well for me on formal night. Of course, it is up to you but I enjoy the

main dining room. Another skirt, in a black and white print (same

jersey material and a black top) was what I wore on the 2nd formal night.

I agree with the layering suggestion. I do that everytime....everyone

packs differently but I have to say I have never exceeded the 50lb limit

on any of my cruises. I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on and that is

for Alaska too.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Alaska is amazing:)

I would first start with what you wear off the ship. The key to make things as comfortable for you as possible is to layer clothing and I do recommend a water proof jacket with hood, a fleece or sweat shirt or seater, hat, scarf and gloves and waterproof type of pants. It really helps.

At night is wear you can be more efficient and that is to bring items that you wear more than once and tops that you can wear with the same type of skirt or pants. Another key is to select outfits that minimize how many shoes you need.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

You asked for a packing list. Below is my packing list for our 2013 Alaska trip. On the plane, I wore an outfit from this list that included my heaviest, cognac boots. I hand carried my ivory 3/4 length rain parka (earmuffs and gloves in the pockets) and was able to pack in my carry-on and purse/diaper bag. No, at 59, I have no need for diapers, but the little compartments make packing easy. The packed tiny cross-body bag works for all but evening dining room time when I carry my glitzy clutch. The clutch holds my ziploc of makeup enroute to the ship.

Tanks: ivory lace tank

peach drape tank

red/peach/cream drape tank

SS Top: aqua cashmere T

red cashmere T

3/4 SL: sapphire drape T

starburst drape T

red/blue/green drape T

Cardigans: navy/aqua/ivory argyle cardi

red cashmere cardi

sapphire drape 3/4 sl cardi

Pants: NYDJeans

navy Columbia Pants

brown slacks

denim leggings

Shoes: cognac boots

brown or red flats

dress sandals

aqua or gold flips

Socks: navy dress smartwools

brown dress smartwools

boot smartwools

knee-high hose (2)

Undies: 2 bras - 3 panties

Scarves: donation scarf

aqua woven scarf

db polka dot scarf

red w-multi stripe scarf

Red-yellow bandana

brown pashima

blue/peach/pink Scarf

Jewelry: gold hoops-medallion

medallion necklace

Africa earrings

Africa necklace/bracelet

long sparkly earrings

sparkly bracelet

gold or red earrings

pearl stud earrings

pearl necklace

belt

Extras: makeup in dress clutch

safety pins

3-prong plug adapter

medicine

deodorant

razor

earplugs

floss & large needle

toothbrush & paste

1 gallon ziploc bag

inflatable travel pillow

travel tickets and info

business cards

tiny crossbody purse

$1 rain ponchos

cell phone & charger

camera, SD card & charger

Extras: 2 gallon ziploc bags

swimsuit & cover-up

visor or hat

dryer sheets for static

Binoculars

Video & Charger (DH pack)

Daypack (DH pack)

3-1-1: Hairspray

Toothpaste

Bullfrog (sun & bug)

Cetaphil

Sun Oil

Nasal gel

Mascara

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have a go-to list for packing as light as possible for a 7 day Alaska cruise? I know- packing light and Alaskan cruise sound like an oxymoron.

It would be very helpful if you could include when you are going and the cruise line. Packing for July and August is different than it is for May & September. Also, different cruise lines have different dress codes.

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto most of this.....definitely layers; do count on getting damp (and then you won't!); nothing too fancy but nice to be able to feel a little dressy at dinner such as jersey dress or skirt/top; minimal jewelry (might want to pick up some Alaska gold.....don't bother with the emerald or other gemstone companies who do Alaska in summer and Caribbean in winter!) Ask in towns for local artists or jewelers' work....usually cheaper and makes a more meaningful souvenir.

We've only needed insect repellent once but always carry it.........There are brands such as Off that have available the little foil packets with a towel inside. Easy to stick in pocket for day excursions, no weight and you don't have to mess with a bottle or can!

Enjoy Alaska; would go back at the drop of a hat!!!

A couple of things that worked for me: I wore my chunkiest shoes (walking boots) on the plane, along with shirt, light sweater, denim jacket, rain jacket. So none of those had to be packed.

I packed my down jacket in a compression bag (like a big ziplock; stuff, sit on to force out the air). I packed my other wool sweaters in another one. I found wool much lighter and less bulky than sweatshirts.

I did take three formals plus dresses for the other evenings. None took up much space, and everything easily fit into one suitcase.

Has anyone mentioned taking sunblock? Hours spent on top deck watching the scenery can take its toll!

My advice is also to layer: t-shirts, lightweight fleece, rain jacket. I don't wear/bring jeans because they are too heavy and horrific when wet so for Alaska I brought lightweight technical hiking pants that dry quickly. The convertible kind would spare you having to bring additional shorts but I brought shorts and my hiking pants don't zip off at the knee. I brought my waterproof hiking sneakers and then what I would typically wear aboard the ship. I like to dress for dinner so I didn't give that up. We went late in the season so I also brought a Patagonia down sweater (packs up tiny and super light) and a cotton knit hat and cotton knit gloves to keep the chill off. It was 70s in Vancouver but definitely chilly in Glacier Bay and I was very comfortable in my down sweater.