Istanbul removed from 2016/17 cruises?

harz99

On her return in Feb/Mar. 2017 I thought she was also scheduled to stop in Istanbul, but I could be wrong since I wasn't too interested in the return cruises.

No the return from Singapore and Dubai in March/April 2017 was never going to Istanbul. Before we booked Istanbul-Singapore we looked at the reverse trip and it was always going to Venice at a far greater price too!!

Mike

We were booked on the Star; Istanbul-Singapore starting on Oct 31 2016. We are now booked for Rome- Singapore starting Oct 30 2016 with quite a change in the itinerary. No Istanbul and no reasons given for the change.

Mike

Interesting, on ncls website I can still book it from Istanbul on the 31.

No the return from Singapore and Dubai in March/April 2017 was never going to Istanbul. Before we booked Istanbul-Singapore we looked at the reverse trip and it was always going to Venice at a far greater price too!!

Mike

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying, as I said, I didn't have much interest in that part. :) Glad we decided to pass on those cruises for now anyway. Still gotta find a way to make it to down under. :D

Interesting, on ncls website I can still book it from Istanbul on the 31.

On the NA website, you can't even find Istanbul or October Star cruises so no chance of anyone here booking that cruise. :p

Edited by All-ready2cruise

What a shame that a few can ruin things for so many. I found Istanbul one of the most charming cities in the world. I went for an early walk on a sunday morning before our ship departed. Many people spoke to me, and had one shop owner open his door and give me a sample from his bakery. Too bad for the merchants - they really need the tourist dollars!

Really hope the ships will put it back on the map for future cruises!

So What about the summer 12 days Cruises ? They keep the stop At Istanbul ?

I think they Will And start work in winter ..

Looks like NCL is keeping Istanbul as one of the ports of call, but removed Istanbul as the Embarkation/Disembarkation port.

Edited by bluesea777

There is definitely work going to happen in late 2016 and 2017 to update the Galata Port in Istanbul so that is almost certainly the reason. Other cruise lines are having to make similar adjustments. I dare say there will be a size or congestion issue even if some ships can still dock somewhere there.

It is a real shame that there will hardly be any cruises stopping at Istanbul because it is one of the most fantastic cities in the world and the people are extremely friendly as well. The history surrounding the city is priceless and it neeeds to be seen to be believed.

I seriously doubt that the change has been made for security reasons because firstly the political situation could be so much different in the long-term times we are talking about and secondly, the alternative two days in Haifa and the surounding areas are hardly the most peaceful places in the world at the moment.

Edited by old nutter
spelling

If you don't think this change was made for security reasons....um....well what can I say? Bridge for sale perhaps?

The port construction is just an easy excuse

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your theory holds no water. Many lines, including NCL, are still stopping in Istanbul. The other lines are also replacing ports with alternatives such as Haifa and Ashdod. Do you honestly think the other lines, including NCL would deem it safe for a day stop but not overnight? Celebrity still has an overnight because they got the berth. Granted anything can happen but this port construction is not new. It's an ongoing issue and has been problematic for over a year now.

Back in August when NCL did the mass cancelations and redeployments I was simply shocked that NCL announced their new and exciting itineraries including the Spirit with embarkation/debarkation in Istanbul given all the trouble with construction that everyone else had. not to mention potential problems with safety. All that mass cancelation and reworking the schedules. All the upset customers who had their cruises canceled on the Epic. And now it's announced that Istanbul in November and December are not going to be the embarkation and debarkation. Who handles this kind of stuff for Ncl?

If I, a simple consumer, wouldn't book Istanbul as an embarkation port on this new itinerary due to all the issues with construction, I assume someone at NCL in charge of this stuff might have thought about that as well prior to the mass changes they did late August. After what happened with the mass NCL cancelation/redeployment, I wouldn't trust any line to stick to the itineraries they sell. I will only book dates where I have at least three options on three lines. Filling these ships without mass price dumping will be interesting to monitor, especially now with NCL's track record of how they help out discarded customers.

I really do wonder what the US media puts out about the rest of the world that makes so many people think that all of these overseas places are so dangerous that nobody should visit them without being in fear of their lives. Yes there are problems in some places and visiting countries that are actually or virtually at war is probably not very sensible. I would certainly cross Syria and Afganistan off my tourist "must go's" for now. Maybe it is living in a country with the highest occurence of mass shootings on the planet that makes people nervous that everywhere else has to be more dangerous than that!

I really don't know what it is, but just look at the statistics and then assess the likelyhood of being killed or injured when you are travelling around the world and you will see that the percentages are much higher. Crossing the road or probably even staying in your home are much more dangerous. You are probably even more at risk travelling from your own home to the port! When you ar abroard, do the same as you would anywhere in your own home town or city - keep your eyes open, stay aware of your surroundings and don't make it obvious that you are carrying money or valuables and dress sensibly. Just the same things as you would do going around any city at home.

Whatever you do, don't let the sensationalist media headlines stop you from seeing what wonderful places there are to see beyond your shores. Going back to the subject specifically of visiting Istanbul, it probably has the most fascinating history and the most interesting stories to tell anywere in the world. You will see magnificent buildings that date back hundreds and in some cases, thousands of years. Some of them still in pristine condition. If you stay overnight you can witness the evening calls from the minarettes across the city. It is the most hauntingly beautiful sound you will ever hear - an entire city calling it's inhabitants to prayer. Don't let anyone put you off exteriencing this if you can, even if you have to wait until the new port has been finished.

One year ago today I was sitting in the grounds of the Topkapi Palace enjoying the crisp sunny day. Jade was my floating hotel over Christmas and New Year. What a difference a year makes.

We were on the same sailing as you, very sad, Istanbul was my favorite port

I really do wonder what the US media puts out about the rest of the world that makes so many people think that all of these overseas places are so dangerous that nobody should visit them without being in fear of their lives. Yes there are problems in some places and visiting countries that are actually or virtually at war is probably not very sensible. I would certainly cross Syria and Afganistan off my tourist "must go's" for now. Maybe it is living in a country with the highest occurence of mass shootings on the planet that makes people nervous that everywhere else has to be more dangerous than that!

I really don't know what it is, but just look at the statistics and then assess the likelyhood of being killed or injured when you are travelling around the world and you will see that the percentages are much higher. Crossing the road or probably even staying in your home are much more dangerous. You are probably even more at risk travelling from your own home to the port! When you ar abroard, do the same as you would anywhere in your own home town or city - keep your eyes open, stay aware of your surroundings and don't make it obvious that you are carrying money or valuables and dress sensibly. Just the same things as you would do going around any city at home.

Whatever you do, don't let the sensationalist media headlines stop you from seeing what wonderful places there are to see beyond your shores. Going back to the subject specifically of visiting Istanbul, it probably has the most fascinating history and the most interesting stories to tell anywere in the world. You will see magnificent buildings that date back hundreds and in some cases, thousands of years. Some of them still in pristine condition. If you stay overnight you can witness the evening calls from the minarettes across the city. It is the most hauntingly beautiful sound you will ever hear - an entire city calling it's inhabitants to prayer. Don't let anyone put you off exteriencing this if you can, even if you have to wait until the new port has been finished.

Sure, its not like a cruise ship has ever been attacked by terrorist or pirates:rolleyes:

Edited by Laszlo

No?

October 7 1985

MS Achille Lauro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achille_Lauro_hijacking if you want a history update.:o

I guess you chaps in the UK don't understand Sarcasm, you know the little rolling eyes icon. Now we need a Bang Head here icon

Sure, its not like a cruise ship has ever been attacked by terrorist or pirates:rolleyes:

Edited by Laszlo

I guess you chaps in the UK don't understand Sarcasm, you know the little rolling eyes icon. Now we need a Bang Head here icon

Not quite so. I was not aiming to refute the fact of it happening, just the statistical relevance of the historical data counteracting the point of that particular use of sarcasm - probably too subtle in this case. My original discussion point was around the statistics of danger and risk. Whilst one cruise passenger death is regrettable, particularly to friends and family, over 30 years and goodness knows how many cruise miles, it is a statistically insignificant point in the discussion about risk surrounding cruises.

Not quite so. I was not aiming to refute the fact of it happening, just the statistical relevance of the historical data counteracting the point of that particular use of sarcasm - probably too subtle in this case. My original discussion point was around the statistics of danger and risk. Whilst one cruise passenger death is regrettable, particularly to friends and family, over 30 years and goodness knows how many cruise miles, it is a statistically insignificant point in the discussion about risk surrounding cruises.

Just a coupe of comments/opinion from someone who lives in the good ol' USA...

-One passenger death is horrific....IMHO to call it regrettable is disrespectful.

One person is too many.

-Anyone who works with statistics knows these can and are slanted/biased to make things look the best the can so this argument about danger and risk is not a concrete or even relevant argument; relevance is an opinion.

-We, who live in the USA are now targeted just because we live here so we may want to use extra caution. Most of us do not want to have to live with being unsafe; IMHO there are other places in the world that accept a higher danger risk than we wish to......just our preferred way of life.

-We also want to know about the possible dangers when we travel, so the media in this instance is a good thing; knowledge is always power. So to dismiss what has happened in other countries as nothing seems naïve, JMHO.

Happy and safe cruising all!!

Maybe Old Nutter was thrown by your use of the word "ever" rather than using "never"? Most Brits would have said never in the context you are using. Two different words intended by the users to convey the same thing.

Similarly, Brits say "couldn't care less" and most North Americans say "could care less" when they mean the same thing.

Looks like Disney dropped not only Turkey but also Greece on its sailings for the 2016 season. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6718

It certainly wouldn't take too much to cripple a cruise ship in that part of the world, speed boat filled with explosives and a couple of ISIS fanatics! Remember the USS Cole?